Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new article at Pacers.com There’s a lot to be excited about in this year’s draft

Exclamation new article at Pacers.com There’s a lot to be excited about in this year’s draft

There’s a lot to be excited about in this year’s draft

Larry Bird | May 23, 2008

Now that the lottery’s over and we know we’re picking No. 11 in the first round, we’re moving into the final stages of our preparation for the draft on June 26. We’re excited about the players we expect to be available to us not only in the first round, but at No. 41 in the second round.

We haven’t had a pick this high in a long time, so we know we’re going to get somebody that can help us. Even though most of the media attention has been on the top two picks – and they’re both going to be great players – those of us inside the league know this is going to be a very deep draft.

In the top 12 to 15 picks, there are some players that probably will be a little better in our league than people think, such as a lot of athletic players that play multiple positions. Even in the 20s, there will be some players that can step in and help teams right away. And like I said, we’re confident we’ll be able to get a solid prospect in the second round.

We’ll head down to Orlando for the NBA’s pre-draft camp this week and start bringing in players for individual workouts early in June. We’ve always been private with those workouts but this year we’re going to open it up a little bit and let the media talk to the prospects we bring in. We want the fans to be more involved as we go along.

I’m not saying the 11th pick is going to be a savior, a guy who can put it all on his shoulders. But he will be another talented player to add to the strong core of young guys we already have. And who knows? Come draft night, we might even have a surprise or two in store for you.

hmmm ?? that part at the end has me VERY curious on possible surprises this year...

discuss !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Default Re: new article at Pacers.com There’s a lot to be excited about in this year’s draft

It's just Larry talking a big game. Prior examples include:

- "Yeah, we're going to get into the 2007 draft" (by trading for 39th pick),
    - "We're going to sign one of the best shooters in the league" (and by "league" we mean "association of teams too bad to make the Euroleague"),
    - "We're going to fix the point guard position... somebody people have heard of" (but only if they follow Marquette basketball).

I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

EDIT: Especially when it doesn't even sound like Larry. Somebody else wrote that for him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: new article at Pacers.com There’s a lot to be excited about in this year’s draft

I think this has been posted before. I know I've read it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    And who knows? Come draft night, we might even have a surprise or two in store for you.
    I don't know why he's trying to get people's hopes up. Nothing could ever top the masterpiece of getting Stanko.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Stanko, Rush and Diener in one offseason and people aren't satisfied?! Some people will never be pleased...

I won't get my hopes up for anything special.

All I ask is a player that makes sense and that we don't overvalue a James White type of player and think he is worth trading up for like we did.

Gotta Play Big

Lorbeck, Stanko, Nowitski... where are these guys when we need them?

i swear if we don't acquire a 2nd or maybe 3rd 1st round pick, or if we don't move up, i'm done with this team until bird is gone...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    EDIT: Especially when it doesn't even sound like Larry. Somebody else wrote that for him.
    Well, maybe they just changed the last line from "We's might even has a surprise or two in store for you-ins."

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    i swear if we don't acquire a 2nd or maybe 3rd 1st round pick, or if we don't move up, i'm done with this team until bird is gone...
    No kidding! Donnie handed Larry a bad team with no cap space, very little talent, no draft picks, and no real tradeable assets.

I have no idea how he hasn't turned us into a championship contender in 1 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    No kidding! Donnie handed Larry a bad team with no cap space, very little talent, no draft picks, and no real tradeable assets.

I have no idea how he hasn't turned us into a championship contender in 1 season.
    so i take it you aren't putting any blame on lb for the past 2-3 seasons? hmm

I think we're actually in store for an interesting offseason. I think Bird will try to put his stamp on this team right out the starting block!

In Bird we Trust.... until he becomes untrustworthy! haha

I wouldn't put it all on the draft.

Sure I want it to go well. But we don't have to move up for it to be a success. Hell about our only chances are probably the Knicks or Bucks pick. This would be if we had our eyes on Bayless or Gordon.

I'm willing to give Bird a fair shot because for one I have no other choice and two he deserves it. He hasn't been impressive but I also feel that he was in a difficult situation. Not just the off court problems with players but him and Donnie being here just wasn't good. I think having a coach and GM on the same page is enough but adding another GM to the mix makes it an even tougher situation. I sometimes wonder what all was Bird's doing and what would have been.

Just in case y'all forgot...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Copa-del-Rey/

Luis Fernandez (of DraftExpress.com)

Stanko Barac, 7-1, Center, Pamesa Valencia, 1986
    7 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.2 turnovers, 1.1 blocks, 51% FG, 30% 3P, 65% FT, 19 minutes

Not being very healthy, Barac could only play a couple of minutes that went completely unnoticed. It's a pity, because he had been delivering quite a consistent season, which actually comes as a bit of a surprise. Brought to Spain from the Balkans by Tau Vitoria, the Basque team always had the intention to loan him ever since signing him. The surprise came when Pamesa Valencia emerged as the final destination for the Croatian, as they are an upper-class team in the ACB League, not that far away from Tau itself.

Still, Barac soon worked his way into the team’s rotation by delivering solid outings. Although quite limited in terms of athleticism and still in need of gaining strength (which will greatly help him to become a more dangerous player in the low post), Barac is really big and he's making a productive living off of his sweet touch from mid-range distances, while he shows nice understanding of the game. He's a guy to closely follow his development in the future.

Banned

Stanko has Rookie of the Year locked up whenever he decides to come on over to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I wouldn't put it all on the draft.

Sure I want it to go well. But we don't have to move up for it to be a success. Hell about our only chances are probably the Knicks or Bucks pick. This would be if we had our eyes on Bayless or Gordon.

I'm willing to give Bird a fair shot because for one I have no other choice and two he deserves it. He hasn't been impressive but I also feel that he was in a difficult situation. Not just the off court problems with players but him and Donnie being here just wasn't good. I think having a coach and GM on the same page is enough but adding another GM to the mix makes it an even tougher situation. I sometimes wonder what all was Bird's doing and what would have been.
    no, i'm not putting it ALL on the draft. it's the fact that we need change and need it now, and if we stand still yet again when we have an opportunity to actually improve this team, i will have had it...

Sports Logo

Is that a recent picture of Stanko?

I hope not....that guy looks like he's 12 years old.

About Bird's Blog....I get the impression that he is going to try to make a move up until the draft....but given our limited resources ( trading asset's, etc ) I doubt that something of substance would happen....maybe we get an additional 2nd round pick that is slightly higher...other then that....not much is going to happen.
    Last edited by CableKC; 05-26-2008 at 03:36 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Bird really needs to stop trying to get people's hopes up on what might happen.

The only way he delivers on that line is if the speculation of "we had deals close to done in Feb., but they got put on the shelf until after the season" comes to pass.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is seems that the last time Larry delivered on a promise was when he said he'd stop coaching after three years...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Is that a recent picture of Stanko?

I hope not....that guy looks like he's 12 years old.
    Well it's from 2004, so Stanko has the manly physique of a 16 year old now...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    Well it's from 2004, so Stanko has the manly physique of a 16 year old now...
    Yeah, that "2004" in the background was the big giveaway.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

[QUOTE=Kemo;724162]
    In the top 12 to 15 picks, there are some players that probably will be a little better in our league than people think, such as a lot of athletic players that play multiple positions.[QUOTE]

This sounds like Bird.

In any case I wish he had something in place to rely on when he makes these kinds of comments about surprises.
    What I think and hope he means by that comment is that they are going move up or get an
    extra first rounder in the top 15 since he likes the top 15. I would assume he would pull the trigger if someone is there they like. What does he offer? I believe a 1st in some other year and an expiring contract is what it would take. Other than that it might mean a JO
    trade. DG is not being traded despite what some people desire. Dunleavy is a tradeable
    player and might be involved. I would seriously look at Joe Alexander in place of Dunleavy.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Come draft night, we might even have a surprise or two in store for you.
    I'm just guessing that he was referring to the discounts he would have arranged for all things JO and Tinsley in the Pacers Store...

That's silly. If we're looking to really improve the team in the short term, the draft isn't the way to do it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

WAWAWAWA!

All I hear is the voice of the Peanuts teacher.