Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Taking Charges

  1. #1
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Taking Charges

    82games.com has their taking charges stats up for this season. It's somewhat interesting.

    Jermaine is 7th on the list despite missing quite a few games. Dunleavy is tied for 8th. I think it's safe to say that JO would have led the league had he played the whole season.

    Another interesting name to note is Kyle Lowry being #4.

    Here's the link: http://www.82games.com/FSORT10.HTM
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  2. #2

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    http://www.82games.com/charges0607.htm


    Quote Originally Posted by 82games.com
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now there was a bit of a rancor about flopping finding its way into the NBA storylines during the second half of the season and we often get requests for "flop" stats. Certainly some of the players represented here are, ahem, guilty of a little acting now and then, and do sometimes choose the "fall to the ground" defense over trying to actually contest a shot. Still, let's not fault the masters of the trade for being successful. There may be some anti-flop rule changes coming however...

    They called it, more than a year ago!


    I'm equivocal about taking charges. Yes, it shows the player is willing to take a hit for the team and I like that. But, apart from the quickness required to get in position before the offensive player gets there, taking a charge requires no skill and exemplifies no grace. Unlike a football tackle (a thing of predatory beauty) taking a charge in basketball just brings the "problems" of the game to the forefront.

    As far as JO goes, I hope he keeps it up. If blocking shots and taking charges is what he's got left, then I salute him for giving his best -- and I hope we get $21 million worth.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  3. #3
    Member Taterhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,288

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.82games.com/charges0607.htm

    Unlike a football tackle (a thing of predatory beauty) taking a charge in basketball just brings the "problems" of the game to the forefront.
    I disagree, to me a charge shows everything that should be great about the game (physical play, intelligence, will to win, putting your body on the line, etc.). And it does take skill. Toughness is a skill, not everyone has it. Timing is also a skill. Getting out of the way and conseding two points takes no skill, I could do that with the best of them.

    Most charges wipe away easy lay-ups. It's as good as a blocked shot or a steal. I think the problems with the game are the severe lack of effort that you see every night. These guys don't really play until the playoffs.

    All this being said I commend JO for that, it's very impressive. And this is why when he's healthy he is a defensive beast. I've always thought he was probably the best all around defensive big man in the league. He blocks shots, takes charges, defends the pick and roll exceptionally, and plays good position post defense to boot. All these people wanting to give him away are nuts, IMO.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    to me a charge shows everything that should be great about the game.

    Here's 10 things better than Troy Murphy getting knocked on his butt.


    [yt]l5BxF2RJ7Xk&feature=related[/yt]
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  5. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jermaine is 7th on the list despite missing quite a few games. I think it's safe to say that JO would have led the league had he played the whole season.
    That's amazing. I thought Jermaine was a selfish player only concerned with stats! Why is he sacrificing his body for a defensive play that doesn't show up in the box score or on Sportcenter?

    EDIT: I have a theory, but some people won't like it.
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-02-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's amazing. I thought Jermaine was a selfish player only concerned with stats! Why is he sacrificing his body for a defensive play that doesn't show up in the box score or on Sportcenter?

    EDIT: I have a theory, but some people won't like it.

    I'd like to hear it, so what is it?

  7. #7
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Jermaine was 7th? On one hand, I'm not surprised because he did draw quite a few charges when he played, but he missed around 39 or 40 games. Impressive.

    I'd like to hear it as well, Anthem.

  8. #8
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's amazing. I thought Jermaine was a selfish player only concerned with stats! Why is he sacrificing his body for a defensive play that doesn't show up in the box score or on Sportcenter?

    EDIT: I have a theory, but some people won't like it.
    I don't know, when guys blow by our backcourt so fast, they're bound to run into our front court players a fair amount. Even when they're standing still.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  9. #9
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    I disagree, to me a charge shows everything that should be great about the game
    I'm with you. Where I disagree with Putty is that to me a charge is part of the SPACING game, and that's the core of great basketball. A great PG keeps his dribble, moves the ball to a better space on the floor to make things available. A strong big gets and holds position. A strong defender denies position.

    A great way to keep from getting the charge call is to hold that guy (say JO) away from the lane with a true post threat that he can't afford to leave, paired with the threat of the pass to him from a decent PG.

    Jax down the lane with Smits and Tony lingering meant you couldn't risk sliding off to help early enough for the charge call. That's just asking for a dunk or short jumper.

