Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Pacers make PR effort

  1. #1
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Pacers make PR effort

    Maybe this discussion is buried in another thread, but just in case it isn't you might have noticed that Danny Granger has made the rounds recently, along with a few other Pacers reps.

    Danny hit WISH nightly news (opposite Finals, caught when game was out of hand and Tivo'd when game got back in hand). Nice interview, maybe 5 minutes with DG.

    Then yesterday Danny had a partial co-host spot with Eddie on WIBC afternoon, along with Foster before him and Morway after him. They all came off perfectly, accessible, interesting and just really pleasant people. Add to this the previously discussed Morway blogs and you have a solid push to improve the team's image and communication with fans.

    I know that we suspect that WIBC has restricted news access to competitor stations on behalf of promoting Kravitz, but still you have to applaud Eddie/WIBC for having basically a Pacers Day in a prime drive spot. WISH/WIBC spots stood in stark contrast to the previous methods the local media has used for portraying the team.

    And best of all is that especially on WIBC it didn't come off as "rah rah, can I have my money for doing this now", it came off as legit love and interest for the team, the kind of appreciation that's been missing for years.

    I assume that somewhere in house with the Pacers this was made to happen, that this is part of the branding efforts. If so then A+ and keep it up. We have to have a lot more PUBLIC showings that showcase these good guys, give the fans someone to buy into and care about.

  2. #2
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    I'm very happy to hear this. I'm also equally upset that I did not see or hear this.

    Do you have a small recap you can do for the WISH segment? Did he discuss the past or the future or both? Did he say what he thought his role would be in the upcoming season?

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,711

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    I'm sorry I missed that yesterday, I did hear a little of Morway, but none of Foster or Danny
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-11-2008 at 09:59 AM.

  4. #4
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort


  5. #5

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Thanks for posting, Seth.

    This is a good step. But the reach is limited to the people who are listening to sports radio in the afternoon. Good and apt as these interviews are for the fanatic, they aren't going to reach the casual fans.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  6. #6
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Danny discussed himself quite a bit, his interests and such. His grandmother's aunt was a famous gospel singer, his brother is playing keyboards (IIRC) for an American Idol winner/contestent on tour. He talked about his own interests and (in)abilities with music. What does he watch, etc. Loves movies and seemed well-versed in that discussion. He told Eddie that he bought his house explicitly because it was only 1 mile from a movie theater.

    They talked Hulk since Eddie got to a sneak, DG said "why didn't you ask me to go". Eddie was talking about Liv and mentioned her as the girl from Armageddon, but Danny went with she was in LOTR (Eddie - "she was?"). So DG let out his geek a little too which was cool.

    Really nearly all that DG said on WISH was replicated on WIBC. And with Eddie DG especially came across with a ton of personality, way more than I thought he had to be honest. He seems so quiet normally but he was yucking it up with Eddie.

    Morway - bottom line is this dude should do ALL the talking for Pacers brass from now on, he just comes across much better than Bird.

    He talked about the draft, some of the local prospects, he defended the Pacers efforst to find Euro players (Eddie was saying "why don't we have some of those guys"), mentioned Lorbek and Stanko and that with Euros now you have to go get them young much like HS prospects here which means it's a risk rather than like finding a Dirk or Ginobili, those days are gone.

    Basically Morway sounds just like his blog, candid but without giving away the farm.

    I listed on the car radio for most of it and don't have a setup to record radio on the CPU anyway. Sorry. Maybe we can get WIBC to put up the recordings for download (or do they?)


    I'll say this, I thought Danny/Eddie had equally as much fun as Reggie/Dan Patrick. It was a hoot.

  7. #7
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for posting, Seth.

    This is a good step. But the reach is limited to the people who are listening to sports radio in the afternoon. Good and apt as these interviews are for the fanatic, they aren't going to reach the casual fans.
    Yeah, but have you heard the calls from people that listen to these drive shows? Pacers are thugs, I hate the Pacers, etc.

    As I said Danny was on WISH and it was opposite the Finals, so that wasn't hitting the same core group. I think it's part of a real push, just the nature of the timing and how it was structured in both cases.

    BTW, another Eddie idea, have Brackett and Danny do a B&G's movie reviews weekly segment. How cool would that be.

  8. #8
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Thanks for the recap Seth.

    I fully agree that this is the correct way to go and even if it starts with a limited group of listeners it's still a start.

    Reggie didn't truely become Reggie until he bonded with the fans both on and off of the floor.

    Showing that we have a player on our team that is real and does not seem to have the need to show that he lives "the life" will go a long long long way in getting some of the cusual fans into at the very least not vilifying the team.

    Baby steps people, baby steps.

  9. #9
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Baby steps people, baby steps.
    Hear, hear.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  10. #10
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    To me the issue is this: just when do we see or hear from/about the Pacers other than the bad news of "still losing" or "more trouble"?

    Never.

    So getting these guys out in the public where people can see them and make the Pacers=this guy relationship is critical. For whatever reason their efforts in this area have outright stunk the last few seasons.

    Signings are nice, but painfully limited in awareness levels. Charity events are fine but also rarely covered and typically just video of the player at the event (or even just a report of it). Fans cynically view this as obligitory, not out of true desire to be involved.

    For example, Granger's camp. That's nice but it doesn't have 10% of the PR impact that Danny being on WIBC/WISH talking about himself, his camp and the team did.

    The Pacers need to push to get these guys in a pace car or waving the flag at an event at the track that leads to an interview about it on the news, getting into any event with public viewership. Cripes, flip the coin at the Colts home opener, do a video with Danny and Peyton to show at a Colts game. Danny playing bball with Manning and 18 refuses to throw it "Throw the rock Peyton." "I was waiting for the cue." You know Manning loves that stuff.

    Last year you had Dun on WZPL one morning, but I'm not sure what else there was. Think in contrast to how often Reggie was on Bob and Tom back in the 90's (pre national show even). The Dunleavy song as a running morning show gag would be such a hit and make so many casual fans like him and have interest in him.


    This is one reason why we rip on the Star, they sometimes seem adverse to getting into these kinds of articles lately. They can claim audience interest, but they know that they also help set the audience tone with the angles they take or the amount of coverage they present (very little means "not important").


    One other thing - Danny was GOOD at this. His personality IMO really popped. That helps a lot too.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-11-2008 at 03:05 PM.

  11. #11
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is one reason why we rip on the Star, they sometimes seem adverse to getting into these kinds of articles lately. They can claim audience interest, but they know that they also help set the audience tone with the angles they take or the amount of coverage they present (very little means "not important").
    In its defense, Danny talking about his grandmother's aunt isn't news. Especially not in June. If he's at the Indy 500, it's not news either, although maybe you get a photo if he poses with Danica.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  12. #12

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Found more from Foster and Granger on the fan

    http://www.1070thefan.com/pacers/hom...BlogID=1000025

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    The Pacers fan van is coming to our county fair. I was sort of impressed even though they probably should have been doing this all along.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  14. #14
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,928

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers fan van is coming to our county fair. I was sort of impressed even though they probably should have been doing this all along.
    The Colts have made enough trips to Bedford/Lawrence County that it's starting to get a little 'ho hum'. The next time I see a Pacer promotion rolling into town will be the first time though.

    Just the other day they setup a small festival at the in town football field where they had a couple of players, a couple of cheerleaders, Blue, a merch trailer, a blood donation trailer, local radio, some kids games, the Colts mobile museum, free posters, a race car, etc etc etc... Of course you had teens and adults there but you also had little kids who were just thrilled to see some players up close let alone getting autographs and a free poster from them. They are making fans for life with these efforts.

    They might not be there every game, every season, 1-17 or 18-0 but I'd venture to say the majority will always care about the Colts and follow them to various degrees due to these marketing efforts.

    I'm not sure you can put a price tag on what this type of goodwill brings a team. You can argue that the Colts are capitalizing on a wave of popularity if you want, but the Pacers are coming off a fairly good era themselves and they did nothing out of the ordinary to expand their fanbase or plant the seeds for future fans during that time (other than play ball). You could also argue the Colts are preaching to the choir right now... but if so, they are making sure they have a choir far down the road IMHO.

    The Colts, instead of playing the small market card at every turn, are focusing their efforts far outside of I465. It would behoove the Pacers to do the same.

    .02.
    Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 06-11-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #15
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quite frankly I think the Colts PR people are geniuses. Yes, I know - it doesn't hurt when you are a winner but they do all the right things. I stated in another thread I think the Pacers always tried to do the right thing. The 49 states but this is Indiana may have been one of the best ever. They are trying and it's good to see more of a human touch rather than print or video.

    Just as a point of information was Eddie yelling at him the whole time. I don't that guy can say anything lower than an octive above a 747 takeoff.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  16. #16
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    this isn't what seth was speaking of but morway was a guest on Chad Ford's "NBA Dish" podcast Tuesday discussing the offseason/draft.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=2669425
    This is the darkest timeline.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    FYI, I heard Jeff Foster on the Smiley Morning Show this morning. They talked about Donaghy, the playoff games he was involved in, talked about the diving event at IUPUI next weekend that Jeff is a fan of. I guess Jeff and Smiley will be doing some event on Thursday morning at Forest Park Pool in Noblesville.

    Here's a link to the podcast: http://wzpl.everyzing.com/viewMedia....il=en&filter=0

  18. #18
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this isn't what seth was speaking of but morway was a guest on Chad Ford's "NBA Dish" podcast Tuesday discussing the offseason/draft.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=2669425
    I disagee actually, but in a good way. This is what I'm talking about, the team has clearly made a conscious effort to put at least these 3 people in as much spotlight as they can (DG, Jeff, Morway). There is no way Jeff just happened to show up on Smiley after being on 1070, or Morway just happened to stumble into that podcast.

    My guess is Pacers PR is on a rampage to find any and all outlets for these guys to get to. They might be the only guys around, maybe they are seen as key guys that will go over well, but it's an organized effort.

    I'm betting Dun is on safari right now and not available (that was a vacation he had planned I guess). Wouldn't it be great to get him on the news or radio talking about that trip. Cripes even Ron Artest came out looking pretty good after his African charity trip. Dun's not doing that, but I bet his experiences would still be of great interest to the locals.


    I also think last year choosing to go with JOB as the face of the franchise was a MASSIVE mistake. He had no history here himself and I just don't think fans were ever going to come watch players they didn't like because the coach seemed serious or nice. They needed to have Dun and Dan out in front last year, and as the season panned out you can see how that would have been a big impact.

    Fans avoid the team to avoid Tins and perhaps JO, plus the general "trouble" theme. But who they really would have seen was Dun, Dan, Diener, Foster, etc. If you associated Pacers = Dun/Dan last summer then you would have had a stronger sales point as the season went along.


    What hurts NBA guys is that they aren't hidden by helmets, aren't generic, aren't part of a massive group. But if used right those can all be massive plusses instead.

    Keep up the blitz, keep getting these guys out there so when a casual fan thinks Pacers he thinks Danny Granger instead of Tinsley or even JO.

  19. #19
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also think last year choosing to go with JOB as the face of the franchise was a MASSIVE mistake. He had no history here himself and I just don't think fans were ever going to come watch players they didn't like because the coach seemed serious or nice. They needed to have Dun and Dan out in front last year, and as the season panned out you can see how that would have been a big impact.
    I disagree. I think the focus of the PR campaign was good but once again the off-court events conspired to minimize its impact.

    I think Danny (and Dun when he gets back) will have a PR impact as much because of how hard the team played down the stretch as the rest. Jeff, of course, has alwaqys been seen as a hard worker.

    To be honest, I think putting these guys out there builds on last year's PR direction.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  20. #20
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    But why not put them out there last year Bill? That's my point.

    There is no way holding back Danny and Dun helped things. You've got Jeff and Danny in the generic Lenny Kravitz spot, but otherwise few people around town new that Dunleavy was even on the team.

    That's the thing, if Travis Best and Derrick McKey got in trouble in 98 it wouldn't have slowed one thing down because everyone knew that Reggie, Rose, Jax, Rik, Dale and Tony were more important or just as important.

    I think maybe only Reggie being in a "thug" incident would have shocked fans enough to maybe keep them away, and not if he was still hitting big shots.

    In that case a lot of that was from the winning in the first place I realize, but the point is that even casual fans tended to know who the top 3-4 minutes guys were.

    A lot of locals couldn't identify Danny and Dun BY FACE if they saw them, even at this point. That's a major issue. Gnome and I have talked about how we defend the team to people by saying "Tins hasn't even played for months, if you go now you are seeing Diener, Dun, and Granger" and getting the response of "who's that" or "I didn't know Tins was out", etc.

    The rep of the guys in trouble carries weight because they are seen as the core guys, and that includes Harrison and Quis. "They" are always in trouble is in reality a very minor amount of total minutes played, "they" aren't the players you normally see at a game.

    It's just that no one has heard of any of the non "they" players, partly due to the horrible slant the local media has run with the last few years, feeding on the tabloid-esque nature of the Pacers rep for ratings/readership.

  21. #21
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But why not put them out there last year Bill? That's my point.

    There is no way holding back Danny and Dun helped things. You've got Jeff and Danny in the generic Lenny Kravitz spot, but otherwise few people around town new that Dunleavy was even on the team.

    That's the thing, if Travis Best and Derrick McKey got in trouble in 98 it wouldn't have slowed one thing down because everyone knew that Reggie, Rose, Jax, Rik, Dale and Tony were more important or just as important.

    I think maybe only Reggie being in a "thug" incident would have shocked fans enough to maybe keep them away, and not if he was still hitting big shots.

    In that case a lot of that was from the winning in the first place I realize, but the point is that even casual fans tended to know who the top 3-4 minutes guys were.

    A lot of locals couldn't identify Danny and Dun BY FACE if they saw them, even at this point. That's a major issue. Gnome and I have talked about how we defend the team to people by saying "Tins hasn't even played for months, if you go now you are seeing Diener, Dun, and Granger" and getting the response of "who's that" or "I didn't know Tins was out", etc.

    The rep of the guys in trouble carries weight because they are seen as the core guys, and that includes Harrison and Quis. "They" are always in trouble is in reality a very minor amount of total minutes played, "they" aren't the players you normally see at a game.

    It's just that no one has heard of any of the non "they" players, partly due to the horrible slant the local media has run with the last few years, feeding on the tabloid-esque nature of the Pacers rep for ratings/readership.
    Good post, Nap.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  22. #22
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    I second that Anthem, nice post Seth.

  23. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Danny is a PR dream. If you put him in the right situations, his personality and demeanor will sell him. However, I don't think Danny is a guy who will necessarily go seek out the spot light. You have to push him towards it, just like we had to push him to be more of a scorer this season. That being said once you get his butt in front of people he will draw their attention.

    The Pacers need to get back to using the KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) principle with their marketing, and this is a great way to start. People are tired of the gimicky slogans and stuff like that. They want something that is more tangible and interviews and public appearances are a great way to do that.
    One of the best things the Pacers did over the past few years was the promotion where a Pacer would pump your gas (Did the P's pay for the gas too? I can't remember) That promotion created a lot of positive buzz and people really seemed to connect with the Pacer that pumped their gas.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. #24
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But why not put them out there last year Bill? That's my point.
    I think because no one really knew how Dun would pan out through the year and whether he would end up being a long-term member of the community. Yeah, his contract would have made it hard to dump him if things had been bad, but the last thing you want to do is make one of your focal players in the PR campaign someone who turns out to tank or get sent away after a year or just vanish at the end of the bench.

    Considering we really didn't know who would end up as the face of the franchise by the end of JOB's first year, and also considering the view of many that management and coaching staff were not taking responsibility for the actions of the players, having JOB in the opening spots made a huge amount of sense. As the year progressed - particularly toward the end of the season - spots got more and more player focused again.

    It would be impossible to know for sure whether player focused PR using Danny, Jeff, and Dun would have improved things or caused a backlash about why JO and JT weren't being featured (from fans AND from JO/JT). In my opinion, such a campaign would probably not have been much better - and, since it might very well have been planned to use Shawne Williams as one of the young up-and-comers, might have backfired almost as much as the previous year's campaign.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  25. #25
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Pacers make PR effort

    I think Diener would be great in a Schwinn bicycle commercial!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 09:48 PM
  2. Bird faces daunting task rebuilding wayward Pacers (SI.com)
    By avoidingtheclowns in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 01:46 PM
  3. Oprah's "Boyfriend" Gives Advice To Pacers
    By SamBear in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •