Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: A question

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,830

    Default A question

    I've been mulling this over in my head for awhile now and I want some feedback from other people.

    How much, if at all, did the complaining to the referee's after almost ever call bother you when it came to the Pacers circa 2001 - 2006?

    Basically the new league rules in 07 ended some of the complaining and last seasons team didn't do to bad.

    But I'm talking about the Thomas through Carlisle years?

    Yes, yes we all know Reggie Miller b@tched and moaned more than almost any man alive and ye was properly chastized back in the day by some of us.

    Anyway I'll stop talking and just read.

  2. #2
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: A quesiton

    It bothered me a great deal.

    I so desperately wanted to be a JO fan, but this aspect alone made me cool on him. It was the first step in the other direction. And now I lean WAY in the other direction. I can barely stand the sight of the guy's picture.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  3. #3
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: A quesiton

    I've always disliked it! I don't care if a guy shows emotion after a call. However, I've always thought it dumb to complain to a ref.

    People being people they are just as likely to call something close the other way just because they don't like the bellyaching.

    And I've yet to see one change his call because a player complained.

  4. #4
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: A quesiton

    I find it incredibly annoying. Just a waste of time. It ain't like the refs would ever change their mind and it's only detrimental to your team: 1) you get a tech; 2) you don't run back on D (I know, I know); and/or 3) it gets you increasingly frustrated.

    That being said however, anything that Rasheed Wallace says to the refs is cool with me.

  5. #5
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: A question

    I've always hated it. I remember getting really mad at Brad for not getting back on defense because he was too busy complaining to the referee.

  6. #6
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: A question

    Philosophically I'm against it, but as a spectator I can tolerate it to a degree, but if a player does it a lot, I'd better like them a lot for other reasons or I will be very turned off.

  7. #7
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: A question

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Philosophically I'm against it, but as a spectator I can tolerate it to a degree, but if a player does it a lot, I'd better like them a lot for other reasons or I will be very turned off.
    What about guys like Tim Duncan?

  8. #8

    Default Re: A question

    I wouldn't say I like it, but I care a lot more if the team loses than whines.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 05-07-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  9. #9
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: A question

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about guys like Tim Duncan?
    I like him for other reasons. Enough so that I can look the other way (well, mostly) at his whining.

  10. #10
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: A question

    It didn't bother me at all. But then again I hate most refs lol. I have a bit of a temper when I play myself and mouth at the refs when they screw up. So I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite.

  11. #11
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,671

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: A question

    What bothers me is if the arguing with the refs continue while the rest of the team is hustling to the other end to get back on defense.

    Obviously....SJax was most known for this.

    Since I did not watch that many early Pacer games with Reggie arguing with the Refs....was it the same thing....would he argue with the Ref DURING the play?

    or

    Did Reggie argue with Refs AFTER the play ended?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  12. #12
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,932

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A question

    It doesn't really bother me if the call is really, really awful. I would say only about 15% or so of calls I see on TV are worth complaining. But it seems that someone is pissing and moaning no matter how good or bad the call is. So usually, it does get on my nerves.

  13. #13
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,783

    Default Re: A question

    depends on the call, the mannor and how long,

    last monday night in out roster game the ref was a shocker and a couple times the ball clearly went out of the other team and i made a couple of comments... but allways with one eye open towwards where the ball was, i know it wasen't gonna make difference , he wasen't gonna change it and the game was blowing out, but still, coulden't help myself...

    complaints like that aren't to bad i feel, it's the guys when they take an iffy iffy shot and miss and go come on that was a foul, there the ones that I'm like arrgghhh sometimes ya get fouled but sometimes it's just an average shot and you shoulden't get rewarded for out of control or average shots...


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  14. #14
    Next stop June 2015
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,079

    Default Re: A question

    To me, this is about JO.

    I think a certain amount of interaction is appropriate, but not the JO-like whining we all know and love.

    Several years ago, JO was my favorite player. I still have more JO gear than any other Pacer merchandise. I thought the guy would be another Duncan or Garnett. In any event, JO's bobble head is now shoved into a drawer face down and I don't care for what he has represented for years now. Basically, things changed due to two things, one of which was the incessant whining to the officials. The other was him yapping and never, ever backing it up. I'd rather watch a loser with his mouth shut than someone unable to back up his multiple promises.

    Yes, the whining is something I don't miss with him off the court. Even now he no longer complains too much which is an improvement.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A question

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What bothers me is if the arguing with the refs continue while the rest of the team is hustling to the other end to get back on defense.

    Obviously....SJax was most known for this.

    Since I did not watch that many early Pacer games with Reggie arguing with the Refs....was it the same thing....would he argue with the Ref DURING the play?

    or

    Did Reggie argue with Refs AFTER the play ended?
    Reggie always argued with the refs but he kept playing. His typical "complaint" when the ball was in play was to throw his arms up in the air (the NFL touchdown signal) while getting back on D. Then he'd pull the ref aside later when the clock stopped.

    Very different from what, say, Jalen Rose used to do which was stand in the backcourt and argue while the other team went back on a 3-on-2 fast break.

    I don't like all the whining about calls that goes on - it seems like nobody ever just accepts a call today. Even if they don't say anything they go into a facial contortion that looks like they're having a seizure. I've pretty much decided we all have to live with it though.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  16. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,988

    Default Re: A question

    I think we first need to differentiate between the Isiah years and the Carlisle years. Because it decreased once Rick took over - it was still pretty bad because a lot of bad habbits had to be broken.

    My attitude about it is simple. I don't mind the players complaining when they are correct about a call. When a ref makes a mistake, I have no problem with the players complaining.

    What I hate is when players complain about every call even the obvious ones when the ref is correct

  17. #17
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,470

    Default Re: A question

    It almost makes the game unwatchable. It seems like when one player does it and the
    coach does not address it, then it spreads like a virus to the other team members.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  18. #18
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: A question

    I watched part of the pistons - magic game the other night.

    The amount of *****ing and complaining was a huge turn-off.

    It's like these guys NEVER commit a foul. Ever.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,800

    Default Re: A question

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because it decreased once Rick took over -
    I'm not so sure about that. Of course Jackson had been added to the mix, and he alone increased the complaining.

  20. #20
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: A question

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been mulling this over in my head for awhile now and I want some feedback from other people.

    How much, if at all, did the complaining to the referee's after almost ever call bother you when it came to the Pacers circa 2001 - 2006?

    Basically the new league rules in 07 ended some of the complaining and last seasons team didn't do to bad.

    But I'm talking about the Thomas through Carlisle years?

    Yes, yes we all know Reggie Miller b@tched and moaned more than almost any man alive and ye was properly chastized back in the day by some of us.

    Anyway I'll stop talking and just read.
    Moderately. It was nowhere near the dealbreaker it was for you, but that doesn't mean I just thought it was no big deal. Sometimes you can see the justification in losing your cool, that's why Reggie, Dale, Tony, etc did.

    In fact Rik getting mugged and just taking it was seen as a negative, at some point you have to demand respect.

    But as you imply with the question you don't want it to come at the expense of winning the game. And if you can establish a good interaction with the ref you're going to win your case a lot more. Of course like all people some refs are going to react better to intimidation than pleasantries. That's part of being a vet, knowing how to deal with guys.

    This is why I would defend Jack. I didn't like him not getting back, but other than that I didn't mind him losing his cool at times because he was also the most likely guy to politely interact with a ref. Depended on the night. I've long ago posted photos of times when it was Jackson stepping in as the reasoned voice as another player flipped out. AJ was one of those flipping out when Jack came in and calmed both he and the ref down.

    To me that was the Reggie style, he'd flip out but he could also show the friendly side. I don't think JO, Tins or Ron were very good at that. I don't think they were very good at having an issue and being calm about it. Jack was just 50-50 and like the rest of his game this was erratic. If he could always use the cool approach you'd love him...well, if he got back on D too.


    The corollary with this is stuff like flopping which I think the core teams avoided too. So their attitude to me was more like "the NBA is rough, let us play". I like that a lot more than the guys that are just always begging for calls from a soft standpoint.

    BTW, the game changing didn't fix JO, he started improving this years ago. It's just taken time for the reputation to die, as all reps are want to do.


    Tinsley's "And 1 MFer" habit is really a joke. Get back to me when he drives the lane and DOESN'T shout this. Enough already. Even if it's trash talk, it's overused and weak.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 05-08-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. DA_SMASH - General Forum Question
    By Twes in forum Feedback
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 04:25 PM
  2. Ask the Pacers} Question for Jeff Foster.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 12:18 AM
  3. A question the Shaq trade has brought to mind
    By Tom White in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 03:31 PM
  4. Battery - electrical question
    By Unclebuck in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 12:22 AM
  5. A question for Kstat, Fool, etc....
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •