Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some Indy 500 advice...

Default Need some Indy 500 advice...

Folks, I got pretty lucky...

A friend somehow managed to snake into tickets for us for this weekend's Indy 500. We have tickets in the Tower Terrace area and hospitality suite passes for the 'Legends Row' area...Plus we got green bracelets to wear...

We have done a little research and feel like we got pretty darn lucky!

My questions are numerous...

First, if we get there early, like say around 9-10am, can we reasonably expect to make it to the parking lot (Lot 2) that is located at 20th St. and Georgetown Rd.? I have heard many times that the Coca-Cola lot is large and is the easiest to get in and out of. Our tickets and passes say we should enter through Gate 7, and that gate appears to be close to Lot 2 that I describe...I am kind of a wussy, and I will be carrying camera equipment, so I don't feel like walking any more than I already know I'm gonna have to...I have no problem paying $20-$50 for excellent parking close to our gate. I think we can make it into that lot, but how difficult will it be to get out after the race? I have heard that they turn Crawfordsville Rd. into a one way going west, so that traffic can dump out to I-465 after the race, and we are fine with going that way. I guess any advice on the best, closest, cheapest, and least hassle for parking would be greatly appreciated!

I would also like to know what the green bracelets do for us...They don't say anything on them aside from having the IMS logo, and there is no explanation in the paperwork we got...Are they just extra verification that we are allowed in to the area for our seats, or the suites? Again, any help would be great!

Also, and possibly most importantly (!!), I will have my legendary camera with the 300mm zoom lens, and two (2) 4gb cards to fill. That is TWO THOUSAND frames. I would like to know where we can go when we get tired of sitting so that I can get some good shots of some of the ladies that like to 'put on a show' so to speak...I assume the infield is the place to be, but it is a great big infield, so any specific info for hotties would be greatly appreciated, and I will be happy to share what I get...

Any other advice I could get, I would be most appreciative!

Thanks in advance!

(Did I mention that this will be the first time I actually attend the race?!)

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Need some Indy 500 advice...

Make it rain on dem hoes.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for your help!
    I'd help more if I could, but the last time I was at the 500 was probably 7 or 8 years ago. All I remember is that we parked a long *** ways away because the family I went with didn't want to pay for good parking. The only reason they brought me is cause I was the only friend of the kid who could carry two full coolers of beer.

Heywoode. Lot 2 will be close to full by that time, but if your luck holds out you'll get in.

Assuming you come across on 30th street (which I would recommend over taking 465 around the west side and then coming in on Crawfordsville Road), you're going to be driving past a lot of other parking, including the Coke lot. It might be that after driving three hours your fat butt is going to be itching and you'll want to park in lot 7 or the Coke lot and just walk for the last 10 minutes. At best, you'd be able to walk as fast as you'd be driving the rest of the way from 30th street to Lot 2.

Is lot 2 free? I don't even know that. I also don't know what the green bracelets entitle you to do. Maybe Milka Duno will come and sit on your lap.

Enjoy the race.
    Last edited by Putnam; 05-21-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Thanks Putty.

I don't think Lot 2 is free...I had heard that the walk from the Coke lot is about two miles, but it doesn't look that far.

Also, stop breaking the counting thread.

Heywoode,
    I would think that your lot will be filling by that point...especially 10AM. Earlier the better. 9AM is better than 10AM. Before the time change (when the race started at 11AM) I can pretty much guarantee it would be filled but the later start has helped thin early traffic a little. Still, many people still arrive early by habit...

I can't imagine getting out will be all that easy. LOTS of foot traffic and auto traffic after the race. You're probably best served by just saying "screw it" and staying in your seats and watching the winner interview and victory lap than trying to hurry back to your car at the checkered flag. No use rushing just to sit in traffic.

I always recommend parking at the airport and taking the shuttle. That is the quickest way in and out. The shuttles get priority on the roads. I believe there are shuttles from downtown too but I've never tried that. There's always a long line for the buses leaving the track but the lines move quickly because there are LOTS of buses.

Georgetown rd is a MASS of people after the race. If lot 2 only dumps out onto Georgetown road, then you'll be fighting more than vehicle traffic. I always shake my head at anyone even ATTEMPTING to drive on Georgetown rd after the race.

Green bracelet... Hmmmm I have no idea what that is all about. Could be for suites.

I'll be there... Paddock Penthouse seats. I think the start of the race is awesome and as much as you'll want to try and get a shot of it, looking at it thru the viewfinder doesn't do it justice. My seats are great for viewing the race but not so good for for the flyover (we're under roof).

AFAIK you can enter any gate regardless of what the ticket says. I never enter by our gate because it is always mucho backed up.

The snakepit is basically 'no more' so you might not find those 'special' shots as easy to find as they used to be. You'll probably find hotties in the plaza area who've been hired to model for certain wares. And there should be several hotties just attending so you should be able to get more pics than just race cars. At some point the cars and drivers will roll out of Gasoline Alley and towards the track. That's another photo op BUT there will be PLENTY of people there with the same ideas. There's also a large restroom facility there where you can get up high (2nd level) and shoot down toward gasoline alley. That might be your best bet for those car/driver photos.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Thanks Putty.

I don't think Lot 2 is free...I had heard that the walk from the Coke lot is about two miles, but it doesn't look that far.
    Maybe the furthest parking space in the Coke lot is two miles from seats on the back stretch. But generally two miles is more than a realistic estimate.

Your choice depends on how much stuff you're going to be carrying, and whether you'd prefer to stride along manfully, or creep along in your car, a couple of feet at a time, for the last half mile on Georgetown Road.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Thanks Putty.

Also, stop breaking the counting thread.
    2 miles? What, does it go to Avon?

Back of Coke lot or North 40 can be longer than a person might like, but I'm with Putnum that you hit those lots south of 30th street and jumping in there is going to look pretty good. And since they typically exit out the back rather than G'town it's not really the end of the world to be a bit toward the back anyway.

Personally as a downtowner I hit 65 to 38th St, then use Lafayette to come down to 34th or 30th. Actually we end up parking for free way back there but that is a long walk. For the F1 we had parking about where you are headed and we would just turn at 34th, then ride out G'town the rest of the way (going south).

Lugging stuff stinks but so does driving slower than people are walking.

As for the lady action, we always sit in the Paddock Penthouse so no action there. But a few years ago I went with some buddies over to turn 2 infield and while it wasn't a party per the golden years there was plenty of eye candy. Sunny and 80 says it will be more of the same this year.

I think turn 1 and 3 have stands now that kills those areas, and turn 4 is of course the road track area with no infield or seating. Carb day at the Stone Temple Pilots concert will be much more in line with the debauchary of the old snake pit.

I believe there are shuttles from downtown too but I've never tried that.
    Yep, but I haven't used them. I think they stage at the Capitol and maybe 1 or 2 other spots. Free street parking on weekends so that option wouldn't be too bad. If it wasn't for the fact that we park for free and that we are able to leave "late" (less than 2 hours before the start) and still not miss anything keeps us from using them. But if I was dropping $20 to be fairly close vs $25 to shuttle that might be a different story.

and whether you'd prefer to stride along manfully, or creep along in your car,
    Remember that discussion about the Pacers working on branding issues vs regular advertising?
    Those options are in no way presented in a loaded manner. I happen to agree with Putnum though.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 05-21-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Most people wouldn't go for this, and I've not been in 10 years, but I've been over 20 times and I usually park WAY the hell far away for free, and by the time I get to my car, it's an easy drive home.

When I've had tix in the first turn, I parked near 16th & Kessler.
    When I've had tix in the North chute, I parked at 38th & Georgetown.

I've taken these walks with coolers, but don't recommend it. Wear comfortable shoes.
    Last edited by PacerPete; 05-21-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: .

I hope everyone has a fun safe time.

But you couldn't pay me to go ever again. Just wasn't a fun time.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-22-2008 at 11:34 AM.

I'm pretty sure the bracelet is for suites. A buddy of mine took me to a suite for 500 quals when I was in 7th or 8th grade and I believe we had bracelets. Or we may have had those necklace things. Or we may have had both. (I think it was both)

Yeah, we have the lanyards to put the paper hosp. suite passes in. I guess we'll see when we get there...

Thanks again to all who added advice...

If anyone else is going and would like to at least hook up for a few to say hello, let me know. I won't walk all over hell's half-acre to get together with someone, but if you're in the area of the pagoda/garage/tower terrace and would like to say hello, PM me here by Saturday and I can give out my cell number for a avenue to text me on race day...

Any other thoughts/stories/advice would be greatly appreciated. You can never have enough input for something as big as the 500.

I will go on record as saying I want Helio or Danica to win...

Heywoode, I went to my very first nascar race last weekend at the All Star Race here in NC. The braclets there were for access to your particular suite. The tickets got us up on the suite floor and then you needed the braclet to get into your particular suite.

It may be different in Indy, but thats probably close to what they do.

I wouldn't spend much time before the race up in the suite. Thats when I would walk and get the pictures. Then hang up in the suite during the race and get trashed as we did. We ended up in the crown royal suite due to a friend getting us access. Nothing like downing Crown royal Special reserve all night and then them breaking out several bottles of the crown royal XR at the end of the night. We were trashed. The food was awesome.

I will say, the parking situation sucked afterwards. We sat in the parking lot for 3 hours and didn't move but about 10 yards. So I wouldn't be in any hurry to get back to your car. I had fun at the race, but more because of tthe friends I was with and the suite we ended up in, not so much for the racing. It was cool to see how fast te cars went, and we sat in turn 2 for a while up in the stands during the shoot-out prior to the all star race and got to see some of the high speed accidents. But I'm still not a big racing fan.

I did have a lot of fun though just in general, so enjoy your first race. I here Indy is a lot of fun.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got my two tickets from Team Penske. LOL

Free parking and hospitality.

w00t

Thanks for the comments, gyron...I am really looking forward to it, but I have low expectations because I could easily see myself feeling like UncleBuck feels! Seems that you are probably correct about the bracelets. It makes sense that the hosp. passes get us on the correct floor, but the bracelets get us in the door. I'm not a big drinker at all, so I will probably have a couple of beers and that is it...I am naturally high on life, so it doesn't take much for me to have a good time. Not that I mind others who enjoy some drinking; I can usually deal with sloshy people well, but if they get wasted, silly, and/or belligerent, I can also take advantage of drunkenness and slap some drunksters down.

Damn dukie, who'd you have to blow to get a VIP package from Roger & Co.?

Was it you who said your dad was an electrician at the track?

You already have my cell, and you should know where I'm sitting and will be hanging. Text me there and we can try to at least say hello if we're in close proximity to one another...It would be a shame to not at least say hello and chat about how lame the canadians are!
    Last edited by heywoode; 05-22-2008 at 09:28 PM.

I also had an Indy 500 question....I want to go next year to the race. When/how do I get tickets for it?

I've never actually gone, even with 23 years of opportunity
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I think you can use a ticket broker like ticketsnow.com, circlecitytickets.com. etc. and get tickets to the race...ticketsnow.com definitely has tickets to this years race right now...

Yeah you should be able to get twenty dollar tickets to this years race pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I also had an Indy 500 question....I want to go next year to the race. When/how do I get tickets for it?

I've never actually gone, even with 23 years of opportunity
    Tickets for next year should be available at www.IMStix.com after at least about 2 weeks of this year's race. You might even check to see if they are available immediately. Existing ticket holders get first priority and the ability to ATTEMPT to upgrade/change seats if they desire... which is why there is a 2 week window for existing ticket holders to re-up for next year. ...So technically if they accepted your order immediately I'm not sure they could let you pick your seats until after they sort thru the people who re-up.

Technically, you should be able to get tix from there for THIS year's race right now... although likely not the best seats in the house.

Otherwise, there's plenty of people looking to scalp tickets the morning of the race and many times at less than face value... especially if you're willing to miss the start of the race. I don't recommend missing the start... that's one of the best parts of the day (not just the drop of the green flag but the immediate build up to that).

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Speaking of the Indy 500... Here are some pics I took last year. All of this talk about the race is getting me excited

------

-John Wooden

Thanks for sharing, Bball!! Those shots really illustrate the inclement weather of last year...

I just figured out that we are going to be on the inside above the pits, so there is no way I will get shots as cool as the ones you took of the cars pitting....sigh. Hopefully I can find some cool angles for nice shots too...

woman without a team

My dad used to be able to get freebie tickets to the race through work. The first year we had tickets in the pits we thought they would suck. Actually they were some of the best seats we ever had. The Kevin Cogan/Mario Andretti crash at the beginning of the race happened right in front of us.

Wow, grace!

I remember watching that crash on live TV and it was SOOOO inexplicable that we were all just dumbfounded...

That is awesome that you got to see it that close. Was that the same year that the tire flew up and killed that guy in the stands?

woman without a team

Was that the same year that the tire flew up and killed that guy in the stands?
    I don't think so.