Thread: are all home color printers disposable pieces of crap?

Default are all home color printers disposable pieces of crap?

My Canon Pixma died 3 months after it arrived, as a warranty replacement

It replaced the old Canon Pixma which died after 11 months

which replaced, in some order, Epson, Lexmark, and HP printers, which were awful and lasted a year or a little more each.

I pay $150-$200 every year, plus ink, for trash that keeps breaking.

I keep trying to get the all-in-ones, print, copy, scan, and I have only tried inkjets since the color tonor cartridges are hundreds of dollars it seems.

Are any there any $100-$200 color printers worth buying?

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: are all home color printers disposable pieces of crap?

I've been using a Canon IP90 for two+ years. It's a portable...fits in a computer bag compartment with effort...160-230 buck range. I don't print a lot, but this thing has been around the world a couple of times in my luggage, and has held up. I print maybe three pages per slow week, then every third week or so, print 40 or fifty color certificates.

My home printers, used by my kids for school projects, don't have as good color printing. Many times, we've printed with this 90 to get a better product for a report or something.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there all crap. I've had similar bad experiences with printers, I always buy the all-in-ones also.

The stupid ink cartridges have ridiculous high prices. I tried some cheaper off brand ones with a Lexmark X5150 that had worked good for around a year and it never worked the same again.

The best printer I've ever had was a this huge old HP all-in-one, but it cost 800 bucks. It was back in the Win95 days, it worked prefect for years and when WinXP came out HP refused to make new drivers for it and I finally had to get rid of it, and it was still working perfectly.

I've had HP, Lexmark and Canon and I can't say one is any better than the next. They're all cheap crap. The other bad thing is they all have sh*ty designed drivers, bad install and uninstall routines. They install loads of crap that's not needed and needs cleaned up, if your a neat freak on the PC like me.

My current All-In-One is a Lexmark X8350. I bought it cause it was nice looking and small. It worked great the first 6 months, now it seems to be printing kind of streaky. Maybe cause the cartridges kinda dry up from setting, I don't print that much stuff?
    Last edited by Hoop; 06-09-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: speeling ;)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It only gets better when they obsolete your particular ink cartridge, leaving you with an uber-expensive paperweight.

Color ink jet printers are the very definition of planned obsolescence. I have an all-in-one that I only use for color stuff, and a B&W Laser that I use for everything else, and I'm pretty sure my next color printer will be a color laser. The thing about the toner cartridges being so expensive doesn't really hold water when you look at it on a cost per page basis. Seen that way, it's actually cheaper than ink, and also doesn't have the problem where you have to print something every once in a while to keep the ink jets from gumming up.

The best printer i ever used was an old top feeding cannon black laser printer at school. It lasted me 7 years and would use a tonner cartridge a school year. I would print reams of stuff on that when i needed it at a drop of a hat.

I don't print a lot at home so I buy the cheapest piece of crap on sale at Wal-Mart and chuck it when the ink runs out.

I bought a nice $700 laser once and it lasted about 3 years and maybe 10,000 sheets before it went to junk so now I economize.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I've got a mimeograph machine I've used since about 1956. Never given me a bit of trouble......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got a mimeograph machine I've used since about 1956. Never given me a bit of trouble......
    Maybe if you quit sniffing the fumes you'd realize it doesn't work all that well.

I'm sure yoiu guys know more than I do. I do have a color printer that gets me by at home.

There's no doubt the cost is in the ink not the printer.

I think it comes down to use. We have occasional use at home so we have a HP 2210.

If I cranked out high volume it would last 10 minutes probably but it works for us.

I have an HP all-in-one. I haven't gotten any trouble from it for the past 4 years...works great.My old Lexmark sucked terribly.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

My family has an HP PSC too and it's never broken on us and the ink isn't too terrible.