64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rather have Jack

18 28.13%
  • Rather have Augustin

39 60.94%
  • I really don't like either guy

7 10.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which PG would you rather have: J.Jack or DJ Augustin?

Default Which PG would you rather have: J.Jack or DJ Augustin?

Jack's available. Hype aside, I expect Augustin to be available at #11. So basically we can have either of these guys if we want them.

Forget, for a moment, what we'd have to give up to get Jack (not an insignificant point, I know). In a vacuum, which one would you prefer to have on the team for the next 4 years?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Which PG would you rather have: J.Jack or DJ Augustin?

Well, I think I'd rather have Augustin, just because of his quickness and outside shooting. Jack is ok, and likely much better defensively, so I wouldn't mind nabbing him in a trade. If Portland's pick is included, count me in for Jack. Otherwise, let's go with Super Travis Best!

Jack is starting to look like a career backup at thsi point. He hasn't improved much in 3 years and lost his starting spot to Steve Blake last year. Id take my chances on DJ
    basketbawful.com- The best of the worst of professional basketball. And there's a lot of it.

I'd gladly take either!!!! In this all things being equal scenario, I'd take Augustin. True, he might have certain defensive challenges. However, he's a true PG, good citizen, and has serious offensive game.

Now, if we get Jack and add additional draft picks in some deal, then it has to be revisited.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I'm just worried that Augustin is this year's Acie Law.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't see why we can't get both...I think I would like Travis Denier much better as a third option.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In all fairness though. Acie Law didn't get the opportunity to play much last year. From what I have read the Hawks were giving him time to develop. Now that may have changed with them getting Mike Bibby at the trading deadline, but that was what I understood.

I'm still very confident Acie Law will be a starter in this league. The Hawks were surprisingly good this year and decided to go with a veteran point guard for their playoff push. Nothing wrong with that, and it's not a knock to be playing behind Bibby at this point in his career. Bibby is still pretty solid.

I would take Jack over Augustin because 1) Jack has size at 6'3" and 200lbs, 2) Jack is a good defender...something that hurts us real bad and 3) Jack is a known quantity and we desperately need to fill that position with something reliable. He's already proven he can be a legit starter with sufficient minutes. He's probably not starting because he's not a great perimeter shooter, but we already have Dunleavy and Granger hoisting.

...but I would not complain if we drafted Augustin or any other player at this point. We need help!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I would not complain if we drafted Augustin or any other player at this point. We need help!
    It's your lucky day then. I Guaransheed that we'll either draft Augustin or, if not him, another player.

Enjoy your time at PD!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I feel the same way, though obviously he is more of a true PG where Law has to be expected to be a score first point right now. But both seem like guys who are moved up just by what teams need.

However I voted for DJ because of his extremely high character traits.

BUT...if you could draft Love at 11 and get Jack in a trade not sending out Granger then I'd be fine with that. I'd also have interest in Arthur instead, again with Jack coming in.

And then a guy like Arthur might be had with a later pick, either on the trade down or trade into with Dun, Ike, or Shawne types of deals.

don't like either, but i'd prefer jack because it'd mean we weren't wasting a pick on augustin.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Isn't Jack like 27 now? I know he wasn't that young when he came into the league. I just haven't really seen him get better yet.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

That's really my fear aswell.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Isn't Jack like 27 now? I know he wasn't that young when he came into the league. I just haven't really seen him get better yet.
    He's only 24 actually.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd like Augustin, he's more of a true point guard who can also score the ball if need be.

Also with Acie Law I'd like to add I think he'll get better with time. Playing behind Mike Bibby doesn't guarantee you much time. I wonder if the Hawks are willing to trade him?
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Jack's very solid - knows how to run a team, good defender, etc.

But you were a lottery team last year - you need to take a shot at the guy with the bigger upside. Augustin could be a bust. He could also find his way into an all-star game in about 3 years.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I prefer Jack. 1) He's a known commodity where Augustin isn't. 2) I don't want a small PG, and Augustin is. 3) I want a PG that can play D, and Jack can.

If I had my druthers, it would be Jack in a trade that brought Channing Frye as well. Someone back, possibly in another thread, mentioned a Dun for Jack, Frye, and Webster trade. I'd be willing to throw in the 11th pick for their 33 and 36 picks to sweeten the deal for Portland.

Reasoning is: you get an experienced PG in Jack, a BIG in Frye, and with 3 second round picks you have a chance of picking up Walker(SG), Hudson(PG), George Hill(PG), Plaisted(PF), Weaver(SG), etc. Even a Euro for Bird!
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 06-01-2008 at 08:22 AM.

It's your lucky day then. I Guaransheed that we'll either draft Augustin or, if not him, another player.

And...we just traded the pick for cash considerations.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm really warming up to DJ...so much so that I don't think he'll be there by 11.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I'm really warming up to DJ...so much so that I don't think he'll be there by 11.

That's the best news I've heard all day, but then the day has just begun. I'm afraid Bird will take him if he's available, so I'm hoping another team picks him before Bird has the chanz.

I want Westbrook, but the chanz of him being available is slim n next to none. D folks, the Pacers "need perimeter D!" I tired of having no one in the bc that can stop penetration. I don't want to suffer another season w/o it.

I might shade towards a fourth option: I'm fine with either. I think Augustin has the potential to be a truer PG, but Jack has already shown that he can at least be a solid player in the NBA.

If forced to make a choice, I think I might lean slightly towards Augustin.

Someone's gonna have to explain how Augistin's more of a pure PG than Jack. Jack's about as much of a pure PG as you can get. In fact, Augustin MIGHT be able to be an off-guard scorer in the NBA, something Jack can't do.

Jack's always played PG. He's never been a SG, or even played one on TV.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I haven't seen JJ play since his Ga Tech days, but as I recall, he
    doesn't shoot it all that consistently. The Pacers will surround
    him with enough perimeter shooters to make up for that to a
    degree. But how are his playmaking instincts/skills these days ?

If they're more than adequate, the combo of his obvious physicality
    and defensive prowess and the possibility of getting a draft pick in
    a deal with PORT would push me in his direction.

Do the Pacers have anyone other than DG that PORT would have
    more than a feeble, passing interest in ?

I'll take Jack, easily.

He is still young and I would love to have him on this team. I think he can be a solid starter in this league. Not an all star but still a good player.

I think Augistin can be about the same but what I like about Jack, besides he can come and play right now, is his size and defense. That would be a big plus for us. We already have Travis and we don't need another small point guard.