Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

  1. #1
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...e=NBAHeadlines

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboHicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thursday, May 29, 2008
    Reports: Collins returning to Bulls as head coach


    ESPN.com news services

    The Chicago Bulls' next head coach will reportedly be a familiar face.


    Numerous media outlets reported Thursday that the Bulls will hire Doug Collins as their new head coach.


    Earlier this month, Collins told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that he had "no interest" in coaching again.


    Collins, currently an NBA analyst with TNT, last coached in 2002 with the Washington Wizards. He also coached the Detroit Pistons and the Bulls, compiling a 332-228 record. He has a career 15-23 record in the postseason.


    Collins was fired by the Bulls in 1989, despite leading the team to the Eastern Conference finals. He was replaced by Phil Jackson, who went on to coach the team to six NBA titles.


    Expected to contend in the Eastern Conference after reaching the second round of the playoffs last season, Chicago plummeted, losing 49 games. Coach Scott Skiles got fired in December, and interim coach Jim Boylan lost his job after the season finale. But suddenly, luck seems to be smiling on the Bulls.


    Chicago will pick first overall in the 2008 draft after winning the draft lottery.


    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  2. #2
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Well, at least Grace doesn't have to renege on not being a Bulls fan if they'd hired Eric Snow.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  3. #3
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    O...kay...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    interesting hire..not very exciting one though.

  5. #5
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    I consider this an excellent - albeit unexpected - hire for the Bulls. Collins is a player's coach and should be able to get the most out of his young core (and I'm sure the #1 pick was a huge incentive as well).

    Although I'm going to miss him on TNT.

  6. #6
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collins is a player's coach
    Funny, I just heard Colin Cowherd saying the exact opposite (Eddie Johnson was on, that's why I was listening to that asshat.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    I was hoping he would stay on TNT. He is one of favorites to listen to during games.

  8. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,834

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    TNT better hire John Barry to replace Collins

    I'm shocked Doug was hired, I am shocked he decided to go back into coaching and I'm shocked the Bulls hired him. he's apretty good coach, but burns out really quickly.

  9. #9
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,693

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I consider this an excellent - albeit unexpected - hire for the Bulls. Collins is a player's coach and should be able to get the most out of his young core (and I'm sure the #1 pick was a huge incentive as well).

    Although I'm going to miss him on TNT.
    Where are you getting that from? Every single report I've ever read was he was ridden out of town by both the Bulls and the Wiz because the players grew tired of him in a hurry.

    I'd be interested to hear an opposite view point on this because I always thought he was a decent coach but not a spectacular one.

  10. #10
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Phenominal Xs and Os guy, but from what I know about him, he frequently causes tension in his locker rooms by essentially having class systems for his players (depending on their productivity)... he also is very public in his criticism of his players.

    If basketball was more like football, where you could take time to draw up individual plays, Collins would probably win the championship with the Bulls... but he's not really regarded as a great overall gameplan type of coach from what I know about him...

  11. #11
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    They must be offering him a heck of a lot of money to coach that bunch of dopes. (And by dopes I mean less than intelligent people, not pot heads.)

    When he gets fired and goes back to commentating I think it will be safe to assume that when he says "Back when I was coaching the Bulls" he won't mean this stint.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am shocked he decided to go back into coaching .
    The paycheck coming from the Bulls is a lot bigger than the one from TNT.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    It must've took a boat load of Green Backs to convince him to come back to a team that once gave him the boot. I don't think my pride could have allowed me to do it no matter how much they were willing to pay me.

    But I wish Doug Collins well...just not against my boyz.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It must've took a boat load of Green Backs to convince him to come back to a team that once gave him the boot. I don't think my pride could have allowed me to do it no matter how much they were willing to pay me.
    I never thought Don Nelson would ever be willing to work for the Warriors again after what happened in 1994, but look what happened.

    And why would Orlando hire back Brian Hill? Who knows, but they did it.

  15. #15
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Everyone keeps hire the good on-air personalties. Dammit.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  16. #16
    Member themayhem87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    This man couldn't win with Jordan...whats he gonna do when his best player is ben gordon?

  17. #17
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Quote Originally Posted by themayhem87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This man couldn't win with Jordan...whats he gonna do when his best player is ben gordon?
    Make a few million dollars and an ulcer, then go back to announcing next year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Being the lifelong Bulls hater that I am I love this move. This is one less person in our division to worry about.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    http://www.realgm.com/

    This is strange. The main story says that Paxson is going to hire Collins. Then if you look at the links to the left it says that Paxson said no agreement has been reached yet. So whats the deal here?

    I don't get why Collins is there guy though. How different/better is he from Scott Skiles?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    i love the hire. unlike some, i can't stand doug collins the broadcaster and will be very pleased not hear him again. i say good riddance doug.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Is Collins like Billy Martin with the Yankees? Every time you turned around he was getting fired, then re-hired.

    And yeah - Jordan pretty much wanted him gone the first time. My recollection is he (or his agent) talked to ownership about it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  22. #22
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get why Collins is there guy though. How different/better is he from Scott Skiles?
    It's different because Doug has more hair than Scott does. It's "better" because Doug will say "Whatever you say, Royal Highness" to his bosses.

  23. #23
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...726&type=story

    Collins, Reinsdorf agree coaching search continues ... minus Collins

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

    CHICAGO -- Doug Collins isn't coming back to the Chicago Bulls after all, citing a mutual agreement with Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf that the team will continue its coaching search without him.

    "I just knew over the last few days that Jerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have those struggles," Collins told the Chicago Tribune for a story posted on the newspaper's Web site. "I love him. And I didn't want him feeling that kind of angst.

    "This is absolutely mutual," Collins told the Tribune. "When this first came about, there was a tremendous amount of excitement about this possibility. And I'm losing that. The feeling now is more, 'Should I do this?' Once I got to that point, it meant no. I always make decisions yes is yes, no is no and maybe is no.

    "Jerry knows me well enough to know the only way I could do this is if I was totally engaged. And I just couldn't do that now."

    Reinsdorf told the Tribune: "As time went on, he came to realize that there are good coaches out there and we will be able to get somebody and that it's more important for us to maintain our friendship. I didn't push him to this. And I'm disappointed because I won't be reunited with Doug. But in my heart, I know he made the right decision."

    On May 29, ESPN confirmed reports from Chicago-area media outlets that the Bulls intended to announce that Collins would leave his TV career to take over as the Bulls' head coach. The Bulls denied the reports that day, saying "contrary to some reports that are currently out there, we have not reached an agreement."

    Collins, working for TNT on the NBA playoffs that night, said: "I have not been offered. I have not accepted." The Bulls have been without a head coach for seven weeks since firing interim coach Jim Boylan.

  24. #24
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Between this and Stephen A. reporting that Detroit was hiring Michael Curry, I think it's safe to say we should never believe anything the media says.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

    Collins to Chicago is good news for the rest of the Central Div. He is in the same strata as JOB, OK for awhile if you are happy being mediocre but not the answer.

Similar Threads

  1. Kirk Hinrich or draft a point guard
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
  2. Reports: Bulls to hire Collins as new head coach [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
  3. 03/22/2008 Game Thread 70: Pacers at Bulls
    By BostonConnection in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 12:44 AM
  4. Griz' Swift for Nets' Collins
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
  5. 01/23/2008 Game Thread 43: Pacers at Bulls
    By BostonConnection in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •