Thread: This is probably a stupid question but..

Default This is probably a stupid question but..

I was thinking with all of these guys wanting to get traded or released from their respective teams (chad johnson,jason taylor)

What would stop them from just retiring and then signing with another team?,I release that they would probably lose alot of money by retiring,but lets say that the redskins tampered and told chad "if you retire,we will sign you the next day for a new deal worth 20mil more".

Couldnt something like that happen?
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Default Re: This is probably a stupid question but..

Teams still hold rights to players that file retirement papers or don't show up and claim to be retired.

Basically, their contract is frozen the instant they say they're retired. So if they're in year 5 of a 7 year contract, and they sit out 10 years, they're STILL in year five for their original team if they just decide to come back. This doesn't mean the team has to pay them in the interim - it just means the team basically has the rights to the player indefinitely.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Teams still hold rights to players that file retirement papers or don't show up and claim to be retired.

Basically, their contract is frozen the instant they say they're retired. So if they're in year 5 of a 7 year contract, and they sit out 10 years, they're STILL in year five for their original team if they just decide to come back. This doesn't mean the team has to pay them in the interim - it just means the team basically has the rights to the player indefinitely.

I wish the NBA would adopt this policy.

Ok,so like when Junior Seau "retired" from the chargers,then signed with the pats the chargers had to approve it?
    LoneGranger33 said

That would be right.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Ok,so like when Junior Seau "retired" from the chargers,then signed with the pats the chargers had to approve it?
    I think in his case, his contract had either expired or he had been cut. But if not, the Chargers would have had to release him or seek to trade his current K rights. But I'm still pretty sure he just was between K's at that point.

I think in his case, his contract had either expired or he had been cut. But if not, the Chargers would have had to release him or seek to trade his current K rights. But I'm still pretty sure he just was between K's at that point.

Damn that explains it,I wish the NBA would adapt that policy,like Shade said.
    LoneGranger33 said

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, if they officially retire... Then they have to sit out the entire year. That's why there was so much buzz when Farve 'retired', because he didn't file all the paperwork.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Remember in Seau's case he signed with the Chargers on a one day contract just so he could "retire" a Charger. So his contract was over pretty much as soon as it began.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Remember in Seau's case he signed with the Chargers on a one day contract just so he could "retire" a Charger. So his contract was over pretty much as soon as it began.
    Correct. His "real" contract was with the Dolphins, but they released him after 3 seasons.

The Chargers contacted him and offered him the one day contract to "retire as a Charger" and he accepted.

Then I guess 4 days later he was tired of surfing, Belichick called, and he un-retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Seau