Thread: Good Beach Vacation Spots

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Good Beach Vacation Spots

My anniversery is coming up next month and the wife and i want to go to a nice beach location. A trip to an all inclusive in Mexico would be nice, but the lack of passports and hurricaine season make that a weak choice right now.

What are some good beach spots on either coast in cont. US? Any help would be apprecieated.

Default Re: Good Beach Vacation Spots

Depending on where you want to go, there are several.

One of my favorites is the Sanibel Island Area of Florida. My wife and I actually got married out on the beach on Sanibel Island. Beautiful beachs, and just agenerally relaxing place to go. And its just a short ride from the naples area if you want to go look at all the big houses, etc. There's actually an awesome little resort by the Hyatt in Bonita springs thats right between Fort Myers and Naples thats pretty dern nice and it has its own private island they will take you out to to just hang out on the beach without having to worry about making sure you've got a spot reserved.

And then there's always the Myrtle Beach area if you want something on the ocean side. But we tend to go for North Myrtle Beach instead of staying in town, you can get some really great deals on rental house for a week and then go down into Myrtle Beach for the touristy stuff. And they just open the Hard Rock Theme Park there thats supposed to be pretty cool.

Just a couple sugggestions that I know anything about for you Ken.

If you are looking for something a little more touristy, you could try Gulf Shores, AL I have family there, and theres lots to do, with lost of great places to eat, but its definitely a little more touristy than the sanibel area might be for you.

Thanks Gyron, I'll check those out.

If you end up going to Gulf shores, make sure you find and eat at 2 places.

The Pink Pony Pub. Its an Icon there. Just go for Drinks if you want, but its been there for years and years.

And find LuLu's, its off the beach a little bit up the main road towards Foley, but it's Jimmy Buffett's Sister's Resturant. VERY casual, but on Friday and Saturday nights, always live singers, great great food and I just love the open air atmosphere. The open the resturant by rolling up a bunch of garage doors. Its actually on the intercostal waterway, so you are on the water, but not the actual beach. But the food is totally worth it. And its almost always busy, so be prepared for a short wait to get a table.

Oh, and if you go to Sanibel Island, there used to be a place called "The Mucky Duck". I don't know if its still there or if its as good as it used to be, but they had some kick *** seafood when we were down there last.

Sanibel Island is incredibly nice, and as Gyron said the entire environment is serene and relaxing. A good amount of things to do that aren't beach-related IIRC.

I'd recommend Fort De Soto as well.

I'll "second" LuLu's in Gulf Shores.

Was down there on spring break a couple of years ago. The wait was very long - they had just moved into their new location and were still getting some of the kinks worked out.

We ended up at a couple of seats at the bar.

Ice cold beer. A wonderful grouper sandwich. Live music. And a Pacers game on TV. Doesn't get much better than that.

We stayed out near Ft. Morgan. We were probably 10-15 minutes from the touristy areas.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Oh, and Sanibel is great, too. Need to go back there one day.

So many beaches, so little time.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Ya'll like wine and food?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

We like food. Not much for wine.

Sanibel Island is very nice, Hilton Head is nice. Destin and the areas just to the east are very nice, incredible beaches - the whitest and softest sand you'll ever see.

Maldives Islands - especially the Conrad Resort.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

This isn't continental US, but Aruba has beaches that are right out of a Corona commercial. By far, the most amazing beach I've ever been to was Eagle Beach. Gets a little pricey to stay at a resort out there, though.

I want to thank everyone for their input. We were set to go to Sanibel but then decided to just go back to Corpus due to finances. We are definately saving up to go to an all inclusive next year.

Thanks again guys.

On other thing to add. If you can get one of those Entertainment Savings books do so. We were able to get $169 rooms at the Omni for $99 a night. $25 well spent.