    What JO shows is that you don't have the proper threat out there to keep him from moving to the driving lane early. He reads your game better than you are seeing it yourself, and that's how he wins.

  10. #10
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    JO was also 7th in Defensive 3 seconds as well, followed my Foster and trailing Murphey. Maybe that was the reason he was in position to take them.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm with you. Where I disagree with Putty is that to me a charge is part of the SPACING game, and that's the core of great basketball. . . . He reads your game better than you are seeing it yourself, and that's how he wins.

    You describe well the thing that aggrieves me. I don't deny that it works. I deny that it is beautiful.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  12. #12
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,886
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    The problem with flopping is when you have a guy like Kurt Thomas (being the largest person on the court except when Shaq is out there) who has always been a good defender and a tough guy, flopping at the three point line when HE is setting a pick on a small guard. The officials give him the call three straight times in the same game. THAT my friends is the problem. He was flopping like a ***** (and I really like Kurt Thomas as a player). It isn't a guard flying to the rim with reckless abandonment and a big with position gets hit so hard he falls to the ground. I hope the league and players realize this with this new rule and we don't see more uncontested layups than we already see because players don't want to get suspended for trying to take a charge.

    I am all for taking legit charges. I think the officials need to call offensive flopping as well. Like how Manu and Tony flop just about every time they touch the ball. This should be known as the "San Antonio Spurs Rule". They have been known as a very good defensive team, and they are. They use flopping to their advantage which complements their ability to play good team defense. Again, I agree with charges, but flopping (both offensively and defensively) needs to be addressed. And no I don't hate the Spurs. I hate the Lakers.

  13. #13
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,828

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    i didnt know Dunleavy was up there. He has a high basketball IQ. Or he just too slow to get out of the way

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    I don't really care for charges in a lot of situations. I don't like JO taking them. I don't really like any big man taking them.

    You have these guys 6'10, 7', who are amazing athletes just standing in other people's way. This is wrong. Take an angle, jump, get high, and block the shot of the guy who's driving into the lane. Show us you are an athlete. I mean, why are you just standing in the way of the 6'5" guy that you outweigh by 60 pounds, block the shot!

    I don't remember David Robinson taking charges and flopping. I don't remember Hakeem flopping. I don't remember Shaq flopping. No current big men defenders, JO and his charges taken included, can even sniff what these guys did on defense in their prime. Block the shots big guys.

  15. #15
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really care for charges in a lot of situations. I don't like JO taking them. I don't really like any big man taking them.

    You have these guys 6'10, 7', who are amazing athletes just standing in other people's way. This is wrong. Take an angle, jump, get high, and block the shot of the guy who's driving into the lane. Show us you are an athlete. I mean, why are you just standing in the way of the 6'5" guy that you outweigh by 60 pounds, block the shot!

    I don't remember David Robinson taking charges and flopping. I don't remember Hakeem flopping. I don't remember Shaq flopping. No current big men defenders, JO and his charges taken included, can even sniff what these guys did on defense in their prime. Block the shots big guys.
    As far as I'm concerned, JO made an additional 45 defensive stops this year and 57 last year by drawing charges. Arguably, drawing the charge is more effective defensively than blocking a shot because it results in a change of possession 100% of the time, while blocked shots have no such guarantee.

    On the whole, JO's averaged 2.4 blocks and 0.9 charges drawn over the past two seasons. To me, this demonstrates that, in addition to good shot blocking skills and timing, he also has the sense, intelligence, and timing to understand (generally) when his best chance to make a stop is with a blocked shot vs. drawing a charge.

    And, basically, it's making the stop that matters.

  16. #16
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    406

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really care for charges in a lot of situations. I don't like JO taking them. I don't really like any big man taking them.

    You have these guys 6'10, 7', who are amazing athletes just standing in other people's way. This is wrong. Take an angle, jump, get high, and block the shot of the guy who's driving into the lane. Show us you are an athlete. I mean, why are you just standing in the way of the 6'5" guy that you outweigh by 60 pounds, block the shot!

    I don't remember David Robinson taking charges and flopping. I don't remember Hakeem flopping. I don't remember Shaq flopping. No current big men defenders, JO and his charges taken included, can even sniff what these guys did on defense in their prime. Block the shots big guys.
    Because taking a charge is better than blocking a shot in pretty much every way.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    I just typed up a long reply but lost it to server busy. That's frustrating.

