Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star}Pacers look at players who fit style

Default Star}Pacers look at players who fit style

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

Pacers look at players who fit style

Bird is keeping a close eye on point guards, power players; Indiana will likely pick 11th

By Mike Wells
    Posted: May 6, 2008

The Indiana Pacers are preparing for the June draft just like they did a year ago. They've scouted players in person and watched them on video.

This year, however, the Pacers will determine whether they use or trade their pick; last year, they had no pick. They had given it to Atlanta to complete a trade involving Al Harrington.
    Advertisement

The Pacers are slotted to pick 11th if lottery seeds hold, their earliest selection since picking Erick Dampier 10th in 1996. They believe the draft is the first step to improving.

Team president Larry Bird wouldn't divulge names, but he said the Pacers have targeted point guard and center as their primary needs.

As important, Bird said the player has to fit coach Jim O'Brien's style at least "90 percent" of the time.

"If you get somebody that doesn't play his style, he's not going to play much anyways," Bird said. ". . . Jimmy will be involved in it. He won't tell us who to draft, but he'll be watching a lot of tape and getting his hands in the middle of it."

Bird and members of the Pacers scouting department attended the Portsmouth Invitational earlier this month and will be in Orlando at the pre-draft camp in late May. Then they'll bring in potential draft picks for workouts. Teams can bring in six players, up from four last year, per workout. Teams are allowed two workouts per day.

"My thing is, I'm a little worried about it because if you're not in the lottery, a lot of teams are going to be stuck waiting for these guys to get there," Bird said. "What you would like to do is bring two . . . point guards in and all 'bigs' in at the same time. You might not be able to do that because we've got a short window to get everybody in we want. I don't know if it's good or bad."

Default Re: Star}Pacers look at players who fit style

My thing is, I have no idea what that last paragraph is supposed to mean.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

stupid. just plain stupid. the pacers need to pick the best player available, NOT the players who fit their style. job could be gone in 2yrs, then what? you're left with average players who don't fit the new coach's style. drafting players based on the style of your coach, if you aren't a contender, is just setting yourself up for more failure. always draft the best player available, regardless of style.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

"My thing is, I'm a little worried about it because if you're not in the lottery, a lot of teams are going to be stuck waiting for these guys to get there," Bird said. "What you would like to do is bring two . . . point guards in and all 'bigs' in at the same time. You might not be able to do that because we've got a short window to get everybody in we want. I don't know if it's good or bad."

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    stupid. just plain stupid. the pacers need to pick the best player available, NOT the players who fit their style. job could be gone in 2yrs, then what? you're left with average players who don't fit the new coach's style. drafting players based on the style of your coach, if you aren't a contender, is just setting yourself up for more failure. always draft the best player available, regardless of style.
    To borrow a term from late 80s rappers... Word!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I don't really have a problem with it, its bird's show and he seems to expect Obrien to be here awhile, makes sense to avoid guys who wont really work for what obrien's trying to do. They are still looking to take the best player available, if its a close call you go with the guy that fits. Its not like they are gonna take a huge talent dropoff to pick a guy that fits better, its pretty much a crap shoot where we are picking anyway, no big talent gaps between 15-10.

you all get too worked up about this kind of stuff.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Too worked up over finding players to fit a style that doesn't work in the playoffs?

Okay, I guess we should just look at it as entertainment and not emotionally invest in wins and losses.

Why in the world do I want to watch more players chuck 3s, and not learn a lick on defense? If I want too see horrible offense and **** poor defense, I'll watch high school games.

Got Buddinger?

He said pg's and bigs not sg's.

Draftnet has us taking Kevin Love now. NOw I know it won't happen.

Got Russell Westbrook? (PLZ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Too worked up over finding players to fit a style that doesn't work in the playoffs?

Okay, I guess we should just look at it as entertainment and not emotionally invest in wins and losses.

Why in the world do I want to watch more players chuck 3s, and not learn a lick on defense? If I want too see horrible offense and **** poor defense, I'll watch high school games.

JOB has stressed defense since day one, the problem is the lack of defensive players on the roster. If anything defensive players are exactly what Obrien is looking for "defense starts at the pg position" and "JO is our defensive anchor" come to mind. He is looking for a PG that can defend and a defensive anchor in the paint. Makes sense to me.

the offense is up for debate... JOB likes guys who can hit the three, yeah. If bird took an inferior PG prospect cause he had a better outside shot than the better overall player, yeah, I would be pissed. I don't really think that is going to happen. If the clear cut best player available didn't fit Bird would probably look to move up or down.

Obrien's "system" took a marginally talented celtics team (through a more talented pacers team I might add) to the ECF. So I don't buy the playoffs thing totally. I do question the offense at times...
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 05-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

JOB's defensive philosophy is a tough one to manage. It requires all five guys to be exactly on the same page every possession or you give up layups. Obviously they weren't able to do that.

Defense isn't a complicated structure, and it only further shows how messed up his schemes are.

Defense should be preached about stopping your man's pentration, and being in good helpside defensive position when he doesn't have the ball. From what I understand, from reading/hearing his comments, they have defensive rotations when the ball is moved around.

Obviously you need some, but when they get too complicated you have people that don't know what they're doing. So you end up with one of two things. One, two men rotate out leaving another spot open on the court, usually the middle, and two, no one rotates out.

When players can't grasp your philosophy, they give up and tune you out.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

No new news...

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Got Russell Westbrook? (PLZ?)

I think its between Westbrook and Speights personally, and westbrook may not be available. Deandre Jordan is too raw and seems to lack work ethic. A lot of other bigs might be a reach. Augustin is borderline, his problem is defensive potential.

Westbrook is kind of raw too, lots of upside, but hard to say if he can be a true PG. Defense wont be a problem though and he brings some much needed athleticism.

In the end I predict Bird take Marreese Speights. though westbrook should be given strong consideration if he is available.

Birthday:8/4/1987
    NBA Postion:PF/C
    Class:Sophomore
    Ht:6-10 Wt:250
    College Team:Florida
    Hometown:St. Petersburg,
    FLHigh School:Hargrove

Fluid bigman with excellent length and shooting touch … Shows a lot of offensive promise with great touch on his shot within 8 feet of the basket … Very effective at the pick and roll … Has good hands and a terrific frame … He should be able to put on additional weight allowing him to play more physical … Huge wingspan gives him the length to play both the 4 and 5 positions at the next level as his body matures … Neither incredibly fast or explosive, but he is an above average athlete with excellent physical gifts … Still prone to making a careless pass here and there, but has above average vision and can develop into a quality passer … Has the length and athleticism to become a solid shot blocker … His rebounding should improve as he continues to get stronger …

next al jefferson?
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 05-06-2008 at 04:55 PM.

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    JOB's defensive philosophy is a tough one to manage. It requires all five guys to be exactly on the same page every possession or you give up layups. Obviously they weren't able to do that.

Defense isn't a complicated structure, and it only further shows how messed up his schemes are.

Defense should be preached about stopping your man's pentration, and being in good helpside defensive position when he doesn't have the ball. From what I understand, from reading/hearing his comments, they have defensive rotations when the ball is moved around.

Obviously you need some, but when they get too complicated you have people that don't know what they're doing. So you end up with one of two things. One, two men rotate out leaving another spot open on the court, usually the middle, and two, no one rotates out.

When players can't grasp your philosophy, they give up and tune you out.

His defense seems to have worked for other teams... I believe the celtics and sixers were pretty high rated defensive teams when he coached them. Dick Harter seems to know what hes doing, his defense got the P's to the finals...

when you don't have a PG on the roster who can stop penetraton and your only shotblocking presence missed half the year, your going to be bad defensive team. Can't blame everything on the coach.

- ilive4sports

And from what I've read by people on here, the scheme is different from the one he ran in Philly and Boston.

I view him as a quick fix, and those hardly ever work. If you're foundation is cracked, it needs fixed first. Replacing the drywall might take away the cracked walls, but eventually the same problems will pop up.

We need PG, SG, and C. I agree with best player available in most cases but this team has way too many SF/PF type of players. I think you only draft one of those if someone really amazing dramatically slips.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    My thing is, I have no idea what that last paragraph is supposed to mean.
    It's poorly written.

I'm taking it as: "The rules have changed regarding getting prospects into our building for workouts. I'm not sure if it's a good rule or not."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It was poorly spoken. I'm not making a Bird joke. It is the truth. That is why I believe GM's would call to talk to Donnie. That was a Bird joke.

The NBA is not a system league. It is a player league. Jim is not going to be here long enough to draft people for a system. That isn't a knock against Jim. It is just how long coaches last in the NBA.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Phil Jackson's teams use the triangle, right? Larry Brown needs/wants certain types of players, right? Don Nelson?

How long has Brown been with one team? Certainly teams are not built around his system. Phil Jackson has won championships having the best players of the era on his team. Nelson I wouldn't say is that great of a playoff coach.

I believe that players not coaches win championships. What coaches do contribute is leadership/management not a system.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    We need PG, SG, and C. I agree with best player available in most cases but this team has way too many SF/PF type of players. I think you only draft one of those if someone really amazing dramatically slips.
    honestly, if we are left seriously left with the choice of love, westbrook, or augustin and aren't trading out of the #11 slot, i'd take greene, gallinari, and even joe alexander over the 3...at least, imo, the later 3 have a chance to become better than a role player in this league...

honestly, if we are left seriously left with the choice of love, westbrook, or augustin and aren't trading out of the #11 slot, i'd take greene, gallinari, and even joe alexander over the 3...at least, imo, the later 3 have a chance to become better than a role player in this league...
    Yeah, but you want us to trade Granger. So we don't take your talent appraisals seriously.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Based on what Bird said, I'm guessing:

Russel Westbrook
    Kosta Koufos
    Donte Green
    Anthony Randolph

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Phil Jackson's teams use the triangle, right? Larry Brown needs/wants certain types of players, right? Don Nelson?
    Makes sense. I still think we should draft a legit PG
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes