Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bball's Indy 500 thread: Photos plus Rants and Raves

Default Bball's Indy 500 thread: Photos plus Rants and Raves

Maybe we were a little later than normal to arrive but the crowd seemed larger than the past few years. We had a longer line than normal to get into the gate but it moved fairly fast. I'm pretty sure we were inside the track before 11AM. It was closer to 10AM than the 9:30AM I was shooting for to be at the airport parking lot (a slow McDonalds is to blame for that). I left home a little after 8AM.

The airport shuttle TO the track was great (as always).... the shuttle FROM the track SUCKED (compared to past years). For whatever reason, they ran the buses north and onto 16th St to depart the track which put the buses into the melee of people all trying to leave the track. In past years the buses headed south to leave so that they weren't driving into the belly of the beast. Not sure whose bright idea this change was. It slowed the bus shuttle down considerably. ...And probably wasn't helped by what seemed to be a larger crowd anyway.

It also would appear that the shuttle service won't be happening again next year. Apparently it has to do with federal regulations and public transit and some rule changes... They got a waiver for this year but they were saying this year is the end of the service because of this. (The Star reported this year was actually in jeopardy itself but they were able to get the waiver).

RANT: Can someone PLEASE fix/upgrade the sound system at the track? It would be nice if all the 150.00 seats could HEAR the PA system. I'm not talking while the cars are running... I'm talking about at any point in the day. I know IMS upgraded to the QSC speakers a few years back for fidelity BUT they ultimately under-speced the system. There's not enough speakers for the coverage they are asking/need of the system. I cannot believe the original design is what they settled on. Someone had to compromise on the number of enclosures for some reason (it is not the fault of the enclosures themselves).

At this point, screw the fidelity... Just get some working 70V paging horns covering the Paddock Penthouse. They're relatively inexpensive and you can hear those over the din of the crowd and you can also hear those when the cars are running (as long as they are not on the front stretch). ....Although by all means if Tony George wants to look under his couch cushions for some change I'm sure he could find enough to put in some more of the QSC boxes to cover the Paddock Penthouse.

RAVE: Considering the size of the crowd, the Speedway does a great job accommodating everyone. There are SEVERAL food stands and merch stands throughout the grounds. You don't have to walk far to find a booth selling food, drinks, merch, programs, or even scanner frequencies.

-

There's always drama at the Speedway. For those that follow the leadup to the race throughout the month you really get a good feeling for the subplots that are flowing. Seeing that Panther Racing car (Meira) leading late in the race is one of those things. They are not a super team like Andretti-Green, Penske, or Ganassi... Meira qualified well and raced it even better. Had his team gotten him out of the pits a tick quicker on the final stop then he might've been drinking milk today. ...2nd place isn't bad though.

Sarah Fisher had a roller coaster of a month. From putting this team together and driving her own car... to having her main sponsor stiff her and not come thru with the check. So she put a LOT into that car. ...even got some $$$ help from fans... got some late sponsors to fill the gap... But still needed a good finish (for a payday as well as for PR to increase exposure), plus needed to keep the wheels on the car and not wreck it. Unfortunately, she had a miscue of her own that set her back somewhat and then she got taken out (wrecked) by an accident that she was just a victim of. It's no wonder she broke into tears during her TV interview after she'd been knocked out of the race.

There were other stories out there... Schecter's good run (altho mechanical failure ended his solid run).

Will we ever hear the end of Briscoe and Danica? I'm sure the princess will keep the feud alive with the help of a Danica friendly media. The wreck was Briscoe's fault (IMHO) and I don't blame her for being mad. I'm just getting a little tired of the Danica fest. Danica, Danica, Danica. She could stand a little humility... she could learn a little from Sarah in that regard. As I told someone at the track today before we knew exactly what had happened (after we saw her get punted in pit lane)- "It won't matter what the replay shows, nothing is ever Danica's fault". Danica, Danica, Danica....

Tony Kanan needs to rethink that green paint scheme and maybe listen to all the whispers of green being bad luck for a race car. Maybe 7-11 (sponsor) can be convinced to switch their colors to blue and white... or red and white... anything but that unlucky green. He's snakebit at Indy. Maybe the "Andretti Luck" is wearing off on him.

Dixon had a great month. Solid all month. Pole position. Fast in practice. Always in contention on race day. I didn't see any flaws by the crew in the pits either. It all just fell into place for him. He'd been in contention plenty of times before and been wrecked (or penalized) and cost him his chance for the trophy. This month was simply his.

Photos:
    Will Power's Team Goes to Work in the Pits:

Contenders Castroneves, Meira, and Schecter pit:

Tony Kanan and Dan Wheldon pit:

Oriel Servia's Team Goes to Work:

Milka Duno:

Danica Patrick:

Kanan's car ends it day not like he had hoped:

Sarah Fisher's day also ends wrong:

Alex Lloyd's wrecked car comes to a stop in pit lane:

A Safety worker assists Lloyd after his wreck:

Scott Dixon pulls down pit lane for the final time... and as the 2008 Indy winner:

A crowd view looking north up Georgetown just after Dixon swigged the milk:
    Last edited by Bball; 05-26-2008 at 01:42 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bball's Indy 500 thread: Photos plus Rants and Raves

Nice pics, I left my camera in the car.

I'm happy I got a sun burn this year instead of soaken wet clothes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danica will never do wrong. I'm really tired of hearing about her to be honest. She already won a race, can't we move on? Call me when she wins another one some fifty races from now if she keeps up her current pace.

ďWE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKINGĒ- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Thanks for the pics.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

It was a really nice day for Scott Dixon. Look at his run last year, and then the whole month this year. That is how you win at Indy -- if at all.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Cool pics. This year's race was the first one I missed in quite a long time. Well, I was in Europe during the last one, but before that I think I had been to every race since I was 5 or 6.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Vitor Meira's car was assciate sponsored by the Pacers.

Last edited by duke dynamite; 05-26-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Warning: Casual fans probably won't want to read the long comments below

Some more comments now that I've had time to sleep...

There's a lot of buzz and good press about "Indy is back" and talking about the "reunification" and "return of all the good teams". Really, the cream of the crop had been back a long time. True, there were some good drivers coming thru Champ Car but it's not like the IRL were 'football replacement players'. Had the media ever figured out that the cream of the crop was already at Indy, what glimmers of coverage Champ Car received would've dimmed to the point this reunification could've happened even sooner. IMHO.

What 'reunification' does more than anything is keep the media better focused on a sport it doesn't understand all that much anyway... as well as keep casual fans better informed without the confusion. Secondly, it does provide more drivers to help fill out the field to the point that we have more cars and drivers than spots available in the race. Whether any of the former Champ Car teams rise to the level of current Ganassi, Penske, or AGR powerhouses is yet to be seen. Obviously, they will provide a vehicle for more up and coming drivers to enter the sport and either help carry a team to that level... or maybe the up and coming driver eventually ends up in one of the first class rides.

Seating:
    The Speedway needs to think out of the box regarding the lower seats at pit row entrance and for the first few pit boxes. Those just aren't good seats and I'm not sure we'll ever see them filled again without some creativity. It doesn't look good to have those lower rows be empty. It's not like there aren't butts that could fill the seats and just a few feet a way the infield was packed just beside these same stands. Maybe those lower rows need painted blue (or some other neutral color) and opened up to general admission ticket holders... first come first served. I have no idea what those seats regularly cost but if nothing else, lower the prices to general admission prices for those seats. Lower seats along pit row aren't necessarily bad. You do get some view of the track and a great view of pit action. Unfortunately, at that end of the pit lane these pit boxes aren't usually filled with contending drivers so there's not a lot of excitement (as far as pit strategy and urgency) when they pit.

I assume there is a big screen that is viewable from these seats. If not, then that needs addressed 'yesterday' or sooner. There is also the possibility of just doing away with those seats entirely and redesigning the stands to make that lower area into some type of concessions, merch, or other area. Heck, knock out the first 15 or so rows, block it up, put big long windows in it, and put a sit down restaurant in there or some type of lower level hospitality suite.

