Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2008 Thread

Default Re: Euro 2008 Thread

How about that collision between romanian players, ouch!

Go Netherlands

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

whoooooooooo!

go super sub! 2-0!!!

best scenario - Netherlands qualifies with Romania from this group!

Boo Romania.

Robben showing some skillz

Netherlands put on a show
    Last edited by Chewy; 06-13-2008 at 04:35 PM.

and the Orange does it again!

their offense is their best defense!

France had 2 or 3 good chances to tie the game. If you don't finish those, you're never gonna win. The Netherlands were very efficient and scored some beautiful goals, but they escaped a few times. Could've been a completely different game...4-1 is just way too much. And yes I was rooting for France after a while because they really deserved to tie the game, and against Holland because the Dutch commentary was really annoying (the Flemish is even more annoying, that's why we're watching Dutch TV). It brought out my anti-Holland gene all over again...every good Belgian has such a gene you see.

I hope France still qualifies. Ribéry is such a joy to watch. And Henry looked to be gaining some form during the game. Although he should've at least scored one more goal. Their defense didn't look so good today. Getting a bit old perhaps.
    Last edited by Raskolnikov; 06-13-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

In the other game I thought a draw was about right. If one team deserved to win it was Italy, but in the end they were just not good enough again. All the long balls to Toni...Romania has a pretty good team: very strong defensively and also good in the combination, sometimes better than Italy. They could've easily been the 2nd best team in any of the other groups. And they can still in this one.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

4-1 was flattered, but I gladly take it . 2-1 would have been fairer. Anyway, I think when you look at it the French did get some chances, but they didn't convert them and they mostly weren't nearly as played as our major chances were.

Look at it... most of their chances were medium and long-range shots, compared with mostly short and medium range shots from ours from players coming out of the opposing players backs or moving to the side of "decoys", that was completely different from what France did. You might also argue that the goal we did allow was a bit of a defensive lapse as the player defending Henry should have and could have slided the ball out of his range. Good finish from Henry still btw.

I think the main difference though for us has been chemistry and converting opportunities. This is a team, while I thought France was sort of a team, but more a collection of individual talents.

With regards to the Belgians and Anti-Dutch feelings... dunno what that is, they consider us arrogant, but are we that? Maybe. I think we are just confident or sometimes boasting a little bit because inside we might not be as confident as it seems. Then again the Belgians have a tendency to call us "arrogant" whenever we win a game, no matter what, so that's ok.

Maybe it's a sort of jealousness because their national team, sorry Rasky, hasn't done anything noteworthy the past decade (or more) and hasn't really produced superstar players or a style of play or game philosophy that has actually enriched the game of soccer in it's history.

Maybe it's because of some (adolescent) Dutch tourists that visit Antwerp in the weekends, I dunno, but this is definitely a one-way thing as Dutch people in general definitely don't dislike Belgians like they seem to (sometimes) dislike us, sometimes rightfully so btw.

Regards,

Mourning
    Last edited by Mourning; 06-13-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I'm watchin' the games on the German channel - don't understand a word but its still fun!

I'm hoping Spain ends up on top of their group, so we evade them in the next round. So, though I like Sweden... go Spain .

Credit where credit is due though... this Spanish team is definitely a good team, very nice to watch.

David Villa strikes again! that was a great finish to the game...was very tough on Sweden though...

Russia pulls out the victory over Greece...meaning Greece is already out of the competition...the previous winners can never seem to defend their title properly...

its going to be a crazy game tonight between Czech and Turkey....for my health's sake I would rather win it in 90 minutes instead of a penalty shoot-out...

what a bad performance by the Turks in the first half - its like the players decided to take the night off...passing to the sides does not count as football! and for that very reason we're down...we gotta get our acts together and start to play some ball!

All i can say is WOW, what a thriller. Nihat with ice in his veins, Volkan not so much. Congrats belissimo.

whoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a finish! down 2-0...came back to win it 3-2!!!!

oh this is why I love this tournament!!!

totally disappointed with Volkan in the end.

Turks biggest downfall is their own temper...

this was definitely a great game...I just don't know why we could not play like we did in the last 30 minutes in the first half!

Turkey has gotta be everyone's new favorite team after those two comebacks. I'll be honest. I left after the 65th minute or so thinking the game was over, but I happened to catch the end of the game on repeat on ESPN classic. Great stuff. Especially a red-carded goalie!

Congrats Belli. I think the Turks got a HUGE break from the Chech keeper btw. Wow! That was a monumental blunder you don't see happenning often and especially from a worldclass keeper like Peter Cech.

Anyway, It's nice to see a team like Turkey also move into the last eight and have a few surprise countries advancing .

Regards,

Mourning

In case someone's still looking for a broadcast: apparently you can also watch the games via the official website. It's only 3 euros per game, and the only thing you need is Windows OS and a credit card...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4-1 was flattered, but I gladly take it . 2-1 would have been fairer. Anyway, I think when you look at it the French did get some chances, but they didn't convert them and they mostly weren't nearly as played as our major chances were.

Look at it... most of their chances were medium and long-range shots, compared with mostly short and medium range shots from ours from players coming out of the opposing players backs or moving to the side of "decoys", that was completely different from what France did. You might also argue that the goal we did allow was a bit of a defensive lapse as the player defending Henry should have and could have slided the ball out of his range. Good finish from Henry still btw.

I think the main difference though for us has been chemistry and converting opportunities. This is a team, while I thought France was sort of a team, but more a collection of individual talents.
    I still think France deserved 1-1 more than Holland 2-0. Henry had 2 great chances, and they probably should've gotten a penalty on one of those occasions (hands by Ooijer, twice even). 1-1 makes it a completely different game. Anyway I'm hoping to get a replay of this game in the semi-finals...

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    With regards to the Belgians and Anti-Dutch feelings... dunno what that is, they consider us arrogant, but are we that? Maybe. I think we are just confident or sometimes boasting a little bit because inside we might not be as confident as it seems. Then again the Belgians have a tendency to call us "arrogant" whenever we win a game, no matter what, so that's ok.

Maybe it's a sort of jealousness because their national team, sorry Rasky, hasn't done anything noteworthy the past decade (or more) and hasn't really produced superstar players or a style of play or game philosophy that has actually enriched the game of soccer in it's history.

Maybe it's because of some (adolescent) Dutch tourists that visit Antwerp in the weekends, I dunno, but this is definitely a one-way thing as Dutch people in general definitely don't dislike Belgians like they seem to (sometimes) dislike us, sometimes rightfully so btw.

Regards,

Mourning
    Sure, we're jealous now. I wish we'd just beaten the world and vice-world champions. I wish we'd have that kind of offensive talent. I wish we'd just qualify for a big tournament again, for starters.

As far as you can generalize, I think Dutch are more confident than Belgians, or at least they show it more. Sometimes they show it too much (and that's where we jump to the occasion and call them arrogant ), and sometimes we show it too few (the so called "little Belgians" attitude). With regards to the anti-Dutch feelings, most of us are just joking around with a bunch of clichés. I'm not (kidding). The reason I was annoyed in this particular case was because the commentator was talking (with that silly Dutch accent ) like they were destroying France. Which was not the case at all, in despite of the score. Well, guess it's normal that you get a little carried away in games like that...overall I like the Dutch commentary. It's a lot better than that on the Flemish commercial TV station.
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Man, how annoying is that Euro 2008 theme they show like a zillion times in between games?
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Wow, I just found out that there's a thread about Euro 2008!
    The game yesterday between Turkey - Czech Republik was awesome, I really feel sorry for the Czech fans. That was unbelievable how Turkey turned the game (with a little help from the Czech goalkeeper ).

However, tonight Germany will face Austria. I expect nothing else but a blowout by Germany!

We'll see..

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    Man, how annoying is that Euro 2008 theme they show like a zillion times in between games?
    I think that's ok. I HATE that other sort of theme with the two dolls in the host countries colours dancing though ... ugh .

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    I still think France deserved 1-1 more than Holland 2-0. Henry had 2 great chances, and they probably should've gotten a penalty on one of those occasions (hands by Ooijer, twice even). 1-1 makes it a completely different game. Anyway I'm hoping to get a replay of this game in the semi-finals...
    Deserved? Well.. IF we go along that line. We deserved to be the 1974 and 1978 World Champions, especially the 1978 game. In 1994 in the quarter finals of the World Cup we went from 0-2 to 2-2 and were clearly the better side in the last part of that match against Brasil, but Brasil got a free-kick and had the ball ricochet a little and bounce before our keeper and in our net the ball went, losing the game for us. Kluivert deserved to have his header go into the net in the semi-finals of the World Cup of 1998 in France against Brasil, which would have been the decider and send us to the final. We deserved to have won the 2000 semi-final against Italy handsdown, but somehow the penalties and chances we got didn't go in.

There's so many games we deserved to have won, but didn't always do in the end, because we got the chances but in the end had badluck or couldn't finish the chances we got.

I consider it a sort of justice, especially against the likes of Italy and France. Particularly Italy with their truthfully ugly soccer of 2006 and several other tournaments. Scared of taking the initiative against sides such as Albania and so on. Placing a huge focus on defense and preventing the other team from playing and disrupting play as much as possible. I don't think Italy deserved the World Championship in 2006 in the least. I think the Australians got royally screwed by the referee against Italy in I think the quarter finals when that Italian player made a blatant dive and got a penalty for it.

Looking at it more widely I'm VERY, VERY happy that most initiative aborting and "sitting back and letting the other teams play, while we just defend and make one or two counter attack during the whole game, score one goal and win the game"-teams are getting eliminated at a high rate in the first round.

About France getting 1-1. Sure, could have happenned, but didn't. Also maybe France should have had a player send-off in the first half for striking one of our players in the face. That's a redcard according to rules, so if applied strictly I dare say that the French wouldn't have had that penalty you think they deserved. I'm not sure about it, really. Ooijer held his hands near his body, not high or aimed towards the ball. To give a penalty for someone literally shooting on your hands (not pointing out) from 2-3 meters away is a bit weird, as was that rule that Panucci was not off-side in the first match against Italy.

To me he was off-side and there's a gap in rules concerning that that needs to be addressed, just like I think Ooijers 'hands' ball should not justify a penalty kick.

None the less looking at the whole game I think the victory against France was a deservedly one. Like I wrote before 4-1 was flattered, but certainly 2-1. Then again I am Dutch, so what do I know? .

I wonder how Turkey will fare against Croatia btw, very interesting. I expect the Germans to beat Austria tonight, not so sure about 4-0 or 4-1, but who knows?

Also will Sweden or Russia go through to the next round? Hard to tell. I'm still betting on Sweden, but the Russians do have a coach that has had a history of letting his teams perform better then they really are. Sweden will have to remain very, very concentrated for that match.

Regards,

Mourning
    Last edited by Mourning; 06-16-2008 at 02:02 PM.