Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

  1. #26
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,719

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do, and I also see a difference between the head coach saying it and a fan saying it. I think it's easier for a fan to muse the possibility that we could get a pleasant surprise. A coach can't afford to think that way.
    Augustin's not going to be a long-term solution at the point, and there's no PG better than him that will be available at that spot.

    I don't think that's pessimistic, I think that's just the reality of the situation.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #27
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do, and I also see a difference between the head coach saying it and a fan saying it. I think it's easier for a fan to muse the possibility that we could get a pleasant surprise. A coach can't afford to think that way.
    So it's pessimistic to NOT muse the possibility of a pleasant surprise? Holy sunshiners.

    Frankly if you go around always EXPECTING the surprise then they never really are pleasant surprises, are they? Only the realist gets the surprise.

    The pessimist will never see it that way even after that fact.

  3. #28
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I rather doubt that. When you consider how little Tinsley and O'Neal contributed this year, including the overall instability of working them in and out of the lineup, and Dunleavy having a career year, if you put a strong PG out there with a lineup which is consistent and not always waiting for its star to get healthy, they will do nearly as well as they did this year.
    I agree. I think Shade needs to pull up the minutes played for last season as a reminder of just what was on the floor most nights.


    Diener, Dun, Danny, Murph, Foster? That's better than Hinrich, Hughes, Danny, Murph, Foster? Doubtful. And in the 2nd case you're getting the 11 pick and the Bulls pick maybe.

    I'm not a "sell JO no matter what", nor do I insist on moving Dun. I just think Dun has value that might go toward a real rebuild adjustment if a young team needs a quality, smart vet like Dun.

  4. #29
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    396

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I
    Diener, Dun, Danny, Murph, Foster? That's better than Hinrich, Hughes, Danny, Murph, Foster? Doubtful. And in the 2nd case you're getting the 11 pick and the Bulls pick maybe.
    .
    To be fair, if you are going to put Hughes in the second line up, you may as well put JO and Tinsley in the first line up.

    I am not arguing either way, but writing off JO and Tinsley for injury concerns while penciling in Hughes as a starter does not make sense to me.

  5. #30
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair, if you are going to put Hughes in the second line up, you may as well put JO and Tinsley in the first line up.

    I am not arguing either way, but writing off JO and Tinsley for injury concerns while penciling in Hughes as a starter does not make sense to me.

    Well, to be fair, Hughes has missed 28 games over the last two seasons, while JO and Jamaal have missed 53 and 54 respectively.

    To be narrower, Hughes missed 14 games last year, JO missed 40, and Jamaal, 43. It's hard to draw any equivalenced between the two.

  6. #31
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    StL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,718

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, to be fair, Hughes has missed 28 games over the last two seasons, while JO and Jamaal have missed 53 and 54 respectively.

    To be narrower, Hughes missed 14 games last year, JO missed 40, and Jamaal, 43. It's hard to draw any equivalenced between the two.
    to be parabolic, hughes plays a position of strength for this team AND is also someone that would make me cry if allowed freedom in the O'Brien offense.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  7. #32
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    to be parabolic, hughes plays a position of strength for this team AND is also someone that would make me cry if allowed freedom in the O'Brien offense.
    To be exact, I wasn't arguing that Hughes was good for the team, or that I wanted him, just that he wasn't as fragile as JO & Droopy last year, and that it was fair to compare the lineup with Hughes vs. lineup w/o JO & JT.

    To be honest, I can't remember what the whole trade was so I'm now wondering how the hell we end up with a lineup noted, and where the **** Dunleavy is...

  8. #33
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,719

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hughes . . .would make me cry if allowed freedom in the O'Brien offense.
    Amen.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. #34
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    396

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, to be fair, Hughes has missed 28 games over the last two seasons, while JO and Jamaal have missed 53 and 54 respectively.

    To be narrower, Hughes missed 14 games last year, JO missed 40, and Jamaal, 43. It's hard to draw any equivalenced between the two.
    If you only want to use last season, in wich JO was shut down for most of the year, then sure. However, if you go back 1 year, Hughes played exactly 1 more game than JO. Go back another year, and JO played 15 more games than Hughes.

    I am willing to concede on the Tinsley part though

  10. #35
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So it's pessimistic to NOT muse the possibility of a pleasant surprise? Holy sunshiners.

    Frankly if you go around always EXPECTING the surprise then they never really are pleasant surprises, are they? Only the realist gets the surprise.

    The pessimist will never see it that way even after that fact.
    That's not what I meant.

  11. #36
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,719

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not what I meant.
    So what did you mean? Not trying to be a jerk, but I haven't understood your point here.


    EDIT: I pointed out something that was pretty well-accepted, both on the board and off. Everybody agrees that DJ won't be a long-term solution. Has anyone disagreed with that yet?
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-12-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. #37
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    I was trying to say that I think it's far too early to assume he won't be a good enough player to be a "long term solution" for us. Most reports indicate he's right on that line where he could go either way. To declare one or the other now, this early, is to be pessimistic or overly optimistic.

  13. #38
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,904

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    With DJ you are asking a 5'10" guard to be a starting point and to hope he will be a long
    term solution. How many of those have or do exist in the NBA? Travis Best is what I see
    with DJ. Now that is not bad but Travis was at his best off the bench and his best days
    were with the Pacers and he never really did much after that. I believe the Pacers need
    more than that from a pick at 11. I would be far more inclined to go with Westbrook' or
    a bigger guard in the second round if going big at 11.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  14. #39
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    If he were projected in the mid to low part of the first round, I think I'd feel more strongly that way, owl, but if he's talented enough to go as high as 7-11, I think he's got at least a somewhat better chance of being one of the exceptions to the rule.

    To all, remember too that entertaining the idea of Augustin being a long term solution does not translate to "OMG!!! D.J. IS TEH AWWSTAR!"

  15. #40
    Member Mr. Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    704

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With DJ you are asking a 5'10" guard to be a starting point and to hope he will be a long
    term solution. How many of those have or do exist in the NBA? Travis Best is what I see
    with DJ. Now that is not bad but Travis was at his best off the bench and his best days
    were with the Pacers and he never really did much after that. I believe the Pacers need
    more than that from a pick at 11. I would be far more inclined to go with Westbrook' or
    a bigger guard in the second round if going big at 11.
    I agree with you about going with a different guard in this draft but there is no way Jameer Nelson is actually 6' like he is listed and he is a successful starting guard on a second round playoff team.

  16. #41
    Danny Granger PowerRanger DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,950

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with you about going with a different guard in this draft but there is no way Jameer Nelson is actually 6' like he is listed and he is a successful starting guard on a second round playoff team.

    And Draftexpress has him down as a much better version of Jameer Nelson.

    I'm not saying DJ will be great but he will be an immediate upgrade. He's a competitor with heart, a clean record, and he's smart. Point guard isn't the only guard position that needs an upgrade either.

    I just wish that we could try and trade for a point guard like Marcus Williams, Acie Law, Javaris Crittenton, or Mike Lowry. There have got to be decent and respectable trade scenarios to grab one of these guards. If we can't secure a point guard in a trade then we have to draft one. Strong point guard play is a must in today's NBA.
    Last edited by DGPR; 06-13-2008 at 12:18 AM.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Similar Threads

  1. Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0
    By purdue101 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
  2. Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 2.0: Picks 1-30 [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
  4. Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 1.0: Picks 1-30 [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 03:50 PM
  5. Top Draft Prospects
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •