View Poll Results: You're starting a new franchise, you have your choice between the two - whom do you go with?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Paul

43 65.15%
  • Dwight Howard

23 34.85%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Paul vs Dwight Howard

Banned

Question Chris Paul vs Dwight Howard

I saw this debate on another board, so I thought I'd bring it here to Pacers Digest.

You're starting a new franchise, you have your choice between the two - whom do you go with?

The tale of the tape...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chris Paul vs Dwight Howard

Dwight

Paul is ridiculously good, but I think you take big over small cuz "you can't teach big."

It's easier to build around a dominant big-man than around a PG, no matter how good he is.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would normally take the big guy, but there's just something about Paul.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Considering that Dwight can block shots, rebounding for you on both ends, is so physically gifted that no one can stop him right now (except maybe for hacking), and still has so much to improve on the offensive end, I don't think it's a contest. Plus, I feel like, although Paul has thusfar been very durable and tough, Dwight probably has a lower chance of sustaining major season or career injury. Be interesting to see how each does in the second round against more experienced clubs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You can't teach size. . . . Dwight

Can't teach All-Star level point guard skills either. As Pacers fans, we're painfully aware of the shortage of high-caliber PGs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

8 of the last 9 NBA champions have featured either Tim Duncan or Shaquille O'Neal. So because of that, I'd take Howard over Paul.

However, I'd take LeBron over both of them.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Big men always out rank pg's. No question both are valueable but one is harder to find than the other.

I'd take Payton over Kemp.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Paul is elite at two ends. No-brainer for me.

You can't teach desire either and Chris
    Paul has more determination than any player in the league besides Kobe and Duncan.

But really, I'd take either if they're offering.

Banned

Dwight is clearly the leagues next dominant big man, and since it's a known fact that big men win championships, I think it's a no-brainer for Howard.

Paul. Easy.

He's got chumps looking like All-Stars. PGs can make PFs better, but the reverse isn't usually true.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I take the big man first as a rule. Big men with footwork, athleticism, and agility that DH has is just too rare to pass up.

Gotta Play Big

Paul and Howard are both at the top of the game....but I'd give the edge to Dwight.

Superstar big men win championships. Look at Shaq and Tim Duncan and their jewelry over the last decade. In contrast, how many rings do the great PG's in the league have? Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd have....hmmm..Zero. That's right.

I suppose Tony Parker is a good PG, but he's no Nash/Paul/Deron W/ or JKidd. Everyone knows TD is why the Spurs win.

Maybe Magic Johnson qualifies as a PG, but at 6'9"...it was different...and a different era...and he had Kareem anyway...another big man.

Perhaps Paul is the exception...but I doubt it. Paul has a number of nice pieces so I suppose he could advance...but history says the PG is not the reason you win it all.

Unless you have a tremendous freak athlete like Lebron, Kobe or MJ....or an extremely well put together TEAM like Detroit...or a dominant big man along the lines of Shaq or TD, you will not win a championship.

Yep, Superman is the piece to pick...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Both.

If I HAD to choose, I'd take Dwight.

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    8 of the last 9 NBA champions have featured either Tim Duncan or Shaquille O'Neal. So because of that, I'd take Howard over Paul.

However, I'd take LeBron over both of them.
    Very well said. I'd take Lebron over any current player...but I'd have a tough time taking Lebron over a young Shaq.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I would normally take the big guy, but there's just something about Paul.
    What he said.

Banned

LeBron wasn't included because it's pretty much unanimous that he's the #1 young player - if not player, period - in the league.

Paul by a nose. In today's game he's slightly more valuable IMO.

Wow!!! So many of you picking Paul. It is a no brainer to build around a big 20-20 guy like Howard especially with the lack of big men in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    Wow!!! So many of you picking Paul. It is a no brainer to build around a big 20-20 guy like Howard especially with the lack of big men in the league.
    Really? NO is doing just fine with their big guys (a lot thanks to Paul giving them easy hoops). I think finding a floor general is a lot harder.

Put me on board for CP3. You're talking about a PG that's got the potential to be top 5 all-time.

Also, Howard's numbers are very good, and he's surely a force, but the times I've seen him, they don't run the offense through him, so he doesn't really command double teams, so he doesn't really get wide open looks for his teammates. I think that's what got Duncan and Shaq their rings, not just gaudy numbers.

In summary, Paul makes his teammates better, Howard doesn't. Paul by a nose.

IMO, Point Guard is far and away the most important position in the game. Plus, I don't believe that you can have a post player/inside guy as your main go-to guy at the end of the game. They rely too much somebody else to get them the ball, plus it's easier to collapse the defense and provide help on that inside guy.

I'd probably go Paul and Deron Williams before I'd take Howard...and I acknowledge that Howard is a fantastic player.

Again, for me, it PG above all positions.

Yeah...I don't about all this "by a nose" stuff. This is a really easy answer for me: Chris Paul. I doubt that the Magic have more than 40 wins without Hedo Turkoglu this year. I think an argument could be made that he was just as valuable as Dwight Howard for them. As Eindar mentions, the offense rarely runs through Howard. At times, it seems he's the 4th most likely guy to take a shot in crunch time. Is that really the guy you'd start your franchise with when you have Chris Paul as an option?

Also, using a Bill Simmons measuring tool, how much worse would each team if we replaced the player with a decent player at their position? How much worse would the Magic be if that was Tyson Chandler and not Dwight Howard? 5 wins worse? Maybe 10? What if the Hornets had Kirk Hinrich? Would they even have won 30 games this year? I doubt that the Hornets would have won 40 games with a bona-fide all-star like Tony Parker running the point instead of Chris Paul.

Further, Tyson Chandler cost the Hornets an old PJ Brown. Getting a decent PG costs more. Getting a decent pure PG costs an arm, a leg, an ear, and two first round picks....just ask the Mavs.
    Last edited by rexnom; 05-03-2008 at 06:40 AM.