Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Server too busy?

Default Re: Server too busy?

my my my

So we had some problems I understand?

Funny I have to read it in a thread on the board, you're lucky I decided to take a look at the admin board for the first time in maybe 2 weeks and I saw a reprimande given to someone who considers my hosting ****ty, otherwise it would have been solved tomorrow, now it is solved tomorrow as well.

You know, if you have a problem with your frontdoor not want to open, do you wait for it to improve? or do you call the landlord/handyman or god knows who to fix it ?

1 simple email would have solved the problem or at least made me aware that there was a problem.

There is a simple explanation for, about 6 weeks back a clients' server decided to kick the bucket, so whilst he is waiting for his new one that is going in tomorrow, some of his stuff was dropped on this machine, which in essence is way overpowered for it's purpose.
    However one of his scripts in postgresql is running the serverloads up to 350 and more.
    normally it just comes down again and everything is normal, sometimes i just restart the process.

Has I known PD was effected I could have moved the process to another server, or perhaps even fizx it for the client for free, thinking it would be good for PD so worth the effort, since I didn't know because I hardly come here anymore, this has not happened.

SO next time an email saves a long thread about absolutely nothing on a problem that could have been sorted in a couple of hours.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SO next time an email saves a long thread about absolutely nothing on a problem that could have been sorted in a couple of hours.
    that's kinda what we do here.
    This is the darkest timeline.

This thread does say to set it at "0" and then if you still see the problem it is a server issue:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ht=server+busy

As to what is meant by the Admins exempt from seeing that message comment, I found this:
    Specify Usergroup To NOT See Server "Busy" Message
    Is there a way that I can set specific user groups to avoid the Server Busy message? I have my vBulletin set so that at a CPU Usage of 15 (I have 4 CPUs), the Server Busy message displays. I'd like for certain usergroups to Never see that message.
    No sorry. This is restricted to the Admin group. Changing this requires modifying the code.
    I also found this:
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin Team
    Administrators do not receive the server too busy message. You will need to be either a guest or logged in as a registered user to receive this.

Pretty sure my first thought was correct that as an Admin you won't see the issue many of us have been reporting... ...and that if other Admins did see something either they weren't logged in as an Admin or else this is something different and we all aren't on the same page explaining it.

FWIW- I haven't noticed the issue for a day or so, but then I worked yesterday and was gone quite a bit this afternoon.

EDIT: I see there's now an official answer to this but I'll leave this info here for future reference rather than delete it.

-Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 06-09-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    my my my

So we had some problems I understand?

Funny I have to read it in a thread on the board, you're lucky I decided to take a look at the admin board for the first time in maybe 2 weeks and I saw a reprimande given to someone who considers my hosting ****ty, otherwise it would have been solved tomorrow, now it is solved tomorrow as well.

You know, if you have a problem with your frontdoor not want to open, do you wait for it to improve? or do you call the landlord/handyman or god knows who to fix it ?

1 simple email would have solved the problem or at least made me aware that there was a problem.

There is a simple explanation for, about 6 weeks back a clients' server decided to kick the bucket, so whilst he is waiting for his new one that is going in tomorrow, some of his stuff was dropped on this machine, which in essence is way overpowered for it's purpose.
    However one of his scripts in postgresql is running the serverloads up to 350 and more.
    normally it just comes down again and everything is normal, sometimes i just restart the process.

Has I known PD was effected I could have moved the process to another server, or perhaps even fizx it for the client for free, thinking it would be good for PD so worth the effort, since I didn't know because I hardly come here anymore, this has not happened.

In summary: s****y hosting

j/k of course

Isn't it always funny how solving one problem seems to inevitably F something else up. That's words to live by for all engineers and programmers around the world.

Glad to see a post from you Able. I know you've backed off a little out of frustration but it's going to turn around (meaning less negative posting) and hopefully that'll translate into some more stateside time seeing some quality ball.

While I was in the midst of writing a long post I got worried that it would happen to me, but it didn't. Hasn't happened yet and I've been on for over an hour.
    I've gotten paranoid and started copying my posts before sending, but in this case it took so long that I forgot and went back to doing work, which led to me wiping out the clipboard totally and the post was lost. Shoulda stuck it in a TXT just for safety's sake. Of course a long winded poster like myself always has more on the line, if you will.

Naptown,

When you get the "Server is too busy message"... doesn't the 'back' button take you back to your still ready to be posted text box with your message still there?

Pretty sure it does in Sea Monkey (aka Mozilla).

The frustration is just not being able to post some thoughts and move on.

I'm glad the mystery has been solved.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Getting it several times a day for the past weeks aswell.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Thanks for catching this able.

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

I'm still getting it FYI...

Just in case there was any questions or concerns

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Me too, just happened. Was out from 12:57 to 1:07. Not complaining, just passing along some info.

Me too...Just for the record.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Naptown,

When you get the "Server is too busy message"... doesn't the 'back' button take you back to your still ready to be posted text box with your message still there?

-Bball
    It does the same for me using IE while I'm at work. I don't know what verison it is, State Farm does all the updating, and it's about that time so I'm getting out of this damn office.

of course dealing with computers, things never go as planned and one of the new servers decided no to come and play.

I am currently fixing it, to install tomorrow, the guilty mess is still running on the same server but I have changed some settings that should prevent the busy page, though at times loading can be slow.

we hope to have it solved in the next 24 hours.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks a lot able.

I did it get today when I first tried to log on about 1:00p Indy time. I think we are supposed to have dial-up speed but they will never convince me of that.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Naptown,

-Bball
    It's hit and miss for me, and it's tied to a password timeout when I'm not posting at home since I don't like to save info/cookies at work or elsewhere. Sometimes a back button leaves me at an empty "new post" window, perhaps tied to using the quick reply option? Anyway, not reliable enough to count on, that's the point.

And Able, I think the massive panic and freakouts when things start to go wrong acts as a testiment to just how much people appreciate your hosting efforts. With things like this you don't find out how much people love it till you take it away.

Sure it sounds like griping, but underneath it really means people love your work.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got it twice yesterday and both were very brief (TWSS). Very much improved though and it hasn't happened yet today at all.

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

And YOU people wanted to blame TCT...

You make me sick with your non-counting ways.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by The Toxic Avenger View Post
    And YOU people wanted to blame TCT...

You make me sick with your non-counting ways.
    Well, some people didn't believe a NBA referee would to what he could to influence the outcome of games. Look what happened with that.

and yes that is me working on the server

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Anyway, not reliable enough to count on, that's the point.
    That really is the only point these days.

And thanks able. I haven't had any problems for several days now.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    That really is the only point these days.

And thanks able. I haven't had any problems for several days now.
    If I only could find the post you quoted from I would feel better, you know that ?

anyway, to a list of ppl in this thread:

1: bball, unrelated to what i think of you, you found the answer, if either no one had touched that setting or left it at 0 the problem would have been way less. it basically closes the board when the serverload reaches X however it does not account for current "power" servers like the one this board is running on, so 5 or 10 is a laugh for this server, you were still server pages at a serverload of 350, it stopped at 500 or higher, but the server then decides when to tell you to "P" off.

2: To those calling it ****ty hosting or moaning otherwise; brighten up your life, truly and really, life is so much better if you approach with a positive attitude, and stop wondering why others do things or how they can afford things, really, athletes deserve every penny they make! and I deserver as much, but know i wil have to scrape by.

3: to one of my most appreciated ppl on this board, Seth, I will be coming this season, am looking for dates that will allow me to go see the Colts as well, not clash with the Wembley game AND allow me a few games in Conseco! But the Colts part is there because i will this season want value for my Blue Crew membership

4: To Hicks, my bestest friend on here, I did in NO WAY intent to hurt or insult you by my post, and if I did, then I sincerely apologise. It was meant to ALL who wrote in this post, and Yes once again bball was right (wish he researched his basketball related posts just as well) you were less "influenced" by it because you are an admin. simple as that, you have "priority access" over and through filters, think board closing for updates ony admins can enter

And as a final long nose, we got through the draft nicely with the board, whilst those processes are still on there, because the client asked me to rewrite most of his stuff, I hope to finish that off on monday so then it will be once again only PD and MY dev server for some oracle stuff.

And in case anyone wanted to know, this board is hosted on a non limited 100 Mb backbone connection (straight into dark fiber) on a dual C2Q Xeon server with 16 Gb of ram.

That is why it doesn't really want to go down at all

PLEASE be aware that I will shut down the boards on MONDAY for about 30 minutes to update the software, however that is ONLY if Hicks has the time as well, because I KNOW that templates will be in need of updates once i run this upgrade.

your "friendly" (no i am not) host:

abel

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

big ups abel.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He realized that he couldn't hold up the board in the hopes of getting another jersey...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    big ups abel.

Butros, Butros, BUTROS, Gali.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

anyone else experiencing "server connection timeout" and other problems with PD today?