Thread: Seeking SNES console and/or Donkey Kong Country games on the cheap

Default Seeking SNES console and/or Donkey Kong Country games on the cheap

I apparently gave away or sold my old Super Nintendo game system and all the games I had. I've torn my house apart looking for it in a box or bag somewhere and I've concluded it is GONE.

My kids are just getting to video game playing age (as far as I'm concerned, anyway!) and I have a Nintendo 64 system with a few games. The third dimension in these games really throws them off, and I want to back up one notch on the evolution scale and get them used to controlling a character and using buttons in a little easier format.

My wife and I had all three Donkey Kong Country games and we loved them. We played the crap out of them and either beat or came close to beating all three. It REALLY disappoints me that I lost this system!

I am mostly hoping that someone has this old system rotting away in a box in a closet or attic somewhere and would be willing to practically donate it to me! I will be more than willing to make it right and don't expect a total handout. At the same time, we are talking about a system and games that are so far outdated now, I refuse to pay $75 for the deck and a couple games because they are "vintage" or "classic". That is crap!

Somebody PUH-LEASE help me out here! I will promise this: I don't forget a favor, and I am always willing to help someone, and not just someone who has helped me first...I like being part of a community of goodwill, and have always tried to conduct myself that way (comments about JayRedd's mom notwithstanding) so I hope you all know that I'm sincere in saying I hope it can truly be a situation where someone says, "It was just sitting there and I'm kinda glad to just be rid of it."

Thanks for any advice/comments!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Default Re: Seeking SNES console and/or Donkey Kong Country games on the cheap

Alas, my old SNES is long gone as well.

What I do recommend, is pick up a Wii. The game that comes with it, Wii Sports is fun for kids and adults (though if they're as young as I think they are, they're not quite ready yet), but the real reason to get it is the Virtual Console. You can go online through the Wii and buy classic NES, SNES, Genesis (weird, huh?), and N64 games (though you don't need those). SNES games are $8. I know I've seen Donkey Kong Country on there, and I think one of the sequels?

They also have the classic Mario games.

I recommend a Wii as well. It's a lot of fun, and as Hicks/Mal/etc said, it would be fun with kids.

While I do have a SNES, I still play it quite often....I never plan on letting it go! I think SNES may have been my favorite console.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alas, my old SNES is long gone as well.

What I do recommend, is pick up a Wii. The game that comes with it, Wii Sports is fun for kids and adults (though if they're as young as I think they are, they're not quite ready yet), but the real reason to get it is the Virtual Console. You can go online through the Wii and buy classic NES, SNES, Genesis (weird, huh?), and N64 games (though you don't need those). SNES games are $8. I know I've seen Donkey Kong Country on there, and I think one of the sequels?

They also have the classic Mario games.
    All 3 DKC's are on the virtual console.

There is a place called "Gamer's Desire" in Fishers, off of 116th and Allisonville. They mostly specialize in Magic and other gaming cards, but they do have some vintage games and game systems. I know I saw an SNES there, and I think it was 50 bucks.

There is also a place near the Comic Carnival in Cherry Tree off of East Washington Street called "Disc Replay" or something like that. I know I've seen an SNES system in there before, but I don't recall how much it was.

Your local "GameStop" should sell old SNES systems/games as well.

I do agree that a Wii is the best way to go if you can afford it. I already own over 40 virtual console games, though I haven't bought one in months now (the new releases are slowing to a crawl). No wonder I'm so broke, but I had to buy back all the classic games I used to own.

One of the biggest factors is that I don't want to spend $500....I think I may have a line on a SNES console and about 25 games, including all 3 DKC games, plus MarioPaint with the mouse and mini-keyboard....on the cheap, just like I was looking for!

Thanks for all the input, everyone...I would love to have a Wii, but that's not gonna happen. I can take a vacation to Vegas for less than that!

That's great that you've found a lead.

The Wii isn't $500, though. It's $250.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    That's great that you've found a lead.

The Wii isn't $500, though. It's $250.
    If you can find one. It is still hard to find. If you get one off of eBay or Craigslist, it's running about $350. Add an extra Wiimote and nunchuk, and the virtual console controller and you are talking $430. Add one game and a points card for the virtual console games and you're at the magic number of $500 before you even get it out of the box.

I thought for sure after this past Christmas we would begin to see them on the shelves but you still have to be at the right place at the right time to get one. The other day I was at Wal-Mart on Pendelton Pike when they stocked their shipment. They got 12 and sold them all while I was shopping in the electronics section. I've never seen anything sell like the Wii.

BTW, I would check Craigslist.

Here ya go
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/677007843.html
    Last edited by travmil; 05-15-2008 at 05:17 PM.

I found one. You just need to know where/how to look.

I'm told WalMart re-stocks them on Tuesdays, for instance.

But more importantly, I used this website and it was accurate (I called some of the locations to confirm):

http://www.itrackr.com/

Free to sign up, and after you do you tell it you're wanting to track the Wii, and it will tell you which stores near you (Walmarts, Targets, etc.) have it currently in stock. I'd then call the store to confirm and ask how many are sitting there, then make your decision to go or not.

Worked quickly for me.

Thanks again to all for the information!

travmil, I saw that very listing on craigslist..

Just so everyone knows, I have a work acquaintance who had the ideal scenario for me; former gamer who had a complete system collecting dust in a closet.

I'm in Indy tomorrow for a work meeting and am going to pick the whole package up before heading back home.

Negotiated price for the console, 25 games, and the MarioPaint game and mouse/keyboard is FIFTY DOLLARS!

Yes, my work friend is COOL...

I owe him for this hook-up!

Congrats, heywoode. That's a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post

Just so everyone knows, I have a work acquaintance who had the ideal scenario for me; former gamer who had a complete system collecting dust in a closet.

I'm in Indy tomorrow for a work meeting and am going to pick the whole package up before heading back home.

Negotiated price for the console, 25 games, and the MarioPaint game and mouse/keyboard is FIFTY DOLLARS!

Out of curiousity, can you tell me which games you got? There are 3-5 games I'm looking for, and if you have them, I'd be willing to buy them from you....(the games I want are hella expensive on ebay...and food is more important at times) (maybe I'll PM you)
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post

Dude, that is an excellent deal. When you get a chance let us know which games you got with it. It might be a REALLY good deal.

After my guy got home and compiled a list, it turned out to be 13 games. They are as follows:

ACME Animation factory
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2 – Diddy Kong’s Quest
    Donkey Kong Country 3 – Dixie Kong’s Trouble

James Bond Junior
    Mario Paint
    The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
    Scooby-Doo Mystery

Skiing and Snowboarding Tommy Moe’s Winter Extreme
    Super Mario World
    Vegas Stakes
    X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

The ones in red, I'm not parting with. The rest are negotiable, and I don't redneck on pricing. I know what deal I got, and if one of the remaining titles will make someone happy, I will take joy in passing my happiness on to someone else, on the cheap!

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse

Wow that takes me back. I loved that game as a kid.

yeh, there are some really cool games for those old systems. i play them on my computer pretty often. good stuff.

Mood

Heywoode, I bet your kids would like ACME Animation Factory. If I recall correctly it uses the mouse just like Mario Paint. Maybe you shouldn't part with that one.

thanks Trav. We are exploring our new gaming system this evening, and my kids are absolutely freaking out!

I'm sure I will keep that ACME Animation Factory game too, because yes, I believe it does use the mouse...

If anyone has interest in the other games, let me know....

Cool Spot rules.

Mood

Disc Replay on US 31 south in the Wal-Mart plaza sells SNES systems, games, and peripherals.

woody, I know this is a long way from home for you, but it is worth a trip. They have a large glass case stacked high of SNES games for dirt cheap.

This may make no sense, I will never play it, but I finally found a Platinum Nintendo GameCube for $30 at my local GameStop. I've been wanting one forever!