77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 36.36%
  • No

49 63.64%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pot. Do you care?

Default Pot. Do you care?

All the Josh Howard talk has brought this to the front of my mind lately.

Here's the scenario:

The Pacers are a normal basketball team. Their attendance is average. Their a playoff caliber team but not a true championship contender. Their players have not run afoul of the law on a regular basis. A major player on their team, who has no history of misconduct and has failed no drug tests, admits to occasionally smoking pot during the offseason.

Do you care?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pot. Do you care?

'During the offseason' is the operative phrase for me.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Interesting question.

I don't smoke. I don't get the appeal behind it and never have, but I hang out with people who do. Many of them have 3.8 or higher GPAs in the Kelley school and are extremely productive members of society. So I guess my answer would be, no.

Of course, I think the deicision to smoke anything is a questionable one when you are a professional athlete and your lungs are such an important part of your career.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I voted yes.

If you're a regular guy off the street, I could care less, but NBA players are not normal people.

They're an investment, to be frank. Owners invest in their ability to play basketball, and any thing that has a good chance of hindering that ability should be avoided if possible.

Pot is illegal, you get busted by the cops and you see legal ramifications. Get busted enough times, or with enough of an amount and you could see jail time. Failing drug tests can get you suspended, hard to play when you're suspended or in jail, or both at the same time.

I won't even get into the health risks of it.

Yes I understand there is associated risk with all activities. Driving could end someone's career. But you want to try and minimize the chance, and getting high does what exactly? I've smoked, and I drink. Neither are worth more than making millions IMHO.

It shows poor judgment. First of all, why would you smoke pot as an NBA player in the first place? As Since86 said, it's just not a good decision career-wise. Second, if you do, why the hell would you admit it? Especially since you only do it in the offseason? I'm pretty sure most players in the NBA smoke pot. That's fine. Just don't put yourself or your team in jeopardy by doing it when you're on the job or preparing for it or by talking about it (Josh Howard, David Harrison, Shawne Williams).

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted yes.

If you're a regular guy off the street, I could care less, but NBA players are not normal people.

They're an investment, to be frank. Owners invest in their ability to play basketball, and any thing that has a good chance of hindering that ability should be avoided if possible.

Pot is illegal, you get busted by the cops and you see legal ramifications. Get busted enough times, or with enough of an amount and you could see jail time. Failing drug tests can get you suspended, hard to play when you're suspended or in jail, or both at the same time.

I won't even get into the health risks of it.

Yes I understand there is associated risk with all activities. Driving could end someone's career. But you want to try and minimize the chance, and getting high does what exactly? I've smoked, and I drink. Neither are worth more than making millions IMHO.
    What he said, plus it's dumb to admit to doing something illegal. Do we want players that dumb? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    What he said, plus it's dumb to admit to doing something illegal. Do we want players that dumb? I don't.
    Maybe this should be another poll, maybe not. It's total conjecture for most of the guys. How many current Pacers do you think have smoked since coming into the league?

I'd be willing to bet it's over 50%.

Also, with the Josh Howard situation, why aren't more people coming down on Michael Irvin for asking the question in the first place? You're interviewing a prominent NBA basketball player during a playoff series, and you can't come up with a better question to ask than "Do you smoke pot in the offseason?" Granted it would have been better for Howard to say, "That's a stupid question. I'm not going to answer it", but is that really the best Irvin could do?

- Salman Rushdie

I personally think the stuff should be legal. I don't care who smokes. BUT I do have a 12 year old son that thinks the world of these guys. The last thing I want is my only child who is very impressionable thinking that its cool to smoke weed and if Josh Howard does it...Its O.K. for him to...Dad must not know what he is talking about because this guy does it and he makes millions of dollars in the NBA.

IMO This guy just came out and told kids all over Dallas that its OK to get high this is not something I want associated around my team.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Can he ball?

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Can he ball?

My son or Howard?

Meh. Define "care." I'm not morally outraged, but I think it's pretty stupid to do something that's both illegal and against the rules when you're in a $10mil/year career. And I don't want stupid players.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Maybe we can ship them David Harrison so he can have a buddy to toke it up with all offseason

Does anyone really believe that he only uses in the offseason? I certainly do not believe that at all.

Even if he is telling the truth, yes I still care. I would not knowingly acquire someone who I knew used Pot.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    My son or Howard?
    I figured we were just talking about some hypothetical player that was just based on the JH situation. THe original post just said the guy was a major part of our team (right now, Diener is a major part of the team). So I was wondering if the burner could light it up (in the b-ball sense).

No disrespect to your boy of course.

woman without a team

Yes I care for a whole lot of reasons. Here are some of them.

1. Smoking pot is illegal. Just because he hasn't been caught doesn't mean he won't.

2. If he's dumb enough to admit that he smokes pot I don't want him on the team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Interesting question.

I don't smoke. I don't get the appeal behind it and never have, but I hang out with people who do. Many of them have 3.8 or higher GPAs in the Kelley school and are extremely productive members of society. So I guess my answer would be, no.

Of course, I think the deicision to smoke anything is a questionable one when you are a professional athlete and your lungs are such an important part of your career.
    I'm going to co-sign this.

Smoking pot doesn't make you a better athlete.

There's plenty about it that can be a detriment.

Let's face it a lot of guys can perform at a high level while smoking pot but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be at an even higher level without.

It's a given that they need to excercise judgement (I agree with those who have said that announcing you smoke pot is very poor judgement.)

AT the end of the day I don't want to know what they do in their free time. If you can smoke pot, not get caught and produce on the court I guess that's a great life for you. Nice job.

But if your production falls off, your development is halted, your work ethic suffers or god forbid you get arrested and suspended then don't expect us to feel sorry for you when the wrath of the world comes down on you.

YOU will be the j ack@ss that screwed up the life most all of us can only dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Does anyone really believe that he only uses in the offseason? I certainly do not believe that at all.

Even if he is telling the truth, yes I still care. I would not knowingly acquire someone who I knew used Pot.
    It was well known that LB smoked pot,so if we had a chance to trade for Bird back in the 88 season we will say,you wouldve not traded for him considering knowing he smoked pot?.

Or would you trade for him just because he was Larry Bird?.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-06-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It was well known that LB smoked pot,so if we had a chance to trade for Bird back in the 88 season we will say,you wouldve not traded for him considering knowing he smoked pot?.

Or would you trade for him just because he was Larry Bird?.
    By '88 Bird was declining.

Would I take Lebron James or Chris Paul if they admitted what Josh Howard admitted. I would certainly investigate their background a lot closer than I normally would. But I would not rule taking either of them. I'll gamble on a James or Paul, but not on a Josh Howard. He isn't good enough to make the gamble worth it.

So am I saying - "as long as the player is good enough, who cares what they do in their personal life" - Not saying that, but I'll be much more liable to gamble on a great player than an average starter.

Doesn't matter to me really.

Here's a list of guys who've been associated with marijuana in some way.

Josh Howard
    Damon Stoudamire
    Allen Iverson
    Marcus Camby
    Isaiah Rider
    David Harrison
    Jamaal Tinsley
    Rasheed Wallace
    Carmelo Anthony
    Shawne Williams
    Stephen Jackson
    Zach Randolph
    Robert Parish
    Larry Bird
    Kevin McHale
    Chris Webber
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Bill Walton

It took me about 5 minutes on Google to find those names.

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Bill Walton

I wish the poll options were:

Yes - At all
    Yes - If during the season
    No - At all

I'd have voted "B" in that case. Generally I still don't care, or rather I wouldn't if not for the fact that he's jeopardizing my team by doing so during the season. If the NBA didn't care, I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

SINCE THIS APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN CONFUSING TO SOME, LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR: I HAVE HEARD OR READ IN THE PAST THAT THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE HAVE OR DO SMOKE POT. I PERSONALLY DON'T CARE THAT THEY DO (IF THEY DO). I'M THROWING IT OUT THERE TO PEOPLE WHO WOULD HESITATE TO BRING A PLAYER ONTO THIS TEAM IN THE NAME OF THEIR SMOKING HABITS BECAUSE SOME OF THESE PLAYERS ARE OR WERE LIKED QUITE A BIT BY THE MAJORITY OF THE FAN BASE.

And I'm sure they're not alone.

The bottom line is, no matter how an individual feels in regards to this issue, smoking pot is illegal.

Yes, it makes a difference to me. Plus, the Pacers can't afford the bad PR and another negative hit image wise.