Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm still lukewarm as well regarding Westbrook. Limited offense, size of a PG, but isn't a PG, yet plays good D. Not enough there on the surface to entice me. Seems like Rondo was more interesting as a rookie than he might be, unless he shows more.
    Westbrook is a better on ball defender than Rondo. Rondo is a good defender, but I wouldn't call him a lockdown defender like Battier or Bowen. He gambles too much on steals. Westbrook is a lockdown defender, even at the NBA level. Westbrook is also a better shooter than Rondo was coming out of college. Rondo was/is a better ball-handler, but that's about it. Rondo is developing nicely, but his game had more holes than Westbrook's coming out of college.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Westbrook is a better on ball defender than Rondo. Rondo is a good defender, but I wouldn't call him a lockdown defender like Battier or Bowen. He gambles too much on steals. Westbrook is a lockdown defender, even at the NBA level. Westbrook is also a better shooter than Rondo was coming out of college. Rondo was/is a better ball-handler, but that's about it. Rondo is developing nicely, but his game had more holes than Westbrook's coming out of college.
    I like the enthusiasm, but this is almost too much to take. There is no guarantee this guy even makes it in the NBA. Yes, he is athletic. But this "lockdown defender at the NBA level" talk is simply ridiculous. Let's see if the guy can make a starting line-up first.

The NBA is filled with athletic guys. Our good buddy Freddy Jones could defend well and could also jump out of the gym but I don't see him tearing it up in the NBA...certainly not at the PG position. Quis Daniels is taller, longer, defends well, probably drives to the bucket better and is roughly as athletic, but even he have never cracked a starting lineup. Westbrook has very little resume' even in college at PG.

The truth is, Westbrook is UNDERSIZED to play SG and will need to develop NBA level PG skills to have much value. The fact his ball handling and play making ability are suspect, there are already two strikes. This will not be like UCLA nor like a pickup game at the park...many have tried and few have succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    What does "measured well" mean? He measured at 6-7 3/4. That's not what I would consider "measured well". A slow 6-7 3/4 post is not exactly what the Pacers need.
    Hopefully the other GMs agree, and he falls out of the top 10.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Hopefully the other GMs agree, and he falls out of the top 10.
    I agree. It will be interesting to see how Love's game translates, but I suspect strength is not going to be a problem. Players will need to shoot over him, which will happen. He will have problems guarding KG. But he also has a lot of savvy.

Imagine Ike with a basketball IQ. An undersized PF. Not much in terms of hops. Maybe Ike is a bit longer...but Love is a bit taller. The bball IQ is not comparable and will make a huge difference IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    What does "measured well" mean? He measured at 6-7 3/4. That's not what I would consider "measured well". A slow 6-7 3/4 post is not exactly what the Pacers need.
    If most everyone in the league bumps themselves up an inch or two, it translates better when you know the people he's competing aren't as tall as they say either. You can bet Love will be listed at 6'9".

I heard from one of the guys doing the measuring Love actually measured out at 6'6" 7/8.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I agree. It will be interesting to see how Love's game translates, but I suspect strength is not going to be a problem. Players will need to shoot over him, which will happen. He will have problems guarding KG. But he also has a lot of savvy.

Imagine Ike with a basketball IQ. An undersized PF. Not much in terms of hops. Maybe Ike is a bit longer...but Love is a bit taller. The bball IQ is not comparable and will make a huge difference IMO...
    The height that matters has NOTHING to do with floor to the top of the head. It truly matters in floor to reach, and Love's reach is 8'10". His no step vertical is 29". That's pretty damn good. His one step vertical is 35".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    The height that matters has NOTHING to do with floor to the top of the head. It truly matters in floor to reach, and Love's reach is 8'10". His no step vertical is 29". That's pretty damn good. His one step vertical is 35".
    Good point. That's not terrible lift and he's likely to get in better shape. I think he may surprise some people. Again, it will be interesting how his game translates. He is pretty slow, but I still bet he will be fine.

