Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

  1. #1

    Default Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    My second draft analysis is another UCLA player, Russell Westbrook. If interested, my first thread about the draft was about UCLA big man Kevin Love.

    Westbrook is another player who opinions will vary about. Westbrook is a very good athlete, who moves and slashes well. He handles the ball well for a 2 guard, and has the athleticism to be an effective finisher in traffic. He isnt particularly great at any one offensive skill, but he knows how to make plays to help you win. He is strong with the ball in traffic, and savvy enough to be able to control his body and get fouled. From the perimeter, he is a decent shooter if given space, with in my view potential to really improve this area of his game to become a real strength eventually.

    How much a team/person likes Westbrook probably derives from whether you believe he can eventually become a serviceable NBA point guard. He is listed as a point guard in some draft websites, and played the position occasionally for the Bruins and Ben Howland. He does have the athleticism to play the point, particularly defensively, but in my view offensively in most systems he would be miscast as a traditional lead ballhandling guard. If you are a team like Indiana who covets a starter level point guard, in my opinion you should not be expecting Westbrook to fill that role.....at least in the way Indiana plays offense. It would be interesting to see him play in an offensive system like the triangle, which doesnt use a traditional point guard. If drafted by a team who wanted to play like that, Westbrook could probably fill that type of spot. Outside of the Lakers (and possibly Pheonix next year, as I look for them to play radically different offensively) I don't see a team in the NBA leaning toward playing that way.

    Westbrook I believe is a 2 guard, with some emergency backup ballhandling skills. Opinions may vary wildly about that on this board and around the league.

    Defensively, Westbrook is well taught, well schooled, and motivated. He plays bigger than he is listed at, contests shots well, is capable of staying in front of most perimeter players, and causing them problems. He can get up in a weaker ballhandlers grill and still remain quick enough to not get beaten often off the dribble. He does really well at avoiding being screened, which means he reads situations well along with being a good defensive communicator and listener. (It also means he has been in a really quality defensive system). To me, most of Westbrooks future depends on his ability to be a defensive stopper off the bench.

    Whoever drafts Westbrook will have to decide if they want him to become stronger, or become quicker. That will determine what type of defensive role he will play for the team that gets him. If a team wants a strong point guard defender off the bench, Westbrook can do that now to most of the back up level point guards in the league and some of the starters. Currently I think he would lack the quickness to defend Tony Parker, Chris Paul, or other point guards who rely on their quickness....but most players are going to have that problem anyway.

    If you want Westbrook to be able to guard wings, likely he will need to get stronger in order to take the pounding of coming through bone jarring screens night after night for 82 games. Right now he is too thin to handle that as a starter, but could eventually grow in to that type of player someday. I do think he can play right away as a 15 minute, 4th wing, role player defender type off the bench.

    So, the questions are:

    1. Can he legitimately play the point in the NBA?

    I've already answered no, at least on most teams.

    2.If he is a wing, will he primarily be used as an offensive player who has defensive skills, or as a defensive player with some offensive punch occasionally?

    To me he is more of a defender, but opinions may vary.

    3. Which player currently in the league does he remind you of?

    I've heard people say Fred Jones, but I don't agree with that at all. Westbrook is alot more of a cerebral player than Fred, and I think has more long term upside.

    To me, I see a slightly better version of Raja Bell of Pheonix. If he played in the right system, I could also see an older version of Ron Harper of the Bulls early title teams (not when he was a big scorer for the Clippers in his younger days). The best things about Westbrook are I think his attitude, willingness to defend, proper fundamentals defensively he learned at UCLA, and his attitude. This is all pop psychology now, but I see Westbrook as one of the more rare NBA guys whose game will improve with age, as he settles in to a role somewhere and refines his skills. A big key to Westbrooks future will be landing on the right team, as it is for so many other players similar to him. If he gets lucky he can have a long career playing a key role for a championship level team, if he doesn't he ends up like another player he is similar to, Maurice Ager from Michigan State, who has been buried on the bench his entire career.


