Thread: Pacers begin draft pick sales campaign

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Pacers begin draft pick sales campaign

Here's the latest article from the Star. Now my title is cynical I suppose, but I know many of us do suspect that the Star is often the "warm up act" when the Pacers plan to do something.

They discuss a player or potential deal, which can then be followed by the "official" company line saying that no deals are working, no draft choice has been made or that they plan to go with someone else, and so on.

In this case it's a feel-good on Augustine. Just DJ saying he thinks he's ready to lead a team paired with what is in my opinion a ridiculous "debate" between taking DJ (will be there at 11) and Westbrook (shocking if he falls to 11).

To me it seems to have a strong slant toward DJ being the better pure PG option and that the Pacers need a new PG (duh, but still). So a bunch of casual fans read this and form this opinion of DJ that he'd be a great option for the Pacers, paving the way for TPTB to get a positive response when they actually take him...after weeks of talking about bigs, bringing in all sorts of players and other various run around.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...ORTS/805300439

Of course there are those of you who think there is zero connection between what the Pacers are planning and what the Star/Pacers.com write about. Whatever gets you through the day I guess.

Default Re: Pacers begin draft pick sales campaign

Westbrook sounds like a better defender - so I say we draft him.

I don't have a problem with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just DJ saying he thinks he's ready to lead a team paired with what is in my opinion a ridiculous "debate" between taking DJ (will be there at 11) and Westbrook (shocking if he falls to 11).
    He'll be there. Too many other guys are climbing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say we just draft both of them with the 11th pick. Sorry Sacramento, you have to forfeit your pick.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Oh how I wish there were a way to nab both Westbrook and Augustin! Wishful thinking, but hey, maybe Larry will think it over!!!!!

Anthem, I think Westbrook hitting camps/workouts that showcase athletic ability will actually result in Westbrook climbing.

Again, I'm admitting to being a little cynical here. It just feels like a warm up piece for taking DJ. Could just be a harmless article that happens to take this POV.

I mean even if you buy 100% that you must go PG and so ignore all other players, and you buy that these 2 guys will be on the board at 11, the article still seems to take the DJ is the better choice angle without going into it too much other than DJ's own opinion of himself and W'brook.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Here's the latest article from the Star. Now my title is cynical I suppose, but I know many of us do suspect that the Star is often the "warm up act" when the Pacers plan to do something.
    maybe it's true for some things, but it doesn't seem to apply to the draft. the pacer picks in past years generally turn out to be different from media predictions. think shawne, danny, david, fred...

with all the attention on pg prospects this year, watch us draft a big man instead

i think this is just a filler article on a slow news day as morway mentions in his blog, pacers will probably pick best player available at #11

I really hope we draft whomever TBTP sees developing into
    the best player 3-4 years down the road at any spot other
    than SF. If that's a G, then great. If a big, that's fine too.
    But I doubt LB has the wherewithal to do so.

Drafting someone for immediate need or to patch a hole we
    had this past season is a pretty dubious way to go.

To add to the Augustin pitch...

Pacers, Kings interested in Augustin.... (haha that rhymes!)

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...n_dj_augustin/

HoopsWorld -
    The Pacers, Kings, and Blazers are among the teams reportedly interested in Texas point guard D.J. Augustin as the 2008 NBA Draft approaches, according to HoopsWorld.

"Anything can happen on draft night. I try not to look at or listen to the projections," Augustin said from Pre-Draft Camp in Orlando. "I just try to stay focused on what I have to do in front of these teams, and that's what matters."

The 76ers and Bucks are also mildly interested in the guard, as well.

"They've shown some interest (Milwaukee). My agent said they are pretty much looking at me a little bit. I'm not sure who I'm going to work out with, but I'm just going to go in and work hard," Augustin added.

In RealGM.com's latest mock draft, Chris Reina has Augustin going to Indiana with the eleventh overall pick

I really like Westbrook. I just don't see a guy as athletic and hoop-smart as him being worse than first guard off the bench. And he can fall back on the defense if his whole penetrating guard thing fails, which it won't IMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Westbrook is undoubtedly a better defender, but Augustin is undoubtedly much more of a pure point guard.

I'm kind of leaning more towards DJ, but I wouldn't mind having Westbrook either.

Personally, I would rather have Chalmers than either of them (though not at #11, unless his value skyrockets before the draft).

