Thread: How to turn the Pacers around: Ownership and front office

Default How to turn the Pacers around: Ownership and front office

I have to admit that as a fan dating back to the Reggie days I have never been as disinterested in the Pacers as I was the past two seasons. Now granted we all have things that are happening in our lives, some of us move to new states, some of us get new jobs, and some of us are even lucky enough to get married. With that said the Pacers most definitely have a lot of fans to win back. Now I do agree that winning brings fans back, but more on that later.

So let’s just assume hypothetically that all of us have won the lottery and as of today, June 1st 2008, we have purchased the Indiana Pacers. Now throwing out the joking comments like “Go take a vacation for a year” or “Go marry X celebrity and hire Linday Lohan as my part entertainment” what would you do to realistically win fans back.

I am not really sure how well this will go over but what I would like to do is just lay the ground work for a few changes I would make and then expand on them as time goes on. They are, in no particular order:

• Ownership and front office
    • Coach’s
    • Financial Management / Player Management (I am not really aware of all the tv deals and money the team gets away from tickets so I decided to group these two together)
    • Marketing/winning fans back

I have been working on this draft but if anyone wants to add to this list please feel free to do so.

So just to start this off let’s look at: Ownership and front office

We can assume that you are the sole owner just to keep things simple.

Owner – Final call on all player moves, trades, contract negotiations, draft picks, and all of the business sides of the house (merchandise, tickets, parking, etc…..)

The only big thing I would like to do would be to be more “hand’s on”. Now I know some people really like how the Simons go about their business, but I for one appreciate the Mark Cuban kind of hands on. Now the blog can be a little over the top at times (although I check it regularly and enjoy it) and the getting into it with refs can be over the top, but I love his intensity and I love how he goes about what he does. There is a fine line between going over the top and being “involved”, but this is something I would love to see the Pacers do. I know they do a meeting before the season with season ticket holder, and while that is a start I would like to see them do more. Maybe set up an email address where anyone can contact the owner. Maybe do a radio show where you can take questions and answers. On second thought that would probably be a bad idea but I am just throwing things out and seeing what sticks.

Jim Morris – Day to day operations of Pacers, Fever and the field house

Larry Bird – Runs the Pacers side of the house from a basketball standpoint, just from what I have read/heard about him I would image he will still do some scouting

David Morway – contract negotiations, runs all basketball decisions and then runs them by Larry Bird.
    (Thanks to smoothdave1 from which I borrowed some of our management teams responsibilities)

Now there is no doubt that we can argue that our front office has been burnt on a few occasions. Now mind you I didn’t say they were “horrible” or “incompetent”. I simply do not think that is correct. Many wanted Donnie to take risks and he did. He got burnt badly by Ronnie and the brawl and more recently he has been burnt by JO and Tinsley. Now I happen to think part of that problem is over loyalty (which we saw with one Jonathan Bender, but the truth is if we didn’t pay JO that money he would have got in elsewhere). Now part of the problem is also perception and personally I do think that won’t be solved until everyone from the brawl is shipped out, but more on that later on.
    With that said Donnie is gone so now we start a new chapter in Pacers basketball management.

We all know Larry has to prove himself. I personally think he can do better than he has (There is no way to get around it, Runi was a bust). Larry has surrounded himself with good people, but the question is will he be able to work well A. with his players and B. with other gm’s. Now I am not sure if this has been discussed, but I would assume Larry would be the one on the phones making the trades. I may incorrect and that may be part of David Morways responsibilities. I think it is common knowledge JO and Larry don’t like each other, so if Larry is hell-bent on trading JO (and Tinsley for that matter) I would like to see us get something decent in return. Even if we can’t equal value, I think a lot of how this “rebuild” will be viewed will depend on how much we get back. I guess there could be a discussion of if we really are going to be through a "rebuild" or just "re-tooling", but either way big changes are coming and what we get in return will have a big impact on if, and how soon we get the casual fans back.

In conclusion I do think we have a front office that is very capable of turning this team around, and with some youth making this team a playoff contender in a two or three years, but I am very interested to see how Bird interacts with the players along with what moves he makes, if any. I also am really happy to have Morway in his new positions, he has been really instrumental behind the scenes (Peja trade) and I am glad to see him get recognized for that.

Default Re: How to turn the Pacers around: Ownership and front office

the pacers just need that franchise player. that player who will draw fans by himself to come to the games. once he is found, we can then think about building a winning team and surrounding that player with complimentary pieces. it's just a dumb move imo, to get your complimentary pieces first, and then find your franchise player. that strategy just does not work...whoever management-wise can find our next franchise player, has my blessing...

The only way to win fans back is to win games. If you win they will come. It's that simple.

It's important for everyone who works for the Pacers to do their job and do it well.

I think that Morwary does well and hopefully Bird will as the head guy. We know we have good owners. It's really up to Bird to put it all together because he has the resources.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only way to win fans back is to win games. If you win they will come. It's that simple.

It's important for everyone who works for the Pacers to do their job and do it well.

I think that Morwary does well and hopefully Bird will as the head guy. We know we have good owners. It's really up to Bird to put it all together because he has the resources.
    I don't know that that's entirely true about winning bringing back the fans. Then again, the Pacers have never really been known for their great attendance numbers throughout the years, even with winning teams. For the fans to come back, winning would probably be nice, but I think a lot has to do with the Colts' recent success, as well as not having a Reggie Miller the fans can relate to. Which is why I think drafting Gordon might not be such a bad idea from purely a PR standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by millertime90 View Post
    I don't know that that's entirely true about winning bringing back the fans. Then again, the Pacers have never really been known for their great attendance numbers throughout the years, even with winning teams. For the fans to come back, winning would probably be nice, but I think a lot has to do with the Colts' recent success, as well as not having a Reggie Miller the fans can relate to. Which is why I think drafting Gordon might not be such a bad idea from purely a PR standpoint.
    You only draft Gordon if he is the best player on the board based on pre-draft analysis.

I love IU and Indiana HS basketball, but I only care to have an Indiana guy on the team if the scouting department believes he's a legit NBA player -- regardless of geographical past.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

hmm....didn't we go into the 1987 draft with the choice of a skinny little ucla guard and a hoosier hometown hero? And this year...we might have the chance to choose from a hometown hero(gordon) and a ucla guard(westbrook). Could history possibly repeat itself? Don't get me wrong, I like gordon and everything, but i just don't think he would be a good fit.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    hmm....didn't we go into the 1987 draft with the choice of a skinny little ucla guard and a hoosier hometown hero? And this year...we might have the chance to choose from a hometown hero(gordon) and a ucla guard(westbrook). Could history possibly repeat itself? Don't get me wrong, I like gordon and everything, but i just don't think he would be a good fit.
    There's a huge difference here. Alford was widely regarded as a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. Outside of the Hoosier faithful, he was on absolutely no one's board at 11. I can remember sitting at the draft with my brother and hoping Horace Grant fell to us. Once he was drafted, we knew it was either Reggie or Mark Jackson.

Gordon, on the other hand, has been hovering around the top 5 all year long. He's widely considered to go Top 6 or 7 now, and if he were to fall to us, it's highly likely that he would be the BPA.

Gordon has some flaws, but I suspect he's going to be a solid-to-good shooting guard. Though we need a point guard more, we can really use all the help we can get in the backcourt.

our main focus should be a PG and secondly a PF/C. JO claims to be 100% this summer and says he will be ready for next season, all healthy. But who knows? Im really intrigued by all these Hinrich rumors, i think the Pacers should jump on that. They should also go after a guy like Nocioni. Both those players can play and help us clean up our "thug" image. If we send Tinsley, Daniels, Dunleavy and a 2nd rounder/Foster for Hinrich and Nocioni...then trade Harrison and Shawne Williams for Frye...we'll have:

Hinrich
    Granger
    Nocioni
    Frye/#11 (Love)
    Oneal

Thats an amazing starting 5 and it cleans up our off court issues

Gordon to me seems to small to be a solid SG in the NBA. He kind of reminds me of Ben Gordon; amazing scorers. Looks at Granger, Wade, Kobe, Jax, Hedo (once Battie is back)...theyre all very tall and big. We're already loaded at the SG spot anyways, we dont need another swingman. Plus if we're looking to keep JO, he has said that hes not interested in rebuilding because hes at a stage in his career where he doesnt want to be apart of a rebuilding team (which is kind of hard to say for him since he hasnt really played for the past 3 years). If we want to keep JO, we cant rebuild, we need to execute a trade like above
    Last edited by MillerTime; 06-02-2008 at 11:56 AM.