Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Picks for sale?

Default Draft Picks for sale?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=8870

Draft Picks for Sale:
    While there is plenty of talent in the 2008, after the top two picks there's less "star power" than in recent years. It's still early in the process (the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp has just began and teams are still about a week away from scheduled individual workouts) but a number of teams are open to trading up, down or out of the draft altogether.

Whether the Chicago Bulls take Derrick Rose or Michael Beasley, the Miami HEAT are expected to take whoever drops to second. It gets murkier after two . . .

For instance the Minnesota Timberwolves may have interest in players like Brook Lopez, Kevin Love and O.J. Mayo. If they were able to move down to five, they'd all but be guaranteed a crack at one of the three.
    Of course the Memphis Grizzlies would have to really fall in love with a player to pay the price to move up a couple of slots. The difference in talent 3-12 may not be great enough to make the climb. While a higher pick provides greater flexibility, it also comes with a corresponding higher price tag in player salary.

The Los Angeles Clippers may be drafting a little too low in the draft to get a guard like Jerryd Bayless or Mayo. They're too high at seven to take D.J. Augustin or Russell Westbrook. A scorer like Eric Gordon could fit the bill but there's still a decent chance L.A. keeps Corey Maggette and the hole at point guard is pretty significant (considering Shaun Livingston's uncertain future). They may very well keep their pick at seven, but moving up or down has its appeal.

Rumors surround teams like the New Jersey Nets, Indiana Pacers, Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards that their picks are available.

Ultimately, until teams get a chance to work with players individually, mocking this early is at best a sketchy venture.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Draft Picks for sale?

Aren't all draft picks for sale?

It's just a matter of whether one can match the price, right?

Yeah they're all for sale, I'm just curious about what kind of value we could get in return for #11?
    Last edited by pwee31; 05-30-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah they're all for sale, I'm just curious about what kind of value we got get in return for #11?
    The 11th pick could be a very tradeable, but only if a team drafting behind us has a player they are keying in on & that player slips to 11. The only way to know this is to wait for the draft on 06/20/2008.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we trade our draft pick for another average player, I'm going to be irate.

I don't think we're trading out of the first round. Trade up or down and into again, perhaps, but not out. Larry knows that this fanbase needs an exciting draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If we trade our draft pick for another average player, I'm going to be irate.
    So you would rather keep the pick and maybe get an average player - or maybe get a complete bust.

I would rather trade the pick and be assured of getting an average player.

(of course we need to define average) But if we can trade the pick for someone who would be a starter - I would do it in a second

I guess it depends on how you feel about the team as it is currently assembled UB. Would you rather have Shane Battier today or Rudy Gay tomorrow? I'm not sure, but I think rexnom is right in so far as the fan base needs a new name to get excited about - something a Corey Maggette, for example, won't do.

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Aren't all draft picks for sale?

It's just a matter of whether one can match the price, right?
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here who got his MBA from the University of Ted Dibiase School of Business. Money, money, money, money, money...Mwwahahahhahaha.

I could see Larry trading back a few spots to like 17 or something if he was targetting a guy that wouldn't be a "good value" selection at 11 (although I hate that mentality...just take who you want when it's your turn). If he could score a second 2nd Rounder by moving back a few spots and still getting "his guy" then it would be a pretty good move (definitely from a PR standpoint anyway) to have three young, new, exciting and recently amateur players to bring to camp in the fall.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    So you would rather keep the pick and maybe get an average player - or maybe get a complete bust.

I would rather trade the pick and be assured of getting an average player.

(of course we need to define average) But if we can trade the pick for someone who would be a starter - I would do it in a second
    We're in a position right now where we need to start taking shots at a chance of getting a star player or two. Sure, we could bust. But we already have plenty of average talent. Too much, actually. That's our main problem right now.

And don't tell me we can't possibly nab a future star player at #11. In fact, I'd wager that at least one player in the second round this year will end up being a very good NBA player/borderline star.

We should be buying picks in this draft, not selling ours.

Buying with what? Doubloons and buffalo nickels?
    Last edited by JayRedd; 05-30-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Buying with what? Doubloons and buffalo nickels?
    That's all Phoneix has been getting recently isn't it?

Unfortunantly, the best trading asset the team has is Foster. He should be able to get them a mid to late 1st round pick.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here who got his MBA from the University of Ted Dibiase School of Business. Money, money, money, money, money...Mwwahahahhahaha.

I could see Larry trading back a few spots to like 17 or something if he was targetting a guy that wouldn't be a "good value" selection at 11 (although I hate that mentality...just take who you want when it's your turn). If he could score a second 2nd Rounder by moving back a few spots and still getting "his guy" then it would be a pretty good move (definitely from a PR standpoint anyway) to have three young, new, exciting and recently amateur players to bring to camp in the fall.
    I agree....hopefully there is some team in the 14th to 20th spot that is looking to move up. If Augustin really is the guy that would actually fit a need for us ( or drafting Brandon Rush )...I wouldn't be so bothered about drafting them at the 14th to 20th spots IF we traded down while getting back something in return ( additional early 2nd round picks, some other prospect that we could use or even moving someone that we don't want ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    That's all Phoneix has been getting recently isn't it?
    Just because Phoenix was willing to sell their picks for cheap over the last 2 seasons...doesn't mean that they have set the "market price" for unwanted draft picks.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I swear to God, every time I see this thread, this pops in my head:

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Porter
    Love for sale
    appetizing young love for sale
    love thats fresh and still unspoiled
    love thats only slightly soiled
    love for sale

who will buy
    who would like to sample my supply
    who's prepared to pay the price
    for a trip to paradise
    love for sale
    It's 1:08 am...had to get that out of my system.

The Sonic's have 2 first & 4 second round picks. If we're going to aquire additional picks... Seattle's the place to look.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    The Sonic's have 2 first & 4 second round picks. If we're going to aquire additional picks... Seattle's the place to look.
    Unfortunately, we have nothing of value that the Sonics would be interested in.

I really think that if were to make any type of move....either trade down...or try to acquire an additional pick between the 15 to 30 spot...it will be with some Playoff team looking for some additional piece like Foster or JONeal....or some team that is looking to get an Expiring like Marquis while dumping some longer contract player on us.

We might not have a player the Sonics would want but there are other ways to make trades.

We have pick 41, they have 46, 50 & 56. We deal 41 for 46 & 50?

The Sonics are moving right?

A little cash for a 2nd rounder helps pay the moving vans.

streets ahead

We might not have a player the Sonics would want but there are other ways to make trades.

we could probably do something as simple as Quis for Watson, #32. they'd cut $6mil off their payroll for 09-10 and get rid of one of their PGs as it seems like they may be drafting bayless at #4.

and if we were looking to move down in the draft and seattle wanted another lotto pick this season, we could trade #11 for #24 and the spurs 09 pick or something along those lines. i dunno it's late....
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo

Although I would want some additional 2nd round picks.....I don't think that there is anything past the mid 30s that is worth taking. If anything....I would hope that we try for some of those early 30 picks where we would have a chance at Bill Walker or any projected late 1st rounders that slip...not trade down past the 41 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Just because Phoenix was willing to sell their picks for cheap over the last 2 seasons...doesn't mean that they have set the "market price" for unwanted draft picks.
    I guess I should have used a smiley face. Obviously teams aren't going to give their picks away as easily as the Suns had been. As I said, Jeff Foster is the price I expect the Pacers to have to pay to "buy" another pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    We're in a position right now where we need to start taking shots at a chance of getting a star player or two. Sure, we could bust. But we already have plenty of average talent. Too much, actually. That's our main problem right now.

And don't tell me we can't possibly nab a future star player at #11. In fact, I'd wager that at least one player in the second round this year will end up being a very good NBA player/borderline star.

We should be buying picks in this draft, not selling ours.
    Can't really argue with you....good point

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    we could probably do something as simple as Quis for Watson, #32. they'd cut $6mil off their payroll for 09-10 and get rid of one of their PGs as it seems like they may be drafting bayless at #4.

and if we were looking to move down in the draft and seattle wanted another lotto pick this season, we could trade #11 for #24 and the spurs 09 pick or something along those lines. i dunno it's late....
    Will Bayless be a starter immediately? Cause Watson was starting in Seattle this year and he was pretty good statwise towards the end - I picked him up in a fantasy lead and the guy carried me. They probably don't need both Ridnour and Watson, but I'm not sure Earl would be the one they trade.

I like the Seattle (for now) trade idea, especially with Daniels heading out, but I think the Sonics may push for a better deal.

Banned

Its an interesting offseason in this respect:

Larry will be defining the team for the next 3-5 years by either continuing to build around JO or by trading him for the beginning of a new Pacer era.

If he chooses to stay with O'Neal (which likely will be the smart move based on his diminshed value due to injury concerns); than I think you look to fill the PG vacancy with a veteran and not someone who potentially can be as good as Jameer Nelson in 3-4 years.

That would lead you to think he might be trying to package #11 with someone like Daniels and Diogu to acquire a Calderon or Hinrich.

I'd be completely on board with anything like that.

Or he decides to start a new Pacer era.........ships JO off to the highest bidder and rebuilds through the draft. In that scenario , he likely can't move up high enough in the draft to get anything of subsequence, but maybe getting an Augustine and a Jordan and cross your fingers.

Of the two alternatives, I'm pretty sure they will be exhausting their efforts on trying to get Hinrich or Calderon.

I just get the feeling that neither player will get moved at all however with the Bulls taking Beasley and Toronto deciding to move Ford instead.

Would Daniels, Diogu and #11 be too much of a price to pay for TJ ??

JO/Foster
    Shawne/Murphy
    Danny
    Dunleavy/Rush
    Ford/Tinsley/Diener

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Plax80 View Post
    Would Daniels, Diogu and #11 be too much of a price to pay for TJ ??
    that's a joke, right?
    This is the darkest timeline.