It just really depends on what you want.

Where's the Love?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Hmm, a Hoopsworld blurb. Maybe this is the beginning of the DISINFORMATION campaign instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Where's the Love?
    Going Top 5, from the latest rumblings in the rumor mill.

Anthem, I think Westbrook hitting camps/workouts that showcase athletic ability will actually result in Westbrook climbing.

Again, I'm admitting to being a little cynical here. It just feels like a warm up piece for taking DJ. Could just be a harmless article that happens to take this POV.

I mean even if you buy 100% that you must go PG and so ignore all other players, and you buy that these 2 guys will be on the board at 11, the article still seems to take the DJ is the better choice angle without going into it too much other than DJ's own opinion of himself and W'brook.
    What is there to warm up? This isn't exactly brain surgery. The Pacers need a PG solution for the future. It's perplexing that it's taken this long for them to get to this point. It's perplexing they signed Tinsley to the contract he has now.

The only thing which will need warming up is Larry Bird's resignation papers should they not use this draft (trade or draft pick) to address their PG need.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obviously, by the looks of my avatar, I wouldn't be too upset if we picked Augustin. I'm just hoping all of this talk of wanting to be like his mentors Nash and Paul happens to come true. As long as he can dish out the dimes, push the tempo, and make some shots I'd be happy with him.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    What is there to warm up? This isn't exactly brain surgery. The Pacers need a PG solution for the future. It's perplexing that it's taken this long for them to get to this point. It's perplexing they signed Tinsley to the contract he has now.

The only thing which will need warming up is Larry Bird's resignation papers should they not use this draft (trade or draft pick) to address their PG need.

The only thing is we have no idea how the Pacers plan on addressing their needs. For all we know, they may think it's better to get a PG through a trade and draft a big or someone who can guard the perimeter. There is plenty to begin hyping up. They need every chance to get the fans excited as possible. And I can't blame them.

And as it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I honestly can't remember the last time the Star correctly guessed our pick. I remember them saying Kareem Rush (Fred Jones), and I think Jameer Nelson (can't remember who we picked). I know Granger was a surprise only because he slipped, and nobody expected Shawne (or Stanko). I'm not saying this isn't a pre-hype article, but history says it won't indicate our pick.

Personally I'm hoping we trade for a point guard, unless we can find a way to trade up for Bayless or Rose (which I wouldn't be shocked, honestly, on Bayless).

I'm also hoping we draft anyone from UCLA, as long as that person isn't Collison (is he still in the draft?).
    Last edited by imawhat; 05-30-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Westbrook is undoubtedly a better defender, but Augustin is undoubtedly much more of a pure point guard.

I'm kind of leaning more towards DJ, but I wouldn't mind having Westbrook either.

Personally, I would rather have Chalmers than either of them (though not at #11, unless his value skyrockets before the draft).

It just really depends on what you want.
    Have to agree with you shade. I really have a hard time drafting a guy who is not a true pg to fix our pg problems. I like their comparison of how smaller pg's get abused by Billups who abuses almost all pg's reguardless of their size. Sort of a slanted point of view in my mind.

I figure as long as DJ can learn to stay in front of his man then he will already be a better option defensively or offensively than what we have.

I believe the Pacers will select Kosta Koufos w/ the 11th pick.

I'm squarely on the side of using the draft to solve the PG issue, but that to me means use the pick in a trade or draft someone. If they could get it figured out without using the pick, I'm all for that too. I'd like to see them get Ramon Sessions from Milwaukee. In the system the Pacers play he would work out well, and it would give him the time to really hone in his understanding of how to run a team as the Pacers build toward being competitive again.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Where's the Love?
    All you need is Love.

I would do anything for Love (but I won't do that).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I believe the Pacers will select Kosta Koufos w/ the 11th pick.
    I would point my car into the direction of the nearest BCF and hit the accelerator. It is my greatest fear that we will somehow manage to draft that stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    Obviously, by the looks of my avatar, I wouldn't be too upset if we picked Augustin. I'm just hoping all of this talk of wanting to be like his mentors Nash and Paul happens to come true. As long as he can dish out the dimes, push the tempo, and make some shots I'd be happy with him.
    I mean, I modeled my game and my hair so much after Steve Nash that my pick-up hoop buddies started calling me "Nash" but that doesn't mean I'd put up 18-10 with 50-40-80%s in the NBA...