Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Express - JO to Cavs Speculation (among other things)

Default Draft Express - JO to Cavs Speculation (among other things)

(Don't see this in the similar threads, and it's slightly different than the Chad Ford rumor...I'm sure the mods will merge if necessary...if so, sorry)

Jonathan Givony is bringing up the JO-to-Cavs, but it's unclear what the deal is.

-The Indiana Pacers are trying to dangle the #11 pick in hopes of being able to package it with one of their ugly contracts (preferably Jermaine OíNeal). There is talk out of OíNealís camp that he anticipates being trade to Cleveland at some point this summer, possibly in a deal involving expiring contracts such as Wally Szczerbiak and Eric Snow.

The Pacers donít want to give OíNeal away for nothing, but the temptation of shedding his 23 million dollar contract from their cap figure (giving them substantial cap space to work with in July of 2009) may be too great to pass up. On Clevelandís end, it makes sense for their ownership to spend the money it will take to try and appease LeBron James and show them they are making the efforts to put together a championship caliber team. Weíve heard rumblings about this Cleveland/Indiana trade from a number of well-informed sources, so there appears to be at least some truth to it.
    It stops short of saying "JO & 11 to Cavs for Crap-on-a-stick", but it's not a big leap to infer that.

I'm wondering if there is a package that could get it done, but I'd want Cleveland's #19 back. The most pallatable might be Wally, Sideshow Bob, S&T Delonte West, & #19 for JO & #11 (+ maybe filler?).

This package has a large expiring (Wally), two serviceable young guys (Varejao & West), and we get back in the draft where guys we like will be more reasonable (CDR, Brandon Rush, etc.). It's a pretty crappy deal, but they all will be, and I'm wondering if TPTB have reached the point where they're just going to take the best offer available and be done with it.

I'm getting the feeling that the guys we really like won't be there at 11, and the people we'd probably take would be a reach, so moving back 8 spots wouldn't be a huge penalty...(well, at least not on top of the penalty we're already paying in terms of talent return because of JO's contract & injury history.)

I don't know...it's a beggar's choice...probably be best just sitting on him.

Default Re: Draft Express - JO to Cavs Speculation (among other things)

I thought I read somewhere JO couldn't be traded during the draft?
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Assuming that we aren't going to use Ike Diogu (for whatever reason), we could package JO and Diogu for Wally, Snow, and the #19.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the question at hand in the "JO Doesn't Opt Out" thread.

EDIT: If that thread means that he's officially under contract for next season, then we can deal him on draft day. (I think.)

If true (and I have no idea if that's true), we can just tell Cleveland who to pick and execute the trade the day after. Happens all the time.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

No thanks. That implies a rebuild for next year even more and if that's the case then just wait and move JO then when he can get what Wally and Snow are getting here - an 11 pick at least - just because of the ending contract.

Take the 11 this year, struggle on and take another 12 pick next year, and also move JO either for a useful vet from a rebuild and/or another pick.

You don't give CLE your 11 to take JO for Wally/Snow. It's not that big a favor on their part.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IF that is the deal and we don't move Tinsley? I will

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    No thanks. That implies a rebuild for next year even more and if that's the case then just wait and move JO then when he can get what Wally and Snow are getting here - an 11 pick at least - just because of the ending contract.

Take the 11 this year, struggle on and take another 12 pick next year, and also move JO either for a useful vet from a rebuild and/or another pick.

You don't give CLE your 11 to take JO for Wally/Snow. It's not that big a favor on their part.
    Yeah, I agree that if you structured a deal primarily involving the names in the article, it's a non-starter. I was just wondering if there was something to be built there that would make as much (or more) sense as doing what you're describing above. It's doubtful, but if I don't do this, I have to develop a Productivity Analysis tool for a failing CD/DVD plant. Who wants to do that?
    Last edited by count55; 06-05-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only issue I see with this CLE speculation is that we are trading the best player and giving up a higher draft pick. Don't see that happening. I could see us getting Szczerbiak and Snow, both expiring, and the #19 straight up for JO. Szczerbiak and Snow are both great locker room guys but severely lack in talent.

He can't be traded until his ETO expires. It does that midnight June 30. The draft is June 26. His reps have already informed the Pacers he's not opting out.

I haven't read any contract language that you can trade a player after they inform a team they are not opting out, and I've looked for it. I think the ETO deadline has to expire.

Since they now know he's not going to opt out, they could still announce a trade on June 26 after any draft picks have been picked, but it wouldn't go though until after June 30.

Since Givony is ignoring the above, I think it proves he's speculating.

If you do a deal like that, the Pacers might as well cancel their draft party right now. Why have that many angry people in one place.

I don't believe this rumor for a second due to the fact that O'neal's contract is only going to increase after this upcomming season. Wait a year, and I bet you can get a similar deal w/out sacraficing a pick.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think a more appropriate deal in this situation would be:

JO
    Tinsley

for

Szczerbiak
    Snow
    D. Jones
    2008 First Rounder (#19 overall)

That would make more sense for both teams. Give a bunch of expiring contracts for two guys who would actually contribute for their team. I know their injury history but i think the core of guys in cleveland would help take a lot of pressure off of them playing too much. I bet we would be looking at buying Damon Jones out anyway, and then he could go sign for the veteran minimum, make more money on the year, and we get a discount against our cap which would be just under the veteran minimum. this makes a lot of sense for both teams.

First, is this even legal, considering Cleveland is in negotiations to injury-retire Snow?

Second, even if we can't make the trade until after the draft, we better agree on it beforehand. Cleveland and us have completely different needs at #19.

Third, I don't see much point in doing this, when we're in effect only losing a year of Jermaine's contract. Best to leave it until next year, when his expiring is more enticing.

But hey, I'm all for getting another SF, and a white one at that.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    He can't be traded until his ETO expires. It does that midnight June 30. The draft is June 26. His reps have already informed the Pacers he's not opting out.

I haven't read any contract language that you can trade a player after they inform a team they are not opting out, and I've looked for it. I think the ETO deadline has to expire.

Since they now know he's not going to opt out, they could still announce a trade on June 26 after any draft picks have been picked, but it wouldn't go though until after June 30.

Since Givony is ignoring the above, I think it proves he's speculating.
    Yeah, this is what I was wondering about. BTW...do the rights to a player have value against the cap in a trade?

For example, if we deal JO for a package including the #19 pick, and we can't consummate it until after June 30, how would that be handled. Would that player have to be signed by Cleveland, then we'd have to wait another 30 days? Could that player's rights be dealt without any cap impact? If not, would the rights be valued at whatever the average #19 would be worth?

I'm sure that Givony's speculating, but I think he's doing it based on some reasonable information. He may be putting the pieces together incorrectly, but I think there's enough smoke to believe that Cleveland and Indy are flirting with each other about JO.

No way we should be giving our #11 in this deal. Besides, the deal sucks even if we don't give up the pick. Yes they are expirings, but JO would be worth more than that at the deadline. They would have to give us a future pick also IMO. I'm not against trading JO right now, but not for this.
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

For those wanting to keep JO as an expiring contract in the summer of '10, don't we have to shed his contract at least a year earlier than that in oder to absorb the new contract Granger will surely be signing this summer?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It makes no sense to trade JO for expirings when he'll be a huge expiring himself in a year.

That is a ridiculous trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It makes no sense to trade JO for expirings when he'll be a huge expiring himself in a year.
    While I am not in favor in any way, shape, or form of trading JO for just expirings...

A year is a long time, and there is a lot of money to be either spent or saved in that year.

I would be fine if we got a large expiring, a serviceable vet, and a couple of solid-to-promising young guys, but that's another issue entirely.

Let's say for one moment that Givony is right (which I hope he's not). What would a JO & #11 for a Wally/Snow package mean? Well, for one thing, it'd save the Pacers at least $24 million over the next two years. For another, it would clear a lot of room to deal with Danny next season. Those aren't bad things, but they're hardly worth the price we'd be paying.

However, an ugly spectre makes its presence known. It is precisely the type of deal that cleans up debt and cash flow in preparation for the sale of the team. If we did a deal this bad, I'd be real nervous waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Dude, we just cannot give JO away for nothing but cap space. Indiana is not a strong free agent draw, and will be even less of one with no talent on board. At the most, maybe we swap picks with them. But I want Delonte West from them if that's the case (and that's still not a dream situation). I would be ok with West, if we could grab Speights and Lawson in the draft. If anything, I'd say we should grab their pick rather than giving them ours. Otherwise, hang on to JO until next year, when his expiring deal will really net you something. The more I think about it, the more I hate this deal, unless we're netting the Cavs pick to go along with ours. I could barely stomach swapping picks; and as for giving up our 1st rounder, I'm again' it!

I think including the #11 is silly, but in general, no, I don't find it ridiculous. Maybe they're finally convinced (as some have been for years) that JO will never truly stay healthy again, and would rather dump him now than later. The guys we get back are expiring anyway, right? At least this way it's some guys to look at, see if they have a place here for less money the following year if they fit.

If not, who cares. The only hangup to me is trading our pick to do it, that's excessive.

As for Wally being white, let it go. Christ's sake.

Don't we HAVE to trade JO (or some other combination of large contracts like Murphy, Dunleavy, or Tinsley) THIS year for contracts that expire in the summer of '09 when Granger's new contract kicks in? Otherwise, we won't be able to afford to keep Danny.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Tinsley pretty much has to be included for it to be a decent trade from our part.

JO and Tinsley for Wally, Z, Jones, and the #19? Works for me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I seriously doubt any trade package would include Sideshow Bob (Anderson Varejao). He just signed a new contract with the Cavs after holding out for the early part of the season. Why would they give him up after negotiating so hard to retain him? Makes no sense.

The article's author has JO's price tag wrong; it's $42M and change. If he does get traded on or soon after draft-day, he goes to his new team for atleast 2 yrs since he's decided not to go on the open market.

To the trade: Wally Z (that's what I call him anyways)...yes...Snow...no. Try again...

I would riot if this deal happened. If we're giving up assets to get rid of JO when he himself will be a certifiable asset in ONE YEAR (for contract reasons if not anything else) then it's not worth it.