BlueNGold-

Love ran the 3/4-court sprint in 3.22 secs. For comparsion,
    Beasley ran it in 3.24 and Randolph in 3.26.
    Last edited by Rajah Brown; 06-04-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Love ran the 3/4-court sprint in 3.22 secs. For comparsion, Beasley ran it in 3.24 and Randolph in 3.26.
    Joey Dorsey ran it in 3.20, Patrick Ewing ran it in 3.43, DeAndre Jordan ran it in 3.27, and Brook Lopez ran it in 3.57.

Heck, OJ Mayo was 3.14 seconds... not a big difference.

Basically, Love is going to be able to hang with almost all big men in terms of speed.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

NBADraft.net has updated their mock draft and have the Pacers taking Joe Alexander at #11 and the Bucks taking Westbrook at #8. I wonder if there is a trade in the works, because neither one of those picks make much sense for the respective teams. I would be happy if the Pacers traded Shawne Williams and the #11 for Villlanueva and the #8.
    Last edited by eldubious; 06-04-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Anthem-

Exactly. I'm pretty impressed with Love's #'s in every respect. That
    1-step, vert of 35" is damn good for a kid his size who's not known
    as an explosive athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    BlueNGold-

Love ran the 3/4-court sprint in 3.22 secs. For comparsion,
    Beasley ran it in 3.24 and Randolph in 3.26.
    So...Love should be able to play SF then, right? ...or is the hang-up his quickness because he certainly has the standing reach and hops (as indicated in a previous post) to play the position.

....these types of comparisons are interesting, but often do not reflect reality. I have seen more than a couple instances where these numbers are not entirely believable. Without looking, I think Durant's numbers come to mind. I think a better estimate is by looking at these guys play in a competitive game situation....because I certainly do not expect Love to be as quick as Beasley....otherwise it would be Love going #1.

Edit: also, a sprint is one thing. Endurance and being able to keep that pace...along with change of direction and quickness are all totally different factors. I'm a Kevin Love proponent because of his bball IQ and I'm not saying he doesn't have the athleticism, but I do think it is an issue. Size in particular. Otherwise, someone with his bball IQ would be going #1.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 06-04-2008 at 10:48 PM.

So...Love should be able to play SF then, right? ...or is the hang-up his quickness because he certainly has the standing reach and hops (as indicated in a previous post) to play the position.

....these types of comparisons are interesting, but often do not reflect reality. I have seen more than a couple instances where these numbers are not entirely believable. Without looking, I think Durant's numbers come to mind. I think a better estimate is by looking at these guys play in a competitive game situation....because I certainly do not expect Love to be as quick as Beasley....otherwise it would be Love going #1.

Edit: also, a sprint is one thing. Endurance and being able to keep that pace...along with change of direction and quickness are all totally different factors. I'm a Kevin Love proponent because of his bball IQ and I'm not saying he doesn't have the athleticism, but I do think it is an issue. Size in particular. Otherwise, someone with his bball IQ would be going #1.
    Nobody's saying he's "athletic." He's certainly not "explosive." But calling him "slow" is hard to defend.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Nobody's saying he's "athletic." He's certainly not "explosive." But calling him "slow" is hard to defend.
    Slow...not explosive...I'm not sure how much that matters. This is not a track meet. The point is, can the guy move fast enough when it matters?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    NBADraft.net has updated their mock draft and have the Pacers taking Joe Alexander at #11 and the Bucks taking Westbrook at #8. I wonder if there is a trade in the works, because neither one of those picks make much sense for the respective teams. I would be happy if the Pacers traded Shawne Williams and the #11 for Villlanueva and the #8.
    Also.....keep in mind that the Bucks are looking to focus more on the defensive end....Westbrook maybe the type of player that the Bucks are looking for if Gordon is not available.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    Why would the Bucks trade a better player and a higher pick for a lesser player and a lower pick? What's in it for them?

Anyhow, that's just NBADraft's own prediction. I don't think they're making that mock draft on the assumption of any insider information.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Why would the Bucks trade a better player and a higher pick for a lesser player and a lower pick? What's in it for them?

Anyhow, that's just NBADraft's own prediction. I don't think they're making that mock draft on the assumption of any insider information.
    Although the Bucks are looking for a SF....I agree with you on this as well....at their draft spot....they can probably get Gallinari as their future SF instead of trading down.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

A friend and I were looking at NBADraftNet's updated mock, and neither one of us felt Milwaukee would go PG. I've been a Sessions fan for awhile, and I really liked his play in the pre-draft camp last year as well as the summer league.

Slow...not explosive...I'm not sure how much that matters. This is not a track meet. The point is, can the guy move fast enough when it matters?
    Exactly. And Love clearly can, and that's all anybody's going to worry about.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Love only helped himself at the combine. At this point, I'd be all for moving up to get him.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers Begin Preparing Their Workouts

The Pacers have begun working out players at Conseco Fieldhouse this week and a variety of talent has been evaluated by team president Larry Bird and general manager David Morway.

On Wednesday the team worked out North Carolina's Ty Lawson, D.J. Augustin of Texas, Ohio State's Jamar Butler, Stanley Burrell of Xavier, Sasha Kaun of Kansas and Nebraska's Aleks Maric.

They hold the 11th pick in this month's draft.

The team will also workout UCLA's Russell Westbrook within the next few weeks, as well as DeAndre Jordan of Texas A&M.
    Indiana also hasn't ruled out making a deal on the draft night.

"We're considering everything and one of the things that we have looked at is acquiring another pick later in the first round," Morway said in a phone interview.

"We are having ongoing conversations with teams everyday and while I don't know the likelihood of it now, we probably won't see anything happen until the night of the draft," he added.
    Via Andrew Perna/RealGM
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Pacers Begin Preparing Their Workouts

The Pacers have begun working out players at Conseco Fieldhouse this week and a variety of talent has been evaluated by team president Larry Bird and general manager David Morway.

On Wednesday the team worked out North Carolina's Ty Lawson, D.J. Augustin of Texas, Ohio State's Jamar Butler, Stanley Burrell of Xavier, Sasha Kaun of Kansas and Nebraska's Aleks Maric.

They hold the 11th pick in this month's draft.

The team will also workout UCLA's Russell Westbrook within the next few weeks, as well as DeAndre Jordan of Texas A&M.
    Indiana also hasn't ruled out making a deal on the draft night.

"We're considering everything and one of the things that we have looked at is acquiring another pick later in the first round," Morway said in a phone interview.

"We are having ongoing conversations with teams everyday and while I don't know the likelihood of it now, we probably won't see anything happen until the night of the draft," he added.
    Via Andrew Perna/RealGM
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Joey Dorsey ran it in 3.20, Patrick Ewing ran it in 3.43, DeAndre Jordan ran it in 3.27, and Brook Lopez ran it in 3.57.

Heck, OJ Mayo was 3.14 seconds... not a big difference.

Basically, Love is going to be able to hang with almost all big men in terms of speed.
    That's amazing. No way anyone would have guessed Love has so much speed. I guess the question about him is stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    That's amazing. No way anyone would have guessed Love has so much speed. I guess the question about him is stamina.
    A few years ago, nobody would've guessed that Luke Jackson would have graded out to be more athletic than Andre Igoudala, but that's exactly what happened.

"Workout athleticism" and "basketball athleticism" are often two different things.

Jason Smith pretty much dusting Brandan Wright and Kevin Durant in all of the combine drills is another example. And who had last year's best lane agility score from last season? Yes, the great Sun Yue.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    "Workout athleticism" and "basketball athleticism" are often two different things.

Jason Smith pretty much dusting Brandan Wright and Kevin Durant in all of the combine drills is another example. And who had last year's best lane agility score from last season? Yes, the great Sun Yue.
    Yeah I hate the whole offical workout scores thing. Offical height and all that crap. Who really cares? In the end if someone can play or can't play is all that really matters.

I just hope that GMs around the league don't actually put a whole bunch of thought into into these things. I mean do you think Derrick Rose being 6'2 instead of 6'4 is going to drop him in this draft below number 2? I don't think so.