Thread: OMG! My town made the Top 10 list of America's Best Places to Live!

Default OMG! My town made the Top 10 list of America's Best Places to Live!

You know how you see those random headlines on websites like MSN.com that mentions such things as "Best Places to Dine" or "How to Ask You Boss for a Raise" and you think, "No big deal, nothing real interesting to read there," but you just can't help clicking on the link anyway to find out what it's really about? Well, I clicked on the link on MSN.com that outlines the Top 10 places to live in the U.S. for 2008 and was shocked to see my small town of Huntsville, AL among them.

According to Relocate-America.com, the top 10 cities to live in the U.S. are:
    • Charlotte, N.C. (voted #1 two years in a row)
    • San Antonio
    • Chattanooga, Tenn.
    • Greenville, S.C.
    • Tulsa, Okla.
    • Stevens Point, Wis.
    • Asheville, N.C.
    • Albuquerque, N.M.
    • Huntsville, Ala.
    • Seattle
    Read the full list at Relocate-America.com.

I'm very surprised and proud at the same time. I've lived here for nine years and at first I wasn't sure if I'd stay. There didn't seem to be much going on here and I'm use to living in larger metro areas with a little more hustle and bustle. But after being here the first year and talking to some of the residents - some of which had recently relocated here themselves and liked it - I decided to give Huntsville a chance. And I'm glad I did!

The city is booming! We only have a population of about 150,000 (120,000 according to the 2000 census), but the placed has become more crowded over the years. Not soon after I moved here places that were tree-lined areas were soom development with new homes and shopping centers. Looking back I'm amazed at how fast the city has grown in the short time I've lived here.

Huntsville has alot of the same amenities that some major cities have, i.e, fine dining, theater, a top rated orchestra, semi-pro sports (baseball, arena football, hockey and for a time we even had an NBDL team, the Huntsville Flight), tons of entertainment beyond movies (although we've had two new cinema houses open up here in the last two year, the Rave and Monaco Pictures at the new Bridgestreet Mall - an outdoor mall which in itself is pretty awesome!), three large malls (including the outdoor mall I just mentioned), not to mention the scenery is very beautiful and the people are very friendly.

Property taxes are low, per captia income is very responable, and we have the lowest unemployment rate of any major city in the state (currently 4% compared to nearly 20% in the state captical). Huntsville is also the 3rd largest city in the state of Alabama (by population; although most registries still have us 4th behind Birmingham, Mobile and Montgomery in that order) It's quiet here; very little crime. And while other large cities seem to be struggling in the housing market, we've got housing construction going on everywhere (mostly due to the BRAC). In fact, the part of the city where I live (southside) there are five new housing developments either in the planning stages, under construction or nearly complete with more spreadout all across the city.

This city has more going for it that I ever thought it would. And despite everything that's happening, Huntsville has retained its small town appeal. I like that. It's a very family friendly place. I think I'll stick around for another ten years. By then my youngest daughter will be 16. We'll see what happens by then.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 05-17-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OMG! My town made the Top 10 list of America's Best Places to Live!

I didn't click on that story because I didn't think San Antonio would be on it and its #2. I don't understand why my hometown of Terre Haute didn't make it though.

First of all, great for Huntsville, San Antonio and all the other top cities. It is nice to get recognition. Enjoy, nuffsaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-locate America
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    key data regarding education, environmental greenworthiness, economic opportunity, parks & recreation choices and real estate & home ownership options are reviewed, rated & judged by our editorial team.
    Remember how, at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones is told by the CIA guy that there are "top men" working on the ark? Those top men turned out to be as robust as the "key data" in most of these ranking systems. There are several of them, and just about every city in the country get on one or the other of them. Indianapolis was #1 in housing affordability and #3 is business climate according to various rankings during 2007.

Still, Huntsville should be pleased. I've never been there, myself. My only association with Huntsville is a kid from there who attended the same summer music program I did when I was 13 or so. We made fun of his accent. He probably grew up and became the mayor of the place, so he gets the last laugh at us. Good for him.
    Last edited by Putnam; 05-18-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I didn't click on that story because I didn't think San Antonio would be on it and its #2. I don't understand why my hometown of Terre Haute didn't make it though.

Because we both left, thus lowering the coolness factor by 50%
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

It's funny how towns fall in and out of this list.

Greenville, SC would be one fo the BOTTOM 10 places in the world I would want to live.....

I however live in Charlotte, the only thing I can guess is they are ranking this on real estate values still rising, and a few other decent things charlotte has going on for it. I will say Charlotte doesn't have near the luster it had when I moved here in 1999.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I don't understand why my hometown of Terre Haute didn't make it though.
    If I had to guess I'd say it is the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Because we both left, thus lowering the coolness factor by 50%
    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say it is the smell.
    But Eddie Bird is head of the parks department!

Mood

Another list, another failure to mention Richmond, Indiana. Jeez people, we gave you Jim Jones*, what else do we have to do?

*Okay, so we stole him from Lynn, but to be fair, who really wants to be "The Jim Jones" town anyway?