    It's not necessarily better than making the block when you look at the whole picture, where's the stat that says how many blocking fouls were called on these guys. How many free throws they gave up. How many times it wasn't called and guys got an easy layup, or it was called a block for the and-1. The Pacers suffered a bad free throw deficit this season. Dunleavy and Oneal trying for so many charges is probably a part of that.

    Also purely as someone who likes to watch basketball, I want to watch people make plays. I just don't view standing in someone's way as making a play. Good defense should never involve standing still not making a play on the ball. It just strikes me as against the spirit of the game for players to put the onus on the refs instead of making it happen themselves. It's a players league right, let's stop relying on the refs so much and PLAY.

  18. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,120

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just typed up a long reply but lost it to server busy. That's frustrating.

    It's not necessarily better than making the block when you look at the whole picture, where's the stat that says how many blocking fouls were called on these guys. How many free throws they gave up. How many times it wasn't called and guys got an easy layup, or it was called a block for the and-1. The Pacers suffered a bad free throw deficit this season. Dunleavy and Oneal trying for so many charges is probably a part of that.

    Also purely as someone who likes to watch basketball, I want to watch people make plays. I just don't view standing in someone's way as making a play. Good defense should never involve standing still not making a play on the ball. It just strikes me as against the spirit of the game for players to put the onus on the refs instead of making it happen themselves. It's a players league right, let's stop relying on the refs so much and PLAY.
    Two can play that game.

    Where's the stat that players get called for fouls trying to block a shot? How many times have they given up and-1s?

    Taking a charge is simply better than blocking a shot.

    When you take a charge, you end that offensive possession right there. When you block a shot the offense might recover, or the ball can go out of bounds. Either way, they retain possession of the ball and have the opportunity to score. Taking away the possession is extremely important.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Even if it is better, and neither of us have numbers to prove it so it's pointless to argue, it doesn't change the fact that - at least to me - it's not a play on the ball, it's not defense, it's not fun to watch. It's nothing more than standing in someone's way.

  20. #20
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,120

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Well that's defense in general. Basic defensive fundamentals tell you to get the dribbler going lateral, and keep them from moving the ball horizontally.

    The only time defense plays the ball is when attempting a steal or a block.

    Defense is boring to most, but a thing of beauty to me.

  21. #21
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's nothing more than standing in someone's way.
    That's what defense IS, man.

    There's lots of layers to it, but at its essence defense is pretty simple. The core concept is that it's harder for your guy to score when you're between him and the basket.
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-03-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Former varsity basketball player on a team that finished second in state, I understand defense at least as well as anyone here, I don't need it explained to me.

    I disagree that picking a spot, putting your hands in front of the jewels, and waiting for impact is good defense. It's certainly not a thing of beauty. Getting in front of your man and putting your hands in front of the ball and/or his face, but he runs you over still, yea, ok, good defense, but most charges in the NBA are not like this.

  23. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,147

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Former varsity basketball player on a team that finished second in state,
    Maybe if your team would've taken more charges then you could've finished 1st!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  24. #24

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    I roll with Dece. (I never thought I'd say that.)

    He's made the point well -- especially about making the play rather than counting on the ref.

    Let me just add this. Fifteen years ago, Greg Dreiling was a Pacer with not much ball skill. It was almost a joke then that Dreiling's game was mostly taking charges. It was funny.

    Now we are seriously talking about a player who makes $21 million, and we're saying that he's a beast because of the way he stands still and gets knocked off his feet.

    Sic transit gloria.
    Last edited by Putnam; 06-03-2008 at 07:14 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  25. #25
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Taking Charges

    It's not about charges being better than blocks, or blocks being more exciting than charges.

    The key is that there will be times that the smart defensive thing to do is to go for a block, while other times, drawing the charge is the best course of action. Both require the player to understand the situation, get in position, and make a play.

    JO has averaged 2.4 blocks and 0.9 charges taken per game over the past two years. To me, this has shown his contribution as a help side defender and demonstrates good situational judgment. It does not make him a beast, and I'm not going to go looking for a poster of him getting bowled over. However, I am pleased to see that if he's not a position to get a block, he may be able to do something other than commit a stupid foul or watch the guy score.

Similar Threads

  1. Granger taking ownership of lead role
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 09:30 PM
  2. Fight charges dropped for Pacers' Tinsley, Daniels [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
  3. JO/Tinsley Injuries: What's taking them so long to heal?
    By NuffSaid in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM
  4. Clark gets new trial on drug, weapons charges [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 05:00 PM
  5. DA won't pursue charges against Kings' Williams [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •