Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Donaghy letter to court alleges refs altered games

Default Donaghy letter to court alleges refs altered games

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

After Celtics and Lakers game 2, I believe it 100%. The ratio on fouls was outright ridiculous. When a team is down by 20 and has a better Field Goal percentage it is suspicious.

The filing is regarding a 2002 series -lakers and kings- to make go 7 games.

Opinions?
    Last edited by BoomBaby31; 06-10-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Donaghy letter to court alleges refs altered games

It's not true, it's a guy trying to take the NBA down with him. That's my gut feeling.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, if he had any evidence, it would have come out a lot sooner.

David Stern did his best to influence his sentencing, so I'm assuming this is payback.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not true, it's a guy trying to take the NBA down with him. That's my gut feeling.
    Maybe. But you know, a year ago people would have said, "The league's not fixed, by now we would have at least heard some disgruntled ref say something."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Maybe. But you know, a year ago people would have said, "The league's not fixed, by now we would have at least heard some disgruntled ref say something."
    It is like an unbelieving parent "they wouldn't do that, I love them, that isn't him/her." Peoples theories are contradictory "The league is clean but Tim Donaghy is guilty" Donaghy isn't the only ref that fixed/s games; I pay close attention to the lines in Vegas and the house runs about a 80% perfect rate in Basketball. Tonight the Lakers are -9.5 favorites -biggest favorites of West Coast- with 83% of the money on the Celtics and the line isn't budging. Tonight the Lakers will win by 10+ no doubt about it, the only way they do not, is if the team gets ran over by a truck or a they are leading by 12 and Pierce shoots a full court shot to cover the spread.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope Donaghy writes a tell all and takes Stern down with him. The sooner the despot is out the better.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I hope Donaghy writes a tell all and takes Stern down with him.
    Even if he's lying?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Even if he's lying?
    What I think is the case and what I think Donaghy should make public is that there are some NBA referees that fix games, and the NBA doesn't provide proper oversight to address this, which would in turn run to the top and lead to Stern's resignation.

This makes me look terrible but I would only care slightly if Donaghy was lying. Stern flat out ruined the Pacers and his dismissal would only be karma.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    It is like an unbelieving parent "they wouldn't do that, I love them, that isn't him/her." Peoples theories are contradictory "The league is clean but Tim Donaghy is guilty" Donaghy isn't the only ref that fixed/s games; I pay close attention to the lines in Vegas and the house runs about a 80% perfect rate in Basketball. Tonight the Lakers are -9.5 favorites -biggest favorites of West Coast- with 83% of the money on the Celtics and the line isn't budging. Tonight the Lakers will win by 10+ no doubt about it, the only way they do not, is if the team gets ran over by a truck or a they are leading by 12 and Pierce shoots a full court shot to cover the spread.
    What is your source for this? I would be interested in monitoring these numbers for the whole playoffs next year and see how it comes out.

What I think is the case and what I think Donaghy should make public is that there are some NBA referees that fix games, and the NBA doesn't provide proper oversight to address this, which would in turn run to the top and lead to Stern's resignation.
    He's shown no proof whatsoever.

This makes me look terrible but I would only care slightly if Donaghy was lying.
    You're right. It does make you look terrible.

Stern flat out ruined the Pacers and his dismissal would only be karma.
    Yes. Stern ruined the Pacers. Not Ron Artest, not Stephen Jackson, not Jermaine O'Neal, not Jamaal Tinsley, not the guy that signed all those guys to long-term contracts.

David Stern ruined your favorite team, and you want to ruin his life, whether he's done anything illegal or not. Clearly, he has it coming.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-10-2008 at 07:31 PM.

I wasn't here in 2004. Do some people think Tru Warier shouldn't have been suspended for the whole year?

On Donaghy...I tend to think he's lying but admittedly don't have an opinion set in stone. It's going to take more concrete evidence than a statement from a felon whose upcoming sentencing will be determine by his level of "participation" in an investigation to discredit a system though. I'll need to see more than just that and circumstantial single-game anecdotes to believe there was a league-wide protocol to make certain outcomes occur.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 06-10-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Mood

I hate how I agree with Kstat so often.

...you do realize it is the JOB of these people to get a final score people will bet on... right? They kinda have experience on this.

the line isn't what vegas thinks the final margin of victory will be. It's the margin vegas thinks people will most likely bet on both side.

If %83 of vegas money was on the celtics, the line wouldn't be budging. You're not making any sense at all, other than trying to support some convoluted theory that the NBA is fixed.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-10-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Yes. Stern ruined the Pacers. Not Ron Artest, not Stephen Jackson, not Jermaine O'Neal, not Jamaal Tinsley, not the guy that signed all those guys to long-term contracts.

David Stern ruined your favorite team, and you want to ruin his life. Clearly, he has it coming.

Well he contributed to it but he didn't do the major damage that's those three morons you just listed. I don't put Tinsley because he really had little to do with the brawl as I recall compared to the other three. Tinsley is just a dumbass off the court above all else. Stern at the very least should've fined the Pistons organization for not having proper security that night like all arenas do so something like this doesn't happen. He sided with the fans because well they're the ones who line his pockets. Even if they threw a knife at these players he would've still sided with them. Its all about $$$ to him. And I'm not just saying it because its the Pacers I think he would've done the same for any team involved in that situation.

Putting that aside I want Stern to go down because he's a fraud and he always has been. For someone who claimed Donaghy had nothing and that there was no need to talk to him FF months later and Stern said he had to talk to him about some things but that rest assured Donaghy had nothing. Why talk to someone who has nothing about "nothing"?

Makes no sense. And there's this article that says how Donaghy was willing to help the prosecution with this ref probe but the prosecution said no need. "No Need?" There's possible corruption here and there's "no need?"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Yeah Donaghy isn't the most honorable guy on the planet but he really doesn't have much to lose at this point and I'll believe him over Stern at this point. Stern has ruined this league and anyone who has been involved in a ref scandal would've been asked to step down by now along with his refs.

David Stern ruined your favorite team, and you want to ruin his life, whether he's done anything illegal or not. Clearly, he has it coming.
    It was a travesty and very unprecedented concerning what he did to the Pacers, a team I had/have invested much of an emotional and financial investment in. He basically took that investment and took a giant **** on it with those suspensions. I'm honest about wanting Stern out of the NBA and I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Somehow I don't think he'd be in the streets if he lost his job.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-10-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Look, if people want to go the roswell route because they so desperately want to play the victim and believe the NBA is fixed, it's going to sound very empty without any evidence.

Donaghy is playing on the gullibility of the public to believe conspiracy theories about the NBA to sell books.

Mind you, this is the same guy that sold out and fixed outcomes himself and is facing a very long jail sentence.

But regardless of his character, we're willing to believe anything he says, so long as it supports our conspiracy theories about the NBA.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

He's shown no proof whatsoever.

You're right. It does make you look terrible.

Yes, he does...but I'm not going there.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

It was a travesty and very unprecedented concerning what he did to the Pacers, a team I had/have invested much of an emotional and financial investment in. He basically took that investment and took a giant **** on it with those suspensions. I'm honest about wanting Stern out of the NBA and I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Somehow I don't think he'd be in the streets if he lost his job.
    You're not supporting him losing his job, you're supporting lying and committing perjury because you don't think the commissioner of the NBA is a fair guy.

Really, if you want to ruin a man's life and reputation over a basketball game, you need to get out in the world and learn what's really important.

You'd want the commissioner to be accused of fixing NBA games even if he really didn't? That's terrible.

You're not supporting him losing his job, you're supporting lying and committing perjury because you don't think the commissioner of the NBA is a fair guy.
    If it was a lie chances are Stern would mobilize his resources to quickly debunk the whole book, and there would be no problem. I don't have any problem with Stern sweating either way, if someone spreads nasty rumors about him I am looking the other way.

Really, if you want to ruin a man's life and reputation over a basketball game, you need to get out in the world and learn what's really important.
    If Stern was to ruin his already tainted reputation it would probably be over basketball, since he is the commissioner of the NBA. Think how much money the Simons have lost from a series of setbacks that were set in motion from Stern's despotic suspensions. Stern is far from a saint and his flaunted his dictatorial control over the NBA repeatedly, from fixing the Ewing draft to ruining the Pacers. He was in the earshot of the press when he publicly got mad that the Sonics and the Blazers, both small market teams, got the first two draft picks. He runs the league for money and not for the fans.

I know that in the eyes of many I have an irrational hatred of David Stern. It's the one thing that really gets me fuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I don't put Tinsley because he really had little to do with the brawl as I recall compared to the other three. Tinsley is just a dumbass off the court above all else.
    Tinsley has done as much to destroy the pacers franchise as any other player. But his actions you can't really blame on David Stern....

