necessary PG instincts/skills is anybody's guess and probably pretty
    questionable. He hasn't played enough period, let alone at PG,
    for anyone to have a clue. If he can't, his ability to defend PG's
    will be of little to no use.

Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Augustin at #6? Really?
    No, not really - but it's Chad Ford. Walsh has been around long enough to know how tough it is for a small PG to be a star. Augustin COULD be that guy but it's a long shot.

What I hope he's done is looked at players he might get at 6 and decided which players are worth taking with that and what situation means trading the pick. Personally, I'd be OK with Randolph or Mayo there but if we get lower on my list I'd say he could trade it for a later first.

And I still say we need to trade into a late first and nab Chalmers, even if we take Augustin/Westbrook at #11. In fact, especially if we take Westbrook, because he's more of a SG anyway.
    I think the same holds true for Indy. If there isn't a PG worth taking at 11, trade down to 19-22 and take a SG. Most of the guys I have pegged to go from 12-20 - the best athletes - are SF's. Trade down and take CDR or someone else. Or take a shot at someone like Jordan but you better be patient.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    One more, Weaver pulls a Prince and runs down Westbrook. Weaver plays a little wing point and is a monster defender, and can be had in the late first or maybe even early 2nd. He's also got a really solid family situation and work ethic that puts him in line with Augustin somewhat. Wingspan is probably an issue, as is consistent offense, but he does give you a lot of what you want from Westbrook for a lot cheaper.

&nbsp
    Yeah, I'd be absolutely delighted if we could somehow land Weaver. Just bring him off the bench as a situational defender to start. Maybe he develops a little more offensive game but that's gravy. Heavy cheese factor on the music in that clip.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I'm still lukewarm as well regarding Westbrook. Limited offense, size of a PG, but isn't a PG, yet plays good D. Not enough there on the surface to entice me. Seems like Rondo was more interesting as a rookie than he might be, unless he shows more.

Hmm...I would really like CDR, I think. I'd be happy if we walked away from this draft with him. I still don't get why he is so low. What's so funny is that even Ford seems fairly sure that he could start on a contending team, like the Hornets. I guess a solid starter is nothing special in the draft.

If the Pacers only took one player in the draft, I'd prefer it to be Westbrook. He has star potential because he is still learning the game. He will be what Antonio Daniels should have been.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The key with Weaver is that he has some offense, way more than Greene did. There's another clip out there where Weaver crosses over Mayo pretty badly.

Now you don't count on his offense or his shot, but at least you don't worry that he'll hand the ball over every 2 seconds like Greene did/does. He's a leaner PGish version of B Rush to me.

I realize we don't need more bench guys, but at some point you might want to fill the bench with guys you really would like to develop and have hopes for. If you've tried Owens and are passing then grab Weaver as the replacement rather than going FA.

Rexnom, I think the concern with CDR is his defense and maybe even his offensive game off the ball. Clearly he can score it in multiple ways and that's intriguing, but is it enough. I do like him but not quite as much as some other players.

I'm fine if we draft many "solid" players, but not stars*, if you can get a team of them. You get depth, and you might get lucky and one or two of them exceed your expectations.

*assuming we don't draft much higher than we are this year

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I would still very much like us to move up a couple of spots if possible to get Gordon or if Lopez is really slipping this much then why not try to get just a few spots up and nap him?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

if gordon is sitting around at 7, i wonder if LAC would do the 11th + ike for the 7th???

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ike isn't going to get you anything. They would probably rather have Shawne.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Ike isn't going to get you anything. They would probably rather have Shawne.

I would do 11 and shawne for Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    I would do 11 and shawne for Gordon.
    Sorry if this has been reported before but both Gordon and DJ White refused to work out for the Pacers. Gordon expects to be gone by the time the Pacers pick at 11 and White expects to be gone before 41. I think it could be a sign they don't want to play for the Pacers or maybe they just never heard of a team trading up in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    Sorry if this has been reported before but both Gordon and DJ White refused to work out for the Pacers. Gordon expects to be gone by the time the Pacers pick at 11 and White expects to be gone before 41. I think it could be a sign they don't want to play for the Pacers or maybe they just never heard of a team trading up in the draft.
    I would hope it is the latter. I believe there is no greater honor in professional sports to get to lead your hometown team to a championship.

Realgm.com has updated their Mock Draft and they have Westbrook and Augustin being selected before we pick.

That would be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Realgm.com has updated their Mock Draft and they have Westbrook and Augustin being selected before we pick.

That would be interesting
    They're full of crap. Love at #15? No way. If he's on the board at #11, we take him no questions asked.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Who is Chad Ford?
    What are his credentials?
    Why should we put any validation into his mock draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Who is Chad Ford?
    What are his credentials?
    Why should we put any validation into his mock draft?
    Chad Ford is a long time draft expert at ESPN, who routinely interviews and talks to scouts, GM's and team presidents during the season. His mock drafts are not who he thinks should go where but what he's hearing from his league sources.

He's said this past week that he thought a few people told him outright lies during the 0rlando pre-draft camp in who they are interested in, but still an overall pattern emerges.

I like him better than anyone else.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 06-04-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    They're full of crap. Love at #15? No way. If he's on the board at #11, we take him no questions asked.
    I would hope this would be true, particularly over Deandre Jordan.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm fine if we draft many "solid" players, but not stars*, if you can get a team of them. You get depth, and you might get lucky and one or two of them exceed your expectations.

*assuming we don't draft much higher than we are this year
    I agree with this even further, in that this idea that THIS YEAR we must get a star is wrong. If you can, sure, but otherwise let things flow naturally if you want to make the most of things.

Simmons anti-LA rant (in jest) brings up yet again just how often the Lakers got superstars without being bad or earning the top picks. Often they traded into those stud picks. Imagine if the Pacers had gotten into a deal with Chicago for JO (taking Ben, Hughes and swapping picks). At the time it's iffy, but then they hit the lottery and you are drafting #1.

At some point a REASONABLE chance at a star is going to present itself if you play it smart and patient, or have the saavy to get over on teams in deals (as in DW did, but does Larry).

So many greats came out of deals, including draft day things (see Kobe).

When that chance comes you'd like to have as much in place and waiting on that star as you can.

I agree. Love measured well, looks leaner, and has done nothing to slow the ground swell for him. I think he's getting overhyped even. Just a few months ago I was looking at him to be a great pick around 17 when he was set to be there and the Pacers looked to be picking that low. Amazing to see the drastic change.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-04-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    No small feat.

Nobody's worried about his defense at the 1 spot, or even his ability to score on opposing PGs. We need more than that from a point man, though. You don't learn to run a team by working out in a gym.

Not saying he can't (and I'd be glad to draft him) but it's not a sure thing.
    That was your comment about developing PG instincts. Not that I disagree with the notion, but I'd be curious what your thoughts or anyone else's thoughts are on that subject.

I don't view Tinsley as having PG instincts. He's more of a two read PG, he either finds the assist or forces up a shot. Those aren't PG instincts. Those are stat instincts. I know you didn't bring up Tinsley, but he's the person whose job we're implicitly discussing.

Westbrook averaged 4.3 assists per game, leading UCLA, on a team which ran a pretty disciplined motion offense. That usually implies, outside of post feeds into Love, not set situation where assists come from. That implies to me a great understanding of when and where the pass must be delivered.

I don't worry about his instincts. I would worry about handling pressure at variable pick up points. That said, I'd be more than happy with Westbrook at #11.

Tinsley is an A-B type PG. In other words, he will make the play which leads to an assist, but he only stubbornly makes the play which leads to the pass which leads to the assist. In other words, he would suck at hockey. I'd take my chances on a strong defender, showing him the ropes, and molding him in a system which very much relies on running a great deal of offense through the wings.

The ball gets too bogged down in Tinsley's hands, and I rather doubt Westbrook would have problems making ball screen reads, which to me is about the only thing Tinsley does well.

Jim (aka Bloom)-

I have nothing to add other than to say this. The more often you
    post here at PD, the better.

Thanks. I actually follow the NBA more than college, but the Rivals buddies keep me hopping.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

I agree. Love measured well, looks leaner, and has done nothing to slow the ground swell for him. I think he's getting overhyped even. Just a few months ago I was looking at him to be a great pick around 17 when he was set to be there and the Pacers looked to be picking that low. Amazing to see the drastic change.

What does "measured well" mean? He measured at 6-7 3/4. That's not what I would consider "measured well". A slow 6-7 3/4 post is not exactly what the Pacers need.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    What does "measured well" mean? He measured at 6-7 3/4. That's not what I would consider "measured well". A slow 6-7 3/4 post is not exactly what the Pacers need.
    "Measured well" means he put on some thicker shoes and socks so he could get up to 6'9.5".