Thread: Ideas for Marquis

Default Ideas for Marquis

Here's a couple of possibilities for Marquis. I don't have many because I don't think there's a lot of teams who'd be interested. You have to look at teams who are either in need of a back-up wing or who badly need to shed salary.

Atlanta - Marquis in a sign & trade for Josh Childress.

They might do this once it becomes apparent that Childress will not just re-sign with them. If they don't get any good offers, they can rent Marquis for a year, use him to back-up Johnson and Smith (much as they do with Childress right now), and then be done with him, or pick-up his option and trade him as a $7 million expiring. It would be a desperation move, but it's not terribly unlikely.

Dallas - Marquis and either Ike or Shawne for Jason Terry.

Apparently they still like Marquis in Dallas, and with Avery gone, he'd get a chance under a new coach. He'd also be a defensive upgrade over Terry and could thrive catching passes from Kidd. They also get some young talent in return, and that's something they're very short of in Dallas.

Golden State - Marquis for ????

I could see Nellie wanting Marquis. He played very well for him in Dallas. I don't know what we'd get in return.

Phoenix - Marquis, Tinsley, and Ike/Shawne for Barbosa, Diaw.

Phoenix gets a good backup for Nash and a good perimeter defender in Daniels. They also get some young talent which they're short on.

Denver - Marquis & Ike for Nene

Denver gets a good defensive wing who would complement Melo and AI nicely. They also get a young big to replace Nene. We get legit. C who, if healthy, can block shots, rebound, and hurt people.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: Ideas for Marquis

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a couple of possibilities for Marquis. I don't have many because I don't think there's a lot of teams who'd be interested. You have to look at teams who are either in need of a back-up wing or who badly need to shed salary.

Atlanta - Marquis in a sign & trade for Josh Childress.

They might do this once it becomes apparent that Childress will not just re-sign with them. If they don't get any good offers, they can rent Marquis for a year, use him to back-up Johnson and Smith (much as they do with Childress right now), and then be done with him, or pick-up his option and trade him as a $7 million expiring. It would be a desperation move, but it's not terribly unlikely.

Dallas - Marquis and either Ike or Shawne for Jason Terry.

Apparently they still like Marquis in Dallas, and with Avery gone, he'd get a chance under a new coach. He'd also be a defensive upgrade over Terry and could thrive catching passes from Kidd. They also get some young talent in return, and that's something they're very short of in Dallas.

Golden State - Marquis for ????

I could see Nellie wanting Marquis. He played very well for him in Dallas. I don't know what we'd get in return.

Phoenix - Marquis, Tinsley, and Ike/Shawne for Barbosa, Diaw.

Phoenix gets a good backup for Nash and a good perimeter defender in Daniels. They also get some young talent which they're short on.

Denver - Marquis & Ike for Nene

Denver gets a good defensive wing who would complement Melo and AI nicely. They also get a young big to replace Nene. We get legit. C who, if healthy, can block shots, rebound, and hurt people.
    I like all those a lot, but I find myself asking if we can really command these return for Marquis, Ike, Tins combinations? Ones I like best are the Suns and Nugs although other two aren't bad.

I've always found Childress to be an intriguing player but I wonder how much better he could truly become? Acquiring Nene, Barbosa, or Terry arguably upgrades us at some spots of need. Particulalry Nene and Barbosa IMO. Nene is rugged and reasonably skilled. Just a question of health/durability.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Of those I would probably do the Terry deal, although his contract scares me a little he is very durable and would fulfill a need for a PG that can defend and shoot better than anyone we have now.

We already have a logjam at SF, so we don't need Childress but I do like him.

I like the idea of getting Barbosa, but not Diaw so much. He's another SF with too big of a contract.

Nene is too much of an injury question mark to pay $42+ mil over the next 4 years IMO.

From the Warriors I might try to get Belinelli from them somehow along with maybe a re-signed Azubuike and some cash.

Mood

I like the Dallas trade the best myself.

How about Quis and Tins to Portland for Raef LaFrentz, Sergio Rodriguez, and their #13 pick?

They need a PG and a 2/3 defender and are not looking to add more youth at this point. Raef is a serviceable 4/5 back with a huge expiring contract and Rodriguez could turn out to be something in the future.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the best plan for Marquis if he can't be included in a good deal to help you move Tinsley or Murphy is to hold onto him and Jeff Foster until the dealine and look for a deal then.

The Lakers got Gasol while giving up Kwame Brown and his 9 million expiring plus a draft pick, Foster and Marquis will be 13 million in expiring deals combined. We could get a pretty good deal from someone who is out of the race and looking to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the best plan for Marquis if he can't be included in a good deal to help you move Tinsley or Murphy is to hold onto him and Jeff Foster until the dealine and look for a deal then.

The Lakers got Gasol while giving up Kwame Brown and his 9 million expiring plus a draft pick, Foster and Marquis will be 13 million in expiring deals combined. We could get a pretty good deal from someone who is out of the race and looking to start over.
    Yeah, theoretically, there's no reason why we can't get someone like Mike Miller if the Grizz start holding a firesale.

I like all of those deals except the Dallas one, but I don't think any of them are good enough for the other team to bite.

I don't know what kind of value Marquis has, but it can't be much.

I think the Pacers need to get him more minutes. The more minutes he plays the better we do as team. He is not the long term solution but the fact he is an experienced vet; will let us slowly move along whomever we draft in the first round and then we can trade Q6 at the deadline for a team needing perimeter help. If he shines we might be able to get a late first round pick out of him.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would want Childress.