Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Server too busy?

Default Re: Server too busy?

SeaMonkey 1.1.9

Satellite ISP (Hughesnet).

To anyone reading: Satellite Internet sucks (at least Hughesnet). Don't consider my using it or mentioning its name in any way an endorsement. Due to their uber restrictive Fair Access Policy and their punishment for exceeding said FAP, the only ones that should consider Hughesnet are those who have no other option and/or limited dialup as the only option. I have no problem with a reasonable FAP, but I consider Hughesnet's policy unreasonable and unrealistic for the service they advertise and the prices they charge.

Never consider them as a true alternative in broadband. Always look at your other options.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Windows XP IE7 (I think). DSL (sbc).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've had it at home and work, multiple times and at different times of the day.

At work we have Windows 2k Pro, and IE updated as far as it goes. I don't know what speed connection we have at work but it's fast. We download 350MB vids in about 15 seconds.

Here at home we have a laptop with Vista Basic and IE upgraded as far as it goes and also a desktop with XP Pro with IE 7 updated as far as it goes. We're on Comcast Cable broadband and we have everything on a wireless network.

Hope it helps.

MAC OS X 10.4.11, Safari 3.1.1

Honestly, it's not the worst thing in the world. But it can be frustrating, especially when it's a longer delay ... 10-15 minutes. And since I log on a lot after 1 a.m. Central, I doubt it's too many users.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It just hit with 21 people on. Is there a way to pin point the problem. If it is too many pics and video links in TCT those can be remidied.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    when we hit a rough patch that doesn't even hit the entire community.

Are you sure everyone isn't being affected? The people who are reporting it seem fairly random. I'm still leaning toward the theory that the vB software is 'never too busy' for the mods. It seems for whatever reason it (software) has some housecleaning it thinks it needs to do and limits users. ...But maybe it still lets mods in. It's the vBulletin software giving us the message, not something from the server itself. Something is happening where vBulletin software is basically thinking the server is too busy so it (vBulletin) puts a roadblock up itself. But it isn't a server crash keeping us from even loading up the site... we're still getting to the PD site, just stuck at the 'server too busy' message that vB itself is giving us.

I bet if you log on with a dummy account that isn't set as a mod you'd eventually see the message too. My guess is that regular users have all seen this problem but not this thread. Maybe not the once or twice per day lurkers (altho only because they don't load the site/topics enough or make replies)... and maybe not mods. Has anyone that has seen this thread, except for mods, not seen the problem?

_Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 06-06-2008 at 11:16 PM.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Not sure if any of this helps or not (it does appear Admins are immune from the message we're seeing).

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216066

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/v...s_group_server

Nothing is being set to a file, however I think I just figured out the reason I'm getting the server busy messages; my NIX server load rating was set to 5. I noticed I was getting the errors when my load went up to 7 or so. I bumped the NIX server load rating up to 40 and all seems to be well.

Should I have been getting an error message in those situations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol, vBulletin Customer Support Manager
    No, you do not get error emails on server load issues. Also the Admin is exempt from seeing that error.

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    My guess is that regular users have all seen this problem but not this thread.

_Bball
    I talked to Kegboy tonight. He said he's been having the same problems, but didn't know about the thread.

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh everytime

Mood

I know for a fact at least two Admin have had it happen to them, so no it's not because I'm an Admin.

It happened again to me, while I was reading this thread... hmmm

I know for a fact at least two Admin have had it happen to them, so no it's not because I'm an Admin.
    Are there different levels of Admins? It seems strange you're not seeing it happen, 2 other admins are, and yet a vBulletin Customer Support Manager says Admins won't see the message.

Any chance those 2 admins weren't logged in as admins? Pretty sure I've seen Gnome on an account that is not his reg admin account.

I think the problem has been getting worse, and is probably more widespread than you might be giving it credit for since you're not seeing it. I'm ready to bet a cookie that your Admin status is why you haven't seen it, not simply because it doesn't affect the whole community. But I could be wrong.... I like cookies tho

The next time it happens I'll try immediately switching browsers and see what happens.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Ive been on since 6 AM (Now about 7:15) and it's happend 4 times. I simply close out of the Net, log back in and it's all okie doke. Very annoying tho.

Is it really that busy at 6 AM on a Saturday Morning?????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I use Xp IE 7 and Firefox (newest editions) I also use OSX (last two versions) with Safari and Firefox (both latest) and I get it. I have gotten it like 4 times in the last two hours.

Also I appreciate everything that you guys do. If this is the only problem on this board then I am happy with it. It is great for the price.

Mood

Are there different levels of Admins? It seems strange you're not seeing it happen, 2 other admins are, and yet a vBulletin Customer Support Manager says Admins won't see the message.

Any chance those 2 admins weren't logged in as admins? Pretty sure I've seen Gnome on an account that is not his reg admin account.
    In the past when problems came about, it was always something with the server, something hardware related. The links you provided also suggest a server issue, which has nothing to do with someone's status on the board, regular member or Administrator. It's not necessarily the computer itself, but something connecting to it, or that sort of thing. I say it's more likely something of that nature that will work itself out within a week or so.

And no, there are not different levels of Admins.

Also, I just looked, and PD's *NIX is set to 50 (not 5, 50), so that's not it.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Ive been on since 6 AM (Now about 7:15) and it's happend 4 times. I simply close out of the Net, log back in and it's all okie doke. Very annoying tho.

Is it really that busy at 6 AM on a Saturday Morning?????
    6am for you is mid-day for us Euros...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    6am for you is mid-day for us Euros...
    See? I'm right when I tell my kids that sleeping past 8 o'clock is wasting half the day.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't know if this is part of the "busy" problem, but the new woodgrain background picture takes a very long time to load for me. I don't have the fastest connection (sprint broadband, which is right about on par with DSL) and the image really bogs down my activity. it takes about 15-30 seconds to finally fill in.

Hicks, if you want you can send me the image and I can reduce the file size considerably so that it will load faster.

For the time being, I switched to the "clean" style and I'm back up to wasting time at lightning speed.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Thanks for the offer, but I've got it. I just uploaded the new one. I had rushed through putting the old one up, and had left it as a (too) high-res .gif file. Switching to .jpg took the size down big time (about 64kb as I'd lowered the res. as well).

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Wow - WAY faster. You'll save Abel a lot of bandwidth, too. Good job!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got it a few times today.

I have gotten it on Firefox and IE and on both a DSL and a wireless connection.

I had a bad string of it earlier this month but it's much more sporadic now. That sounded bad.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I just wrote a reply and lost it with yet another sever busy error - 11:35 to about 12:10 based on checking every few minutes.

It's getting really bad in the last few weeks, and this is the offseason with little to no news.

I was like Kegboy, I had no idea this thread existed or I would have mentioned it before. XP/IE for certain, not sure if I've seen it on my home XP/Firefox but I can't say for certain that I haven't either.

Any chance they aren't talking about the same thing that the regular posters are talking about and experiencing?

I'm still stuck on the fact that you're not experiencing it and the vBulletin guy says Admins won't experience the error message that regular users experience.

In the past when there have been errors I just couldn't get to PD at all or would just get a white screen with an error message on it. This error is allowing us to get to PD but then the vBulletin software puts up its own roadblock. We'll see the woodgrain background, etc with a 'please try again later' vBulletin message.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98733

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260291
    Last edited by Bball; 06-09-2008 at 01:04 PM.

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I just wrote a reply and lost it with yet another sever busy error.
    While I was in the midst of writing a long post I got worried that it would happen to me, but it didn't. Hasn't happened yet and I've been on for over an hour.

Mood

Any chance they aren't talking about the same thing that the regular posters are talking about and experiencing?

I'm still stuck on the fact that you're not experiencing it and the vBulletin guy says Admins won't experience the error message that regular users experience.
    I don't think that's what he was saying, was he? I thought he was saying that the Admin won't receive a warning (vB will email you) when the problem occurs.

In the past when there have been errors I just couldn't get to PD at all or would just get a white screen with an error message on it. This error is allowing us to get to PD but then the vBulletin software puts up its own roadblock. We'll see the woodgrain background, etc with a 'please try again later' vBulletin message.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98733

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260291
    I'm not sure what else to do. If it persists, I may experiment a bit with the NIX # (it's 50 now, most say have it at five, others got theirs to work when they switched to 0, but some did not), but I'm not an expert in this area so I'm not hot to tinker with it too quickly.