Thread: More on Kevin Martin

Default More on Kevin Martin

I saw this posting on the indystar board...somewhat interesting if it is true. It sounds like others are on to Kevin Martin I was hoping he would be another Jamaal Tinsely steal from the draft. I think we got Tinsely for Atlanta at 26 or something)....who knows....

More on Kevin Martin

We headed over to the Multiplex (where the infamous Pavel Podkolzine workout took place last year) for a workout with Kevin Martin.

Teams picking all over the draft were represented thereóthe Clippers, Lakers (GM Kupchack), Supersonics (Coach McMillan and President Wally Walker), Mavericks, Heat, Trailblazers, Spurs, Nuggets and maybe some others that we didnít recognize as well.

Martin was matched up with Kenny Lowe from Purdue, who was the Big 10 Defensive player of the year two years in a row from what I was told.

They started off with some drills-- ball-handling skills to show off his quickness and then rebounding and dunking under the basket to show off his hops and how fast he gets off the floor.

Martin should be smiling after his performance.
    His shooting was off and on during the workout, but other then that he was by far the most impressive player Iíve seen in Chicago so far. Having seen him in the past, I already knew just how athletic he is, but most of these teams it seems didnít. As you can see in the video, he is extremely fluid and gets off the floor in the blink of an eye and just soars. Needless to say, he threw down some very nice dunks at the workout, but even more impressive were the 1 on 1 drills on both offense and defense where Martin just tore up poor Kenny Lowe without any mercy at all. I probably wonít be sold on his defense until I see him go up against NBA caliber shooting guards, but the kid obviously has fantastic footwork and quickness to go along with his size (6-7 Ĺ), which will help him out immensely.

Martin has solidly moved himself into the first round now with his showing today, just how high he can go now depends on his workouts from here on. With so many teams looking for shooting guards from 13-26 in the draft, he could easily get closer to that 13th pick if he continues to impress as much as he did today.

owl

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: More on Kevin Martin

that's from the draftcity scouting report

http://www.draftcity.com/articles/0039.htm

there's a link to video highlights halfway down the page too.

he doesn't look quite like reggie at all in real life

but watch him curl from the baseline

the page also contains info on other players at the pre-draft camp as well...

He certainly looks pretty quick on the drive, if he has a few good private workouts we might see him go before he gets down to us.

Sounds like Ha Seung-Jin is a bit of a stiff at this point, and a couple Portsmouth camp guys are doing pretty well [Vroman and Farmer, Farmer being the one I singled out as my favourite]
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since I work out at the Multiplex at lunch time, I'll see if I can get any other 'scoop' while the prospects are still in town.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Kenny's 6'2", I wouldn't get too excited about a 6'7" guy having his way with him, no matter how good a defender Kenny is.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Kenny's 6'2", I wouldn't get too excited about a 6'7" guy having his way with him, no matter how good a defender Kenny is.
    ACTUALLY, KLowe is a tough enough defender that IF he really was lighting him up, I"D be impressed. Kenny is about as good as it gets on defense. Defensive player of the year in the Big 10 that past 2 years. Typically does an Artest on whoever he guards, they just don't score.
    And he's 6'3".
    I went to Purdue, so I've seen Kenny play quite a bit. Yes, he's a very good defender, but you have to factor in who he guards. He's taken over a couple games defensively, but I wouldn't be bringing up Ron's name. I'd compare him defensively to a slower, bulkier Eric Snow, who himself was DPOY back in his college days, or even a smaller Fred Jones for that matter.

Yes, I know Kenny's listed at 6'3", but that seems a bit tall. I expect that's being fudged a bit. I've never seen him play well against a guy as tall as Martin.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Well as of now Kevin will be taken before we pick.

What do you guys think of Victor Khryapa?