Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

Mood

Default David Morway is the new Pacers GM

Thanks to Cherokee for posting this in another thread!

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...of_the_pacers/

Press Release -
    The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday that David Morway has been promoted to General Manager of the team.

Morway, who has been with the Pacers 10 years, has been serving as Senior Vice President/Basketball Operations for the team, overseeing the day-to-day operation and administration of the Basketball Division. As General Manager, he will retain his current duties and will assume additional responsibilities of overseeing salary cap issues as well as assisting Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird with all personnel decisions.

“I’m very happy to have David by my side,” said Bird. “This newly-expanded role maximizes David’s skills and experience and I’m confident we have the knowledge and resources to get the Pacers to the level we expect, our owners expect and our fans expect.”

Added Morway, “This is a great opportunity and a dream come true for myself and my family. I’ve enjoyed working with Larry for the last five years and I’m looking forward to continuing this relationship. Having been with the franchise for 10 years I know what the expectations are and what the Pacers mean to the city and the state. I can promise that we will work diligently to help fulfill those expectations. I’m excited about the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead for us.”

-------------------------------

Fine by me. It'd seem wrong to not at least offer it to him. I know he's the reason we got the trade exception/exemption for Peja (now what we DID with it.....).

Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

I like this.

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LB now had a Padawan.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So explain me who gets dibs on decisionmaking..it goes Simon, Bird, Morway, correct?

Mood

I think Bird's supposed to lead the decison making, but Simon will be involved and can veto, while Morway will probably do most of the paperwork and phone calls.

Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.
    In other news, everyone dies one day.

Yeah, I wonder how much this really means? Bird really still has the ultimate control.

I disagree. The Pacers are getting their house in order. Until that was done, the disarray would have continued here.

Thank God. This is what should have been done five years ago.

We've been in the playoffs 17 times in the last 20 years with two sub-par years in a row. I don't get where you think this is a flawed franchise. Up untill these last two seasons we were the second most consistent team in recent history behind San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    We've been in the playoffs 17 times in the last 20 years with two sub-par years in a row. I don't get where you think this is a flawed franchise. Up untill these last two seasons we were the second most consistent team in recent history behind San Antonio.
    He's got, 'What have you done for me lately syndrome.'

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    He's got, 'What have you done for me lately syndrome.'
    I couldn't agree more. By some of the talk around the forum the last year or so, It would sound like the Pacers have the same long term track record of the Clippers or Hawks.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I couldn't agree more. By some of the talk around the forum the last year or so, It would sound like the Pacers have the same long term track record of the Clippers or Hawks.
    Please excuse me.

We're DOOMED.

OK, I'm done.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    You can say that again.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

I disagree.......unless Morway received a significantly huge pay increase that equals the cost to hire a totally new GM....it looks like he'll be doing what he used to do...while doing the GM work as well.

The way I look at it....the Pacers got a new GM by doing it the old-fashioned way.....by being cheapskates when finding a GM....they hired from within.......gave more work for Morway to do ( his new GM duties ) on top of whatever he was doing before.....and in the process....saved a boatload of $$$ that would have added to the Operating Cost of the Franchise.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Yeah, I wonder how much this really means? Bird really still has the ultimate control.
    All it really means is that David Morway got a pay raise.

Btw, I call dibs on the following:

- "If it's a good move, it's Morway; if it's bad, it's Larry."

-"Larry has final say, so it's ultimately his fault."

- "Larry gave Morway the job, so he's as much to blame, if not more so."

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Does this mean Morway is the adult Boomer now?

I think it is just a title change. In fact I believe that when Simon announced the new responsibility list he mention Morway would take care of the legal and contract aspects.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    You can say that again.
    Agree. But I'm not sure why we need Larry Bird. We have an active owner and a GM... what's Larry's job again?

Wasn't our problem that we had too many cooks?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I disagree.......unless Morway received a significantly huge pay increase that equals the cost to hire a totally new GM....it looks like he'll be doing what he used to do...while doing the GM work as well.

The way I look at it....the Pacers got a new GM by doing it the old-fashioned way.....by being cheapskates when finding a GM....they hired from within.......gave more work for Morway to do ( his new GM duties ) on top of whatever he was doing before.....and in the process....saved a boatload of $$$ that would have added to the Operating Cost of the Franchise.
    Yep.

That's basically it. The Warriors did a somewhat similar thing. Mullin has long been VP of BBall operations or whatever you want to call it. Basically he's what Bird is.

Rod Higgins was GM (or what Morway is as of today). Then during last summer, Higgins took off to Charlotte to work for his good buddy MJ.

What do the Warriors do? They don't hire anyone in the summer initially. Then in August, they promote Pete D’Alessandro from Director of Basketball Ops to Assistant GM. And make note of the word "Assistant". That word in the title probably saves the owner some money. As far as titles go, the Warriors don't even have a "full" GM.

So Morway probably does a few new things on top of what he's already been doing and gets a pay raise for it. And it probably saves the Simons some $ from having to hire a totally new GM on top of still having Morway. Like you said, hiring/promoting from within saves $.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    So Morway probably does a few new things on top of what he's already been doing and gets a pay raise for it. And it probably saves the Simons some $ from having to hire a totally new GM on top of still having Morway. Like you said, hiring/promoting from within saves $.
    Why hire at all? Am I the only one stuck on this?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    So explain me who gets dibs on decisionmaking..it goes Simon, Bird, Morway, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I think Bird's supposed to lead the decison making, but Simon will be involved and can veto, while Morway will probably do most of the paperwork and phone calls.
    What?

I thought the whole purpose for Herb Simon taking over Donnie Walsh's old job was so that Herb would be more involved with Pacers basketball operations and policies and be the ultimate decision maker. Moreover, wasn't one of the primary reasons behind Walsh leaving was to clarify Bird's role as the "go-to-guy" concerning all things basketball as they relate to the Pacers? I mean, what's the point of promoting Morway to GM if essentially Bird is the "GM", i.e., Pres. of Basketball Operations (PBO). Can somebody - anybody - explain to be what's the difference between these two titles - PBO -vs- GM - within the Pacers' organization? Because I just don't get it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Nope. I'm just as confused as you are, my friend.

I can understand the cost savings measure by hiring from within, but if Morway will continuing to perform essentially the same duties as he did before his so-called "promotion", why not merely change his job description, give him a slight pay increase and leave it at that? From my perspective which apparently is shared by a few others, this move makes no sense. By most poster's account, Morway will basically be Bird's errand boy/consultant, but that's only an internal perspective. Externally, GM and PBO could be construed as the same thing which would once again lend itself to the same level of confusion other team GM's had when Walsh was here, i.e., do I talk to Bird about this or Walsh? Only now it's "do I talk to Bird or Morway".

Edit: This link to the updated press release clarifies things alittle. Basically, Morway will be Bird's "legal beagle". He'll review player contracts to ensure they're on the up-and-up, i.e, ensure they're in the Pacers' best interest and that they don't "over-extend" the team so that they won't have any repeats of "bloated" contracts that make it difficult to move players when they want (that's my read of his revised duties anyway). Now, Morway's promotion makes more sense.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 05-07-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Because there are things aside from speaking proper English Larry cannot do.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."