Month of May:
    Some pundits have talked about cutting back even more on the "month of May" for cost savings for teams (and probably a few other reasons). I'm not against tweaking it but I don't think cutting back is the right answer. The cutbacks they have already made IMHO have proven to have been mistakes due to the unpredictable nature of Indiana weather.

For one thing, I'd make opening day "Opening Day" again. Not just Rookie Orientation. Rookie Orientation used to happen BEFORE opening day (I think it might've even been in April). When the month of May kicks off for the Indy 500, the veterans need to take to the track. Whether they want to run ROP from 9-11:30AM and then open the track to veterans from noon to 2PM before letting the ROP finish the day or some other similar schedule, that is what I think should happen. Or let the day open with the veterans at 10AM to noon then go to ROP to finish the day. That kills two birds with one stone because it allows the month to kick off with a bigger debut (stars taking the track) and also allows an extra day (or partial day) of practice to help alleviate the pinch that the nearly inevitable practice day washout later in the week is going to bring.

Besides the fact that I think Opening Day should be a bigger deal than just seeing rookies earn their stripes, it's also a hedge against Indiana weather and trying to use more of the time that the track is open and available to allow teams valuable practice time in case we end up with a wet month (more on this to follow).

DST has changed some things at the track. "Happy Hour" used to be 5PM-6PM when the shadows were on a significant portion of the track and also when the sun had lowered enough to cool things a little. This was usually when the day's top speed was recorded in practice. Also, it was a good time for pole runs and final qualifying runs on bump day. But now that period is 6PM-7PM (via the clock due to DST)... That's AFTER the track has closed. I'd consider changing the schedule to start and end an hour later for practice and qualifying to match the position of the sun in the sky... not the hands on the clock.

I don't have a problem overall with the new qualifying format which fills 11 spots in the field each day and allows for bumping and multiple pole challenges. OTOH, Indiana weather is a factor that's reared its ugly head a few times already. What I'd do is leave the rules alone for the first 11 spots but make Day 1 spots 12-22 provisional. That way, if the next day is rained out you've got those spots filled with the provisional times for the previous day. If it rains on Day 1, I'd simply make Day 2 have the same rules as Day 1 except you'd be filling positions 1-22 instead of 1-11.

Something needs to be done to see that a situation like this year doesn't happen again. Opening day was rookies only and turned out to be a great day but no veterans got any practice time. Then a large portion of the week's practice time was washed out. Then Sunday's qualifying round gets washed out. Then the following week, Mon and Tuesday are gorgeous days... but the track was closed. Then the rest of the week is cold and rainy and practice was greatly abbreviated.

I understand that Indycar wants to limit practice to save the teams money. That's all well and good if the scheduled practice days aren't rained out (or a significant portion aren't rained out). IMHO they need to look at having that 2nd week 'dead' Mon-Tuesday scheduled as 'optional' days that they can use if X amount of hours were lost the previous week. They could also utilize weather forecasts and open those days if it looks like later in the week might be rained out. They could always put some time limits (or tire limits) on the cars so that if the rain doesn't come they can't be on the track later in the week if they've used up their alloted time.

The hitch in all of that is to open on days that were originally scheduled to be dark, you need the support staff at the track (from safety crews to security...etc).

Personally, I'd just have two full weeks of practice and maybe consider limiting the cars to certain allocated practice times (in total) as a way to control costs to the teams. I'm not sure wasting nice days with the track closed and then losing practice days to rain is doing the teams any financial favors either.

Also, part of the allure of the Indy 500, and the emotion that goes with it, is the time and effort teams have to put into it. They aren't just rolling in on Thursday, practicing Friday, qualifying Saturday, and running it on Sunday.

In a perfect world, the current schedule is fine for practice time... but weather in Indy is never perfect and the schedule just doesn't allow for that reality.

-
    Rulebook:
    Brian Barnhart recently commented that the IRL would like to have more than 1 engine manufacturer BUT only one chassis manufacturer. Maybe for the IRL but I'd like to see Indy treated a little differently than the rest of the season. I'd prefer to see innovation brought back to the field. I'd like to see the rules so that a 'normal' IRL chassis and engine can run the Indy 500 but that also the rules allow some variation.

IOW- An Indy only car could be developed by a team that could run Indy but not be legal at the other tracks. The rules could still be narrow enough that the differences wouldn't have to be too great, but if someone thinks they can find a chassis improvement and make a one-off chassis for Indy better than the series supplier, I think that is great for the sport.

-
    Speeds:
    I think most fans know that speeds are down not due to the quality of the drivers or the quality of the technology but instead due to safety concerns and rules put in place due to these concerns. I'm sure there is, or has been, some who thought the lack of record breaking speeds was something to do with the split though.

This is a tough one. I think the genie was let out of the bottle several years ago and the quest for speed went on too far and too fast unchecked. I have to admit, it doesn't seem right that over 10 years ago you had cars pushing 240MPH and now you're seeing cars hit 'only' 226. It doesn't exactly feel 'right'. A couple of years ago cars did push over the 230MPH boundary and that did seem more Indy-like, but that was quickly squashed for safety reasons.

I'm not sure what the answer is here. A car moving at 220 is going to be safer than a car moving at 240 involved in the same type of crash. I'm not sure there is an answer to equalize the safety of the drivers (and spectators) to make that 240MPH crash equivalent to 220. But seeing the speeds held back each year... and even reduced from one year to the next... is tough to swallow for a fan like me who was always enthralled with seeing the leaps in speed from one year to the next.

-
    Safety:
    The speedway has led the way in finding ways to improve safety in racing. There have been setbacks but every crash has been used as an opportunity to learn ways to minimize their impact as much as possible.

On that note though I will paraphrase Chris Economaki (the dean of racing journalism). He said that some people claim fans of racing go to see death and destruction. Chris' reply to that was that people go to see racing not to see death but to see people challenge and cheat death. He says that is the allure of racing as a sport.

-Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 05-26-2008 at 03:34 PM.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I am just glad that Danica threw another temper tandrem. IndyCar should pimp her some more.

Great stuff, Bball. Thanks for the photos and comments.

It was a fun day yesterday. I too was a victim of the slow shuttle return to the airport.

Helio looks for a new dancing partner:

And the winner of the ugliest helmet goes to:

The 'other' Andretti... John:

NOT on Danica's Christmas card list this year:

Alternate title: Name the driver not likely to be on the same team next year
    Last edited by Bball; 05-26-2008 at 03:36 PM.

------

-John Wooden

I certainly see how the "Danica can do no wrong" mentality can rub people the wrong way and get very annoying at times. But we have to remember that the IRL is a series that is desperate for more viewers. And right now, they certainly think that Danica is the best avenue to attract more attention to the sport, and I think that they are probably right.

In 05 and 06, the race just missed having 2 outcomes that would have generated a huge media storm.

In 05 Danica had an awesome chance at winning the race, leading on lap 189. I've read before that fuel miscalculation cost her to let up a little bit, which therefore caused her to lose the race. If a woman would have won the Indy 500 on her first try (or any try for that matter), then that would have generated an all out frenzy over the race. That is certainly what the IRL would like to see.

In 06, 19 year old Marco Andretti basically had the race won, but was caught sleeping at the very very end and outwitted by Hornish. Imagine if a 19 year old had won the Indy 500 on his first try, passing his father late in the race in the process? Further adding to the story would have been the fact that he carried the name of a legendary racing family. Him breaking the Andretti curse would have been HUGE.

Marco or Danica winning would be great for IRL. It's obvious that's what a lot of people want, and it's not hard to see why. The sport definitely wants more interest, and either of those events would certainly spark it.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marco or Danica winning would be great for IRL.
    It would also be great for a number of people around here because if that Danica ever the wins the 500 I'll

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I certainly see how the "Danica can do no wrong" mentality can rub people the wrong way and get very annoying at times. But we have to remember that the IRL is a series that is desperate for more viewers. And right now, they certainly think that Danica is the best avenue to attract more attention to the sport, and I think that they are probably right.

In 05 and 06, the race just missed having 2 outcomes that would have generated a huge media storm.

In 05 Danica had an awesome chance at winning the race, leading on lap 189. I've read before that fuel miscalculation cost her to let up a little bit, which therefore caused her to lose the race. If a woman would have won the Indy 500 on her first try (or any try for that matter), then that would have generated an all out frenzy over the race. That is certainly what the IRL would like to see.

In 06, 19 year old Marco Andretti basically had the race won, but was caught sleeping at the very very end and outwitted by Hornish. Imagine if a 19 year old had won the Indy 500 on his first try, passing his father late in the race in the process? Further adding to the story would have been the fact that he carried the name of a legendary racing family. Him breaking the Andretti curse would have been HUGE.

Marco or Danica winning would be great for IRL. It's obvious that's what a lot of people want, and it's not hard to see why. The sport definitely wants more interest, and either of those events would certainly spark it.
    I agree that Danica (or Marco) winning the 500 would be big. But in the "Danica can do no wrong" file you've just pulled out one of her recent talking points. There was almost no chance she was winning that 05 race. She only got to the front thanks to a yellow that she caused and then used to her advantage getting her off in pit sequence. It's not fans thinking that Danica can do no wrong, it's Danica thinking Danica can do no wrong that is beginning to rub people the wrong way (which is not to say she didn't have a right to be miffed at Briscoe).

FWIW Bobby Rahal countered her contention there was 2 gals left and said that the options were to conserve fuel or pit and finish 13th or run out and also finish 13th (due to the position of their nearest competitors).

I don't think it much mattered...2 gals or not. Danica hadn't been able to run with the leaders all day and suddenly finding herself in the front after her competitors made their final stops didn't mean she'd passed a host of fast cars to get there. She was a sitting duck. Had she used that mystery 2 gals and ran full out I don't know how she would've been any more competitive than she already had been.

The strategy letting her get the lead was great... but I think it went to her head a bit. Her chance for winning would've been either some long yellows letting her win under caution (or only having to block for a lap or two) or the skies opening up and raining. She wasn't going to win that '05 race by racing. Having a little more fuel might've made her a little harder to pass but there was enough laps that it would've just been denying the inevitable.

She did well that race and showed that she was for real. The team played the strategy card that they were handed and netted some fine PR and a chance some yellows could fall her way and help her win. Holding on for 4th is nothing to sneeze it. What I don't remember is if the race staying green might've benefited her with the other competitors needing to pit under green.

That scenario was close to playing out for Michael Andretti in 06. Michael was out of sequence on his pit stops and didn't need to stop again while everyone else did need to stop. Had the driver of Foyt's car that year (whose name escapes me right now) not hit the wall in the waning laps bringing out a yellow, Michael would've been tasting the milk in victory lane. That caution allowed the other contenders to pit under yellow and then be right behind Michael on the restart. Michael was fast enough to stay on the lead lap but the other cars were faster than Michael and he wasn't going to be able to hold them off. ...First to pass him was Marco. And a few laps later we were treated to an awesome finish with Hornish passing Marco at the stripe.

There's no way those cars pitting under green could've made up the distance they would've been behind Michael though.

Michael winning that race would've been a hit too altho I don't know that it would've had the lasting effect of a Marco win or a Danica win.

If anyone has the 06 highlight DVD they utilize different camera angles and audio than was used live for broadcast. Since it's after the fact they can choose the more appropriate views and sounds. Michael thought Marco had won the race and you hear him on his radio excitedly saying "Marco did it... he won didn't he". Then you hear the pit answering back in a dejected "Hornish P1... Marco P2".

-
    Danica is clearly capable of winning. She's fast enough to keep the car on the lead lap and she's good enough to keep the wheels on it. But she's not even the best driver on her team... let alone in the league. And listening to her on the scanner leaves you wondering how her engineer deals with her 'input'.

The problem with Danica Mania (IMHO) is when ABC/ESPN focuses so much on Danica that they start turning off other racing fans and/or missing other action on the track. Use the viewers and fans that Danica brings to promote the series and events... not just to talk about Danica. To some degree, I think ESPN did OK in that regard in the pre-race show. I didn't get all the race recorded so I've not watched the complete broadcast. But then I was at the race so I already know who won!

Speaking of broadcasts- One thing that I believe Indycar broadcasts have always been rather bad about is getting sponsors some gratuitous mentions on air. Example: Would it hurt to mention "the National Guard/Delphi car is having a good run" instead of just saying "Vitor Meira is having a good run" at points in the broadcast? These sponsors are the lifeblood of the sport and Indycars don't quite have the space for billboards like Nascars do in the first place. It can be nothing but a boost to identify the cars by their drivers AND their sponsors from time to time during a race.
    Last edited by Bball; 05-27-2008 at 12:18 AM.

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice job with the pics and comments bball. The reunification did bring my interest back this year. We actually kept the set on and watched the whole thing. I really enjoy good open wheel racing over stck cars because of the danger close racing has.

nice pics.

Great pics, and I LOVE this commentary and discussion. I hope this thread lives on for a while because I'm learning a lot from reading it!

Great job, Bball!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I would love to have a scanner and listen to all that stuff! It was my first race, and I didn't feel like renting one for the day. At some point, I will probably buy one so that I have it for any other races I attend. After the experience I had at this race, it is a virtual LOCK that I will be attending races with quite a bit of frequency. This may be a stupid question, but does the scanner work with every race? I would think that it is like a regular scanner, and as long as you have the list of frequencies, you are good to go....Can you give me an idea on what ones are good, and how much they cost? You really seem to be knowledgeable about IRL and racing in general (I loved the commentary and photos in your thread!) so I would appreciate any advice you could give.
    Pretty much your assumption about scanners is spot on. I bought a Radio Shack Race Scanner which basically comes with freqs for several racing series already assigned. Of course they are from last season so they need some tweaking. The one I bought was the (I think) Pro 137 model. In any case, it's the 179.00 unit. It doesn't come with headphones or muffs so you'll have to add your own.

I'd intended to pick up a set but Ratty Ol Shack was out of the headsets and the line at the track (where they were selling them) was moving too slow and I didn't find another stand until AFTER the race.

Last year I picked up a Proscan 100 race scanner at Big Lots for 30.00. This new one has more features and seems to have better reception as well.

The Proscan 100 comes with ear buds and a set of 26dB muffs so I just used those with the new scanner.

The problem with that setup is if you're like me and just want to check in on the scanner at different times and not use it the whole race, the stupid little ear buds and separate muffs are more trouble than just slapping headphones on and off. Plus you can more easily hand headphones to your buddies so they can listen in sometimes.

You're NOT going to hear the earbuds very well at all without the muffs. ...And it seemed like everytime I went to put the earbuds back in the wires were tangled and I had to untangle them.

I did a little research and didn't really see anything negative about the Radio Shack model that I purchased. I downloaded a freq list off the net the night before the race and punched in the new freqs and made sure the cars had the right numbers and names for easy identification. Then at the race I bought an official freq sheet for 5.00 at a merch stand. It was almost 100% identical to the free one I'd gotten the night before. Still, it added a little confidence and patience to the process of just putting it on a certain driver's channel and waiting for communications. It's not like there's constant chatter so if you want to listen in to your favorite driver the channel might be quiet for several laps. If you aren't SURE you're on the right frequency then you might bail and miss something.

Besides using mine to listen to the PA and the radio broadcast at different times I dialed in Vitor when he was leading and while he was trying to chase Dixon down. I used it to listen to Wheldon's communications when he started falling back. I listened to Danica for a while too. Once it was clear Dixon wasn't going to be caught, I switched to his channel for the final laps.

If you want to hear constant communications then listening in on Milka's radio is good for that. Her team was constantly encouraging her and giving her information every lap. They did the same last year.

I'll probably go to the Kentucky Indycar race this August so I hope to take them there as well. If you liked the racing at Indy and not just the event itself, I recommend going to the Kentucky race. It is an EXCELLENT facility. I'm not sure there's a bad seat in the place. And you can see the whole track from your seat (no big screen TV needed). It's a D shaped oval (like is popular in Nascar... such as the Charlotte track) and it's a 1.5 mile track with high banking.

I've been to a few tracks in my day and this facility is right there with any of them. And if you know some tricks, getting in and out of the facility and onto the road home is a breeze.

There's a feud with the track owners and Nascar brewing because they can't get a Cup race. I'm not sure how long this facility can/will stay open without a Cup race.

I really like having two Indycar tracks so close so hopefully it stays on the schedule for a long while.

------

-John Wooden

Bball, Is that the track that Bruton Smith just purchased last week?

If it is, I'd imagine, they'll be getting a Nascar race before too long. He has a lot of pull in Nascar.

Gyron,
    That's the one. ...But I don't think technically the sale is complete. Here are some links to the soap opera:
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...4uI-gD90RS7AG0
    http://www.bleacherreport.com/articl...r-In-His-Deck-
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...notebook_N.htm

------

-John Wooden

I have to say, if you are trying to attract a business relationship, suing your potential customer(NASCAR) is one hell of a way to do it. I don't think I've ever been successful by threatening a customer with a lawsuit and being able to complete the sale.....

The other thing is, why wouldn't he have communicated with NASCAR BEFORE building the track and getting a commitment that way?

I know before I invest $150 Million, I would want some serious commitments that would ensure I stay in business....

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    I have to say, if you are trying to attract a business relationship, suing your potential customer(NASCAR) is one hell of a way to do it. I don't think I've ever been successful by threatening a customer with a lawsuit and being able to complete the sale.....

The other thing is, why wouldn't he have communicated with NASCAR BEFORE building the track and getting a commitment that way?

I know before I invest $150 Million, I would want some serious commitments that would ensure I stay in business....
    Gyron,
    I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to the story than just what we've talked about here and in the links. I think the track has been around for something like 10 years now. It's not like the lawsuit was their first step in this process. Also, I'm not sure Nascar 'officially' negotiates with anyone until they actually have a track to talk about... but that doesn't mean they don't give you some winks and nods and direction that would at least imply "Build it and they will come".

Of course even without that, if you do everything right and someone leapfrogs you and you feel they leveraged the playing field somehow in a way that was dirty, what is your recourse but to sue in the end?

And finally, if Bruton didn't think a Cup event belonged there, and could be brought there, why did he get involved in this?

I imagine Carroll's lawsuit was what he felt was a last ditch effort to either win a race on the schedule or more likely a settlement/judgment from Nascar. Either way securing some funding and in one scenario even leaving open the possibility of taking his settlement, licking his wounds, and closing or selling the track.

I think by the time Carroll filed the suit he knew there wasn't any other way to salvage things (with him still the owner).

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I'm sure you're right. I was just thinking damn, $150 Million, having to sell it at $half that, and still no event there.

And I'm sure Bruton will get one in there in 2010 if he's the official owner. The guy has an insane amount of pull in Nascar from what I've heard down here.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was part of the reason they guy couldn't get a race there, just so he could get the purchase at a bargin price.

I've also heard he's dirty like that when he see's something he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if he was part of the reason they guy couldn't get a race there, just so he could get the purchase at a bargin price.

I've also heard he's dirty like that when he see's something he wants.
    Yeah, I would lean that way too except the deal between Bruton and Carroll seems amicable which isn't something I'd expect if Bruton was leveraging this thing from the beginning. Didn't one of the articles even say that Carroll would be staying on in an upper level capacity? Or course maybe Carroll sees a "deal with the devil" as better than his other options...

In any case... it's an excellent venue for Indycar fans to catch a race on one of the 1.5mi D shaped ovals. It's not far fron Cincy or Louisville at all. It's EXTREMELY close to the Belterra Casino (if anyone visits there). For anyone who has only been to IMS, it's a different experience being able to see the whole track as well as watching the cars race on the high banks.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Thanks for the insight about scanners...Surely I will be able to get one before the next Indy 500!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER