Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

  1. #1
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Thanks to Cherokee for posting this in another thread!

    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...of_the_pacers/

    Press Release -
    The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday that David Morway has been promoted to General Manager of the team.

    Morway, who has been with the Pacers 10 years, has been serving as Senior Vice President/Basketball Operations for the team, overseeing the day-to-day operation and administration of the Basketball Division. As General Manager, he will retain his current duties and will assume additional responsibilities of overseeing salary cap issues as well as assisting Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird with all personnel decisions.

    “I’m very happy to have David by my side,” said Bird. “This newly-expanded role maximizes David’s skills and experience and I’m confident we have the knowledge and resources to get the Pacers to the level we expect, our owners expect and our fans expect.”

    Added Morway, “This is a great opportunity and a dream come true for myself and my family. I’ve enjoyed working with Larry for the last five years and I’m looking forward to continuing this relationship. Having been with the franchise for 10 years I know what the expectations are and what the Pacers mean to the city and the state. I can promise that we will work diligently to help fulfill those expectations. I’m excited about the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead for us.”

    -------------------------------

    Fine by me. It'd seem wrong to not at least offer it to him. I know he's the reason we got the trade exception/exemption for Peja (now what we DID with it.....).

  2. #2
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    I like this.

    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  3. #3
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    LB now had a Padawan.

  4. #4
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,470

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    So explain me who gets dibs on decisionmaking..it goes Simon, Bird, Morway, correct?

  5. #5
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    I think Bird's supposed to lead the decison making, but Simon will be involved and can veto, while Morway will probably do most of the paperwork and phone calls.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.

  7. #7
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.
    In other news, everyone dies one day.

  8. #8

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Yeah, I wonder how much this really means? Bird really still has the ultimate control.

  9. #9
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,747

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.
    I disagree. The Pacers are getting their house in order. Until that was done, the disarray would have continued here.

  10. #10
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Thank God. This is what should have been done five years ago.

  11. #11
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.
    We've been in the playoffs 17 times in the last 20 years with two sub-par years in a row. I don't get where you think this is a flawed franchise. Up untill these last two seasons we were the second most consistent team in recent history behind San Antonio.

  12. #12
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've been in the playoffs 17 times in the last 20 years with two sub-par years in a row. I don't get where you think this is a flawed franchise. Up untill these last two seasons we were the second most consistent team in recent history behind San Antonio.
    He's got, 'What have you done for me lately syndrome.'

  13. #13
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's got, 'What have you done for me lately syndrome.'
    I couldn't agree more. By some of the talk around the forum the last year or so, It would sound like the Pacers have the same long term track record of the Clippers or Hawks.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  14. #14
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't agree more. By some of the talk around the forum the last year or so, It would sound like the Pacers have the same long term track record of the Clippers or Hawks.
    Please excuse me.

    We're DOOMED.

    OK, I'm done.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  15. #15
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank God. This is what should have been done five years ago.
    You can say that again.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  16. #16
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,369

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.
    I disagree.......unless Morway received a significantly huge pay increase that equals the cost to hire a totally new GM....it looks like he'll be doing what he used to do...while doing the GM work as well.

    The way I look at it....the Pacers got a new GM by doing it the old-fashioned way.....by being cheapskates when finding a GM....they hired from within.......gave more work for Morway to do ( his new GM duties ) on top of whatever he was doing before.....and in the process....saved a boatload of $$$ that would have added to the Operating Cost of the Franchise.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I wonder how much this really means? Bird really still has the ultimate control.
    All it really means is that David Morway got a pay raise.

  18. #18
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Btw, I call dibs on the following:

    - "If it's a good move, it's Morway; if it's bad, it's Larry."

    -"Larry has final say, so it's ultimately his fault."

    - "Larry gave Morway the job, so he's as much to blame, if not more so."

    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  19. #19

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Does this mean Morway is the adult Boomer now?

    I think it is just a title change. In fact I believe that when Simon announced the new responsibility list he mention Morway would take care of the legal and contract aspects.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  20. #20
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can say that again.
    Agree. But I'm not sure why we need Larry Bird. We have an active owner and a GM... what's Larry's job again?

    Wasn't our problem that we had too many cooks?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  21. #21
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Thank God. This is what should have been done five years ago.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree.......unless Morway received a significantly huge pay increase that equals the cost to hire a totally new GM....it looks like he'll be doing what he used to do...while doing the GM work as well.

    The way I look at it....the Pacers got a new GM by doing it the old-fashioned way.....by being cheapskates when finding a GM....they hired from within.......gave more work for Morway to do ( his new GM duties ) on top of whatever he was doing before.....and in the process....saved a boatload of $$$ that would have added to the Operating Cost of the Franchise.
    Yep.

    That's basically it. The Warriors did a somewhat similar thing. Mullin has long been VP of BBall operations or whatever you want to call it. Basically he's what Bird is.

    Rod Higgins was GM (or what Morway is as of today). Then during last summer, Higgins took off to Charlotte to work for his good buddy MJ.

    What do the Warriors do? They don't hire anyone in the summer initially. Then in August, they promote Pete D’Alessandro from Director of Basketball Ops to Assistant GM. And make note of the word "Assistant". That word in the title probably saves the owner some money. As far as titles go, the Warriors don't even have a "full" GM.

    So Morway probably does a few new things on top of what he's already been doing and gets a pay raise for it. And it probably saves the Simons some $ from having to hire a totally new GM on top of still having Morway. Like you said, hiring/promoting from within saves $.

  23. #23
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Morway probably does a few new things on top of what he's already been doing and gets a pay raise for it. And it probably saves the Simons some $ from having to hire a totally new GM on top of still having Morway. Like you said, hiring/promoting from within saves $.
    Why hire at all? Am I the only one stuck on this?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  24. #24

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So explain me who gets dibs on decisionmaking..it goes Simon, Bird, Morway, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I wonder how much this really means? Bird really still has the ultimate control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Bird's supposed to lead the decison making, but Simon will be involved and can veto, while Morway will probably do most of the paperwork and phone calls.
    What?

    I thought the whole purpose for Herb Simon taking over Donnie Walsh's old job was so that Herb would be more involved with Pacers basketball operations and policies and be the ultimate decision maker. Moreover, wasn't one of the primary reasons behind Walsh leaving was to clarify Bird's role as the "go-to-guy" concerning all things basketball as they relate to the Pacers? I mean, what's the point of promoting Morway to GM if essentially Bird is the "GM", i.e., Pres. of Basketball Operations (PBO). Can somebody - anybody - explain to be what's the difference between these two titles - PBO -vs- GM - within the Pacers' organization? Because I just don't get it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why hire at all? Am I the only one stuck on this?
    Nope. I'm just as confused as you are, my friend.

    I can understand the cost savings measure by hiring from within, but if Morway will continuing to perform essentially the same duties as he did before his so-called "promotion", why not merely change his job description, give him a slight pay increase and leave it at that? From my perspective which apparently is shared by a few others, this move makes no sense. By most poster's account, Morway will basically be Bird's errand boy/consultant, but that's only an internal perspective. Externally, GM and PBO could be construed as the same thing which would once again lend itself to the same level of confusion other team GM's had when Walsh was here, i.e., do I talk to Bird about this or Walsh? Only now it's "do I talk to Bird or Morway".

    Edit: This link to the updated press release clarifies things alittle. Basically, Morway will be Bird's "legal beagle". He'll review player contracts to ensure they're on the up-and-up, i.e, ensure they're in the Pacers' best interest and that they don't "over-extend" the team so that they won't have any repeats of "bloated" contracts that make it difficult to move players when they want (that's my read of his revised duties anyway). Now, Morway's promotion makes more sense.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 05-07-2008 at 08:44 PM.

  25. #25

    Default Re: David Morway is the new Pacers GM

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why hire at all? Am I the only one stuck on this?
    Because there are things aside from speaking proper English Larry cannot do.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
  2. IBJ: A "real" sports town wouldn't abandon the Pacers
    By Putnam in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 11:00 PM
  3. Oprah's "Boyfriend" Gives Advice To Pacers
    By SamBear in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
  4. What is wrong with the Pacers' management?
    By Putnam in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 10:50 AM
  5. "Pacers Caught in a Tough Place" - Mike Wells
    By JayRedd in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 12:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •