Thread: INDY 500 POST-RACE THREAD

Default INDY 500 POST-RACE THREAD

We got home about a half hour ago...

I will post more later, probably tomorrow, and I will post a photo thread tomorrow sometime.

Suffice it to say that it was a GREAT time, and I highly recommend everyone with opportunity attend at least once in your life. Now that I have busted my cherry on going, I plan on attending again. I will also be looking for good seats to the Brickyard 400. The track is an awesome place, and it really WAS the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing"....

Anyone else who went, please post something about your experience! I would love to hear some stories! Dukie, I KNOW you went, so you are already under obligation to give us a recap!

More to follow from me....after I get some rest!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Default Re: INDY 500 POST-RACE THREAD

Looking forward to the pix, heywoode. glad it was a good race and a fine day for you. Did the parking work out for you? (I mean getting in. Getting out is always a nightmare.) I heard 30th street was backed up around 11:am, but you were there before all that.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I too look forward to the famous Woody Pics.

We left Huntington about 715am and got to 38th & 465 about 830am. We took 38th to Moller Rd., then to 30th and parked in the Coke lot because there was no way we were getting to that Lot 2 I was thinking about. In hindsight, we are very lucky that we didn't get there earlier and actually make it to Lot 2. Mostly buses, and so close, there was no way anyone got out without a couple hour wait.

We stayed in our seats for about 20 minutes after the race to let some of the crowd clear out. It worked out well, and we walked right up Georgetown Rd. with 100,000 other people. It was a little crowded, and we went a little out of our way to find the truck, but it was worth it because we got to see more of the drunk show in the Coke lot! We got back to the truck about an hour after the race had ended. Not too bad...

It took a little bit to get back out to 465 the same way we got in, but it was worth it, and it wasn't bad at all considering there were so many people. Everyone was nice, the cops knew what they were doing and had it under control, and we just talked and enjoyed winding down and checking out the sights of such a large crowd. Once we got out to 465, there was a slight bottleneck at the 65N split, but then smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Everyone is telling the truth when they say that the Coke lot is the easiest way in and out, and the walk wasn't that bad at all. Of course, we weren't dragging coolers, so we were fine. I took my whole camera bag. I cleaned it out of unnecessary weight, and only took the camera and three lenses (of which I only used two, and even then it was only for a few shots...the 17-85mm lens proved perfect for 95% of the shots because of our great seats!). I carried it with the strap across my shoulders and it wasn't any problem at all.

Traffic and parking were a non-issue, thanks to all the wise advice I got/read about!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER