Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

Didn't know if this was discussed elsewhere or needed another thread, but...

This is a couple days old, and I'm hoping they update this, but NBA.com put together a consolidated look at the "best" mock drafts. This is how they did it:

To calculate the consensus, we awarded 14 points for the first overall pick, 13 to the second, continuing to 1 for the final lottery pick. The player with the highest point total represents the top overall selection.
    The "consensus" pick for the Pacers was Russell Westbrook, based on this calculation from 11 different mocks. It's far from scientific, but it's an interesting look.

BTW...this only does the 14 lottery picks.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hoopsworld with no Westbrook in the top 14 AND DJ Augustin at 7? Eric Gordan falls to 11?

A mockery of a mock

EVERYONE in the NBA sees 'brook as an NBA caliber athlete. Maybe need factors in at some point, but not to a Danny Granger goes to 17 level. There is no major question mark on Westbrook other than "how can my team use him". No injury, no work ethic, no off court issues.

And I'm not even really a big Westbrook fan, certainly not as the Pacers PG solution (like him for SG though despite no outside shot).

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hoopsworld with no Westbrook in the top 14 AND DJ Augustin at 7? Eric Gordan falls to 11?

A mockery of a mock

EVERYONE in the NBA sees 'brook as an NBA caliber athlete. Maybe need factors in at some point, but not to a Danny Granger goes to 17 level. There is no major question mark on Westbrook other than "how can my team use him". No injury, no work ethic, no off court issues.

And I'm not even really a big Westbrook fan, certainly not as the Pacers PG solution (like him for SG though despite no outside shot).
    Yeah, I didn't look at the specific mocks, I just thought it'd be nice to see a bunch together.

I would agree that it would probably take some pretty horrific workouts for Westbrook to drop out of the lottery or past us. (And by horrific, I mean they'd have to include the entrance of male prostitutes and a bearded lady with whipped cream and jumper cables.)

I would have no problem with either Westbrook or Love as a Pacer but then I am a big time UCLA Bruin fan...

Westbrook is not even close to strong enough to play much 2 guard unless you have a real large pg. Westbrook has good to better then average ball handling skills, does not have the creative passing instincts of a premier pg but is quick enough to do ok running the point. He has a streaking outside shot with reasonable range. Much better scorer in the 18-14 foot range and is quick enough to get open with good lift on the jumper. Can score inside fairly well on drives against the big. His defense is better then average(uses his quickness to good advantage does not gamble) but not to the level of a Bowen but could be that good if he gets good coaching as is he still would stop penetration on all but the elite pg's in the NBA. Offensively he is more of a pure scorer type then a pure shooter. Mostly he finds ways of putting the ball in the basket rather then a catch and shoot guy. Very quick with the ball he will be able to penetrate against most anyone. Weakness because he is not a pure shooter he can go cold from deep and is not great ft shooter, project to around mid 70's in the NBA. He also is not a pure PG and sometimes has trouble with ball control on penetration but he has shown marked improvement at UCLA in running the point. Could work well on the pacers with Dun's as a two.

Love is a PF/Center in the NBA.... most all of Love's strengths have been mentioned in this thread. Yet I will highlight what I think will work for him in the NBA... a solid smart effective rebounder both offensively and defensively even against more athletic bigs (again due to coaching does not gamble and plays good position and technique). Very good passer, good instincts on the offensive end, and yes he is a good outlet passer, no one in the NBA is better, I can remember only one bad outlet pass all year and that was in the final 4 against Memphis. Can score inside is creative with a wide range of shots including a little jump hook he showed from time to time. A very very good shooter with range, the NBA three might be out of his range as a rookie but if he makes it by year two or three he will be able make it at a 40% rate. As is he will be deadly up to 20 feet if left open. Good ft shooter for a big, high 70's to 80's. A smart and very driven player, wants to win and will play hard for 60 minutes. Main weakness is by default his size, he can have trouble scoring put backs as he does not have the explosiveness to Slam it, a little more strength conditioning might help here. He would struggle against players like Howard, and Wallace. Camby would be able to shut him down. Would work well on the pacers even if we still have JO. He can slide to high post to JO's low post. He also works good on the pick and roll, with a quick catch and shoot shot.
    You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you? ..... You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.....
    Silly rabbit..... Trix are for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Pacers Begin Preparing Their Workouts

The Pacers have begun working out players at Conseco Fieldhouse this week and a variety of talent has been evaluated by team president Larry Bird and general manager David Morway.

"We're considering everything and one of the things that we have looked at is acquiring another pick later in the first round," Morway said in a phone interview
    YES!!! I think I'm actually liking Morway...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    .....but what happens if/when we end up not trading for another pick?

Then that would obviously be a letdown. Either way though, it's good to be hearing things like that as it gives me some hope.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Agreed. I hope he's able to make it happen.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

A mockery of a mock

This is to everyone:

Assume Gordon and Westbrook are both available to us at #11. Who do you take?

Probably EJ. Although then I'd like to see us make a move for a tall PG that would compensate for EJ's lack of height on the defensive end. Perhaps making a risky investment in Shaun Livingston?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This is to everyone:

gordon

Gordon.

Though, it'd be interesting to see what a Reggie/Alford situation would have been like if Alford was the real deal.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Probably EJ. Although then I'd like to see us make a move for a tall PG that would compensate for EJ's lack of height on the defensive end. Perhaps making a risky investment in Shaun Livingston?
    probably ej? westbrook is a nobody and will be a nobody in the nba. the only time in his life he was ever close to being a somebody, was when he was the #4 option on a ucla team this past year loaded from top to bottom in talent.

This is to everyone:

Gordon, without thinking twice.

This is to everyone:

EJ. Why? His outside shot.

Westbrook is the defender and slightly better ball handler. He also seems much better about getting involved in plays not called for him.

But EJ has size and a much more NBA caliber shooting touch. I think he is closer to a true SG solution than Westbrook is. I actually think it would be bad for him to play in Indy however.

Gordon because he is more explosive offensively than Westbrook is good defensively. Gordon will stick in the league without a doubt because he can put the ball in the basket and can get his own shot. He will either start or perform as an off the bench scorer ala Ben Gordon.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    The height that matters has NOTHING to do with floor to the top of the head. It truly matters in floor to reach, and Love's reach is 8'10". His no step vertical is 29". That's pretty damn good. His one step vertical is 35".
    His one step vert was 35 or was it his max vert?

Verticals are tested with one step. Hardly ever is it a no step. DWade's one step vertical was 35, there's no way that Love is in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Joey Dorsey ran it in 3.20, Patrick Ewing ran it in 3.43, DeAndre Jordan ran it in 3.27, and Brook Lopez ran it in 3.57.

Heck, OJ Mayo was 3.14 seconds... not a big difference.

Basically, Love is going to be able to hang with almost all big men in terms of speed.
    You would be very surprised how big of a difference 0.1 secs difference in sprinting is.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Verticals are tested with one step. Hardly ever is it a no step. DWade's one step vertical was 35, there's no way that Love is in that category.

You would be very surprised how big of a difference 0.1 secs difference in sprinting is.
    The verticals are relevant and something to consider. That and standing reach and wingspan are all important physical characteristics.

The sprint times are entirely overrated IMO. They are not nearly as important as quickness and the ability to change direction in the context of a game...whether on D or O. That's why lateral quickness can be such a big issue. Now, there are instances where a PF runs 75 feet to convert or stop a fast break.....but it's simply not that important.

IOW, I would take that slow guy Pat Ewing over some of the other faster bigs including Mr. Love...who I would like to see in a Pacer uni nonetheless...

How fast does Love throw the ball to the other FT line? I'm betting it's faster than any of the guys guarding him can run. Did they measure that?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

In draft express's database http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...=0&pos=0&sort= both Love's 35 and Wade's 35 were listed under "max vertical". Love had a 29 in "no step vertical", but there was no measurement in this category for Wade.

I could not tell you definitively if the measurements were obtained differently for the "max vertical" in the two years, but, absent any other information, this makes it look like Love matches Wade in this category.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's no way those numbers are correct, or they're categorized wrong. Either one, take your pick.

USAToday has an article on Wade that has his vert at 39inches.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...all-star_x.htm

When we're talking about him having a one step 35" vert, with a standing reach of 8'10", that means he can touch 11'9" in a step. He wouldn't be the player that he is if he was that athletic. Everything he does makes up for what he lacks.

He boxes out as well as anyone, his offensive footwork is very good, and so forth.

They're really trying to say that Love has measured out with the likes of Josh Howard and Dwayne Wade? Come on.....

This is to everyone:

EJ easy. But I'm with whoever said that it's probably better for him not to be the hometown kid.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    EJ easy. But I'm with whoever said that it's probably better for him not to be the hometown kid.
    i agree...just don't see ej mentally handling the load that comes with such a position...ej's biggest problem at iu was trying to do TOO MUCH because he was the "home state kid" and the "iu savior". i strongly feel he'd encounter the same problems with the pacers...

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    probably ej? westbrook is a nobody and will be a nobody in the nba. the only time in his life he was ever close to being a somebody, was when he was the #4 option on a ucla team this past year loaded from top to bottom in talent.
    And you do realize that Westbrook owns EJ defensively, right? So yes, probably EJ.

And you do realize that Westbrook owns EJ defensively, right? So yes, probably EJ.
    westbrook's defense would only be valuable on opposing pgs or combo guards. there's no way he'd be able to guard a legit sg in the nba with his size. even then, when ej put his mind to it, he was a lockdown defender at iu. while westbrook may be the slightly better defender, ej is superior in every other aspect of the game. westbrook is and always will be a nobody to basketball.