Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 100

Thread: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    i'm officially on the westbrook bandwagon. i like what i'm reading.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ckDraft-080602

  2. #2
    Lights Out, Baby BleedBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    26
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    I completely agree. Westbrook is exactly what we need and we could turn the corner as a team with a player of his abilities. I like Augustin but there's no question that defense is our biggest weakness. In either case, we have to take a point guard without a doubt.

  3. #3
    Member Taterhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,288

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    I'm really torn on the idea of drafting Westbrook. He could be a steal or a complete dud.

    1) He does not have the size to be a great defender at the 2 guard, IMO. While he will be able to bother some guys with his quickness, others will abuse him with thier strength advatage. Seems to me that if he is going to be worth the 11th pick, he has got to be able to play PG. He does intrigue me as a PG prospect, and could be a Rajon Rondo type lead guard. But I haven't seen him enough to feel comfortable with us taking him.

    2) He has not played enough point guard to be able to tell if he can play it at the NBA level. PG is one position where there is a huge leap from NCAA to NBA. The draft camps and workouts will go along way to help make the determination, but it's still a complete guessing game.

    3) If he can't play either position effectively, you cannot have him on the floor. Therefor, his defensive abilities are a complete waste. An example of this is Greg Buckner, who is a tenacious defender. But he does not have the size or skillset to play either position well enough to be a major contributor. And whatever team he is on can't play him down the stretch of important games because of his glaring weaknesses, when his defensive abilities are needed most.

    I agree that if he can play the point effectively, he fills some glaring weaknesses we have very well. I hope he's there so we have the choice. But if he looks like he needs a lot of work to be able to play the point, I would rather us take Deandre Jordan and put the time in development into him.

  4. #4
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Wow. I think Westbrook can be a good player, but I certainly don't see him being a star. Not even close.

    It's a sign of a bad draft when everyone is talking about trading down.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  5. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Hey, if he drops to 11 I'll be thrilled. Basically somebody has to drop. I just hope it's not Augustin.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  6. #6
    Lights Out, Baby BleedBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    26
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FP0ua5xFw4

    Nothing else needs to be said

  7. #7
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey, if he drops to 11 I'll be thrilled. Basically somebody has to drop. I just hope it's not Augustin.
    Augustin at 11 is not a drop.

    I've stuck up for Westbrook other than the non-PG thing, but at the same time I don't see it as a HR pick. I'd be far more thrilled with Love and his game smarts. It's just that I do see the athletic ability in Westbrook and think that part is legit.

    However I think he might have the impact of an Augman perhaps, though it's Weaver who reminds me most of SA in terms of body type and playing style.


    Not necessarily at 11, but the guys I most want to be Pacers after watching them play at least a couple of games, in order:
    Love, Mayo, Rush, Chalmers, Arthur, Weaver, Lee, Westbrook, Walker

    Rose and Beas I didn't even bother naming, and I almost left Mayo off too. EJ and Lopez I'd be fine with at 11 but I wouldn't trade up to go get them. There are some other potentially talented guys out there but most of them didn't grab me as someone I really want on the team (or don't want for that matter, more like meh).

    Some guys on my list I like more specifically because I think the Pacers could get them with their 2nd pick or trading back into round 1/up from their 2nd pick.

  8. #8
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    I see Westbrook, at worst, as finding his niche being a defensive stopper. Hopefully he develops some kind of consistent jumper and becomes a great perimeter player on offense as well.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    westbrook has the physical abilities to be a legit all-star. few pg's in the league would have his size and athletic ability. the minute he's drafted, he's already an above average defender at the point position. he literally shut down guys like mayo and bayless all season long. all he needs to do is develop pg instincts and a jump shot. everything i have read says he is a gym rat, which tells me that that development is possible.

    augustin is a nice player, but he's not a starting pg on a contending team. he's a rich man's jameer nelson. pg's like arenas, billups, williams, etc would eat him for lunch.

    i'm willing to take the risk on westbrook. at worst he's a defensive stopper off the bench.

  10. #10
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    all he needs to do is develop pg instincts
    No small feat.

    Nobody's worried about his defense at the 1 spot, or even his ability to score on opposing PGs. We need more than that from a point man, though. You don't learn to run a team by working out in a gym.

    Not saying he can't (and I'd be glad to draft him) but it's not a sure thing.
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-02-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #11
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    I'd be fairly happy if we could get Westbrook.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    If the Pacers only took one player in the draft, I'd prefer it to be Westbrook. He has star potential because he is still learning the game. He will be what Antonio Daniels should have been.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No small feat.

    Nobody's worried about his defense at the 1 spot, or even his ability to score on opposing PGs. We need more than that from a point man, though. You don't learn to run a team by working out in a gym.

    Not saying he can't (and I'd be glad to draft him) but it's not a sure thing.
    That was your comment about developing PG instincts. Not that I disagree with the notion, but I'd be curious what your thoughts or anyone else's thoughts are on that subject.

    I don't view Tinsley as having PG instincts. He's more of a two read PG, he either finds the assist or forces up a shot. Those aren't PG instincts. Those are stat instincts. I know you didn't bring up Tinsley, but he's the person whose job we're implicitly discussing.

    Westbrook averaged 4.3 assists per game, leading UCLA, on a team which ran a pretty disciplined motion offense. That usually implies, outside of post feeds into Love, not set situation where assists come from. That implies to me a great understanding of when and where the pass must be delivered.

    I don't worry about his instincts. I would worry about handling pressure at variable pick up points. That said, I'd be more than happy with Westbrook at #11.

    Tinsley is an A-B type PG. In other words, he will make the play which leads to an assist, but he only stubbornly makes the play which leads to the pass which leads to the assist. In other words, he would suck at hockey. I'd take my chances on a strong defender, showing him the ropes, and molding him in a system which very much relies on running a great deal of offense through the wings.

    The ball gets too bogged down in Tinsley's hands, and I rather doubt Westbrook would have problems making ball screen reads, which to me is about the only thing Tinsley does well.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Jim (aka Bloom)-

    I have nothing to add other than to say this. The more often you
    post here at PD, the better.

  15. #15
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Augustin at #6? Really?

    And I still say we need to trade into a late first and nab Chalmers, even if we take Augustin/Westbrook at #11. In fact, especially if we take Westbrook, because he's more of a SG anyway.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Augustin at #6? Really?
    No, not really - but it's Chad Ford. Walsh has been around long enough to know how tough it is for a small PG to be a star. Augustin COULD be that guy but it's a long shot.

    What I hope he's done is looked at players he might get at 6 and decided which players are worth taking with that and what situation means trading the pick. Personally, I'd be OK with Randolph or Mayo there but if we get lower on my list I'd say he could trade it for a later first.

    And I still say we need to trade into a late first and nab Chalmers, even if we take Augustin/Westbrook at #11. In fact, especially if we take Westbrook, because he's more of a SG anyway.
    I think the same holds true for Indy. If there isn't a PG worth taking at 11, trade down to 19-22 and take a SG. Most of the guys I have pegged to go from 12-20 - the best athletes - are SF's. Trade down and take CDR or someone else. Or take a shot at someone like Jordan but you better be patient.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  17. #17

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    the pacers really need to try to steal that #13 from portland...foster for pryz + #13?

    EDIT: or maybe some sort of deal involving jo and that #13 pick being the key...i'd be less inclined to want granger gone if we could somehow acquire a solid pick without giving him up...
    Last edited by croz24; 06-02-2008 at 11:36 PM.

  18. #18
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,825

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Lopez is slipping a lot. He was projected to go around 3 a few months ago. I hope he keeps dropping, I would rather have him than a PG

  19. #19
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lopez is slipping a lot. He was projected to go around 3 a few months ago. I hope he keeps dropping, I would rather have him than a PG
    That would be great... not sure it will happen, but the dude is dropping. Not a flashy pick, but more than solid at #11.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    You know i'm not a fan of most of the bigs in this draft but if we take one we might as take that French big. Trade for a later pick maybe.

    I never seen him play but there are just so many question marks surronding most these bigs this french big man sounds as good as any of em.

  21. #21
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    You want highlights try this instead of 'brook dunking on a guy that should have had the charge taken.

    Love, taking it out of the net on a make, 2 hand chest pass instant fastbreak. You don't need to run to be part of a running game...






    BTW, he did this EVERY game I saw him play.

  22. #22
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,371
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Everytime I see Russell Westbrook -I see Fred Jones -- sorry that doesn't thrill me at all.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You want highlights try this instead of 'brook dunking on a guy that should have had the charge taken.

    Love, taking it out of the net on a make, 2 hand chest pass instant fastbreak. You don't need to run to be part of a running game...






    BTW, he did this EVERY game I saw him play.
    yup, that's about how westbrook scored half of his baskets...only if love were a 7 footer. no question he'd be the #1 pick in the draft and would probably go down as an all-time great. 6'8 1/2" without shoes does scare me. again, if i HAD to chose between love, westbrook, and augustin at #11, i'd take love. if we came out of this draft with love, walker, and lawson, i'd be happy...

  24. #24
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    One more, Weaver pulls a Prince and runs down Westbrook. Weaver plays a little wing point and is a monster defender, and can be had in the late first or maybe even early 2nd. He's also got a really solid family situation and work ethic that puts him in line with Augustin somewhat. Wingspan is probably an issue, as is consistent offense, but he does give you a lot of what you want from Westbrook for a lot cheaper.



    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-03-2008 at 01:13 AM.

  25. #25
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,837

    Default Re: Chad Ford - Mock Draft 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One more, Weaver pulls a Prince and runs down Westbrook. Weaver plays a little wing point and is a monster defender, and can be had in the late first or maybe even early 2nd. He's also got a really solid family situation and work ethic that puts him in line with Augustin somewhat. Wingspan is probably an issue, as is consistent offense, but he does give you a lot of what you want from Westbrook for a lot cheaper.


    &nbsp
    Yeah, I'd be absolutely delighted if we could somehow land Weaver. Just bring him off the bench as a situational defender to start. Maybe he develops a little more offensive game but that's gravy. Heavy cheese factor on the music in that clip.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

Similar Threads

  1. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 4
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM
  2. Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 2.0: Picks 1-30 [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
  4. Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 1.0: Picks 1-30 [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 03:50 PM
  5. Top Draft Prospects
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •