Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cowherd: JO most overrated

Banned

Default Cowherd: JO most overrated

A few minutes ago Colin Cowherd said that Jermaine ONeal is the most overrated player in the NBA over the last 15 years! Herd says a lot of dumb things, but this time I think he got one right. Pacers will never be able to trade JO because no other teams wants him

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cowherd: JO most overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few minutes ago Colin Cowherd said that Jermaine ONeal is the most overrated player in the NBA over the last 15 years! Herd says a lot of dumb things, but this time I think he got one right. Pacers will never be able to trade JO because no other teams wants him
    That dipwad has had a thing about the P's for forever. He was the first and loudest voice I heard shouting about Artest. I make an intentional habit of not listening to him.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I tend to agree with him as well... at this point, I'd probably say he's more overpaid than overrated, because to be really honest... I don't think he is very highly valued at all around the league right now.

He also said the Celtic's had ZERO chance at winning the NBA title when they traded for Garnett. Why...Because everyone know's that Defense win's championships and Garnett, Allen, & Paul Perice are all known for being very soft and don't know squat about playing D....This is also a guy who will tell you he does not like basketball. I like Herd personally but when it comes to the NBA I would not worry much about Collins views.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No.. He's not overrated at all.. He got injured, which seemingly ruined his career.. We all know he isn't capable of much now.. But remember just a few years back when him Garnett and Duncan were fighting for the MVP award?? He used to be awesome.. But the injury messed him up.. I think he is just taking in the past couple years when JO has been playing hurt.

He is overpaid.. Not overrated.

Cowherd has repeatedly shown that he has zero knowledge of any sport besides college football. He's a no-talent ***, and I feel sorry for anyone who listens to him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    No.. He's not overrated at all.. He got injured, which seemingly ruined his career.. We all know he isn't capable of much now.. But remember just a few years back when him Garnett and Duncan were fighting for the MVP award?? He used to be awesome.. But the injury messed him up.. I think he is just taking in the past couple years when JO has been playing hurt.

He is overpaid.. Not overrated.
    Overpaid = Overrated. By Pacer standards he may have been a "franchise" player but in a comparison with past and present "franchise" players he doesn't, and hasn't, measured up.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

When JO was signed to that contract, it didn't look nearly as outrageous as it does now. So Cowherd is a little late to the party. If he had said this the day JO signed that contract he would have been on to something. Otherwise he is just regurgitating a statement most people know.
    JO is overpaid, but overpaid players get traded quite often in this day and age.
    Take a look at JKidd and Shaq. Neither of them deserve the money they are currently making.
    I'm rambling right now, but I just don't think anyone saying JO is overpaid or overrated right now is very ground breaking.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

No one else kind of thought JO was a little overated all those years of turn around jumper misses?? He's not a bad player, but honestly I have always kind of thought he was a little overrated.

J.O. isn't even 'rated' at all. If he was an EKG printout, he'd be a
    flatline. He's basically been a (ridiculously expensive) non-entity
    for two years now.

Wether he'll be more than that from here on out, who knows. If
    I was a cynic, I'd add, who cares.

Starbury is outraged by this statement.

But what IF Purdue ran the table?

[yt]anAD4Wp0DgA[/yt]

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I'm just waiting for relish to turn into Batman.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Come on. The last fifteen years includes Harold Minor.

And Olowokandi. And Joe Smith.

And Shareef.

And Sarunus and Shawne Williams and Fred Jones and Austin Croshere and Jon Bender.

JO isn't even the fifth most overrated Pacer in the past 15 years.

He may be perpetually injured now, but he earned his max contract from 2002-2004. I know people tried to avoid watching the EC during those years but at that point in time the only other player in the conference that was even close to JO's level of play was after Jason Kidd was traded to the Nets.

Granted, that was 30 pounds ago. JO just hasn't been healthy enough to prove it since.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Starbury is outraged by this statement.
    Starbury is barely in the NBA right now.
    He's more of a sideshow act at this point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We need a hard definition of "overrated."

JO was severely underrated in Portland.

Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic were far, far more overrated coming out of the draft than JO.

Cowherd must be drinking the with this morning.

I mean Rashard Lewis is more overrated than JO at least by the Orlando Magic.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    But what IF Cowherd had the intelligence of a gnat?

Fixed.

The intelligence of a gnat....and the mouth of a roaring lion.

Sure, the guy is a pestilence on the Earth. I wouldn't believe anything he said about anything. But if he said it as funnily as he slapped down Purdue Pete, I willing to laugh.
    Last edited by Putnam; 06-12-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Cowherd has repeatedly shown that he has zero knowledge of any sport besides college football. He's a no-talent ***, and I feel sorry for anyone who listens to him.
    I've grown to enjoy his show and also appreciate that he doesn't not believe the Donaghy allegations. (he does discuss college football way too much)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I've grown to enjoy his show and also appreciate that he doesn't not believe the Donaghy allegations. (he does discuss college football way too much)
    Herd had his "Top 10 reasons to think your NBA game might be fixed".

#5 - "If the ref is open he takes the shot."
    #4 - "Scoreboard disclaimer - all scores approximate."

Otherwise I stand with Kegboy on Herd. He's not quite SAS, but he'd like to be.

JO is overrated like Grant Hill ended up overrated. Injuries don't make you overrated unless people are still saying "he's great right now". Who's saying that? NO ONE has JO valued high, specifically because of his injuries and reduced output.

Honestly if JO is truly healthy again this season then right now he's being seriously underrated. But how can anyone expect him to be at that level of health given the history? There is no way ANYONE is trading the kind of pieces you'd have to trade for JO if he returns to 2003 pace. Someone would be getting a hella deal if JO turns out to be back, including the Pacers if they keep him. That's because no one expects that, thus they value him low.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-12-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Overpaid = Overrated. By Pacer standards he may have been a "franchise" player but in a comparison with past and present "franchise" players he doesn't, and hasn't, measured up.
    I'm going to disagree with at least the first part of this. Overpaid may mean that someone, at some point, rated the guy more highly than he deserved, but I tend to think of overrating as something of a present-tense adjective.

Leaving JO out for the moment, I believe it is possible for someone to be overpaid (for their actual contribution) but not overrated. We have two possible examples on this current team in Troy Murphy and (possibly) Junior.

Coming into this season, both Murphy and Dunleavy were considered to be grossly overpaid, as a general rule. As a result of their bad contracts, they were largely considered to be bad players. I don't believe this is actually true.

Murphy, while still one of the nastiest contracts in the league, is actually a pretty solid player. I'd consider him on a general level with Foster, though each bring different things to the table. Foster is considered (generally) a scrappy bargain at $5.5 mil, while Murphy is a pig at $11mm. Based only on basketball talent and contribution, Foster is probably properly to slightly overrated while Murphy is underrated.

Dunleavy actually made huge strides towards earning out his contract this year, though he's probably still a little rich for my blood. While this fanbase has developed an enhanced appreciation for him (though not all are fans), the rest of the NBA fans and media still have largely the same view. Dunleavy is slightly overpaid, but significantly underrated.

Back to JO. I think that JO has been, at various points of his career, somewhere between slightly and moderately overrated. He was positioned and treated as a franchise player, but clearly was not up to the task. Today, however, it's much more difficult to determine exactly how he's rated.

I believe on this board (and RealGM Pacer board), there's a pretty decent balance of people who over and under rate JO. I, personally, don't know how to rate him, other than to say I think he's a pretty good player with questionable reliability from his health perspective. On the whole, I guess it would be fair to lean towards overrated solely on the games missed factor.

However, Cowherd's statement about him being the most overrated player in the last 15 years is blatant hyperbole, and it was meant to be. Cowherd (and other talking heads) have no real interest in speak the truth, which is often nuanced and somewhat muddy. They prefer staking out clear positions to create more juice for the conversation. I would question whether he actually believes it, or if, two weeks from now, we could get the same quote from him about Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady. Hell, if the C's roll over and lose their lead, I would not be shocked to hear him throw Garnett under the bus.

I do not believe JO is the most overrated in the last 15 years. With the hype machine that exists, it's easy to forget that Vin Baker was a max contract player. So was Jalen Rose. Somebody mentioned Starbury, but forgot to mention Steve Francis. Carter and McGrady have tons of pub, but very little in the way of meaningful team accomplishments.

In a world where any flash of success is greeted with immediate comparisons to all-time greats, who hasn't been overrated at one point in time or another?

Count55-

Well stated. Truth is, you could probably count on one hand the
    number of 'max' guys in recent years who haven't been overpaid
    and most are probably overated too, depending on rating criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Injuries don't make you overrated unless people are still saying "he's great right now". Who's saying that? NO ONE has JO valued high, specifically because of his injuries and reduced output.
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe I'm working on a different definition, but it's hard for me to see Jermaine as "most overrated." That's a guy who people make a big deal about, but I don't fear when he's in the game.

Jermaine hasn't been seen as a threat by anybody in over a year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I might suggest that Shaq is a bit overrated at this point. He's a guy I think of when I think of as overrated.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman