View Poll Results: Will Carlisle take the Mavs to the Western Conference Finals?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 20.00%
  • No

29 64.44%
  • Maybe (and why)

7 15.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Carlisle take the Mavs to the Western Conference Finals?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Will Carlisle take the Mavs to the Western Conference Finals?

Pretty simple question. I'm not saying the NBA Finals, but the WCF. I'm curious to see everyone's thoughts.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Will Carlisle take the Mavs to the Western Conference Finals?

I only see this happening in two years.

If Peja drops off and the Hornets do not fill that hole.

The Spurs age beyond readjusting.

Phoenix implosion continues.

Kobe has another relapse in a Denver hotel room.

Any 3 of those four.

In other words other teams might have to digress before the Mavs get there.

Yeah! Carlisle's da bomb! He's the schiznit! He's the cat's miaw! He is pure air and fire, and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his shoe is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. The man hath no wit that cannot, from the rising of the lark to the lodging of the lamb vary deserved praise on Rick Carlisle: it is a theme as fluent as the sea; turn the sands into eloquent tongues, and Rick Carlisle is argument for them all: tis a subject for a sovereign to reason on.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He could...

Man, that's tough. I certainly think he has the ability too, but when they traded Harris for Kidd, that roster got old. I want to say yes, because I'm sure Rick'll get the best out of them for at least a year, but that conference is just too damn tough. A lot of stuff would have to go right for it to happen, including key injuries to other teams, probably.

So, I guess I'll push. (BOOOO!)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I only see this happening in two years.

If Peja drops off and the Hornets do not fill that hole.

The Spurs age beyond readjusting.

Phoenix implosion continues.

Kobe has another relapse in a Denver hotel room.

Any 3 of those four.

In other words other teams might have to digress before the Mavs get there.
    I'd have to say maybe.

The reason why I am quoting this is because even though all these are good points, you also have to look at teams that have a good chance of getting better rather than worse in the next couple of years.

In a couple of years Portland could be contending for the Western Conference title. In fact, the conference could be dominated by a Portland-LA rivalry with all other teams being residual. Kind of like the dropoff now after Celtics vs. Pistons (Orlando...come on).

Seattle has a chance at getting another All-Star in the draft. Look how fast Kevin Durant is becoming a really, really good player in ths league. Jeff Green is also developing nicely for those guys. Okay, they may not be WCF material in 2-3 years, but one player has willed a team pretty far in the past. And if that second guy they draft this year develops pretty rapidly, they'll be able to attract FA's and...

Utah is always going to be there as well. They have top notch coaching with Sloan and I can't recall a really terrible trade they've made. They've got a couple of young guys that should improve and they will continue to contend and management will do what they can to elevate that team to the next level.

Dallas has a lot of competition and their roster is old, and Dirk has never been a real gamebreaker in the playoffs on a consistent basis. It will be tough and I think it is in Cuban's hands and much as RC's. Can Cuban rapidly retool the roster?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Dc,

The Kidd trade really mortgaged their future. They have no picks forever. Their lack of depth suggests that they may have to spend more money. Which could be like taking a third mortgage on a house.

In 2009-2010 they will have 50 million in 4 players (Dirk, Howard, Terry, Dampier).

I really don't see them making the moves to get better. Bass is really the only player they have that might get better. Unless Howard goes nuts (no reference to pot use).

Is there a MLE player that can bring them forward? Unlikely.

I believe that there are too many ifs. I wish I could change my vote to no.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 05-10-2008 at 12:38 PM.

I think Rick will do a great job, but the West is just too stacked, and Dirk is a whimp. (And Dallas' talent overall is a little overrated.)
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Yeah! Carlisle's da bomb! He's the schiznit! He's the cat's miaw! He is pure air and fire, and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his shoe is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. The man hath no wit that cannot, from the rising of the lark to the lodging of the lamb vary deserved praise on Rick Carlisle: it is a theme as fluent as the sea; turn the sands into eloquent tongues, and Rick Carlisle is argument for them all: tis a subject for a sovereign to reason on.
    i thought that was danny granger

Dirk is not a whimp. Whimps don't score 37 points in game sevens on the road to eliminate the Spurs. Whimps don't make a three point play at the end of regulation to force overtime.

Rick Carlise is good enough to coach a team to the NBA Finals and win.

The question is, will the Mavs be good enough?

Someone already pointed out the Kidd trade but also Eric Dampier is aging and not worth his salary at all.

With a team like the Trailblazers on the upswing you have to doubt the Mavs roster somewhat. Although the Suns seem to be heading downhill fast I think the Mavs are right behind them.

The Mavs window for winning the championship might be past them. They don't have any up and comers. With Devin Harris there he was youthful and gave some hope. Now with Kidd there and some other older veterans I just doubt they have the group to do it in the rough Western Conference.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Not with their current roster; they need to make some real fly trades to be able to contend with the four teams left today.

The front page of Mavs.com:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Dirk is not a whimp. Whimps don't score 37 points in game sevens on the road to eliminate the Spurs. Whimps don't make a three point play at the end of regulation to force overtime.
    And they sure don't lose 12 of their last 15 playoff games.

Not unless one of Kobe or Chris Paul dies.

woman without a team

Maybe he's not a wimp, but he's not that great either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    And they sure don't lose 12 of their last 15 playoff games.
    Does anyone ever call Kobe a wimp? His first 3 years after Shaq went 1) Missing the playoffs 2) Losing in the first round and 3) Losing in the first round again. Now what if Dirk did that?

Kegboy, do you think Reggie Miller is a wimp? I ask you this because Reggie scored 12 points in Orlando in game 7 1995 ECF's, and 8 points when the Pacers were eliminated in game 6 of the 99 playoffs against New York. Or is he a wimp because the Pacers lost in the first round 4 straight years from 1990-93?

Now, I certainly don't think Reggie is a wimp, but let's flip the tables and imagine that it's Dirk who scores 12 points in a game 7, or 8 points in a game 6 in which his team was facing elimination. He would be chastised and would be labeled the biggest p*ssy to every lace up a pair of sneakers. I don't think it's fair how silly labels are placed on players.

People put such silly generalizations on players. I bet that most people don't even realize that Reggie had such awful games in must win situations for the Paces. All people think about with Reggie is a shot over Jordan (a series the Pacers lost), 25 fourth quarter points (another series the Pacers lost), or the 8 points in 8 seconds. But they don't look at the bad. The same is flip flopped for Dirk. All people look at is is failures, and I bet that very few realize how big a game Dirk had in game 7 against San Antonio 2 years ago.

It's funny that Reggie was labeled a playoff god long before his team went to the finals, and would have retained that label had the Pacers never made it. Yet Dirk put the team on his back in 2006, averaging 27 points in 23 games, and is still labeled a wimp despite taking his team to the finals.

Now I'm a huge Reggie fan, and I could really care less about Dirk. I just think it's funny how people have double standards for players, and how they make rash generalizations on a player based on just a couple of events. People really do turn their eyes.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-10-2008 at 04:01 PM.

woman without a team

The front page of Mavs.com:

I like the picture with Cuban better.

Does anyone ever call Kobe a wimp? His first 3 years after Shaq went 1) Missing the playoffs 2) Losing in the first round and 3) Losing in the first round again. Now what if Dirk did that?

Kegboy, do you think Reggie Miller is a wimp? I ask you this because Reggie scored 12 points in Orlando in game 7 1995 ECF's, and 8 points when the Pacers were eliminated in game 6 of the 99 playoffs against New York. Or is he a wimp because the Pacers lost in the first round 4 straight years from 1990-93?

Now, I certainly don't think Reggie is a wimp, but let's flip the tables and imagine that it's Dirk who scores 12 points in a game 7, or 8 points in a game 6 in which his team was facing elimination. He would be chastised and would be labeled the biggest p*ssy to every lace up a pair of sneakers. I don't think it's fair how silly labels are placed on players.

People put such silly generalizations on players. I bet that most people don't even realize that Reggie had such awful games in must win situations for the Paces. All people think about with Reggie is a shot over Jordan (a series the Pacers lost), 25 fourth quarter points (another series the Pacers lost), or the 8 points in 8 seconds. But they don't look at the bad. The same is flip flopped for Dirk. All people look at is is failures, and I bet that very few realize how big a game Dirk had in game 7 against San Antonio 2 years ago.

It's funny that Reggie was labeled a playoff god long before his team went to the finals, and would have retained that label had the Pacers never made it. Yet Dirk put the team on his back in 2006, averaging 27 points in 23 games, and is still labeled a wimp despite taking his team to the finals.

Now I'm a huge Reggie fan, and I could really care less about Dirk. I just think it's funny how people have double standards for players, and how they make rash generalizations on a player based on just a couple of events. People really do turn their eyes.
    You care less about Dirk, but you've spent the last week pimping him at every turn?

No, I don't think he's a wimp, but he's not the superstar you make him out to be.

I never said he wasn't good... just that he's a whimp. Feel free to disagree, it's just an irrational notion about a player I've never really liked.

You care less about Dirk, but you've spent the last week pimping him at every turn?

No, I don't think he's a wimp, but he's not the superstar you make him out to be.

Dirk is just a perfect player to use as an example when making the point that people make irrational (IMO) generalities about a player.

I wasn't trying to hype him up as being anything more than he is, but rather was trying to dispute the notion that he's a wimp.

I hope Rick gets a championship with them. I have a real soft spot for him because of all the crap he dealt with during his tenure here.

Dirk is just a perfect player to use as an example when making the point that people make irrational (IMO) generalities about a player.

I wasn't trying to hype him up as being anything more than he is, but rather was trying to dispute the notion that he's a wimp.
    Why is it a generality? I'm only speaking of Dirk when I call him a whimp. Do you mean that he is sometimes a jerk and sometimes is not?

Edit: I meant whimp, but jerk is kind of funny, too.

What gets me is how some people talk up Carlisle like he was such a good coach.. yet rewind time back 2-3 years ago and those same people couldn't wait to get rid of him... lol

funny how time clouds people's memories....

I personally thought he was mediocre .. nothing special...

A few of my problems with him ......

1st ... was his very OBVIOUS favortism of certain players ..really sickened me... no matter who was playing good, they got yanked out the game so his starters could go back in.. No rewards system for good play under Carlisle... it was VERY apparent in his tenure here..

. His VERY pisspoor decision making.. For example.. no matter who had a hot hand making everything, and bringing us back from a deficit, as soon as JO or Tinsley got their little rest, he would pull out the player such as Croshere , and it would ONCE AGAIN revert back to the JO / Mel-Mel show .. and we would end up losing..
    Seen it so many times , It made it very unenjoyable for me to watch an Indiana Pacers game.. Cause I would find myself yelling at the TV and my blood pressure shooting through the roof...

also

It really got on my nerves how every damn game he would reach in his pocket and pull out his little grocery list trying to look like he was doing somethin ... damn that irked me so much.. , considering myself already being pretty steamed about the above mentioned scenerio playing out , every game so it seemed...

Ya.. as far as I am concerned..I was jumping for joy when we got rid of Carlisle.. and the way I understand it... When He coached the Piston's ... ALOT of Det. fans I know .. pretty much felt the same way , and couldn't wait to get him out of Detroit.....
    Last edited by Kemo; 05-10-2008 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    What gets me is how some people talk up Carlisle like he was such a good coach.. yet rewind time back 2-3 years ago and those same people couldn't wait to get rid of him... lol

funny how time clouds people's memories....

I personally thought he was mediocre .. nothing special...

A few of my problems with him ......

1st ... was his very OBVIOUS favortism of certain players ..really sickened me... no matter who was playing good, they got yanked out the game so his starters could go back in.. No rewards system for good play under Carlisle... it was VERY apparent in his tenure here..

. His VERY pisspoor decision making.. For example.. no matter who had a hot hand making everything, and bringing us back from a deficit, as soon as JO or Tinsley got their little rest, he would pull out the player such as Croshere , and it would ONCE AGAIN revert back to the JO / Mel-Mel show .. and we would end up losing..
    Seen it so many times , It made it very unenjoyable for me to watch an Indiana Pacers game.. Cause I would find myself yelling at the TV and my blood pressure shooting through the roof...

also

It really got on my nerves how every damn game he would reach in his pocket and pull out his little grocery list trying to look like he was doing somethin ... damn that irked me so much.. , considering myself already being pretty steamed about the above mentioned scenerio playing out , every game so it seemed...

Ya.. as far as I am concerned..I was jumping for joy when we got rid of Carlisle.. and the way I understand it... When He coached the Piston's ... ALOT of Det. fans I know .. pretty much felt the same way , and couldn't wait to get him out of Detroit.....
    True, but his teams were always competitive. I don't know about you, but I miss winning. I had my moments of frustration with Carlisle, but I wasn't one that wanted him to go, I was just one that realized that maybe the time change at his position was needed. I think we would have won more games this season had we kept him because one thing his teams didn't do was jack up three's at random unnecessary times. Nothing against O'Brien because I think he's a good coach, but I think that's an aspect of his game plan that screws us more than it helps us.