Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tbird draft analysis: Kevin Love

Default Tbird draft analysis: Kevin Love

I'm going to start a few threads from here until the draft about some of the possible players who may be available when we select. I won't try and analyze every player, because there are several of them I have not watched enough to form an intelligent opinion about. One of which I have watched and studied however is Kevin Love, from UCLA.

Love is the topic of my first draft posting because, in many ways he is a difficult player to figure out. Like many real experts in the league, and like many of you have, I have went back and forth watching him and studying his strengths and weaknesses, and my opinion has ranged from him being a very good pro to being out of the league in 3 years. Because we are slotted perfectly to get Love at #11, and because some mock drafts have him being our actual pick, I decided to rewatch some of his college games I had taped this year.

Kevin Love, I have decided, is going to be a really really good basketball player at the NBA level. I think he will play on really good teams in his career, and he will be a main reason why they are good, because he does so many intangible things to help a team win throughout a game. Offensively, I rate him as an All Star level player, although defensively he is only average and will struggle in certain matchups.

Offensively though, he will be an immediate factor in key areas for us if he indeed ends up a Pacer:

1. He ends being our best passer on the team by far. Love makes the outlet pass on the fast break better than any big man I have seen play since maybe Bill Walton. He has strong hands, great vision, great timing, and a very good awareness of where everyone is on the floor. For a team that wants to play uptempo, Love is a great asset due to his defensive rebounding and outlet abilities.

2. Love is a great screener. Watching him on tape, he gets really good screen angles on people (A major Pacer weakness), and really hits people solidly. He gets low and wide most of the time, helping cutters like Westbrook and Collison and Shipp get open for shots/drives. By being a "big" screener, he helps everyone on the floor be a better offensive player....passers have more room to make passes, cutters have more space to clear defenders, and shooters have an extra second to get their shots off.

3. Love makes contested jumpers. What I mean by this is that while Love doesnt have driving ability, he can make tough jump shots with defenders on him closely. This is a difficult skill many cannot do. This makes him very hard and frustrating to guard. In the NBA, he will excel at making the "pick and pop" jump shot after a ball/screen, will excel at making the step back jumper, and will still be able to score inside on putbacks, and posting up smaller guys. I also think eventually Love will develop a 3 point game, much like Mehmet Okur for Utah.

4. In studying his strengths, I think it is very possible that Kevin Love was put on earth to play alongside a big man like Jermaine O'Neal. Love will compliment JO much like Brad Miller did once upon a time. I am not a proponent of trading O'Neal this summer like so many of you, and because of that a pick of Love looks better to me than it will most of you. If the Pacers draft Love but yet trade O'Neal, they will need to try to acquire a player like a Dale Davis or Rick Mahorn type.

In fact, in mentioning the old veteran Rick Mahorn, Love i think reminds me alot of.......yes, Bill Laimbeer. Laimbeer was the player I hated more than anyone growing up, but looking back now I see what a key member to championship teams he was. He made big shots, made big plays, and was a key leader on the floor. He played hard, took no prisoners, and was the heart and soul of a tough minded, hard as nails basketball team. Like Love, Laimbeer was limited and needed certain types of players around him, but still was an extremely good player.......a player I call a "winning factor".

Players I consider Love to be somewhat similar to in the league now are Nenad Kristic of the Nets and Mehmet Okur of the Jazz. I think Love ends up being better than both of these guys, and ends up being a slightly smaller and better version of Brad Miller. As Pacer fans, we'd be happy with that at pick #11, wouldn't we?

Now, if I were running the Pacers, I'd look to try and add another late first round pick and add another complimentary piece to the puzzle...but that is another topic for another day.

I'll have thoughts on some other players as we get closer to the draft. As far as Kevin Love goes, consider me a big fan.

As always, this is just my opinion.

Tbird

Default Re: Tbird draft analysis: Kevin Love

Thank you, the kid confounds me.

Though I think I'd prefer to go for an Augustin or Westbrook, I've got Love #3 (at the #11 pick) on my list for basically the reasons Tbird is listing.

I consider him one of the lowest risk picks in the draft. I think it's likely that he slot somewhere between solid and pretty good...an NBA starter for a long time who won't get a lot of accolades, but will help his team a lot.

I haven't really vacillated on him a great deal. I consider him to be an unexciting, but good pick. While we may hope for (or later, long for) someone better, more special, later, I really think that the chances of him completely busting are pretty slim. (Well, as slim as these things get.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the Laimbeer comparison and agree mostly. I don't know if he has the size of Laimbeer to play center in the NBA, though.

IMO, the most important factor in Love's NBA future isn't his passing, or his pick setting, or even his outside shooting. Those are all very nice, but ultimately window dressing.

How good is he with his off hand?

That's what has taken David West and Carlos Boozer from mediocre NBA prospects to all-stars.

If Love shows an ability to post with either hand, I'd take him #11 without question.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-15-2008 at 02:56 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Good to have your opinion Tbird!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the Laimbeer comparison and agree mostly. I don't know if he has the size of Laimbeer to play center in the NBA, though.
    I seem to remember Laimbeer being 6'11?, and Love is 6'10, so what do you mean? If anything centers are smaller today than they were when Laimbeer played.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 05-15-2008 at 02:56 PM.

My only gripe with Love is that he looks uncannily like Tony Soprano's kid. No more thugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

I seem to remember Laimbeer being 6'11?, and Love is 6'10, so what do you mean? If anything centers are smaller today than they were when Laimbeer played.
    Laimbeer was 7 feet.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

I don't remember Laimbeer's exact height, but it was at least 6'11" w/o shoes. He was a big guy.

With Love, you're looking at somewhere between 6'8"-6'9" w/o shoes. His stock goes up if he measure over 6'9" w/o shoes.

Laimbeer was 7 feet.
    My memory was right, 6'11. That's also what NBA.com says he was.

That's what I remember him always listed at too.

If Laimbeer is only an inch taller than Kevin Love, then I'm only an inch shorter than Reggie Miller. There is no freaking way they are close to the same size.

I don't know if he has the size of Laimbeer to play center in the NBA, though.
    There is no freaking way they are close to the same size.
    Way to contradict yourself.

I have no idea what that was supposed to mean. Feel free to point out the contradiction.

If Laimbeer is only an inch taller than Kevin Love, then I'm only an inch shorter than Reggie Miller. There is no freaking way they are close to the same size.

It is one of those optical illusions things. Because Love is wide he does not look as tall.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    It is one of those optical illusions things. Because Love is wide he does not look as tall.
    If he was as tall as he is wide, he'd be shaquille O'Neal.

I would not mind the Pacers moving up a little to make sure they get him if they think
    he is worth a higher pick.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

other than watching the great celtics teams in the 60's,
    i ignored the NBA till the detroit pistons put together that
    great team. i LOVED that team and LOVED bill laimbeer!!! (sp?)

i know a lot of fans on opposing teams hated him, but if you were
    a pistons fan he was great - i loved his hard-nosed play and he was
    a lot of fun to watch as he contested the officials. great scowl! zero
    arc on his jump shot, which somehow went in.

i would LOVE to have a guy on the pacers like that!

but still - we need a PG more than that right now. if we opt
    for a big, that means we HAVE to acquire a PG somehow.

I have no idea what that was supposed to mean. Feel free to point out the contradiction.
    con·tra·dic·tion (k¼n”tr…-d¹k“sh…n) n. Something that contains contradictory elements.

You said, "I don't know if he has the size of Laimbeer." Then you contradicted yourself by saying, "There is no freaking way they are close to the same size."

con·tra·dic·tion (k¼n”tr…-d¹k“sh…n) n. Something that contains contradictory elements.

You said, "I don't know if he has the size of Laimbeer." Then you contradicted yourself by saying, "There is no freaking way they are close to the same size."
    I don't really see that as contradiction. I would think if he'd said first "He seems to be about the same size as Laimbeer", then he'd said "There is no freaking way...", then he'd be contradicting himself.

Now, I don't particularly agree with his point, and it's difficult to judge the two comparatively because I've never seen them together, but I think he's actually restating the same position, considerably more forcefully.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I don't really see that as contradiction. I would think if he'd said first "He seems to be about the same size as Laimbeer", then he'd said "There is no freaking way...", then he'd be contradicting himself.
    It's a contradiction to say you don't know something and then turn around and be emphatic the other way. Either you don't know or you do.

It's a contradiction to say both.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a contradiction to say you don't know something and then turn around and be emphatic the other way. Either you don't know or you do.

It's a contradiction to say both.
    "I don't know that he has the size of Laimbeer" is a gentle way of saying "He doesn't have the size of Laimbeer." It's not like he doesn't have any idea how big either of them are...

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

MAybe huis intention was the same but you interpreted it too literally.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    "I don't know that he has the size of Laimbeer" is a gentle way of saying "He doesn't have the size of Laimbeer." It's not like he doesn't have any idea how big either of them are...
    I know he knows how big each is listed, that's why I asked him about it!!!!! Laimbeer played at 260, Love has been listed at 275. Laimbeer was listed at 6'11, Love at 6'10. I wanted to know exactly what he meant because if you go by height Lam is bigger, if you go by actually size, Love is bigger.

He never actually answered that question he just came back and said Laimbeer was 7'0.

Ah to heck with it, it's not worth my time!

Is 2 inches in height really worth getting all bent out of shape about?

If he's good, then he can overcome being 2 inches shorter than Laimbeer

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    MAybe huis intention was the same but you interpreted it too literally.
    Of course I did. I interpreted the way he said it.