Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the suns will do better without D'Antoni

Default Do you think the suns will do better without D'Antoni

UPDATE:
    On espnnews they just said D'Antoni expected to be named the new Bulls head coach

Ive been thinking about this lately,how do you think the suns will do without D'Antoni?.I mean I cant really think of anyone on that team that would really thrive in an defensive-minded set.I guess you have Raja Bell and that Strawberry kid,but if you look at it noone on that team is a real defensive stopper unless they can sign Artest somehow.

So my question to you is,would they be better without D'Antoni?,People may say that a team just needs to hear a new voice sometime (sounds familiar to a certain team close to our hearts).

And some people may say it doesnt matter who they get in there,but they need to do something because D'Antoni's system clearly isnt doing the job.
    Last edited by Brian; 05-06-2008 at 03:02 PM.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Do you think the suns will do better without D'Antoni

I think it's clouded because of the age on Nash-Shaq, plus Marion gone. I've never bought into D'Antoni's system being the key. They stunk with just Amare-Marion despite the two of them putting up nice numbers. Suddenly D'Antoni's system takes off when Nash gets into town?

I don't think he's a bad coach either, just that his players left him overrated. He shouldn't have been run out of PHX (which seems to be the case) either, he's neither the problem nor the cure.

I do think he could guide other teams into the 45+ win range.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It depends on who they get to replace him.

I think the Suns' window may be closed, and if not, it's closing very fast. I'd give it one more run with the current core and then tear it down.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

It is probably time for a change there. Their biggest problem is the age of Shaq, Nash and Hill - and a very weak bench.

But if I were a huge Suns fan, I would say a coahcing change will likely help - may not be absolutely needed, but better to be a year early then a year late

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think they'll fare worse next season because of their aging core and the physical toll D'Antoni's system has left on them. I wonder how Grant Hill played in that system at all sometimes with his paper ankle. If I were the Suns I would begin to rebuild now, but they'll probably have another go at it.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder how the Suns feel right now about giving away all of those draft picks the last couple of seasons.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder how the Suns feel right now about giving away all of those draft picks the last couple of seasons.
    I thought that was stupid when they did it. If they're going to be small minded about the draft, at least draft some guys and keep them in Europe so they're not on the payroll, who knows, they might turn out to be decent. I'd rather do that than flat out give away a pick that could possibly make another team stronger.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

I don't know if they'll be better or worse, but I'll tell you one thing. The notion that Chicago is perfect for him is ludicrous. To go from Nash to Hinrich will kill him. Wilbon said something similar a little while back: "Chicago doesn't have a point guard."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Nope. This is very tough to gauge, as his successor will have a "different" team, even if it means they just got older/ wiser.

Even though it was 4-1, that series was a few makes/ misses away from being a 7 gamer. I didn't see D'A make any really bad coaching decisions, though some of the Armchair Coach nominees can chime in.

With a coaching change, I'd see 20% improvement, 30% about the same, 50% worse.

streets ahead

i don't blame d'antoni for the suns decline. i don't blame steve kerr either. i didn't necessarily think the shaq trade was going to work but i think it was a move kerr probably had to make so they could get something for marion (which ended up being dumping banks' contract). i completely and whole-heartedly blame the owner. selling and giving away all those cheap draft picks was insane at the time and even more so in hindsight. i

so will they be better without d'antoni? i suppose it depends who they get to coach the team but i kind of doubt they'll get better. but with an aging nash and shaq, with a thin bench, i don't think d'antoni could do much more with this squad either. the team either has to blow it up and keep d'antoni or let d'antoni move on -- and it seems like kerr would prefer to do the latter.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 05-06-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: sorry anthem
    This is the darkest timeline.

Kerr decided D'Antoni's style wasn't going to cut it when he traded for Shaq. After that trade, there was no point to keeping the him.

It really depends on who they get as their next head coach assuming D'Antoni isn't retained. Teams tend to take on the style of their coach assuming the coach can get the players who fit his coaching style.

The only problem with the Suns under D'Antoni was they didn't have enough defense to stop most teams. I suspect they didn't have much defense because D' believed he could counted most team's defense with the Sun's better offense. But as we've seen a high scoring offense works fine during the regular season, but not very well during the post-season. Had the Suns been able to keep Joe Johnson or Sawn Marion and acquired Shaq I think they would have gone farther in the post-season.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    i don't blame steve kerr either. i don't blame steve kerr either.
    You can say that again!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    You can say that again!
    i don't know what happened. i don't know what happened.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Mood

I hope most people think Hinrich isn't a PG. I think if we could get him relatively cheap, it would work out well for us because I see him doing very well for O'Brien's offense.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Ok if you have not read Simmons article on the Suns then you should.

They were so close to winning it all. They were one broken eye socket away from a dynasty.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I hope most people think Hinrich isn't a PG. I think if we could get him relatively cheap, it would work out well for us because I see him doing very well for O'Brien's offense.

He's not a PG. If you think he is then I've got some ocean front property in AZ you might be interested in buying.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    He's not a PG. If you think he is then I've got some ocean front property in AZ you might be interested in buying.
    Can't be less of one than Flip Murray. I'd care to say he's more of one than Flip. That's all this offense needs; it doesn't need a traditional PG. It needs someone who can shoot and play defense, and at least be average at dribbling/passing.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Can't be less of one than Flip Murray. I'd care to say he's more of one than Flip. That's all this offense needs; it doesn't need a traditional PG. It needs someone who can shoot and play defense, and at least be average at dribbling/passing.

O.K, but don't expect him to be a team leader. He's better at being a PG.

Mood

Fine by me. I'd like Danny to be the leader anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    O.K, but don't expect him to be a team leader. He's better at being a quitter.
    Fixed. Guy's a bum. As low of an opinion as I have of Larry, I still don't see him wanting someone like that running his team.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Phoenix has a good team, they just need defensive players to hold down the D. And they're bench does suck
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Fixed. Guy's a bum. As low of an opinion as I have of Larry, I still don't see him wanting someone like that running his team.
    Guy has one bad year while still being young and manning the hardest position in the league to learn, and all of a sudden he's a bum? You don't think it might have something to do with having the egos of Ty Thomas, Ben Gordon and either Ben Wallace or Larry Hughes on the team?

I think he's a good PG in most systems, and I think he'd be a fantastic PG in O'Brien's system.

I love this, we could really low-ball Chicago for Hinrich, couldn't we?

Would they do a Hinrich, Gooden and Sefalosha for Dunleavy, Marquis, Ike trade?
    Last edited by rexnom; 05-07-2008 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I love this, we could really low-ball Chicago for Hinrich, couldn't we?

Would they do a Hinrich, Gooden and Sefalosha for Dunleavy, Marquis, Ike trade?
    My personal opinion is that if they traded Hinrich, D'Antoni would have a fit. Contrary to popular belief, D'Antoni's system doesn't need some transition wizard or anything. All he needs is 5 guys who can handle the ball, make the right pass, and, most importantly, are good shooters.

O'Brien is basically trying to run D'Antoni's system, just at a slower pace with more defense.