Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FBI questions officials more about "Knick" Bavetta than Donaghy...

Default FBI questions officials more about "Knick" Bavetta than Donaghy...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3439554

Article link, but wasn't it "Knick" Bavetta who made the infamous continuation call on Larry Johnson's and+1 which eventually sank the Pacers one year???

Default Re: FBI questions officials more about "Knick" Bavetta than Donaghy...

No, I'm pretty sure Jess Kersey was responsible for the LJ 4-pt play.

A name that will live in infamy...
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

GD Kersey
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kersey once lit Micahel Jordan up for a technical foul late in the 4th quarter of an NBA finals game, in Chicago nontheless.

It led to the Bulls blowing a big lead late in the game, and they lost in overtime.

I'll always respect Kersey for that. I've never once questioned his impartiality.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll always respect Kersey for that. I've never once questioned his impartiality.
    I imagine Pacers fans are perhaps more interested in his competency.

This must be wrong... I thought we were told the FBI had concluded its investigation and all was hunky dory.

Whether there is a conspiracy, grudges, manipulations, massaging or whatever else... if all of this leads to better (more CONSISTENT) officiating then I'm all for it. The game will be better for it... even if it means some 'stars' will shine a little less brightly.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This must be wrong... I thought we were told the FBI had concluded its investigation and all was hunky dory.
    ...so let me get this straight: if th FBI doesn't investigate Donaghy's accusation, something is wrong.

...and if they DO investigate them ,that also means something is wrong?

Whether there is a conspiracy, grudges, manipulations, massaging or whatever else... if all of this leads to better (more CONSISTENT) officiating then I'm all for it. The game will be better for it... even if it means some 'stars' will shine a little less brightly.
    I explained the concept of superstar calls in the other thread. You never bothered to address it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

I explained the concept of superstar calls in the other thread. You never bothered to address it.
    If you want to play that game, there's more than one (good) comment you never bothered to address in the other thread on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If you want to play that game, there's more than one (good) comment you never bothered to address in the other thread on this.
    If there's one that answered a question I left out there, feel free to point it out to me.

yes because Donaghy made some allegations against Dick

Superstar calls are a big part of the problem, but it isn't the only issue. I really can't believe anyone in anyway would suggest that NBA officiating is consistant. There are plenty of examples that suggest otherwise, but my favorite is always the '98 bulls / pacers ECF. Pippen simply molested Mark Jackson for the first two games then gets called for two quick fouls in game 3 for doing what he had been doing for the first two games. I fail to see the consistancy in that. Of course Pippen was on the road some maybe he wasn't playing with as much energy and didn't move his feet quite well enough.....or maybe it was because the pacers were at home and bird called out the officiating prior to the game.

Knick Bavetta was officiating that game..

Here is a great collection of NBA playoff games officiated by Bavetta...

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1457311

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Here is a great collection of NBA playoff games officiated by Bavetta...

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1457311
    Thanks, I was looking for that.

What's the pattern in all of those games? The bigger market received the favorable calls in EVERY INSTANCE.

Bavetta also called game 7 of the '98 ECF, game 4 of the 2000 Finals, and my personal favorite, March 12th, 2000, Heat at Pacers, where our 25-game home winning streak ended. That's the game that I turned to Grace as I saw Bavetta walk on the court and said, "We just lost this game."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Of course Stern could always counter that the NBA just has low standards for their refs. How else can it be explained that Violet Palmer still has a job?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Of course Stern could always counter that the NBA just has low standards for their refs. How else can it be explained that Violet Palmer still has a job?

-Bball
    Oh God, don't even get me started on Violet Palmer. Talk about being the token female referee. She's hands-down the worst ref in the league, and that's saying something.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Based on my reading of the story, this is people naming names about who they were questioned on during that investigation, not a new one.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Thanks, I was looking for that.

What's the pattern in all of those games? The bigger market received the favorable calls in EVERY INSTANCE.
    Wait a minute, first you would have to watch each game and carefully chart every call and every non-call, then you have to see what Dick calld and didn't call. There is no way you can see a list of games and say yes Bevetta gave the bigger market favorable calls. All those games are at least 5 years old.

I really should just stay away from this debate, because I just truly don't understand THE "OTHER SIDE" OF the argument. It makes zero sense to me and I must admit I think anyone who believes that the NBA in one form or another is trying to unduly influence the outcome of games - I believe they are 100%. I'm trying to control what I say here

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Wait a minute, first you would have to watch each game and carefully chart every call and every non-call, then you have to see what Dick calld and didn't call. There is no way you can see a list of games and say yes Bevetta gave the bigger market favorable calls. All those games are at least 5 years old.

I really should just stay away from this debate, because I just truly don't understand THE "OTHER SIDE" OF the argument. It makes zero sense to me and I must admit I think anyone who believes that the NBA in one form or another is trying to unduly influence the outcome of games - I believe they are 100%. I'm trying to control what I say here
    I remember thinking the same thing at the times the games were originally played. There's further documentation within that link.

Conversely, I honestly don't see how people can see some of the things that make you go and still believe that there's nothing strange going on behind the scenes. Some of it seems pretty obvious to me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure Jess Kersey was responsible for the LJ 4-pt play.

A name that will live in infamy...

It was Dick "The Knick" Bavetta that made that call. I can still see him signaling that the bucket counted clearly in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In the article Bill Simmons wrote about Game 4 he linked to an article he wrote in 2002 right after the Kings lost to the Lakers. In that article he names a set of games starting with the 4-Point play game that he believes were questionably officiated. Every single one of the games he mentions were officiated by Bavetta. On top of mention the 4-point play game, he also mentions game 6 of that same series.

EDIT: Simmons in his 2002 article said Kersey was the one who made that call.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Kersey made the call. Bucher wrote an article in ESPN Mag a little over a year later where Kersey said he felt horrible about it and that he'll have to live with it the rest of his life. Which, of course, makes it all better.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Oh God, don't even get me started on Violet Palmer. Talk about being the token female referee. She's hands-down the worst ref in the league, and that's saying something.
    No she's not. That guy they brought up from the WNBA is worse.

woman without a team

ATTENTION UNCLE BUCK:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    That's the game that I turned to Grace as I saw Bavetta walk on the court and said, "We just lost this game."
    Either Kegboy is right about the referees or he can predict the future. Which one is it?