Stern at the very least should've fined the Pistons organization for not having proper security that night like all arenas do so something like this doesn't happen.
    Right. Not fining the Pistons was what led to the downfall of the Pacers.

He sided with the fans because well they're the ones who line his pockets.
    The fan that threw the cup was banned for life. All the fans that could be identified were punished severely. Beyond that, he can't really punish the fans, can he?

Even if they threw a knife at these players he would've still sided with them.
    ...and this is what happens when we don't get to use facts. We make up absurd extreme scenarios.

Its all about $$$ to him. And I'm not just saying it because its the Pacers
    ...of course not...

Putting that aside I want Stern to go down because he's a fraud and he always has been. For someone who claimed Donaghy had nothing and that there was no need to talk to him FF months later and Stern said he had to talk to him about some things but that rest assured Donaghy had nothing. Why talk to someone who has nothing about "nothing"?
    He might have just wanted to talk to him about the extent of his involvement- naaaaah

And there's this article that says how Donaghy was willing to help the prosecution with this ref probe but the prosecution said no need. "No Need?" There's possible corruption here and there's "no need?"
    ...because they don't want help from a liar that can be discredited on the stand if they don't need it? It kinda helps at a trial...

Yeah Donaghy isn't the most honorable guy on the planet but he really doesn't have much to lose at this point
    ...if he has nowhere to go but up by making this statement, how exactly does that make him credible?

and I'll believe him over Stern at this point. Stern has ruined this league
    Right. The NBA is dead. Compared to when it was so great when Stern took over in 1984...oh wait.

and anyone who has been involved in a ref scandal would've been asked to step down by now along with his refs.
    Really? He has the most strict referee policy in pro sports and he's supposed to monitor his phone calls too?
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-10-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Think how much money the Simons have lost from a series of setbacks that were set in motion from Stern's despotic suspensions.
    Actually, they got to keep a very large chunk or Ron Artest's salary....I'd say financially they made out.

Stern is far from a saint
    well, that's certainly cause to fire him...

and his flaunted his dictatorial control over the NBA repeatedly, from fixing the Ewing draft to ruining the Pacers.
    Completely unsubstantiated conspiracy theories FTW! I heard this rumor and its bad for Stern, therefore I know it's true!

He was in the earshot of the press when he publicly got mad that the Sonics and the Blazers, both small market teams, got the first two draft picks.

...wait...did he accidentally fix it for the wrong teams? Was there something wrong in the fixing process last year?

Sheesh, you'd think the NBA would get better at fixing stuff. I mean, they've been doing it for 24 years...

He runs the league for money and not for the fans.
    And most of the players play for the money and not the fans. They must be in on the fix too...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

After Celtics and Lakers game 2, I believe it 100%. The ratio on fouls was outright ridiculous. When a team is down by 20 and has a better Field Goal percentage it is suspicious.

The filing is regarding a 2002 series -lakers and kings- to make go 7 games.

Opinions?
    If ever there was a series that was fixed, that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If ever there was a series that was fixed, that was it.
    The problem is, Donaghy knows it, and he didn't even work the game. He's alleging a crew he had no contact with fixed the game, which is info Donaghy would have no way of getting first-hand knowledge of.

He won't even name the officials involved.

Basically, there's this game he knows about between these two teams, and these two guys fixed the game.

If the NBA was really fixing the game, all 3 officials would be involved. He's only saying there were two because it gives them deniability, and keeps him from indirectly naming names.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-10-2008 at 08:04 PM.

There is more to it. For all of us who believe the Kings/lakers was fixed. He's dropped this bomb as well. I'm all for the tell all book as long as it is truth because I truly believe there is much more to this than just Donaghy...has to be......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-NBA referee Tim Donaghy told the feds two referees fixed the outcome of one playoff series and that officials were told not to eject star players from games for fear of hurting ticket sales.

The allegations are contained in a court document filed Tuesday by Donaghy's lawyer. Donaghy said officials were told not to call technical fouls on stars, and that two officials helped extend a 2002 playoff series to a seventh game, all in the name of ticket sales and television revenue. The Kings/Lakers series was the only one to go seven games that year, with the Lakers winning games 6 and 7. If Donaghy's allegations are factual, David Stern's worst nightmares may have just come true. Jun. 10 - 6:36 pm et

...because both Sacramento and the LA Lakers were having trouble selling playoff tickets in 2002...

If only Donaghy hadn't deliberately left Robert Horry open at the end of game 4. Worst call in playoff history.