    As always, the above is just my opinion.

    Tbird

  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,045

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Thank you kind sir! Please tell us how you think he would do if the Pacers picked him, like you did for Love.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 05-17-2008 at 09:07 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you kind sir! Please tell us how you think he would do if the Pacers picked him, like you did for Love.

    I think he would be a fine fit for us, and a solid if unspectacular player for us for the future, as long as our expectations are in order and not out of whack.

    He would fit nicely as a rotation player with our wings. Drafting him would/could really help Granger, because when these 2 were in the game together (without Dunleavy), then some of the time the matchups would allow Westbrook to guard the opponents best wing player. Not all the time, but some of the time, Westbrook would be a huge factor defensively. For instance, playing Detroit he helps us because he could shadow Rip Hamilton or occasionally defend Chauncey Billups, where as now Danny has to do that. Playing against the Celtics, Westbrook could really cause trouble for Ray Allen. He also has enough offensive game that he could attack guys like that on the other end too. He could really give trouble for Ben Gordon too.

    Now, against bigger wings, he'd be too small to do anything with them. Like LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, etc etc, Granger would still have to cover them.

    Depending on how the Pacers address the point guard position, Westbrook can guard some of the better point guards if you matched him up correctly.

    Suppose for a moment we had a point guard like Shawn Livingston, a bigger player who has lost some quickness but can still play the position offensively I think. Westbrook could guard point guards like Andre Miller, Kirk Hinrich, Chauncey Billups, and maybe Gilbert Arenas for you, allowing Livingston or some similar player to defend a slower guy.

    Offensively, Westbrook initially is probably a 3rd option for your second unit, but as I said originally I love his likelihood to improve in this area. My read on him is that he is driven to be really good, and will keep improving while in the league, unlike 80% of NBA players who essentially stay the same when they enter the NBA and start collecting checks.

    The other adavantage I think Westbrook could give Indiana if we chose him is some roster flexibility. What I mean by that is that I think he can take the roles of both Kareem Rush AND Marquis Daniels, making those guys expendable (if they werent already) and enabling the Pacers to clear additional time to play Shawne Williams more if they choose.

    If the Pacers choose Westbrook, I think we'd be happy with his style of play as he fits some needs, and by all accounts he is a solid citizen with a winning pedigree. I just don't think he is a point guard in any way, shape, or form, and we shouldnt expect him to be.

    Tbird

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Would you take him over Love?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you take him over Love?

    That's the million dollar question, if they are both there at #11.

    I guess my answer would depend on what other moves I thought I could make, both on draft night and in free agency later in the summer. For example, if I thought I could acquire another wing defender in free agency or in a small trade, I'd probably take Love. Guys I've mentioned before might be a better fit that Westbrook might be Aaron Afflalo of Detroit and Quinton Ross of the Clippers. There are a couple of other good defensive wings in this draft too who may be available in the late first round. If I thought I could obtain a late first rounder somehow and add someone like Kyle Weaver with that pick, going with Love at #11 would be the way to go.

    On the other hand, I think a wing defender is a bigger "need" for us than an additional big is. If I thought I could add a big guy to get me by later in the draft or as a cheap free agent, I might take Westbrook instead and forego signing the more expensive Ross or someone similar.

    Essentially, I think both of these players are good role players who fill a specific need for us, and each have high character and are solid citizens. I think Westbrook has marginally more upside, but probably carries more risk. I also think getting a wing is generally easier than getting a productive big man......so if you asked me today on Saturday, May 17th I'd probably go with Love, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

    Neither would be a bad choice at #11.

    Of course, there will be other possibilities I'll discuss in later threads.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    T-bird, do you think Westbrook is a reach at the 11th spot if your assessment is right about him not being a pg but a sg in the future?

    Maybe I am getting ahead of your threads here but do you think Augustine is a better pick at the 11th spot?

  7. #7
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    I don't think either guy will be there at 11, unfortunately.

    However, I love the idea of drafting with a plan. Draft Westbrook at 11 not hoping he's the next Monte Ellis or Dwyane Wade but instead draft him to do something specific, to fit your team. My only issue is that maybe 11 is a little high for a role player. I'd much prefer getting Augustin (whom I really believe in - you might disagree) and then somehow Weaver later.

    Also, T-Bird, I think this is your best, most enjoyable series yet. Please keep em coming. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Trust me, if there's anywhere it's appreciated, it's PD.
    Last edited by rexnom; 05-18-2008 at 01:40 AM.

  8. #8
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,045

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Also, T-Bird, I think this is your best, most enjoyable series yet. Please keep em coming. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Trust me, if there's anywhere it's appreciated, it's PD.
    An echo of my thoughts, if I would have thought them! (grin) And a nice thing to say rexnom!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    I wouldn't have said this a month ago, but at this point, provided
    his health issues (knees, back) aren't of concern to the Pacers'
    med staff, I'd take Love over Westbrook.

    Sure, Westbrook fills what we perceive as a glaring need right now.
    He can presumably defend troublesome opposing PG's and/or 'some'
    wings. But his offensive game is nowehere near ready for big minutes
    in the NBA at SG. Which likely means, he'll be a backup on the 2nd
    unit for at least a year or two. Which means he won't be in the game
    most of the time when the opposing guys we desperately need help
    defending are on the court.

    Is Westbrook a guy you can put in the game in Q-4 to stop a Billups
    or a Wade or the like ? Not really, because his offensive diffciencies
    will hurt you too much at the other end. He might be that guy in
    3 years. He's not now.

    On the other hand, if TBTP thinks that Westy can essentially learn the
    PG spot on the fly and they're willing to suffer the growing pains for
    2-3 years, then I'd take him. But as we're seeing with Rondo's
    (a kid with vastly more PG experience than Westy) struggles with
    inconsistency in the playoffs even while surrounded by 3 All-Star
    caliber guys, great athleticism will only take you so far at that
    position.
    Last edited by Rajah Brown; 05-18-2008 at 08:27 AM.

  10. #10
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Very informative and interesting reads indeed, thx .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  11. #11
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,171

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Westbrook has no legitimate position in the NBA. At best, he develops decent NBA PG skills and will never be the starting PG you want. Alternatively, he becomes a consistent backup SG off the bench with a decent mid range game. Kareem Rush is probably that good or better.

    He might become a better PG than we have on this team, but it's not saying much. Augustin, even with his lack of athleticism, is already where Westbrook will be in terms of skills.

    Skills at the PG position outweigh athleticism...just look at Mark Jackson. Maybe none of the available PG's are worth picking....so you pick Kevin Love I suppose.

    Maybe not as bad as James White, but I just don't want to see another athleticism based pick who never contributes on the floor nor has a true NBA position.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Westbrook has no legitimate position in the NBA. At best, he develops decent NBA PG skills and will never be the starting PG you want. Alternatively, he becomes a consistent backup SG off the bench with a decent mid range game. Kareem Rush is probably that good or better.

    He might become a better PG than we have on this team, but it's not saying much. Augustin, even with his lack of athleticism, is already where Westbrook will be in terms of skills.

    Skills at the PG position outweigh athleticism...just look at Mark Jackson. Maybe none of the available PG's are worth picking....so you pick Kevin Love I suppose.

    Maybe not as bad as James White, but I just don't want to see another athleticism based pick who never contributes on the floor nor has a true NBA position.

    This is by far the most pessimistic view of Westbrook I have seen. I certainly don't believe he is an unskilled athlete as you seem to. I consider defensive ability a skill and westbrook has an abundance of it. He also has the ability to get to the rim and finish - another skill soorly lacking on this Pacers team. Most importantly, IMO, he appears to be unselfish (he doesn't have the SG mentality) and is a team player. The only attribute that he and James White seem to share is athleticism. They appear to have completly different attitudes, whcih is what has always been James Whites problem.

    IMO, adding Westbrook to the current roster improves the team much more than adding Love would. I also believe Westbrook has a higher ceiling.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Ron Harper was an ingenoius comparison to Westbrook, Harper was an allstar caliber player with the Clippers and Westbrook has the same potential. Although on the downside, he reminds me of Antonio Daniels, atheletic enough to play PG, but not skilled enough to play it effectively. It all depends on his ability to prove to GMs he can play point, his workouts can take him high as 6th or as late as 17th.

  14. #14
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,171

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is by far the most pessimistic view of Westbrook I have seen. I certainly don't believe he is an unskilled athlete as you seem to. I consider defensive ability a skill and westbrook has an abundance of it. He also has the ability to get to the rim and finish - another skill soorly lacking on this Pacers team. Most importantly, IMO, he appears to be unselfish (he doesn't have the SG mentality) and is a team player. The only attribute that he and James White seem to share is athleticism. They appear to have completly different attitudes, whcih is what has always been James Whites problem.

    IMO, adding Westbrook to the current roster improves the team much more than adding Love would. I also believe Westbrook has a higher ceiling.
    Ok, I was a bit harsh on Westbrook. The indirect comparison with James White was unfair to a guy like Westbrook. I just want the Pacers to think skill before athleticism with this pick.

    We have Flip Murray and Quis Daniels coming off the bench already. Do we really need another combo guard? Is Westbrook really much different than a young, smaller Quis Daniels? Athletic, good defender, gets to the rim...but short on PG skills and not a SG? Sounds like Daniels to me.

    IMO, the last thing we need after another redundant SF is another combo guard. After Fred Jones, I am just pretty tired of seeing the Pacers pick up these guys who are never going to be good starters because they either do not have the right skills or are undersized.

    If I thought he was the best that would be available I would back off that position. However, I highly suspect there will be better players available. We could use Jordan Farmar or Rajon Rondo at PG about now don't you think?...

    So, IMO, we should go with a big or draft a real PG. No more games. No more multi-position players who can't play any position. Trade Ike so we don't have to re-sign him. Draft Love if he drops. Pick the best player available...

  15. #15

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    I forget exactly, but wasn't Ron Harper at least 6-6, if not 6-7 ?

  16. #16
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,201

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, I was a bit harsh on Westbrook. The indirect comparison with James White was unfair to a guy like Westbrook. I just want the Pacers to think skill before athleticism with this pick.

    We have Flip Murray and Quis Daniels coming off the bench already. Do we really need another combo guard? Is Westbrook really much different than a young, smaller Quis Daniels? Athletic, good defender, gets to the rim...but short on PG skills and not a SG? Sounds like Daniels to me.

    IMO, the last thing we need after another redundant SF is another combo guard. After Fred Jones, I am just pretty tired of seeing the Pacers pick up these guys who are never going to be good starters because they either do not have the right skills or are undersized.

    If I thought he was the best that would be available I would back off that position. However, I highly suspect there will be better players available. We could use Jordan Farmar or Rajon Rondo at PG about now don't you think?...

    So, IMO, we should go with a big or draft a real PG. No more games. No more multi-position players who can't play any position. Trade Ike so we don't have to re-sign him. Draft Love if he drops. Pick the best player available...
    Because of the significant flaws of the guards that will be available at 11 I really feel like
    a big is what will be taken. Love, Speights, McGee or if a player falls Gallinari or Gordon. I am not too keen on these last 2 either
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  17. #17

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    [QUOTE=BlueNGold;720198]We could use Jordan Farmar or Rajon Rondo at PG about now don't you think?...

    QUOTE]

    I certainly agree about wishing we had Rondo. Of course I actually believe Westbrook is a slightly less athletic, slightly more polished version of Rondo coming out of Kentucky. Let's remember that Westbrook started the first few games of the season at PG and actually led the team in assits for the year. Coach Howland has been quoted as saying Westbrook would be the starting PG next year if he stayed and Collison went to the NBA. Like Rondo, I don't believe Westbrook will ever be a Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson, or John Stockton type "quarterback". I do believe he has the ability to defend the position at a high level, be disciplined enough to play within his offensive abilities, and get his team into it's offensive set. And he's already a better shooter than Rondo was.

    It's hard to argue who the Pacers should take without knowing their plans for the rest of the team. Possibly having either Love or Augustine playing with Murphy, Dunleavy, Diogu, and Diener in the rotation scares the *!#@ out of me. Not to mention Tinsley or possibly Flip. IMO, this teams biggest weakness is perimeter defense and the ability to create off the dribble. Westbrook addresses both needs and when combined with Dun, DG, and JO forms a solid core to build from.

  18. #18
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,171

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I forget exactly, but wasn't Ron Harper at least 6-6, if not 6-7 ?
    Yes, and he had very long arms. A great defender and a legitimate NBA SG. He was part of...I believe 5 championship teams. 3 in Chicago and 2 in LA. In addition, he could definitely score from both inside and out. He was largely overshadowed by MJ and Kobe on those teams...

  19. #19

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because of the significant flaws of the guards that will be available at 11 I really feel like
    a big is what will be taken. Love, Speights, McGee or if a player falls Gallinari or Gordon. I am not too keen on these last 2 either
    I think anyone taken at 11 will have significant question marks. McGee and Gordon probably have more questions than the others, but all have them. I'm a big proponent of taking who you believe will eventually be the best player - as long as he isn't another SF. I don't care who has the quickest short term impact.

    I'd take Speights before Westbrook. I'm intrigued by McGee but have honestly only seen highlights and read scouting reports. I'd rather have Westbrook than either Love or Gallinari. Gallinari because of position, Love because I believe Westbrook has a higher ceiling and fits a more immediate need. I'm torn on Gordon. He is the ultimate boom or bust player. He doesn't address the Pacers primary need - perimeter D. He also wouldn't work well with Dun and Granger, but his potential would be hard to pass up at 11.

  20. #20
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    My fear with Westbrook is, while he will improve with age, he's a guy that's gonna have to bounce around the league a while before he really finds a team that fits, like Raja Bell, like Antonio Daniels. If he ends up at that level or better, great, but I wouldn't want to be the team that sits through his growing pains only to see him make it elsewhere.

    Yes, it'd be great to get his D. And, same as Augustin, one hopes TPTB wouldn't bill him as our PG savior. I just don't have a good feeling about him. But then, I don't necessarily have a good feeling about anybody that'll likely still be available at 11.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron Harper was an ingenoius comparison to Westbrook, Harper was an allstar caliber player with the Clippers and Westbrook has the same potential. Although on the downside, he reminds me of Antonio Daniels, atheletic enough to play PG, but not skilled enough to play it effectively. It all depends on his ability to prove to GMs he can play point, his workouts can take him high as 6th or as late as 17th.
    You know I was reading this thread and Antonio Daniels was the guy who came to my mind when comparing Westbrook.

    I think that Westbrook will turn out to be a solid NBA pro. He has the size, athletic ability, and work ethic to make it happen. I'm not saying I think he is all star material because truth be told I don't. But I do see him as the best prospect for the Pacers. Right now I would have too many question marks for any other player we could take.

    No Westbrook is not the savior at point guard. I would not bet on any possible prospect being the Pacers savior. But if he can develope into a solid role player i'd take that. Maybe a 6th man of the year type of player. Don't undervalue these types of players. Sure we could take say DeAndre Jordan and hope he developes in a star he could be but well that probably isn't a safe bet.

  22. #22
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    I like Batum more than Russell Westbrook.

  23. #23
    Member Mr. Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    704

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, I was a bit harsh on Westbrook. The indirect comparison with James White was unfair to a guy like Westbrook. I just want the Pacers to think skill before athleticism with this pick.

    We have Flip Murray and Quis Daniels coming off the bench already. Do we really need another combo guard? Is Westbrook really much different than a young, smaller Quis Daniels? Athletic, good defender, gets to the rim...but short on PG skills and not a SG? Sounds like Daniels to me.

    IMO, the last thing we need after another redundant SF is another combo guard. After Fred Jones, I am just pretty tired of seeing the Pacers pick up these guys who are never going to be good starters because they either do not have the right skills or are undersized.

    If I thought he was the best that would be available I would back off that position. However, I highly suspect there will be better players available. We could use Jordan Farmar or Rajon Rondo at PG about now don't you think?...

    So, IMO, we should go with a big or draft a real PG. No more games. No more multi-position players who can't play any position. Trade Ike so we don't have to re-sign him. Draft Love if he drops. Pick the best player available...

    The difference is Westbrook is an elite defender which this team desperately needs. Also he seems like a a very hard worker so he could possibly develop more point guard skills eventually.

  24. #24
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    T'bird, basically exactly how I've felt about him this year too. I don't think we've disagreed on a player yet.
    I've heard people say Fred Jones, but I don't agree with that at all. Westbrook is alot more of a cerebral player than Fred, and I think has more long term upside.
    I say Fred all the time, but I agree with this. Primarily the Fred discussion is in terms of PG translation and type of physical game he brings. Fred, and Raja which is an interesting comparison too, both have shown a better deep ball. That's my ONLY concern with him at the 2.

    Too small, not a problem with his hops and nose for the ball. As you say T'bird, the kid is a play maker. Every loose ball off of rebounds he's on top of, every odd play where quickness and instincts are needed he gets in the middle of, he makes the unplanned things go your team's way.

    What he doesn't do is read the court like a PG or really show any advanced passing handles that a solid starting PG normally brings. He isn't slinging the rock off a chain, drilling hard bouncers through traffic for the backdoor cut layup, and certainly not going behind the back or through a defenders legs.

    I've said all along I'll take him. I think Love is the more cerebral of the two, but he's pretty sharp. I don't think EJ, Westbrook or Love fall to 11 though.

    I guess my answer would depend on what other moves I thought I could make, both on draft night and in free agency later in the summer. For example, if I thought I could acquire another wing defender in free agency or in a small trade, I'd probably take Love. Guys I've mentioned before might be a better fit that Westbrook might be Aaron Afflalo of Detroit and Quinton Ross of the Clippers. There are a couple of other good defensive wings in this draft too who may be available in the late first round. If I thought I could obtain a late first rounder somehow and add someone like Kyle Weaver with that pick, going with Love at #11 would be the way to go.

    On the other hand, I think a wing defender is a bigger "need" for us than an additional big is. If I thought I could add a big guy to get me by later in the draft or as a cheap free agent, I might take Westbrook instead and forego signing the more expensive Ross or someone similar.
    Yep. This is why I worry about Bird because this year is extremely tough, lots of variables and hard calls possibly. You can trade Dun to get back in the first, go get W'Brook and bring him up at the 2. Tough year for a rookie, who cares, this season is dead man walking anyway (it would appear). But maybe Dun gets you Rush, Lee, etc and you go Love now.

    And I really like Weaver but only as a defensive specialist who you hope can stick around for 6-7 years in the league. Hate to go 25th area on him but early 2nd round? That would be nice. Weaver's not W'brook on offense/hops, but he gets after it and handles it well enough to stay on the floor.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 05-19-2008 at 03:44 PM.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Russell Westbrook

    Am I the only one not optimistic about either Russell Westbrook or Augustin? I think Westbrook will end up somewhere between Antonio Daniels and Keyon Dooling. If we don't move up in the lottery I would trade down and take Ty Lawson in the 20s.
    basketbawful.com- The best of the worst of professional basketball. And there's a lot of it.

Similar Threads

  1. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
  2. Tbird draft analysis: Kevin Love
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
  4. Tbird analysis: The overrated nature of "team" defense
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 10:02 AM
  5. Good article on the draft
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •