Thread: Three way Ind/Dallas/Cleveland.....

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Three way Ind/Dallas/Cleveland.....

Indiana
    Josh Howard
    Brandon Bass
    Wally Szczerbiak
    Erick Snow
    19th pick

Cleveland
    Jason Kidd

Dallas
    Jermaine O'neal
    Mike Dunleavy

We take a talent hit on this trade, but free up some money to resign Granger, plus have some flexibility to deal at the deadline. We get a true 2 guard in Howard to pair with Danny and get out of the final year of O'neals deal, saving us 23 million. We also get Bass who has some promise. This would give us about 15-20 million in cap room after next year. Replacing Dun with Howard also helps our perimeter defense a little. Plus an extra #1 to offer in a trade or a big man.

Dallas gains a post presence to team up with Dirk, and Dunleavy to help Terry handle the ball. Plus Cuban has the deep pockets to take a chance on O'neal without batting an eye.

Cleveland wanted Kidd at the deadline but didn't have the pieces to satisfy NJ, but we on the other hand would welcome the extra first rounder along with the 20 million in relief. And Kidd wouldn't be happy here anyways.

Our roster after this trade going into the draft

PG
    Tinsley
    Diener
    Snow (7 Million Expiring)

SG
    Howard
    Daniels (7 Million Expiring)

SF
    Granger
    Szczerbiak (13 Million Expiring)
    Williams

PF/C
    Foster (6.5 Million Expiring)
    Murphy
    Diogu
    Bass

We would be a little light on bigs, but we would have 3 picks in the first 43 to address that. Then hopefully we can find someone interested in Jamal.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 04-29-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Three way Ind/Dallas/Cleveland.....

I really don't see Cubes pulling the trigger on this one. For one, it would be admitting that the Kidd blockbuster was a complete bust (and with the right coach, it doesn't have to be). For another, he won't take on O'Neal's albatross contract, considering how injury-prone he is and the fact that he would just take minutes away from two of the highest-paid players on the team (Dirk and Dampier).

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That would leave Dallas very poor at the PG position. Terry is good, but not the quality true PG I think the Mavs need and are happy to have in Kidd.

I think Dallas would just come back as the same team and hope to develop some chemistry through training camp and the off-season.... I see them possibly addressing their Center needs in the off-season but not JO at the cost of Kidd.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watched the game last night of Dallas and noticed that Bass is coming along... Dampier wasn't in the game but 8 min and wasn't in at the end of the game.

Dallas was trying to match NO's quickness with Terry on Paul, leaving Kidd on Pargo. Byron Scott was smart to have both quick guards Pargo and Paul on the floor and let Dallas figure out who Kidd was going to have to guard. Terry did a decent job, but Paul is a MVP candidate for a reason.

Wish Kidd would post up and use his size, but most of the offense was run through Dirk.

Bass was decent, but I agree with the thought that Dallas needs an upgrade of shot blocker in the post.

Chandler was doing well against Dirk in the post. Having a JO would give Dallas a shotblocker as well as a matchup nightmare between Dirk or JO.

Still, don't think Dallas would want to trade Kidd, but they would be smart to try to get a guick PG to match up with Paul and Parker. I think Phoenix is in a similar boat with Nash.

I'm unimpressed by Howard, who was missing a lot of shots last night.

And I think Stackhouse is a old, washed-up jerk.

I don't do a trade with Dallas as they don't have any first round draft picks for a while. A three-way would be the way to go.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would leave Dallas very poor at the PG position. Terry is good, but not the quality true PG I think the Mavs need and are happy to have in Kidd.

I think Dallas would just come back as the same team and hope to develop some chemistry through training camp and the off-season.... I see them possibly addressing their Center needs in the off-season but not JO at the cost of Kidd.
    My thinking was maybe they would go out and pursue a defensive minded PG like Chris Duhon to pair with Jason Terry and Stackhouse with the MLE. Then with JO down low they would improve thier defense greatly and have a low post option finally. That would help free up Dirk and Terry for more open looks.

Also on Howard, he had a bad series no doubt, but he has produced very well in the playoffs the four years prior. He averaged 21 and 10 in the series against GS last year.

Bass is coming along nicely, although he'll likely be gone after this year since he plays the same position as Dirk. He would be a nice addition to a young rebuilding team like us.

I also think if they could turn Kidd into O'neal they would be very happy. Kidd is obviously done, and next year he'll be even slower than he is now. When you are up against Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Steve Nash, and Baron Davis, , that is not good at all. I think if Dallas stands pat they won't even make the playoffs next year. You have a Portland team that will be coming back with Oden and another lottery pick added in the mix. The west is flat out brutal.

Far fetched trade no doubt, but I think it's a descent trade for all teams involved.