Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JO Doesn't Opt Out!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default JO Doesn't Opt Out!

O’Neal keeps contract amid trade buzz

By Mike Wells
    Posted: June 4, 2008

If the Indiana Pacers want to part ways with Jermaine O’Neal, they’ll have to trade him.
    O’Neal’s representatives recently informed the Pacers he will not opt out of the final two years of his contract. O’Neal had until June 30 to decide whether to become an unrestricted free agent.

The Pacers weren’t surprised. President Larry Bird said in February he didn’t expect O’Neal to opt out because he would be leaving behind $44 million on the final two years of his contract.

That doesn’t guarantee O’Neal will return. The Pacers likely will look to trade him.
    O’Neal again battled knee injuries and averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds in 42 games last season.

O’Neal, who has said repeatedly he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuilding project, has been working out in Las Vegas to regain strength in his left knee, which has bothered him for two-plus years.
    Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

w00t

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: JO Doesn't Opt Out!

*insert well worded and clever joke about how this is not a shock here*
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

and the sky is blue!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Yeah, shocking... .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Time to pull up those threads from all those people trying to rationalize every which way that somehow Jermaine would find a reason to opt out and settle for $10M less per year.

Same people who think Tinsley will take a 50% buyout.

Right, not a surprise. Some of us on here have been saying for two years JO wouldn't opt out. This was a sure thing, or rather about as sure a thing as they come.

Now, the Pacers can trade JO to a contending team like he wants, and he can have his cake and eat it too.

I never expected JO to opt out, but if he didn't want to be a part of a rebuilding team, he claimed to think so much of the Simons/Pacers, then the honorable thing was to opt out for the Simons /Pacers. Sure, he would have lost some money, but it's not like he was only making 2-5mil a year. One notices JO has never refused to take his salary all these years when he's been injured and not playing. At last years salary, he was making approx $250,000 a game, and how many games did he miss? For every 4 games missed, the Simons/Pacers paid JO approx a million dollars. When it's all said and done, JO is all for JO, and for JO only. It's all about JO. I, personally, hope the Pacers trade him out west to a celler dweller. It would be so apropos.

Does anybody know if this is actually a binding waiver of the option, or if it's just a statement of intent? The first would mean that he's officially under contract for next year, and the Pacers could deal without the (admittedly extremely longshot) possibility that he'd change his mind before the June 30 deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now, the Pacers can trade JO to a contending team like he wants, and he can have his cake and eat it too.

I never expected JO to opt out, but if he didn't want to be a part of a rebuilding team, he claimed to think so much of the Simons/Pacers, then the honorable thing was to opt out for the Simons /Pacers. Sure, he would have lost some money, but it's not like he was only making 2-5mil a year. One notices JO has never refused to take his salary all these years when he's been injured and not playing. At last years salary, he was making approx $250,000 a game, and how many games did he miss? For every 4 games missed, the Simons/Pacers paid JO approx a million dollars. When it's all said and done, JO is all for JO, and for JO only. It's all about JO. I, personally, hope the Pacers trade him out west to a celler dweller. It would be so apropos.
    Of course JO is out for JO. It should be that way, since he is the commodity on the table. Not to mention JO playing hurt for the sake of the team. Granted, JO has been injury prone. I won't deny that. But he has been one of the good guys on this team, salary not withstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Does anybody know if this is actually a binding waiver of the option, or if it's just a statement of intent? The first would mean that he's officially under contract for next year, and the Pacers could deal without the (admittedly extremely longshot) possibility that he'd change his mind before the June 30 deadline.

You're serious? You think that there is still a chance in hell he opts out, even after he said he won't?????

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    You're serious? You think that there is still a chance in hell he opts out, even after he said he won't?????
    Well, I can't tell whether this should be in green font or not, but...

I do not, have not, and probably never will believe JO will opt out. It's too much money, and he'd be a fool to walk away from it.

However, there is a difference between stating an intention and actually waiving the ETO. If he waives the ETO, that means that he's officially under contract to us, and we are free to negotiate and consummate draft day deals.

On the other hand, if he still retains the right to opt out this summer, then (a) it could prevent us from actually completing a draft day deal (or, at least, make us do it with a wink and a nod and complete it much later this summer), or (b) put him in position to screw up a deal that he didn't like by threatening the opt-out and scaring off the other team.

On the whole, I'm just wanting to know how concrete this information is.
    Last edited by count55; 06-05-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: optics

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is not going to opt out. If he did or didn't it probably would not be him that is traded to get another pick anyway.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Count's point is the timing aspect, not the IF part.

What I'd take from this and the CLE rumors is that IN PREPARATION for such a deal, which his agent would know about, they've gone ahead and started the process of picking up the option. Maybe you are right and they want to hold off on the rubber stamp as a means of leverage in deals, but I'd guess they are already happy about what they've heard and want to get moving forward with it.

Mood

Oh sorry Count.

Sorry Count, I misunderstood what you were saying.

No biggie..it's a confusing issue, so it's hard to ask the question in such a way that's not confusing. (It's also, apparently, hard to explain that it's confusing without being confusing.)

I'm gonna stop, now.

Jermaine is going to return to his all-star form and be worth every cent of his contract the next two years.

Jon-

J.O. at the peak of his career wasn't worth $20 mil a year. As
    unlikely as a return to that caliber of play is, if he somehow
    manages too, he still won't be worth that kind of $$$.

Period.

Mood

Johnathan I like you positive post, but that song was sung two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Jon-

J.O. at the peak of his career wasn't worth $20 mil a year. As
    unlikely as a return to that caliber of play is, if he somehow
    manages too, he still won't be worth that kind of $$$.

Period.

Well, to be fair, there are maybe only a handful of guys in the league worth JO's contract, and that's being generous.

I think we're past the "getting JO's contract value" stage and well into the hopefully "getting as much as we can get out of him, on the floor or in a trade" phase.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think JO's contract will have a lot more value in a year as an expiring.

When I read it earlier it said that the Pacers "want to trade him". I see he's barely toned it down.

The guys on the CBA/Business related board on realgm came back with this:

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan10770
    Not sure if this is applicable, but from Article XII, Section 7 of the CBA:

Section 7. Option Exercise Notices.
    The NBA shall provide the Players Association with copies of any Option or ETO exercise or non-exercise notice received by the NBA within two (2) business days of the NBA’s receipt of such notice from the Team.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkenstein
    If his people have officially informed the Pacers in writing that he will not exercise his ETO, it is binding on both parties. If this is the case, he can be included in draft deals.

If this was just a verbal statement of intent, then the Pacers can't move him until July. Since an ETO requires a positive act by the player if he wants to opt out, if he wishes to remain a Pacer, Jermo isn't required to do anything and his 08-09 contract year automatically goes into effect July 1.
    It looks like there is a process for informing the league of the players decision regarding ETOs. I would assume that notifying the league makes it binding, but I am not 100% sure.
    So, if this has been done officially and the league's been notified, JO's on the menu for draft day trades.

Did anyone notice the caption under the pic with the story? "Shrewd move". Surely to God this had to be tongue-in-cheek. It could have just as easily read "Not Stupid".
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    Johnathan I like you positive post, but that song was sung two years ago.
    Jermaine has not been the same since Ronnie Artest left. He needs a player that is tough can rebound and do his dirty work b/c he would rather play the perimeter than the low post. I think that is why we select Joey Dorsey w/ the forty first pick if he is on the board!