Banned

Default Pacers/Knicks

INDIANA
    > Stephon Marbury, David Lee, #5
    < Jermaine O'Neal, #11

NEW YORK
    > Jermaine O'Neal, #11
    < Stephon Marbury, David Lee, #5

Why for the Pacers? J.O.'s time in Indy is done. It's time to move on. Indy picks up a hustle PF, moves up 6 picks, and sheds some salary.

Why for the Knicks? Walsh says he expects New York to be a playoff team next year. they take a step towards that goal by bringing in one of the top defenders in the league, and they only move down 6 spots in a fairly wide-open draft class. Lee is no longer needed. O'Neals deal expires in two seasons, so if he doesn't work out he's a huge contract off the books the same offseason LeBron hits the market.

Default Re: Pacers/Knicks

I wouldn't mind this deal on a couple of conditions:

1. We do it during the draft, only after we know that there's a guy we really want that's available at #5.

2. We bring in a shot-blocker to replace what we lose in JO. We can't expect our defense to be any better next year if we trot out a front line rotation of Foster, Murphy, and Lee.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Marbury and the Pacers is not a good fit at all. Keep in mind the first thing the Simon's want to do is clean up our image.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marbury and the Pacers is not a good fit at all. Keep in mind the first thing the Simon's want to do is clean up our image.
    I actually think Marbury would probably be deactivated early in the season, if not bought out immediately. Personally, I'd like to see the Ps trade for Marbury and dangle his expiring at the trade deadline to see if they can pick up a reasonable player/pick out of it.

That said, I don't think the Knicks would do this. Lee is one of their more popular players, and maybe their most promising young guy period. They MIGHT do the deal if the picks are taken out (and I'd do it too, from Indy's perspective) but ain't no way they trade a huge expiring deal, David Lee, and a great draft pick for an injury-prone, overpaid player with a long contract, and a mid-late lottery pick.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about:

Tinsley and a second rounder for Jerome James

Then we buy out the remainder of Jerome James' contract for roughly $12M instead of the $20 it would cost us to buy out Tinsley.

It would cost a second round pick but in essence, we are selling a second rounder for $8M and salary cap flexibility for the Summer of 2009.

The NYK would be getting a player that would actually see the floor and a second rounder to help build for the 2009-2010 season, which should be the Knicks first year of being competitive.

Donnie's not dumb and he won't be unloading Marbury this season, unless he gets a legit superstar in return at the deadline, think Elton Brand or Michael Redd, because the Knicks will have 22M coming off their books from his contract alone, and will need talent to replace an expiring contract in their situation.

I guess I have to respond to this since it keeps showing up on the front page and bugging me.

Donnie Walsh did not suddenly become brain-dead when he moved to NY. He's not going to trade one of, if not the, best players on the team, a major expiring contract, and a top-5 draft pick for a washed up has-been who will never play a full NBA season again.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Banned

David Lee may be one of the best players on your team, but he's still a career backup. I wouldn't say J.O.'s a has been yet, he was still brilliant when close to healthy (see: his numbers for December). Marbury's expiring could be replaced with Crawford I suppose.

Stephon Marbury for Jermaine O'Neal and the Pacers 1st Rd draft pick. If we're going to give up an expiring contract next year and absorb an extra year of salary for someone who doesn't play - and if he does is redundant since we already HAVE a power forward - the least I'd want is a 1st rd pick.

Or Zach Randolph for Jermaine O'Neal straight up. I'd give up the first because even though we're trading a healthy player for a cripple you'd be absorbing the larger contract.

Indy would be crazy not to jump at this - hometown, Indiana 20-10 player, returning to his roots . . .

Plus he'd be a great fit with Tinsley and Daniels in so many ways. I think they could really support each other.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who cares about the extra year. Both contracts come off the board by the time LeBron is available.

JO/#11 for Marbury/#5

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who cares about the extra year. Both contracts come off the board by the time LeBron is available.

JO/#11 for Marbury/#5
    That seems fair to me. JO may have an injury history but at least his are legit and he doesn't cause problems in the locker room like Starbury. In fact, I would be ok with buying him out just to avoid any possible problems. We would only be getting him for the cap space in 09-10 anyway and I couldn't see any contenders looking to deal for him at the deadline.