Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 136

Thread: JO on Sporting News Radio....

  1. #1

    Default JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Anyone hear the interview today? I was driving home from work tonight and heard just a piece of JO not being keen on rebuilding. Just was curious if anyone could post a summary?

  2. #2

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    http://radio.sportingnews.com/ i think you can hear the interview here....if you have a sporting news pass or whatever..
    Last edited by rock747; 05-29-2008 at 09:29 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    You gotta be a member to hear this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Who cares if JO doesn't want to rebuild. His opinion count for little with me. He doesn't play a full season, makes way too much money for his contribution, and wants to comment on what the team should be doing. I have a message for JO. Get your butt on the court and show me something besides injury. In the meantime, keep your mouth shut and be grateful you have a long term contract, jack. Geez!

  5. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who cares if JO doesn't want to rebuild. His opinion count for little with me. He doesn't play a full season, makes way too much money for his contribution, and wants to comment on what the team should be doing. I have a message for JO. Get your butt on the court and show me something besides injury. In the meantime, keep your mouth shut and be grateful you have a long term contract, jack. Geez!
    Could we see a transcript or hear the interview before we start the lynch mob?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  6. #6

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone hear the interview today? I was driving home from work tonight and heard just a piece of JO not being keen on rebuilding. Just was curious if anyone could post a summary?
    It's not the 1st time JO has said that. If he had kept his mouth shut last season, he could be in NJ. Who knows we might have gotten their draft pick too. Then options would be unbelievable as what we could do this draft and the off season. I have always felt JO opened his mouth concerning his health just so NJ wouldn't do the trade. He didn't want to go to another rebuilding team but to the Lakers.

  7. #7

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    NJ knew full well what JO's status was. Everyone in the league knew and knows that JO is injury prone.

    Except now when he says he is 100% this summer I really believe him.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  8. #8
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,426
    Mood

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    He might not be keen on rebuilding, but is he so miffed at the idea that he would opt out? I doubt that.

  9. #9

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NJ knew full well what JO's status was. Everyone in the league knew and knows that JO is injury prone.

    Except now when he says he is 100% this summer I really believe him.

    Let's hope some other GM's believe it too!

  10. #10

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Other than drain the team's cap in recent years, what exactly has
    J.O. done to warrant any consideration of his opinion about
    what TBTP should or shouldn't do ?

  11. #11

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    What the hell is wrong with Jermaine saying he doesn't want to rebuild?

    It's an interview. He is suppose to give his opinion. I don't blame him for not wanting to re build, if I was him I wouldn't either.

    He has said before that he doesn't want to re build and if the Pacers are going to they might as well trade him to a team is ready to contend now. That is a fine idea too btw.

    Don't get me wrong I don't like how he has been injured all the time and the lack of team success and I wouldn't mind dealing Jermaine in the right deal but all that doesn't mean he can't voice his opinion.

  12. #12
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    JO has an Energizer Bunny mouth.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  13. #13
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't get me wrong I don't like how he has been injured all the time and the lack of team success and I wouldn't mind dealing Jermaine in the right deal but all that doesn't mean he can't voice his opinion.
    Especially since there's an awful lot of possible ways to say that. There's a big difference between "I'm not really excited about rebuilding, and it may be better for the Pacers to trade me" than "Screw that, they'll trade me or I'll sit out." People seem to be assuming the latter, but the former statement is a pretty tame, pretty considerate statement of fact (plus it's in line with what he's said for years).

    Has anybody actually listened to this yet?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  14. #14

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    It's always been my thought that you can sit on the bench in a suit and wave a towel during a rebuilding effort just as vociferously as you can for a contender.

    ...or does JO actually plan on playing this year?

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's always been my thought that you can sit on the bench in a suit and wave a towel during a rebuilding effort just as vociferously as you can for a contender.

    ...or does JO actually plan on playing this year?
    Bravo!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,388

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    He always said that if he couldn't make Indiana a contender that he and the team should part ways.

  17. #17
    Never Give Up aero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,343
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    JO acts like he is an all-star and leader....dont you have to play a full season and be out there earning all that money...ha what a waste.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

  18. #18
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could we see a transcript or hear the interview before we start the lynch mob?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Especially since there's an awful lot of possible ways to say that. There's a big difference between "I'm not really excited about rebuilding, and it may be better for the Pacers to trade me" than "Screw that, they'll trade me or I'll sit out." People seem to be assuming the latter, but the former statement is a pretty tame, pretty considerate statement of fact (plus it's in line with what he's said for years).

    Has anybody actually listened to this yet?
    But if we listen to it, it might interfere with what we want to say.

  19. #19

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He always said that if he couldn't make Indiana a contender that he and the team should part ways.
    I liked that line the first time I heard it from him, but then I started thinking --- that's essentially a nice way of saying, "If we're not winning, send me to a winning team."

    As someone else mentioned, I'm OK with him saying he doesn't want to rebuild. I wouldn't be OK if he decided to take it a step forward and sit out (while healthy) in protest. I don't see him doing that.

  20. #20
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,626

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Of course he doesn't want to rebuild.
    I don't want to rebuild.
    I'm sure Larry doesn't want to rebuild.

    But, it's not like we're one player away from a championship.

    I'm not even sure we're one player away from mediocrity.

    What choice do we have?

    Oh, wait, we can't even trade to rebuild, because our "desirable" players are all over paid and always injured.


    /getting an early start on "dark-sider of the year" for 2008-2009...
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  21. #21
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,190

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    The Pacers are still about 2 years away from being a playoff caliber team. JO and his massive
    salary, along with Murphy are killing any chance before then of being competitive.
    Now if JO actually played a whole season at his best then you might have some hope.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  22. #22

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    We should rebuild and should trade JO. I don't know if either of those things will happen, what JO said or if he said something said something along those lines why he is wrong or a jerk.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has said before that he doesn't want to re build and if the Pacers are going to they might as well trade him to a team is ready to contend now. That is a fine idea too btw.
    The thing is, what contending team would remain a contending team once they match the salaries needed to make a trade for him? Even if a team does have enough of a roster remaining, what about when he goes down with another (or repeated) injury?

    I think it is time for O'Neal to start grasping the idea that he is not going to get a ring, regardless of where is playing. Sorry to say that, but I believe it to be true.

  24. #24
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,513

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    Right now, JO saying he doesn't want to rebuild means nothing more to me that if Anthony Mason said he didn't want to rebuild the Knicks in 1997. Neither player has the influence right now to say something like that. JO is probably more or less the most overpaid player in the NBA, he should be collecting his checks, buying nice suits to wear on the bench, and keeping his mouth shut.

  25. #25
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO on Sporting News Radio....

    i think JO has always been very politically correct when making statements and talking to the media. he is fairly well spoken and has integrity when talking with and about the organization. most of the time what he says gets taken completely out of context. here is another example.

    the guy is 29. if we rebuild that means 3-4 years of bad players with expiring contracts, young guys who make a ton of mistakes playing significant minutes, a lot of losing, and too much wear on older guys taking on the extra burden. he would be 33 and in the last year or two of his career at the point where we would be good again. his skill level would have declined to the point where hes just a role player. JO is right because his timetable and the organization's timetable, if they choose to rebuild, are complete opposite. don't jump all over him because he's right.

    JO has been loyal to this organization. he tried to get back last year way too early from the injury he had, which is a HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake. i had the exact same surgery he had 6 months ago and couldn't consider doing much more than taking a couple of jump shots at most. he re-aggravated the injury and it puts his timetable for being 100% to over the normal 18 months for full recovery. they can play in 6 typically, but they are playing at 85%. he has had the extra time to heal now and i have a feeling this is a bad time to trade JO, because his value will go up tremendously between now and the end of his contract. we can still get 2009 draft picks before the trade deadline, so why not see how he plays with us. he can make us a playoff team and maybe its us that can make a trade at the deadline to complement JO. just trying to make some rational sense. worst case scenario he gets injured again and he is a huge expiring contract for our rebuilding process.

Similar Threads

  1. Dallas Morning News: Carlisle, Mavs reach four year deal
    By idioteque in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
  2. JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
  3. Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
  4. Walsh News from the Sunday NY Daily News
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •