Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,830

    Default JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    I am somewhat shocked that JMV beat Eddie and Kravitz. I figured the curiousity factor plus the established AM 1070 listeners would push Eddie and Bob ahead of JMV.

    Indianapolis cannot support three sports radio stations - maybe not even 2. Most cities have at least one all sports stations in the top 10 of the ratings.

    Looks like Greg Rakestraw better start looking for a new job. - His show and station didn't even get enough mentions to make the ratings list. ouch



    http://www.indy.com/posts/7856


    For those interested in the JMV vs. Kravitz & Eddie battle:

    Sports radio stations WNDE-AM (1260) and WFNI-AM (1070) shaped up as worthy rivals during their first ratings battle.

    According to winter Arbitron statistics released Monday, Emmis Communications property WFNI edged Clear Channel's WNDE among listeners ages 12 and older. WFNI attracted 2,300 listeners per average 15-minute segment, while WNDE attracted 2,000.

    WNDE can claim bragging rights in the afternoon, however, where its local host, John "JMV" Michael, posted bigger numbers than WFNI's team of Eddie White and Star columnist Bob Kravitz. Michael's show attracted 4,700 listeners per average 15-minute segment between 3 and 7 p.m. weekdays.

    WFNI attracted 3,700 during the same time period. The White and Kravitz show airs from 3 to 6 p.m., followed by a variety of programming.


    "We're incredibly enthusiastic about JMV's showing," said Buzz Casey, operations manager for Clear Channel in Indianapolis. Emmis vice president and general manager Tom Severino said he anticipates more dueling between the stations in coming months.

    "I think we've created a better sports market than existed prior to Jan. 7," said Severino, noting the day WFNI debuted.

    The AM dial's third sports station, WXLW-AM (950) failed to collect enough mentions in written Arbitron diaries to be listed in the winter ratings.

    David Lindquist on May 06, '08 at 12:49 PM




    WIBC surges in ratings; WFMS still No. 1
    by David Lindquist Comments (5) E-mail Share
    Send to a friend
    Your e-mail address

    Their e-mail address

    Cancel
    Posted: May 06, 2008 in Music

    Tags: radio
    Log In to rate this post


    (0 Results)

    News and talk station WIBC gained listeners during its first three months at FM radio frequency 93.1, jumping from No. 5 to No. 2 in Arbitron ratings. Still, its success fell short of country station WFMS-FM (95.5) -- which topped quarterly rankings among Indianapolis stations for the 36th consecutive time.

    WIBC, owned by Emmis Communications, moved from AM to FM in December. Vice president and general manager Tom Severino said the station accomplished a goal of attracting younger listeners who spend little time tuned to the AM band.

    "We haven't been second in the market in the 14 years I've been here," he said.

    Cumulus Media, which owns top-ranked WFMS, didn't fare as well with its new station at FM frequency 93.9. The "Warm" format of soft rock placed 25th among 25 stations mentioned in written diaries kept by listeners ages 12 and older.

    The 93.9 number has been unlucky for country music (dumped in 2001), '80s nostalgia (dumped in 2004), Christian music (dumped in 2006) and conservative talk (dumped in 2007).

    In a battle between two sports radio stations, new Emmis property WFNI-AM (1070) placed 16th (in a tie with Spanish-language WEDJ-FM), while WNDE-AM (1260) -- Clear Channel's long-running sports entry -- filled the next slot at No. 18.

    The winter ratings period began Jan. 10 and ended April 2. The Indianapolis market population includes 1.35 million listeners.

    Arbitron figures, which are used to assign advertising rates, are determined by the number of people who tune in to a station during a week and the amount of time they spend listening.

    During the winter ratings period, WFMS reached 266,500 listeners a week. For an average 15-minute segment, 18,000 people tuned in.

    Most-listened-to stations
    Rankings based on written diaries of listeners 12 and older for winter 2008:

    WFMS-FM (95.5): 18,000 listeners per average 15-minute segment (13,200 in fall 2007).
    WIBC-FM (93.1): 11,300 (9,700).
    WFBQ-FM (94.7): 10,500 (11,000).
    WHHH-FM (96.3): 8,700 (12,800).
    WTLC-FM (106.7): 8,400 (9.300).
    WRZX-FM (103.3): 7,900 (6,500).
    WJJK-FM (104.5): 7,500 (5,700).
    WYXB-FM (105.7): 7,200 (9,800).
    WLHK-FM (97.1): 6,300 (5,300). 10 (tie). WNOU-FM (100.9): 6,200 (6,400). 10 (tie). WZPL-FM (99.5): 6,200 (6,300). Source: Arbitron.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-06-2008 at 03:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    I only listen to 1070 for my sports on radio.

  3. #3

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    i listen to all 3...when one goes to commercial, i tune in to another...

  4. #4
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,115
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    I live in Ft WAyne. They have Espn radio and it sucks. THat is why I got XM.

  5. #5
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Actually I prefer Greg Rakestraw's show. Unfortunately more times than not that's a certain kiss of death.

  6. #6
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,253

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Im glad JMV won he is a much better radio host than Kravits or Eddie.

    I do listen to some 1070 due to the fact that Kravits does talk more pacers than JMV, but I think Eddie White is really obnoxious and annoying. They also suck at interviews.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  7. #7
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Eddie White is really obnoxious and annoying.

    More obnoxious and annoying than ? I didn't think that was possible.

  8. #8
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,818

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    I think they are both obnoxious and annoying. And banal. And attention-span-challenged.

    I also think 1070's signal strength might have something to do with it. My reception west of Indy stinks - it didn't used to back when I was growing up.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  9. #9
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My reception west of Indy stinks - it didn't used to back when I was growing up.

    Smoke signals don't travel like they used to.

  10. #10
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,410

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    I don't listen to the radio much. But if I did, Kravitz sure as hell wouldn't be playing on there.

  11. #11
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    I'm not sure I would want to listen to Kravitz's show anyway. He never has anything positive to say unless he was ever right about something in the first place.

  12. #12
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,253

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More obnoxious and annoying than ? I didn't think that was possible.
    Kravits is actually pretty tolerable, he doesen't come off like he does in his columns (as much). Eddie White is a moron.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  13. #13

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Eddie Whites noises are annoying, he comes across as "wacky FM DJ"

    Personally I like Rakestraw, he seems like someone I could have a beer and watch a game with. It just seems that even when 950 was still ESPN their quality of guests was pretty low. I don't know who was responsible for that, but I got the feeling the station didnt do a lot to support the show.

    I tend to listen to Eddie and Kravits because they seem to have a lot of interesting and relevant guests.

    I do not like JMV, he really seems to be trying to be like Bruno or Rome and is just waiting for that bigger and better opportunity.
    Hulk - "I'm 5 for 5 from the line. I should shoot technicals now."

  14. #14
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't listen to the radio much. But if I did, Kravitz sure as hell wouldn't be playing on there.
    Is it too soon to bring back QFT?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  15. #15

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they are both obnoxious and annoying. And banal. And attention-span-challenged.

    I also think 1070's signal strength might have something to do with it. My reception west of Indy stinks - it didn't used to back when I was growing up.
    Word of the day calendar?

    I agree, 1070's reception sucks. I keep meaning to look into HD Radio, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

    I'm very glad to see JMV beating Eddie and Kravitz. I'm 27, so JMV's humor and attitude is right in my wheelhouse, where as Eddie in particular comes off as a curmudgeon. I actually prefer Rakestraw to those guys, but he's got virtually no good interviews, so it's hard to listen to him because of that.

  16. #16
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,818

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Word of the day calendar?


    I can talk gooder'n a preacher eatin' peach pits even if'n I am from Indiana.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,763

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    A couple of things to consider when looking at the numbers.

    1. This is the first "book" period for WFNI 1070. It is entirely normal for a station's ratings to not be at their peak during the first book. There are a lot of listening habits that have been created over years of air-time that take a while to change. "Curiousity listening" generally does not have a great effect on the numbers.

    2. The numbers are for the Indy area only. The signal coverage of 1070 goes far beyond what 1260 can reach. For example, down here in Brown County 1070 comes in great most of the day, in almost all areas. 1260, on the other hand, is very difficult to pick up in a lot of places. The 5,000 watts produced at WNDE simply cannot compete with the 50,000 watts that WFNI puts out when it comes to coverage area.

    If you want more info about coverage areas, go to radio-locator.com to see the coverage maps.

    Having blathered all of that, I'll say I'm enjoying the Kravitz & Eddie show. They seem to really enjoy what they are doing, and they have had a great line-up of interviews, so far.

    I'll also say this. All of the three local afternoon shows are an improvement over the days of Mark Patrick.
    Last edited by Tom White; 05-07-2008 at 11:41 AM.

  18. #18
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,830

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having blathered all of that, I'll say I'm enjoying the Kravitz & Eddie show. They seems to really enjoy what they are doing, and they have had a great line-up of interviews, so far.

    I'll also say this. All of the three local afternoon shows are an improvement over the days of Mark Patrick.
    Your point about radio listener habbits is a good one. Radio much more than TV is based upon habbit.

    Anything is better than Mark Patrick - although I really can't stand Greg Rakestraw - always seems like he is fake.

    I like JMV a lot, but he doesn't talk abou the Pacers much or the NBA

    Eddie and Kravitz I like the most because they have by far the best guests. The other two shows simply do not or cannot get guests like Bob Ryan

  19. #19
    Member indyblue47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Well, I used to be an avid JMV fan until he started letting obnoxious listeners cal in and go on and on with their rants.

    One day, out of curiosity, I tuned into 1070 (dreading hearing Kravitz), but to my surprise, BK was pretty good.

    It takes getting used to Eddie, but I've enjoyed their show alot and they can sure bring in the guests!!

    It nice being able to work and listen to them on my pc while I work.

  20. #20
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    "And again"...I can only take so much JMV. Over the years his style has started to come off way too repetitive at times. Not bad, but I've enjoyed the change of pace with Eddie/Kravitz.

    Agreed that Eddie needs to take it down a few notches, just too fake/whacky. And Bob comes off infinitely better when speaking than when writing, though he still hits his off-track dead-horses.

    My favorite part of the show is when Eddie rips Bob when he doesn't know things about the NBA.

    They've had a nice lineup of guests without a doubt. Getting Sal Paliantonio (sp? ESPN NFL) on the Harrison case was great, just for example.

    One thing I hated when I moved back from Houston was giving up sports talk options (they had 2-3 going at the time). Even if one dies here it's still big to at least have 1 extra voice on issues.

  21. #21
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,938

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Yeah, when WFNI hit the air waves, I gave Bob and Eddie a fair chance. I listened to them solidly for the first 2 months or so before I got rather fed up with Eddie White. Going in, I figured that I would want to just rip out my radio because I feared that it would be "obnoxious Bob" and a bunch of "mega Ditto" type callers just falling in line with Kravitz. Boy, was I wrong! I actually enjoyed Kravitz explaining his columns to folks that were less then happy with how he views stuff. Personally, I feel it takes a lot of guts to write a column then be accountable and answer on it on live radio.

    Honestly, my only hang up is Eddie White. For some reason he's just irretating to me in that "wacky FM DJ" sort of way. He was not that way when they started, but over the last 2 months the guy is nearly intolerable to me.

    As far as JMV, his show also isn't what it was when it started out and that is troubling. As someone mentioned earlier... too many ranting callers and not enough NBA chatter, eventhough Pacer Bball is not a hot topic unless it is a negative headline.

    950 isn't even worth mentioning. They will be looking for another format change soon and their on-air personallities will probably start filtering to other lines of work.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  22. #22
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,068
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    I hate it when Eddie White spews his line, "KRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAVVVVVVIIIIITTTZZZZ and Eddie".

    It is so ridiculous. Anyone with me?

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,763

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as JMV, his show also isn't what it was when it started out and that is troubling. As someone mentioned earlier... too many ranting callers and not enough NBA chatter, eventhough Pacer Bball is not a hot topic unless it is a negative headline.
    It has seemed to me that JMV has a Jim Rome complex. The way he speaks on the radio, and the sort of callers he tolerates give me the impression that he wants to be like Rome (Whom I can't stomach at all).

    Its odd. When he does his bit on channel 13, he doesn't speak at all like he does on the radio. Almost like he is trying to be more.........I don't know, maybe professional? More acceptable to a wider audience?

  24. #24
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate it when Eddie White spews his line, "KRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAVVVVVVIIIIITTTZZZZ and Eddie".

    It is so ridiculous. Anyone with me?
    All I know is if I happen to have 1070 and I hear "And now a minute with Kravitz and Eddie" I can't change the station fast enough.

  25. #25
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JMV beats Edddie and Kravitz - Indianapolis radio ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kravits is actually pretty tolerable, he doesen't come off like he does in his columns (as much).
    Ya, I agree.. I hate Kravits columns but enjoy listening to them talk about sports on the radio..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •