Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rot in Hell Homeowners Associations

Default Rot in Hell Homeowners Associations

Sorry if Rot in Hell threads are passé (that's why I didn't capitalize it), but I need to vent.

So I come home tonight from a very hard, long week at work. As I'm driving into my neighborhood, I think, "you know, I need to mow this weekend." I stop at my mailbox, and I just barely notice a soggy piece of paper stuck under the flag. It's a notice from my HOA that I have 24 hours to mow my yard or they'll do it for me, and put a lien on my property of $500+.

Now, I'll admit, it was long. It was starting to seed (which is the first time I've seen it do in a year and a half living here.) I just mowed last week, but I mow it to 3" (on the advise from my landscaper neighbor) because it's so thick.

The note said that "there had been numerous complaints" about my yard, but on a hunch, I drove around and saw 7 other notices (and this was at 8pm). So I think it's safe to say that the state of lawns in our neighborhood was brought up at the board meeting last week, so someone just went around with a bunch of form letters. And while some of the lawns were on par with mine, some were much worse.

Now, if you really want to go around plastering notices threatening legal action, that's one thing. But to do it on the day before a 3-day weekend when it's been raining all day? That seems a bit ridiculous IMO. I'd hate to be one of the people who comes home Monday to have that waiting for them.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rot in Hell Homeowners Associations

Could be time for the btowncolt and twes landscaping service...know what I mean? Clear out a little deadwood?
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

24 hours? That's ridiculous. Sounds like a scam to me.

I heard they were going to start that crap in our neighborhood too.

Wouldn't that be funny if we are neighbors and didn't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    24 hours? That's ridiculous. Sounds like a scam to me.
    It says that the by-laws state that they don't even have to notify me, but they're doing it as a courtesy. IDK, maybe they're short up for funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    I heard they were going to start that crap in our neighborhood too.

Wouldn't that be funny if we are neighbors and didn't know it.
    Considering I've lived here a year and a half and only know the actual names of one of my neighbors (and first names at that), no, it wouldn't surprise me much. [/recluse]

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

It's decks that do it.

No front porches. No sidewalks.

That's why a subdivision is not a neighborhood.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    It says that the by-laws state that they don't even have to notify me, but they're doing it as a courtesy. IDK, maybe they're short up for funds.
    Anything for money, eh?

I'm up on the northeast side of the city. I've got a pretty significant commute every day and it get's to be a grind getting home in daylight to keep the damn yard mowed. We also have an irrigation system so of course this doesn't help. Peak season we're mowing every 4 days it seems.

Honestly I can understand why there may be situations where notices go out, but a homeowners association taking that bold a move would really really **** me off.

2 people working...long commutes trying to make it work to stay in school districts etc. Of course gas prices through the freaking roof. Juggling rain storms, work requirements, daylight, kids...

That's just all we need is one more person pushing us. I keep mine pretty cut but I can appreciate the frustration.

Makes me want to live on an acreage.
    Last edited by Twes; 05-23-2008 at 09:52 PM.

I was gonna post something but decided it might not be taken so well.

Just, uh, life is good.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For 18 years I have been forced to live in a house where my lawnmowers, and the attendant gasoline, oil, paint, paint thinners, etc. are stored in an attached garage which also houses my furnace and waterheater...and their requisite pilot lights.

Did I mention the 4 lbs. of black powder I keep in my Hunters den above the garage??
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Land of the free...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Land of the free...

Only if you're here illegally.

ducking.........running
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

When I worked in foreclosures, I always hated dealing with HOA liens.

I've always lived in a middle of a ton of corn. The way most nieghborhoods are so snitchy and prissy has always struck me as ridiculous. If you want to grow your lawn out, grow your damn lawn out, I say.

But then I also understnad other people have different priorities... with ultra-short and -kept grass being one of them.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

You'd think a 'reminder' notice to everyone about the rules of the HMA and responsibilities everyone has might've been a nicer first notice/warning....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

I've never understood the legal thinking that allows these organizations their quasi-governmental power.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I've never understood the legal thinking that allows these organizations their quasi-governmental power.
    I think it's kind of like high school. You (or your parents) basically sign your rights away when you agree to attend that school or move in to that neighborhood.

I really hate all that crap, though. And because of what I want to do for a living I will probably always live in a city, although I'd love nothing more than to live out in the country and do whatever the hell I want with my home without and neighbors or anything bothering me about it. Part of the American dream is being able to own your own land, the last thing anyone wants to go with that is Bob from accounting leaving snooty letters on your doorstep about mowing your lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    That's simple - when you agree to accept the covenents when you move into a neighborhood you've entered into a civil contract and agreed to allow the association to enforce that contract. You're breaking no laws by not fulfilling the terms of the contract - the local governing entity won't enforce issues beyond what their ordinances state. However it is a contract which is civily enforceable.

Pretty much like any other private contract you may enter into. If the guy who rents my ground doesn't pay me when the contract says he should, I can't go to the sheriff and get anything done - I have to bring a civil suit against him. The difference is that in this case you've also granted the HA enforcement authority. If I was kegboy and this really pissed me off I'd get with the other folks who received notices and write a letter to the HA about how they've overstepped their bounds and present it at the next meeting.

I'm assuming you know that already.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went a bit overboard in this case because they've heard about people cutting their grass less often because of the high price of gas and want to nip it in the bud. Still seems a bit overzealous.

BTW - lawns are going to seed extremely fast around here because of how cold it is. The grass is stressed and like any plant, it responds to stress by frantically tring to make more little plants.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

FYI, here's the email I sent to the board:

Subject: lawn care notices

Too whom it may concern,

I wish to take a moment to address the lawn care notices put out on Friday, May 23rd. Just to be clear, I do not wish to quibble with the action. And while the content was harsh, I understand the reasoning behind it. The last thing we want are overgrown lawns giving our community a black eye.

However, I do wish to address the timing. In the future, I would recommend not putting out 24-hour notices on a day when it is raining. Also, considering that it is a popular vacation weekend, I would hope you do not take action against home owners who may be out of town and will not even see their notice for a couple days.

Lastly, if you wish to set a higher standard for lawn care, I would recommend starting with the common areas. Of the properties with notices that I observed, a number of them had grass that was no higher than what I have observed in the common area behind my property this spring.

Thank you for your time,

Third B. Kegboy
    2 Cool Drive

(Note: Name and address may have been changed to protect someone from ever having to host a forum party.)

Oh Kegboy, I sympathize with you. We had opportunity to live in a subdivision like yours, and we chose to buy a house on a platted lot within the city, not in a subdivision or area under a HOA. Working in county government, I have seen it get ugly WAAY too often to ever be willing to live under a set of covenants and restrictions. DK is dead on that the local gov't won't do anything to help (either the HOA enforce their covenants or you avoid them) and the matter would be handled as a civil matter.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I've always lived in a middle of a ton of corn. The way most nieghborhoods are so snitchy and prissy has always struck me as ridiculous......
    A great example of why adhere to the same feeling as SIG:

Friends of ours moved into one of the snootier subs in our community. They had to have a 15K gift from mommy & daddy for a down payment to do it, but they got in. They were thrilled at their upward mobility and were looking forward to socializing with some of the movers & shakers of our community on a much more personal level.
    They were moving stuff in, having had possession for two days...My friend noticed the old battle-axe next door coming up the driveway to greet them. He put on his best smile, put down his load, and headed out to meet her with a smile. He said hello, and her first words were, "When are you going to mow that awful lawn?" Welcome to the f#*king neighborhood, indeed.
    The following week, still their FIRST WEEK in the new digs, there were three packages delivered from UPS and left on their front porch. Both of our friends (husband and wife) work in the courthouse with my wife and I, so we got to witness this first-hand. The neighbor across the street from our friends noticed that the packages had been there for a couple of hours and nobody had gotten those unsightly things indoors, and she had to keep looking at them...(what an inconvenience, I tell you!) The nosy neighbor knew that my friend's father was retired, and knew his cell number. She called him saying she was concerned about the packages being outside so long. (This is not Indy we are talking about; there was very little worry about theft.) My friend's father then called his daughter-in-law at work to tell her about the grave circumstance that was on their front porch. She then called my friend, her husband, and he felt the need to leave for lunch early to go and get those packages indoors so that the neighbor wouldn't be subjected with having to look at them while apparently sitting on her front porch and watching their house.

They were there ONE WEEK and wished they hadn't bought the $170,000 beautiful house that was basically their dream home. Pretty sad.

I will NEVER live under covenants & restrictions or a HOA. I will live under a bridge first. I'm not in any way kidding.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    (Note: Name and address may have been changed to protect someone from ever having to host a forum party.)

Oh come on, I'm sure the muscrats would make us some great ice cream. Yum, yum.

As i keep telling my wife, white rock makes a great yard. Not only is it convienent for you, but look at all that water you conserve.

To good neighbors!

Mood

And yet, nah meverm,mind...I consider them para-governmental with a bunch of political wannabe's. Anyone can run for the board but the elections are not monitored...and that is one of my objections. They have power with little oversight. They may change the ordinances with no input from the governed and in my case, each time I brought up my desire for a matching utility barn (architecturally similar to my home) I've been stonewalled.
    There are 7 sections to my subdivision...each with it's own set of regulations. Which side of the street you live on can determine whether or not you're allowed a utility barn, a satellite dish, a motorhome or even a place for your boat. Then there is a whole different set for those living "lake front".

and yet, it's a compromise...my wife is suburb and I'm country. (she wins)

It is equidistant between her work, my mother, and her mother.