Thread: Do the Spurs play 'east-coast' basketball?

Default Do the Spurs play 'east-coast' basketball?

From the game report between the Kings and Spurs:
    "It's a regular-season game, we play them three more times," Stojakovic said. "They play East Coast basketball - tough on the defensive end and patient on offense."
    The pacers game has been likened to playoff style bball, does this mean that the high-octane offenses of Sacramento and Dallas are doomed to great regular season records but no rings?

Default Re: Do the Spurs play 'east-coast' basketball?

From the game report between the Kings and Spurs:
    "It's a regular-season game, we play them three more times," Stojakovic said. "They play East Coast basketball - tough on the defensive end and patient on offense."
    The pacers game has been likened to playoff style bball, does this mean that the high-octane offenses of Sacramento and Dallas are doomed to great regular season records but no rings?
    The answer to both of your questions is yes.

Yes, the Spurs play a style similar to the E.C.

Yes, the high octane offense of both Dallas & Sacramento will grind to a halt once teams start the playoffs. They may advance somewhat, but I would be shocked if Dallas made it out of the Semi-finals & I don't think the Kings will represent the west either although they may make it to the W.C. finals.

Of course these are just my opinions & I could be wrong.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Do the Spurs play 'east-coast' basketball?

Yes and maybe.

I'm beginning to believe that the Kings WANT to play good D and that they sometimes can. There defense was pretty good last night, though Duncan had a big game. Everytime I watch them play the Mavs though, the Kings revert to a trading baskets mentality. A "lets trade baskets, you get yours but just-wait, I'll get mine" approach to basketball gives everyone good numbers and a seat on the couch for the finals.

Bibby, Christie, and Jackson give them good perimeter D that Dallas will NEVER have. Webber, Divac, and Brad are offensive players first, though smart enough to play decent D at times.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)