Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAVE THE NBA! SPREAD THIS POST!

Default SAVE THE NBA! SPREAD THIS POST!

Given the fact that a vast majority of fans now believe that the NBA officials can not be trusted, we have decided to make it as easy as possible for you to contact your local congressman in order to urge them to call for congressional hearings into the matter.

If you truly care about the game and want to feel secure in knowing that situations like the Donaghy case and his accusations are no longer part of professional basketball, we the fans need to take matters into our own hands and contact our congressional representatives for hearings into the matter.

Remember. No matter how forthright the NBA claims it is being with us, it was the FBI who discovered the improprieties involving the refs- not the NBA! We can not trust that the league will objectively investigate and fix the problems we have all perceived all these years. And if congress can spend time and energy cleaning up baseball and steroids, then it should certainly look into the possibility of tampering by NBA officials.

Below is a sample text that you can submit to your rep by clicking on the link below. Feel free to add your own thoughts.

I am writing today first as a consumer and second as a fan of the NBA. I care about the sport, but am very concerned that league officials have lost their sense of impartiality and professionalism. It is important that you help us regain our trust in the commercial sports performances that have been severely broken recently. Frankly, the officiating has been broken a long time. In which other sport do fans worry that involvement by the referees will end up determining the outcome of key games more then they do in the NBA?
    It's time to launch an official investigation now, during a time when the public's confidence is shaken by headlines reporting the breach of trust by corporate executives. You must help us find a maintained a sense of impartiality and professionalism in commercial sports. I and other NBA fans urge you to order a review of the game's officiating, perceptions and suspicions, however presently absent any evidence, will abound. I look forward to your response and action on my behalf.

Take a couple of minutes and submit your letter to your local representative here:

https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml

And don't forget to spread this message everywhere! Be it via e-mail, by posting it on other forums or voting for it on the social networks where it appears. The time is now to fix this league!
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: SAVE THE NBA! SPREAD THIS POST!

I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of NBA fans just aren't very bright....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I understand that you are frustrated by all of this, but was this really called for?

Sam has been a well respected fan of another team, just like you are, and I'm not sure that this is what she deserved just for expressing her opinion.

Yes, this is exactly where I want the US Congress focusing their energy.

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

I personally beleive our Government has no business wasting time or energy
    or resources poking its nose into affairs such as these.

These are issues dealing with entertainment whose visitation is optional,
    not life and death.

Do not waste our Congressman's time with such nonsense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally beleive our Government has no business wasting time or energy
    or resources poking its nose into affairs such as these.

These are issues dealing with entertainment whose visitation is optional,
    not life and death.

Do not waste our Congressman's time with such nonsense.

Yeah, like our Congressman are reallly tending to the country's business. Here is a novel idea, how about they spend less time on the golf course and more time actually working. Congress is nonsense at it's glory.

If you really think Congress spends it's time debating matters of life and death, I suggest you watch C-SPAN sometime.

The NBA, and all professional sports in general, may be "entertainment", but they are also multi-billion dollar businesses, who benefit greatly, enormously, tremendously, from antitrust exemptions.

Think of it this way. Imagine if a high-level employee of an oil company got arrested for fixing gas prices, and made specific allegations against both his company and others for price gouging and collusion. You think TPTB calling him a lone renegade, saying, "Why, we wouldn't be doing such a thing, that'd be a felony", would stop Congress from investigating? Would you say, "Congress should be worried about the war, leave the oil companies to the SEC."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
    Yeah, like our Congressman are reallly tending to the country's business. Here is a novel idea, how about they spend less time on the golf course and more time actually working. Congress is nonsense at it's glory.
    Here is the political-related part of PD. Hicks doesn't really want it here anymore. Register, we need good members.

http://pignash.proboards67.com/index.cgi?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I understand that you are frustrated by all of this, but was this really called for?

Sam has been a well respected fan of another team, just like you are, and I'm not sure that this is what she deserved just for expressing her opinion.
    I didn't reference her specifically.

All I said was, if the vast majority of NBA fans really dance to everything Tim Donaghy says, then I've lost respect for the vast majority. Logic is being gleefully tossed aside here in favor of fantasy land.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think a Spurs fan is the last person who should suspect wrong doing by the NBA. Does anyone really think the league was happy that team won 4 titles with their lousy ratings?

Probably not, but they kept winning and winning...when you know their were other teams the league would have probably rather seen up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of NBA fans just aren't very bright....

Was that really called for?

Most of the people believe there's enough smoke to see if there is fire. They don't believe letting the fox (Stern) guard the henhouse is going to actually put any of this to rest.

I have no idea how a simple fan with no connections what-so-ever to the NBA could consider himself the definitive source on this issue... but that is how you are coming across (whether intentional or not). The vast majority of people aren't claiming anything definitively, but are simply saying the question marks need answered and potentially a new type of oversight needs brought to the game. I see that as open-minded and forward thinking.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Here is the political-related part of PD. Hicks doesn't really want it here anymore. Register, we need good members.

True enough.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I think a Spurs fan is the last person who should suspect wrong doing by the NBA. Does anyone really think the league was happy that team won 4 titles with their lousy ratings?

Probably not, but they kept winning and winning...when you know their were other teams the league would have probably rather seen up there.
    Remember that many who question the integrity of the NBA's officials are not also saying they fix the outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ....if the vast majority of NBA fans really dance to everything Tim Donaghy says ...
    What about the people who don't believe anything Donaghy says, but who believe his conviction?

The mere fact that the NBA hired and employed this scumbag, and kept him on the NBA payroll for several years while he was committing crimes against the league, is embarrassing.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post

I just might take you up on that offer dc . I usually sleep during the day due to the line of work that I have chosen to pursue, so my posting would be limited to the afternoon. I don't know if I qualify as a good future member, but I will give it a whirl.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    What about the people who don't believe anything Donaghy says, but who believe his conviction?

The mere fact that the NBA hired and employed this scumbag, and kept him on the NBA payroll for several years while he was committing crimes against the league, is embarrassing.
    Not to mention that they suspected him, did an internal investigation, and turned up nothing.

The NBA is either corrupt or incompetent (or both).

If I can't trust the NBA then it's a sure bet I can't trust the government.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

woman without a team

SamBear,

I don't know about your local representative, but I wouldn't trust mine to walk a dog let alone investigate anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

Come on - if the guy is smooth enough to get away with cheating the game for years, then he's smooth enough to not come across as a scum bag during the hiring and reviewing process.

I really can't see the man on the street saying "Yeah, now that there's a congressional hearing going on, my concerns with the NBA are over."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd rather just stop watching the NBA then have Congress get involved....if it came to that point. Which for me, it has not.

The thing I just don't understand is this. Just because I in no way qustion the integrity of the officials or Stern, that doesn't mean they don't make some horible calls from time to time. And the NBA has admitted game 6 Kings lakers was a poorly officiated game. But why so many make the leap that the NBA intentionally influenced the outcome, I just don't understand it.

It is like someone questioning whether Garnett really wants to win, every time he misses a shot

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    It is like someone questioning whether Garnett really wants to win, every time he misses a shot

Does he hang out with Donaghy or Peter Rose? If he does I've got questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The thing I just don't understand is this. Just because I in no way qustion the integrity of the officials or Stern, that doesn't mean they don't make some horible calls from time to time. And the NBA has admitted game 6 Kings lakers was a poorly officiated game. But why so many make the leap that the NBA intentionally influenced the outcome, I just don't understand it.
    Because this stuff has been floating around for years!! It is just now being publicized because someone has actually accused the NBA publicly. I just don't understand why you vehemently say that there's no possible way this could be true. Watch an NBA game man, the NBA officiating is whacky.

Sometimes I do think the NBA is fixed. Not speaking in terms of games only, but with some of the trades that happen. For example, Gasol and Sheed. I just don't see how any sensible GM would agree to get shafted like that. Also with the draft and the lottery, who knows the business that takes place in that respect.