Thread: Draft discussion

Default Draft discussion

15 days till the NBA draft, what do you expect us to do? What do you want us to do?

Here are the options as I see them now:

Trade up

There's been a good deal of talk about us looking to trade up to a top-5 pick, for whatever reason. Al's name has been thrown in these rumours a lot, but is there really anybody in this draft we want bad enough to make a deal for?

Trade down

We could dump the pick for future considerations and focus on the FA game, or more likely, include our pick in a deal to get a SG or C who can contribute right away.

Take a 2-guard

There are some interesting prospects at this position that should be available at #29:

Kevin Martin
    6'7" 195 lbs
    Western Carolina
    Notes: good scorer, good three point shot, smart all-around player
    Projected: Early second round

Romain Sato
    6'5" 195 lbs
    Xavier
    Notes: good shooter, athletic, good defender
    Projected: Early to mid- second round

Take a Center

Promising big men are a favourite of teams with late first round picks.

Peter John Ramos
    7'4" 260 lbs
    Puerto Rico
    Notes: athletic and mobile, decent passer, decent post game
    Projected: Late first round

Ha Seung-Jin
    7'3" 305 lbs
    Korea
    Notes: mobile, good stamina, good touch
    Projected: Early second round

Take the best player available

This is most often the best option for a competitive team with a late-round pick. There are a few players who may drop down to #29 that may be too good for the Pacers to pass up. Here are a few players whose stock has dropped a bit lately, and may have an outside chance of still being on the board when we're up.

Sebastian Telfair
    5'11" 170 lbs
    High School
    Notes: great ball handler, flashy, quick
    Projected: Mid- to late- first round

Luke Jackson
    6'7" 215 lbs
    Oregon
    Notes: good shooter, good passer
    Projected: Mid- first round

JR Smith
    6'5" 210 lbs
    High School
    Notes: good shooter, athletic
    Projected: Mid- to late- first round

.... what do you guys think?
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Draft discussion

Pass the Rolaids please.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I bet we draft a center and trade for a SG.
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pass the Rolaids please.
    Can I have half, please?

With pick #29 we are not going to get anyone who will play in more than a handful of games. And playing even 30 minutes for the season will just be so Rick can get a clue about the player in game situations.

For that, we will start the the player out at $700K or so. The player will be on the IL for pretty much his three years anyway.

If we are involved in the draft at all, I only want one player. Okufur (sp?). He's probably the only player in the entire draft that fills a need for us while also being capable of playing a vital role for us next season. If we can't make a conditional deal to get us in the top 2-3 to have a shot at getting him, then the heck with the draft.

Mood

My honest opinion? We trade up. Why? We get one of our needs backed-up with a quality player. THis is important because DW/LB will try to fill our needs first with what we have and in doing so will want a plan B in place just in case. Secondly, it reduces the cap. Luxury tax or no saving money isn't a bad idea. The diff between a rookie contract and say Al's salary could just about pay for a MLE vet for the position we don't draft.

<edit> Let's not forget that in all of this we still have a Trade exemption from last smmers trade with SA. If DW/LB come up with something they REALLY fill strongly about (ok slim but they could) they could toss that in as an inducement to take back more than we give up.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

In addition to your response to Snickers thread, don't forget:

Who knows DW?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I don't follow the semi-pro game at all, but I think Sato is the guy I like. Didn't we discuss him a few weeks ago?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

I don't follow the semi-pro game at all, but I think Sato is the guy I like. Didn't we discuss him a few weeks ago?
    Don't know about a few weeks ago, but I mentioned him here:
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4082

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

a lot of the guys on the list might not be available at our pick, like luke jackson, peter ramos, bassy telfair, and kevin martin (yes, that guy has shot up the draft boards).

on trading up... one theory that makes sense to me is that if we were to trade for t-mac, then orlando will likely be rebuilding, and so a high pick might be better for them than someone like harrington. so essentially, trading up is just to improve our trade bait.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Don't know about a few weeks ago, but I mentioned him here:
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4082
    Here's the one I was thinking of ...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1645
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Zesty

on trading up... one theory that makes sense to me is that if we were to trade for t-mac, then orlando will likely be rebuilding, and so a high pick might be better for them than someone like harrington. so essentially, trading up is just to improve our trade bait.
    The idea of this makes me uneasy. Say we trade away Al for a higher draft pick to try to entice someone into a trade for a better, player, but then no one does a deal with us. At that point we've traded away a solid contributor and a known commodity for a player we probably didn't want in the first place. I know the potential for a nice reward is there, but I tend to hope for the best and plan for the worst, and the downside of this strategy makes me uncomfortable.

Mood

We wouldn't do that unless we had a deal in place. Some teams might thinking that of course they could arrainge a deal, but not the P's. We're way too cautious for that.

Mood

So how about something like this, with tweaks to make it all work financially/CBA-wise?

Indiana trades:

Harrington
    Pollard
    #29 pick

Chicago trades:

#3 pick

Orlando trades:

McGrady

Indiana gets:
    McGrady

Chicago gets:
    Harrington

Orlando gets:
    #3 pick
    Pollard
    #29 pick

Why?
    Indiana: Al and Pollard for T-Mac. Duh.
    Chicago: #3 pick for Al
    Orlando: If they decide for whatever reason it's time for T-Mac to leave, then it's him for the #3 pick to go with the #1 pick (either two good picks or a huge bargaining chip), and the #29 pick for good measure. And Pollard gives them more size.

If Orlando loses a lot of leverage with Tmac [having to make a S&T to avoid losing him for nothing], that trade could work. #1 and #3 [Okafor and Livingston?] would be two pretty nice players to build around. But as it stands now, it's not going down.

As geezer says, the only way we trade for a high pick is if we've got a deal on the table, unless we've got our eye on somebody up there for some reason.

I think the Al/Pollard for #3/Pippen rumour may have some weight in this. [would Pip's contract be cap space, or would it not come off the books until after the season? And he is retiring, right?] I could see us using the pick we get in a three-way deal [or a later deal that we orchestrated already] to get a 2-guard. Remember, Larry said he wants to find a replacement for Reggie, not just a fill-in for a couple years. Then we could use the cap space to pick up Blount or another decent big man.

Anyway, I could see a deal something like the one Hicks came up with happening. Maybe not with Tmac, at least not yet, but with that general setup.

Remember, Larry said he wants to find a replacement for Reggie, not just a fill-in for a couple years.
    I read everything and I don't remember Larry saying this! Do you have a link?

Remember, Larry said he wants to find a replacement for Reggie, not just a fill-in for a couple years.
    I'm still looking for a link, but the article I'm thinking of [I think it was the "Reggie's replacement not on the roster" one...?] talked about Larry and Donnie wanting to find Reggie's heir apparent....

I gotta believe that's the way to go. Somebody like QRich or JRich would be great, somebody like Jon Barry would be a temporary fix, which doesn't really address the issue: Reggie's on the way out, and we need someone to take his spot when he's done.

I think Freddie may ultimately be that guy, but from everything that's being said, we're looking to add a 2-guard.

I'm still looking for a link, but the article I'm thinking of [I think it was the "Reggie's replacement not on the roster" one...?] talked about Larry and Donnie wanting to find Reggie's heir apparent....

I agree Bird wants a replacement for Reggie, but he didn't come close to saying anything like that in the article (below) you are referring to. http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/151996-1317-179.html

I agree Bird wants a replacement for Reggie, but he didn't come close to saying anything like that in the article (below) you are referring to. http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/151996-1317-179.html
    If that's the article, then my memory is shot.... I could have sworn there was another article like that one, but not written by Kravitz [more quotes, less opinion].

I'm probably wrong, sorry about that.

If Luke Jackson were to somehow fall to us, I say you have to take him. He may not be bona-fide starter material, but Fred would sure love it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

If Luke Jackson were to somehow fall to us, I say you have to take him. He may not be bona-fide starter material, but Fred would sure love it.
    Of course. Maybe we could get Ridnour from Seattle.... and Chris Christopherson is still available.

Heck, we could fill all our holes with Ducks!