Thread: Are we sure we want a PG?

Default Are we sure we want a PG?

Wouldn't it be better to look for a big men and develop him further this year...It is harder to bring a big men right away in the league than a PG in my opinion

a guy like Hibbert...perhaps he can be a new dominant low post player for example?! it maybe a risk...

I agree with the fact that you ll pick the best player available, regardless the position he plays !!! BUT why not try to shop Tinsley AGAIN...(his value can't get any lower), play Diener and sign a veteran FA PG or one with the second round pick...

with the East and West now...we can afford some risks i believe

are we looking for players with an immediate impact? I think we have a crappy year left and we should look for prospects we will be ready when JO finally leaves the club ( or bench)

This is my opinion off course...AGAIN it is common knowledge that you have the pick the best player available

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Are we sure we want a PG?

Hibbert is slow and mechanical the last thing a Jim O'Brien team needs . Going back for his senior season just served to lower his draft standing as he was exposed as nothing but a big lumbering center with no real offensive arsonal.

He is slow in ever aspect of the game and in todays fast paced game he is nothing but David Harrison minus the crazed moments and with even less game. Hardly worth a lottery pick , in fact I'll be surprised if hr goes in the first twenty picks.

yeah sure

but that was just an example
    perhaps there are better big men who slip down the draft
    the question is...do we need a guard more than anything else

Sports Logo

well the last time we had a team that went to the finals the pg was the last thing we added. The bigs do take longer to develop and a good pg can make a difference right away.

I have always thought you should start with the center position then add a pf then a sf then a sg then last but not least a pg. Once the pg gets there he makes everyone else's job easier and a good pg can make a not so good player look decent, so if you got good players to begin with he will make them even better.

I believe the Pacers' need for a big man/true center is greater than our need for a PG; and that there are better opportunities to acquire a decent PG via trade (e.g., from Memphis, Toronto) than acquire a big man through trade.

So, my feeling is, draft a big guy, trade for the PG.

The guy I'd like to draft is DeAndre Jordan, who may be there at #11. If he has already been taken, then it's trickier. At that point, I'd definitely consider trading down to take Kosta Koufos or Robin Lopez.

I agree that Roy Hibbert is probably not the guy.

In any event, I would not take D.J. Augustin, who is, unfortunately, the guy most associated with the Pacers at this point. I think he is just too small. Too big a risk at 5' 10" or 5' 11". Nice college player; backup NBA player in the making.

I would much rather have Russell Westbrook than Augustin, and I would consider taking Westbrook over a big man depending on Westbrook's workout results.

The other guy worth considering is Kevin Love, who will probably be gone by #11.

I'd have Love, Westbrook, Jordan, Koufos and Lopez in for workouts and go from there.

I agree

big men develop slower and seen the situation in the East and JO's contract we got time..

attendance will not rise because of DJ Augustin...they will rise if we get a decent team on the court...
    In my opinion there are far too many decent PG in the FA pool ... why draft one

besides we have a PG with one of the best handling in the league...nobody want him so play him...yeah he is injury prone but if you have a coach that likes to run you re probably going to have 3 or 4 guys that can take the guard position

Kevin Love would be great..and he is white so Bird will certainly pick him

I'm also thinking that going big is the way to go. I'm not sure Jordan would be the guy, Love will be long gone. Speights could be an option.

I would make a serious play to go after Steve Blake. Very solid threat from outside & an outstanding assist to turnover ratio.

Too many other holes to fill to limit the pick to PG. I will be perfectly fine if we pick the best player available who is not a SF. PG, a big or a SG. It would be a big mistake to pick a player who is not starter material at #11...because you know there will be very, very good players available at that pick.

Count me in for taking the best available player. My tie-breaker would go to PG, then C, then PF.

Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Count me in for taking the best available player. My tie-breaker would go to PG, then C, then PF.
    I'd generally agree with this, though I'd take C out of the mix entirely. I don't believe any of the big guys will be BPA at #11, and I think the bust factor on C's in general (and this class, in particular) is extraordinarily high.

In fact, I tend to like the team's approach to taking low risk shots at filling the 5. Harrison at 29, and Stanko in the 2nd round were moves that had (have) relatively low risk, but a surprising opportunity for a big return.

I would agree with Kravitz (shudder) that they cannot blow this pick, and it seems to me that going big would have the highest likelihood of blowing the pick.

I'm not sure we have to draft a PG, but we surely need to pick one up some other way if we don't. I really wish that we would go after Jarret Jack and Portland's pick, or go after Marcus Williams from NJ. Either way, I think that's a prime opportunity to inject talent into the club right away if there's any way to make that happen.

History is riddled with late-lottery big man busts. Guys like Westbrook and Augustin may not be starting material, but they are probably going to be solid players. Guys like Jordan may be good, but may just as easily be David Harrison.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Best player who is not a Small forward would be fine with me.

Getting a FA like Steve Blake is not going to happen if you are counting on using the MLE. Bird has already said management isn't going over the LT. It will be the same situation as last year. Presently the top 6 08-09 Pacer players are taking up a little over 60,000,000 of the salary or 90% of the 08-09 salary.

Now where this might change is if the Pacers could do a S&T for someone like Blake which then fills the PG need. The problem with this thought is the draft is b4 FA's can be signed thus leaving Bird with a dilemma as to what to do.

Or if the Pacers can make a trade or trades bringing back less in salary(acceptable by the CBA) where they have some salary to work with signing FA.

My feeling is drafting a player who can play perimeter D is the most important need the Pacers have with no regard to whether it is a PG, my preference, or a SG.

If the Pacers could make a trade for any of the following or a combination of PG, C, or SG before the draft, it would make things much easier on Bird picking a player in the draft. JMOAA

Depends on motive.

If we are set on trading for a PG, draft player team w/ PG wants and make it easy.

Drafting best player available could make trading much easier, especially if it's at SF.

My wishlist: draft biggest needs, which are perimeter defense and offensive penetration. Get Westbrook, and find a way to trade into late first round and nab Brandon Rush. Nothing would make me happier (except getting Rose, Bayless, and Love).

Quote Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
    Best player who is not a Small forward would be fine with me.
    Agree. I continue to be surprised that people don't recognize the SG problem.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't think that there is a huge talent gap between the guys we are looking at for #11. All things the same I'd take a guard.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I'm also thinking that going big is the way to go. I'm not sure Jordan would be the guy, Love will be long gone. Speights could be an option.

I would make a serious play to go after Steve Blake. Very solid threat from outside & an outstanding assist to turnover ratio.

I always laugh when Steve Blake's name comes up. Someone on a board somewhere made the comment a couple of years ago, when Denver got Steve Blake from Milwauke, he was a waste... slow white boy with no talent. He had a fine year with Denver, and is a solid PG. A pass 1st type PG.

Speights keeps interesting me as a pick. He's not 11th pick material, but a solid 17-24 pick. If Bird could acquire a pick in that range or decides to trade down, I'd like to see Speights a Pacer.