Thread: Year-Round Basketball...These WNBA girls have it tougher than I thought!

Default Year-Round Basketball...These WNBA girls have it tougher than I thought!

I became a fan of the WNBA and the Indiana Fever last season after watching the Fever tough out their last couple of regular season games and the post-season. I was amazed at the toughness of these ladies. They showed great resiliency and I was impressed by that "never give up" attitude they had.

The other day I decided to read the blogs by Tully and Mika and was surprised to learn that many of these WNBA players actually play basketball year-round. As soon as their WNBA season is over they'll go overseas and play in a foriegn league (or visa versa as is the case w/Tully Bevilaqua, for example). Moreover, once over-seas play is done, some of these ladies barely make it back stateside before the WNBA season actually begins. There's a brief post-game interview on the Fever's website that illustrates this point very well.

Ebony Hoffman and Tammy Sutton-Brown has just flown in from overseas the night before their Saturday night game against the Washington Mystics on 5/17. I was like, "Wow!" I didn't know that.

Comparatively speaking, I wonder who has it tougher? The ladies of the WNBA or their male counterparts in the NBA? Granted, the WNBA season is only 34 games long and only goes from about mid-May to early August (although this year there will be a month long gap from 28 July to 29 August to accommodate the summer Olympics) compared to 82-games in the NBA, but let's not forget that these ladies do play year round overseas.

Your thoughts...

woman without a team

Default Re: Year-Round Basketball...These WNBA girls have it tougher than I thought!

I have a hard time believing you'll find many people that think the women have it tougher. Of course none of the people who believe that have ever had to suffer through that time of the month.

Default Re: Year-Round Basketball...These WNBA girls have it tougher than I thought!

Grace,

To be honest, I didn't think the fellas would care that much. Just thought I'd hit my gender with some news about this women's league that maybe they didn't know...I sure didn't until recently and the WNBA has been in full swing now for 12 yrs!?! But I guess if it's taken this long for this brand of basketball to grow on me, I shouldn't be too surprised that the gender gap is still vastly wide.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I was a woman and played basketball, there's no way I'd be in the WNBA. I'd make my money in Europe and have an actual offseason. If there's not a vibrant market for women's basketball in the USA but there is in Russia, **** it, I am living in Russia half the year.

To be honest most women who have made it to this level have been playing year-round basektball since high school, if not before. It takes that kind of commitment with club basketball and all to get this far. My daughter played volleyball 11 months out of the year from the time she was 12 to try and be good enough for a scholarship offer.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest most women who have made it to this level have been playing year-round basektball since high school, if not before. It takes that kind of commitment with club basketball and all to get this far. My daughter played volleyball 11 months out of the year from the time she was 12 to try and be good enough for a scholarship offer.
    This is probably the most rest these ladies have gotten since they were around that age, 10-12 years old. My youngest sister played probably atleast 100 games a year throughout junior high and high school, on top of her schoolwork, practice and personal workouts. During AAU season she would travel with one primary team, and join others for select tournaments any free weekend she had. She also entered every 3 on 3 she could find. On top of all that my father formed his own travel team and would enter them into tournaments against boys and older girls on occasion. Some of these tournaments would be 1 or 2 days and they would play 5-6 games that weekend alone. There was a tournament I remember she played 3 games in about 8 hours! She even still managed to find the time to take me to the park and school me atleast once per week. It was exausting just to hear what she was actually doing.

But it worked out, our family traveled a lot and had a lot of fun together. And she got a free college education out of it, so it was well worth it. And she never complained, she absolutely loved it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, touching on that month off that they have for the olympics, most of these players will be representing their country's basketball team in some form. Technically this isn't a vacation.

Go team USA and Fever!

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    This is probably the most rest these ladies have gotten since they were around that age, 10-12 years old. My youngest sister played probably atleast 100 games a year throughout junior high and high school, on top of her schoolwork, practice and personal workouts. During AAU season she would travel with one primary team, and join others for select tournaments any free weekend she had. She also entered every 3 on 3 she could find. On top of all that my father formed his own travel team and would enter them into tournaments against boys and older girls on occasion. Some of these tournaments would be 1 or 2 days and they would play 5-6 games that weekend alone. There was a tournament I remember she played 3 games in about 8 hours! She even still managed to find the time to take me to the park and school me atleast once per week. It was exausting just to hear what she was actually doing.

But it worked out, our family traveled a lot and had a lot of fun together. And she got a free college education out of it, so it was well worth it. And she never complained, she absolutely loved it.
    Perfect description. We always heard "high school is for fun, club is for real". It presented my daughter the opportunity to play anywhere from 10 miles away all the way to Australia. It's a very tough grind but she loved it and really looks back with a lot of fondness of those days.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm going to have to catch a couple Silver Stars games this season. It is a fun experience and the team is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post

WOW!! Just...WOW!!

I tip my hat off to you, your family but particularly your daughter as she made the biggest sacrifice...her social time. But it would appear it paid off in spades.